Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 49 of 137 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 136 137
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

Each one is about a minute and looks at Doctor's 1-8 with interviews of the actors. Interestingly they tie the Doctors into pop culture of the time.

Bow ties are coool.
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think Tennant is the narrator for the Harnell one I am watching.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53

Cool! What episode is that?

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It's almost definitely David Tennant narrating.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Beardguy57

Cool! What episode is that?

Ray's most recent youtube postings.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Oh okay! Duh, I guess I was not thinking.

I just now looked at those.

They are fun.

I remember seeing that 1996 Doctor Who movie and hoping they'd bring the series back.

It took another 9 years, and, from what I can see,. it was well worth the wait.

I guess I love this show more than Star Trek, Stargate SG - 1... and any other sci - fi show.

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Rose from the dead?

Quote:
Billie Is Back!

Rose Tyler returns for Series Four.

Following a series of unconfirmed reports across the media this morning, we're delighted to officially confirm that Billie Piper will return as Rose Tyler in Series Four of Doctor Who.

Anything you may read elsewhere about when, how or for how long Rose returns to Doctor Who should be treated as pure speculation at this point.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
question:
Tom Baker is saying he's 760. But I'm certain that the current Doctor said he was 900.

So is there a "relative present" on the show that matches our own time (where his companions come from) and then we're to assume that between episodes and series he has had many travels and adventures that have built up 150 years or so of unseen stories?
I like that idea a bit more than assuming he had centuries of dicking around and then had to regenerate 8 times in 40 years. It also leaves open the option of untold stories. Like maybe the Fourth Doctor wasn't around for 7 years, he was around for 50 we just only saw 7 of those years.

Yes, there is a lot of each incarnations life that we never see. The 5th Doctor, Davison, had a lot of the episodes (like Hartnell) bookend into each other. But, there are a few gaps in there. And, given the nature of time travel, all it takes is a single gap.

For example, the 9th Doctor asks Rose to come with him. She says no, and he dematerializes. He reappears again only a minute later, however, he could have been gone a hundred years, and had a hundred adventurers, before coming back to that moment after he left. It's the same with every Doctor, and the main reasoning how Big Finish Audios creates new adventures with past Doctors and companions.

So, it's undoubted that many, many years pass for each incarnation.

I wonder what you longterm fans feel about regeneration. I came in with Tenth as the current and am able to read about the past ones with the kind of perspective that lets me see it one way, but you guys got attached to actors and then saw the regenerations as they aired. Do you guys feel that it is the same character just from different perspectives, or do you look at each one as being distinctive?

A little of both, really. Doctor Who is brilliant when it comes to the idea of regeneration. It's the only show where the main lead can get killed off at any time. The show can still go on, but, you have to at least say goodbye to that actor.

They always say the first Doctor you watch on the show becomes "your Doctor". It's the one you start out with, and basically defines how you see the character. So, yes, watching in real time with the series, it's always pretty tough to let the one you know go in place of a new guy.

And, he is without a doubt the same character, from different perspectives. Every incarnation just shines the spotlight on a different aspect of the Doctor. And, that's part of the brilliance of the character right there. To legitimately allow ten different actors to flesh him out over forty-plus years, while at the same time retaining that air of mystery. It's a extraordinary balancing act that show pulls off.

Quote:
One thing I notice in looking at the past Doctors is that each regeneration seems to be like an update. Wherein the events in the Doctor's life shape the regeneration. For example he was an old man who became younger and more active to match his active life of exploration. The Sixth Doctor being an asshole might be because he in some way blamed his companion for the death of the Fifth. The Seventh Doctor may have been an attempt to be more likeable and friendly. the Eighth Doctor is stronger and younger than the prior ones perhaps because he was caught offguard and shot and died a slow painful death while weak and at the mercy of others. The Ninth seems harder and more basic perhaps in mourning for the loss of the Time Lords, while the Tenth has an accent closer to Rose's and seems to have adopted her joy for their adventures, whereas Ninth was a bit more reserved towards things and had a "seen it" attitude.
That's just my take on it.

