Just saw it.

Excellent film. The cinematography was awe-inspiring at times.

The only problem was the lack of an archetype or counterpart for Rambo and I was also hoping it was more quotable. Stallone was talking with Rush Limbaugh on the radio before I left to see the movie and he said something along the lines of, "What they don't understand is that the world is savage and war and death are a way of life. Peace was the accident." That was so bloody righteous I got the impression he was quoting Rambo, but he didn't say it in the movie.

I suppose it was best he remain silent since Rambo served as a spectator of the more extreme opinions. But in lieu of this, I was hoping for a likewise character with a similar history to Rambo who would be more vocal, egotistical, and blood-thirsty than John. He'd be a devil's advocate who was as guerrilla driven as Rambo but more verbal about their mutual feelings about the world and about war. And then Rambo would kill him in a showdown before manning that turret.

But that's me and I'm a romantic.

The movie was splendid with a great story, top-notch camera work, realistic violence, and absolutely oppressive war scenes. The amount of action was more than satisfactory, but I felt it could have had more abstract elements like a character who actually did an analysis of Rambo's mindset. This would have been much more effective in explaining Rambo and his nature rather than just showing quick-as-lightening flashbacks from the past movies. It would have helped a friend of mine who saw it with me since she'd never actually seen the previous movies.