Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
G.I. Joe Director Drafted

Film said to be ramping up fast.
by Stax

US, August 11, 2007 - Word has leaked out about who will direct the live-action feature film version of G.I. Joe. IGN has been informed that Stephen Sommers, the director behind the first two Mummy films as well as Van Helsing, has been hired to helm the Lorenzo di Bonaventura production for Paramount-DreamWorks. Di Bonaventura and the studios recently struck gold with another Hasbro-to-film project, Transformers.

Both IGN and IESB.net were tipped off to the news last night. IGN's source advised us that the project will start immediately; studios are rushing many projects into production in advance of an expected industry strike that could last indefinitely.

We were also advised that the filmmakers will mesh together two existing drafts by different screenwriters (Skip Woods' version and an earlier draft by the Four Brothers team of David Elliot & Paul Lovett).

No word yet on casting, locations or a release date.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I hated the Mummy movies. The Indiana Jones movies did not need to be remade.

I'm excited about this though. It will be better than Transformers.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Actually, I disagree. I think it will be worse than Transformers, and an awful movie. I mean, just to play the antagonist and all. I haven't heard anything about it...

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
...I have all the Mummy movies. And Van Helsing. I wish Sommers would make a friggin' Hawkman movie.

Now, on to more imporant things...who should be casted as Flint?

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
He's good at big action movies. Thats the one good thing. If Michael Bay can make one of the greatest summer movies ever Sommers can make this.

I'm also hoping they go with second tier and unknown actors like they did with Transformers.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
My first take on the second draft was that they weren't necessarily doing the ARAH characters just using the name. I believe Sommers preferred the second version to the first-which had a core of 5-10 familiar ARAH characters I believe.

Let's face it..only action junkies will see this if it doesn't have Snake Eyes, Scarlett, Duke, Flint, Roadblock and Cobra Commander.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
And they should just start teh movie like this--to hell with all teh introductions...maybe leave out the theme music though..heh.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Or this...

or this...

Or This...

Just not the Nowhereman Action Force version.....

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
What Does G.I. Joe Stand For?

More details surface on the live-action film.
by Stax

August 24, 2007 - Who needs A Real American Hero? Not Paramount or Hasbro it seems. The studio's live-action feature film version of G.I. Joe will no longer revolve around a top-secret U.S. special forces team but rather an international operation.

In a follow-up to their confirmation that Stephen Sommers will direct G.I. Joe, Variety offers this new description of the team: "G.I. Joe is now a Brussels-based outfit that stands for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, an international co-ed force of operatives who use hi-tech equipment to battle Cobra, an evil organization headed by a double-crossing Scottish arms dealer. The property is closer in tone to X-Men and James Bond than a war film."

Wow. A Real Globally Integrated Hero! Can we assume that this "double-crossing Scottish arms dealer" is Destro? And does that mean there will be no Cobra Commander in it?

So why the changes? Hasbro and Paramount execs recently spoke about the challenges of marketing a film about the U.S. military at a time when the current U.S. administration and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are at a low-point in global polls. When a studio makes a film as expensive as G.I. Joe will likely be, they want to know that as many people as possible around the world will want to see it. In other words, G.I. Joe -- "A Real American Hero" -- is a tough sell.

Although the new G.I. Joe team will be international in scope, don't expect Joe's British counterpart Action Man to be included after all. IESB.net reports, "Looks like he will be gone, this new script is set to be 100% GI Joe, it will revolve around the characters we all grew up with fighting Cobra, Destro, the Baroness and Storm Shadow. When do they expect to have this new script ready? Six to eight weeks. Pre-production is expected to start by October-November and production to start early '08."

"Our vision (for The Mummy) was clear the time the first trailer played during the Super Bowl, and by the time this one plays a Super Bowl, you'll see the coolest characters and visuals you can imagine, and beyond-state-of-the-art equipment," Sommers informed Variety. "I wouldn't have jumped into this just because of the Hasbro-Transformers tie. Remember, Pirates of the Caribbean was a big hit, but Haunted Mansion not so much."

Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura added, "My experience with beloved properties is that characters, attitude and tone are even more important than plot. ... Paramount showed a great deal of confidence in Stephen's take, and our ability as producers to get this up and running for a February start. His passion for the characters and the world convinced the studio this was something they couldn't resist."

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Why don't they just make them french and get it over with?

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Okay...now...I'm a little worried...well, maybe the Halo movie will be good...

Megatron and Starscream
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I watched the original movie last night. There's no need to make another one. They're just gonna fuck it up.