That's an awesome take, really. I can see where you are coming from in a lot of that. Whatever the current incarnation seems to lack, the next one makes up for or counters it.

I also find it neat that the character seems to run on a cycle of five, when it comes to matching/similar personalities, and the like. You can see what I'm talking about with the pic below. They're not exact, of course. But, the similarity is there...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Yeah, it is. I've got that entire thing on disc. It's the Confidential episode they showed right before "Rose" aired that first night. Want me to rip it and upload it to Rapidshare for you?

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Jon Pertwee was the first Doctor on when I really got into the show about 24 years ago.

It was " The Time Monster " that I saw.

It was great fun! I remember seeing those adventures for the first time and going " Wow!" at the end of each episode.

Then Tom Baker's Doctor came around.

He was and still is quite awesome.

I agree with other evaluations of his seven year run: You could tell he was quite bored by season 5, but what he did for the first four years with the character was brilliant and earned him much acclaim as the favorite Doctor of many, including me.

I am not sure? but it seemed like many of those little ad libs were written by him.

Fourth Doctor: " Your name.. it's too long. What is it again? "

Romana: " Romandervratalunda."

Fourth Doctor: " It's too long. If you were in danger, by the time I called out your name to warn you, you would be dead! How about if we shorten it to " Romana" ? "

Romana: " I don't like that."

Fourth Doctor: " It's either that or I call you Fred."

Romana: " Okay, Fred it is, then."

Fourth Doctor: " Alright, follow me, Romana."

That was a quote from " The Ribos Operation."

life." - Tuvok.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus

Yeah, it is. I've got that entire thing on disc. It's the Confidential episode they showed right before "Rose" aired that first night. Want me to rip it and upload it to Rapidshare for you?

You are gay!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Cunt!!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Yes!
Yes you are!

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

Fourth Doctor: " Your name.. it's too long. What is it again? "

Romana: " Romandervratalunda."

Fourth Doctor: " It's too long. If you were in danger, by the time I called out your name to warn you, you would be dead! How about if we shorten it to " Romana" ? "

Romana: " I don't like that."

Fourth Doctor: " It's either that or I call you Fred."

Romana: " Okay, Fred it is, then."

Fourth Doctor: " Alright, follow me, Romana."

That was a quote from " The Ribos Operation."

i loved that exchange. in fact that particular bit kept me watching because i got such a laugh out of it.

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

this is a nicely done video. they took the song from the sequence where the Tenth Doctor tries on a new look and put it with video from various Doctors doing the same. It has some funny stuff, especially Baker's outfits.

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

bloopers from the Fourth and Tenth Doctor.

Bow ties are coool.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Thanks Ray! I needed a good laugh!

The second video was especially funny.

life." - Tuvok.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

i think this is the same people who did the Obi Wan Kenobi buying a used car sketch.

Bow ties are coool.
=
500+ posts
=
500+ posts

this is a nicely done video. they took the song from the sequence where the Tenth Doctor tries on a new look and put it with video from various Doctors doing the same. It has some funny stuff, especially Baker's outfits.

That's teh first time I've ever seen that...very cool.

old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts
Yeah, that two parter was pretty cool.

Can't wait till next season starts to see what will happen with the Titanic, and why it was able to ram a hole through the Tardis...
When did this happen? I watch it on BBC America. Is there some other network it's on??

How you doin'?
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
It is on Sci- Fi channel, Joey, but the season is over. New Doctor Who episodes will resume next April or May.

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm watching Planet of the Spiders, John Pertwee's final episode of his reign as The Doctor.

I haven't seen that many Pertwee episodes and was quite surprised when The Doctor fought like six guys at a time.

Did this happen often?

There has been a few times I've seen other Doctors whoop some ass too. Starting with Hartnell.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I think Tom Baker tripped a Cyberman with his scarf once...