I can understand changing some things but to base them in Europe? Thats like making the Transformers not transform. Its real American heroes, not pansy ass european heroes.

rex #860108 2007-08-30 12:25 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
What Does G.I. Joe Stand For?

More details surface on the live-action film.
by Stax

August 24, 2007 - Who needs A Real American Hero? Not Paramount or Hasbro it seems. The studio's live-action feature film version of G.I. Joe will no longer revolve around a top-secret U.S. special forces team but rather an international operation.

In a follow-up to their confirmation that Stephen Sommers will direct G.I. Joe, Variety offers this new description of the team: "G.I. Joe is now a Brussels-based outfit that stands for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, an international co-ed force of operatives who use hi-tech equipment to battle Cobra, an evil organization headed by a double-crossing Scottish arms dealer. The property is closer in tone to X-Men and James Bond than a war film."

Wow. A Real Globally Integrated Hero! Can we assume that this "double-crossing Scottish arms dealer" is Destro? And does that mean there will be no Cobra Commander in it?

So why the changes? Hasbro and Paramount execs recently spoke about the challenges of marketing a film about the U.S. military at a time when the current U.S. administration and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are at a low-point in global polls. When a studio makes a film as expensive as G.I. Joe will likely be, they want to know that as many people as possible around the world will want to see it. In other words, G.I. Joe -- "A Real American Hero" -- is a tough sell.

Although the new G.I. Joe team will be international in scope, don't expect Joe's British counterpart Action Man to be included after all. IESB.net reports, "Looks like he will be gone, this new script is set to be 100% GI Joe, it will revolve around the characters we all grew up with fighting Cobra, Destro, the Baroness and Storm Shadow. When do they expect to have this new script ready? Six to eight weeks. Pre-production is expected to start by October-November and production to start early '08."

"Our vision (for The Mummy) was clear the time the first trailer played during the Super Bowl, and by the time this one plays a Super Bowl, you'll see the coolest characters and visuals you can imagine, and beyond-state-of-the-art equipment," Sommers informed Variety. "I wouldn't have jumped into this just because of the Hasbro-Transformers tie. Remember, Pirates of the Caribbean was a big hit, but Haunted Mansion not so much."

Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura added, "My experience with beloved properties is that characters, attitude and tone are even more important than plot. ... Paramount showed a great deal of confidence in Stephen's take, and our ability as producers to get this up and running for a February start. His passion for the characters and the world convinced the studio this was something they couldn't resist."

Of all things to turn into a liberal fantasy, why did they have to choose G.I. Joe? From what it sounds like, they are taking everything that was great about it, and the Real American Hero line, and ruining it.

It's a sad indication of where Hollywood is at when making a patriotic movie featuring "a Real American Hero" is considered a tough sell, and shelved so easily.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
it's a movie based on a toy, G-man. it's not like they're doing a film about George Washington set in 19th Century France.

Bow ties are coool.
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
I'm not as pissed as them ditching the ARAH part of the title--I just assumed they would do that anyway.

I'm pissed that they don't even have the balls to call Cobra a group of "terrorists".

For fuck's sake...and it's not going to be military..it's going to be X-Men????

What so no killing? No death? No consequences to war? Even Bruckheimer would do a better job than Sommers....Fuck Van Helsing was awful.

They may as well shitcan this peach of a gem already.

What's next is Snake Eyes gonna talk now??? What actor wants to play a guy that doesn't talk or show his scared face??? This is gonna suck I assume.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, that's pretty much my point too, Piggy.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Sienna Miller Recruited for G.I. Joe
  • Sienna Miller is the first actor to enlist in Paramount Pictures' big-budget tentpole G.I. Joe, reports Variety.

The British actress will play the film's female lead, described as a raven-haired baroness and sexy femme fatale skilled in espionage.

Stephen Sommers directs the live-action film based on the Hasbro toys, comic book and TV series.

Paramount, which has set a mid-February start date, has slotted the film for an August 7, 2009, release.

The story is set at Brussels-based GIJOE, an acronym for the Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, and revolves around an international co-ed force of operatives who use high-tech equipment to battle Cobra, an evil org headed by a Scottish arms dealer.

=
500+ posts
=
500+ posts
Gotta admit G.I. Joe not being American is pretty lame.

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
I just had a breakthrough. This whole international thing reminds me of Captain Planet.

No wonder I don't like the idea!