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
He also fought Count Grendel in a sword fight in Androids of Tara.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Yeah, I musta forgetted about that one!

Planet Of The Spiders is one of Pertwee's best.

He was a great Doctor.

life." - Tuvok.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
just finished Blink (I skipped a few to get to the finale). that was a great episode, and very creepy.

Bow ties are coool.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Blink is an outstanding episode!

tomorrow is part two of Army Of Ghosts.

Can't wait to see it.

life." - Tuvok.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Cybermen vs. Daleks. And I loved the Doctor's 3D glasses (hence my current avatar)

Bow ties are coool.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Cybermen vs. Daleks. And I loved the Doctor's 3D glasses (hence my current avatar)

Doctor Who avatars rock!

The Tardis in my avatar has a Christmas wreath on it...

life." - Tuvok.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

Doctor Who avatars rock!

The Tardis in my avatar has a Christmas wreath on it...

there are a lot of us with Doctor Who avatars now.

I'm giving Torchwood a chance, it's actually decent. Nowhere near as good as the main show but it's been ok. Anyone watch the Sarah Jane adventures? Is that any good?

Bow ties are coool.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I have not seen the Sarah Jane Adventures, but I, too, like Torchwood!

Fave episodes:

Random Shoes

Out Of Time

life." - Tuvok.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I've never watched Sarah Jane Adventures, it looks to be for very young children.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I've never watched Sarah Jane Adventures, it looks to be for very young children.

It's definitley aimed at kids though I wouldn't say very young. The Slitheen were in the first two parter & while they didn't get into the whole business of how they kill people & then wear their skins to look human, well it's not exactly Sesame Street. Sarah at one point decides to let a Slitheen child die begging for it's life because she knows it will just do more hunting & killing.

I find the show watchable but not anything I'm really enthuised about personally. The character of Sarah Jane is a mom now & also fills the role of the Doctor character. She doesn't really get to have any fun like the Doctor does.

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I'm watching Planet of the Spiders, John Pertwee's final episode of his reign as The Doctor.

I haven't seen that many Pertwee episodes and was quite surprised when The Doctor fought like six guys at a time.

Did this happen often?

There has been a few times I've seen other Doctors whoop some ass too. Starting with Hartnell.

Pertwee is, essentially, the James Bond Doctor. He fights. He creates/uses gadgets. He drives really fast.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

Did this happen often?

Pertwee is, essentially, the James Bond Doctor. He fights. He creates/uses gadgets. He drives really fast.

Pertwee was the ass-kicker of The Doctor's. Many incarnations have fought with swords, and/or had to resort to a gun at some point. But, Pertwee is, generally, the only one to get his hands dirty.

Unless, of course, you count Eccleston tossing that guard into a wall in Bad Wolf...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Joey From Friends
When did this happen? I watch it on BBC America. Is there some other network it's on??

BBC America is always at least one season behind the "current" season we get on the Sci-Fi channel (which is usually at least three-to-six months behind the actual airing in the UK).

While it's off right now, since season four hasn't even started in England yet, the show normally runs every Friday night on the Sci-Fi channel...

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Blink is an outstanding episode!

this is neat/weird. it's the Doctor's DVD easter egg message that was seen in Blink.

Bow ties are coool.
=
500+ posts
=
500+ posts
Blink is a very good episode if you go to the official doctor Who website (Blink story) you can read the story that the episode is based on...it has the 9th doctor in it and its more comical.

By the way...I was just watching the 2nd season "Army of Ghost"....did anyone else notice that Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones) is one of the cybermen controlled Torchwood people!

Last edited by Sonhaven; 2007-12-01 11:05 PM.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Sonhaven, I like your new avatar!

That is Robert Culp in the original Outer Limits episode from about 1963 called " Demon With The Glass Hand."

One of my favorite episodes from that show.

life." - Tuvok.

=
500+ posts
=
500+ posts
thanks, its one of my Favs too

Page 49 of 137 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 136 137

Link Copied to Clipboard