Megatron and Starscream
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
The more I read about this movie the more disappointed I am in it. I can't believe how they are wussing out of making it a real G.I. Joe movie. All this will do is please the vocal minority of foreigners (who should make their own movies if they don't like this ours) and anti-military anti-American bug eaters who will protest any movie with violence or anything that shows approval towards America.

Transformers was respectful towards the military and it made tons of money. By pussyifing this movie all they are doing is pleasing a bunch of tards that wouldn't have seen it in the first place.

Its no wonder the rest of the world hates us. We can't even stand up for ourselves in our own movies.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
They probably won't even go into where the origin of the phrase "G.I. Joe" came from. In case anyone asks, it's from World War II, when the U.S. of Fucking A. was saving the French, who folded like Rob playing strip poker with Hulk Hogan, from that skunk of a Fuhrer!

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
The more I read about this movie the more disappointed I am in it. I can't believe how they are wussing out of making it a real G.I. Joe movie. All this will do is please the vocal minority of foreigners (who should make their own movies if they don't like this ours) and anti-military anti-American bug eaters who will protest any movie with violence or anything that shows approval towards America.

Transformers was respectful towards the military and it made tons of money. By pussyifing this movie all they are doing is pleasing a bunch of tards that wouldn't have seen it in the first place.

Its no wonder the rest of the world hates us. We can't even stand up for ourselves in our own movies.

Megatron and Starscream
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf
They probably won't even go into where the origin of the phrase "G.I. Joe" came from. In case anyone asks, it's from World War II, when the U.S. of Fucking A. was saving the French, who folded like Rob playing strip poker with Hulk Hogan, from that skunk of a Fuhrer!

Oh God. The French. I totally forgot the French. This means that my favorite beret ass-kicker will go from this:

To this:

AUGH! Keep Flint away from the French!

Megatron and Starscream
notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
I never thought I'd say this, but it'd be better if Michael Bay were making this movie.

Last edited by notwedge; 2007-11-27 12:25 AM. Reason: my inability to type correctly

=
500+ posts
=
500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Cowgirl Jack
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf

Oh God. The French. I totally forgot the French. This means that my favorite beret ass-kicker will go from this:

To this:

AUGH! Keep Flint away from the French!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
Actually, I disagree. I think it will be worse than Transformers, and an awful movie.

P.S. Transformers was fun.

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
So, I've been in the mood to read more of those GI Joe comics...

...can we please not have a terrorist that was in the car-selling business? Please? As much as I enjoy some of this stuff, the cloned dinosaurs and ameobas do border on the silly...

Megatron and Starscream
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: notwedge
I never thought I'd say this, but it'd be better if Michael Bay were making this movie.

He should be put in charge of all my favorite 80's toy movies.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Eccleston suits up for 'G.I. Joe'

Chris Eccleston has been cast as the villainous Destro in Paramount's "G.I. Joe." Repped by Endeavor and Principal Entertainment, Eccleston's credits include "28 Days Later" to "Heroes."

Irish-born actor David Murray originally had been set for the role, but withdrew from the film because of visa issues.

Stephen Sommers is directing the latest script penned by Stuart Beattie.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Fuck. I'm starting to actually want to see this movie now.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, Eccleston as Destro is an excellent casting move.

Unfortunately, it's the only decision the producers have made that isn't a massive cluster fuck.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
............................The Doctor is................Destro??

What?

This is the oddest casting I've heard of in awhile.

It kind of saddens me that he's willing to do a piece of crap like this. But, he was in 'Gone In Sixty-Second', so this really shouldn't be that big of a surprise...

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
He was also in Doctor Who.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
indeed.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
He was also in Doctor Who.

I don't get it...

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
You said he was in a piece of crap movie and I mentioned doctor who.

Yeah, it was a bad joke.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Ah. Right. Well you win some, you lose some...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1582608/story.jhtml
 Quote:
Brian Goldner is the chief operating officer at Hasbro, which first introduced Joe to action-minded adolescents in 1964, and is also the executive producer on the "Transformers" and "G.I. Joe" movies. " 'G.I. Joe' has just gone into filming this past week, with a great cast and a tremendous story all based on the comics and the animation," Goldner said. "I think fans, and fans to come, will really love what we're doing."

Undoubtedly, such statements are as musical to the ears of longtime fans as the TV show's theme song. But stars like Dennis Quaid, Sienna Miller and Marlon Wayans have been met with varying degrees of enthusiasm from such fans, and Quaid himself recently confirmed that many beloved characters — including Wild Bill, Shipwreck and Tomax and Xamot — won't be in the flick.

"We all really loved what G.I. Joe was about in the '80s; we loved that story arc and the concept of Joe vs. Cobra," said Goldner, explaining that the people who created those characters will return, even if some of their creations won't. Comics writer Larry Hama, Goldner confirmed, "is onboard, and he's working with us on the script.

"And you may see him in the movie," he added.

Noting that the flick, directed by "Mummy" mastermind Stephen Sommers, will largely sidestep the TV show and be more "about the comic books," Goldner revealed some of the major characters and plotlines the film will explore. "We all know of the Arashikage [ninja clan], and we all know of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, but we need to build that story," he explained. "We all know the story of Duke, and the story of the Baroness. ... We know the story of Destro, but do we really? We need to go back and tell the origin story of how you get a Scottish arms dealer, who comes forward in history — how does that happen?"

"And Cobra Commander," he added, referring to the evil terrorist leader who fan sites have reported will be portrayed by "Brick" star Joseph Gordon-Levitt. "In effect, this is all about the rise of Cobra Commander. ... For fans, they're really going to love this, because we take them on a journey. ... We have to go through the first chapter and then build from there."

Goldner was also eager to respond to the controversy over rumors that the patriotic nature of "G.I. Joe" was being toned down in order to be more appealing to a worldwide, post-9/11 audience. "Duke, in our story, really represents the pre-1983 G.I. Joe," he said, linking Channing Tatum's character to the dolls of the '60s and '70s. "If those fans that grew up on the 12-inch Army man are looking for where their anchor should be, it's in Duke; he's the leader of the team and clearly American.

"But the story, just like in the comic books, was a story that took us all over the world," he continued. "That's all we were really trying to get at. And everything else that fans have heard, about the early ideas or contemplations, that's really gone. ... We're talking about a story that's going to take us all over the world, from the desert to under the water, to the mountains to cities. ... Clearly, the American military is involved, as are other forces. But at the end of the day, the force that matters is the G.I. Joe force, and the Pit, and all the things that relate to that."

We caught up with Goldner at the New York Toy Fair, where he was giving fans a sneak preview of the G.I. Joe toys of the future. At the front of his thoughts, however, was the real-life stars who'd soon be creating the action figures' action. "We think it's amazing to have Channing Tatum as Duke, because I think he has a different kind of fanbase," said the executive producer, who in May will become Hasbro's CEO. "Clearly, Sienna Miller has a wonderful fanbase. Dennis Quaid as General Hawk, he has a tremendous fanbase. So bringing them all together, as an ensemble cast, is going to be really dynamic and something that people haven't seen before. But it'll still be very true to G.I. Joe."

The next question would seem to be a logical one: Will the Joes we know and love be replaced by toy versions of Marlon Wayans and Arnold Vosloo? "Well, what was so magical about the '80s G.I. Joe was the 3 3/4-inch product," Goldner said, revealing that the dimensions of the star-faced toys would be along the lines of the "Real American Hero" line. "[That size] gives people a chance to get all the figures but get all of the vehicles. So it's going to be in that scale. ... Very true to where we were in the 1980s, and then we'll take it forward.

"Steve Sommers is very different," Goldner said, contrasting him with "Transformers" director Michael Bay. "But he's perfect, because if you think about his movies like 'The Mummy,' it's the perfect action/adventure movie. If you think about what we're trying to do for G.I. Joe, really bringing back that '80s G.I. Joe from the Marvel comics — those first 155 issues are really our focus. If you think about that, you'll understand what we're trying to get at with all those characters and all the intricate relationships.

"I don't think you'd see this movie as wacky," he promised, alluding to some of the more eccentric characters from the cartoon show. "I think you're going to see this movie as being inspirational for younger kids and totally in the sweet spot for the guys who grew up on G.I. Joe."

In August 2009, we'll see it with our own eyes. In the meantime, "G.I. Joe" continues to shoot all over the world, with a budget so huge that it makes the U.S.S. Flagg aircraft carrier play set look like something you'd get at a 99-cent store.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Yeah, Eccleston as Destro is an excellent casting move.

Unfortunately, it's the only decision the producers have made that isn't a massive cluster fuck.

Hello Pariah!

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
The casting just seems bizarre. Some really good actors (The Doctor and Mr. Eko) one obvious fanboy choice (Ray Park as Snake Eyes) and some things that seem like they were made by some sort of random casting generator (The 3rd rock kid as Cobra Commander?)

I don't like what I've heard about the "international" Joe team (I keep imagining them casting a French Flint). It looks like it's going to be a mess, but I can't picture exactly what particular kind of mess.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard