Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Uschi
Alan Moore let them censor the comic?

The people wants to know!

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
plus he really likes milk!

Just not the type that comes in bottles!

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
if you know what he means!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
and I think you do!

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Tetra Pak?

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i barely knew her!

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
So say we all!

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
 Originally Posted By: whomod

Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
Ozy actually looks good...just not like Ozy!
He looks like Robin from the Schumacher days!

The first impression I get is that it looks very dystopian German expressionist. Very Fritz Lang, very fascist. Which is I suspect just based on the who the character is, the entire point.

Yeah cause Ozy was always about being German.......fuck all the Egyptian stuff!

Egyptian? I thought he was into Alexander the Great?
But I think the whole harsh German dystopian angle works. He wanted to kill a million people to bring on world peace. What other country is more identified with mass slaughter for one man's vision of the future than Germany?

Bow ties are coool.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Fiji?

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man

Egyptian? I thought he was into Alexander the Great?

But he took his name and imagery from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozymandias

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
This movie isn't out for another year? Geez.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts

He fixes the cable?
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Heh. Alan Moore as Rorshach sounds like a British Tom Waits.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk

It's nice to see that you're coming to terms with you true self, there, Mxy.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Yes, I do think that God, if real, would have no big problem with homosexuality. Why, do you feel differently? You fucking nazi.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Quote:
Retail’s love affair with the DVD is on the rocks and Warner Brothers Entertainment would like to patch things up.

Faced with a decline in DVD sales, Warner Brothers, part of Time Warner, is planning an unusual effort around its upcoming adaptation of the popular graphic novel “Watchmen.” Directed by Zack Snyder and set for a March 2009 release, the big-budget movie tells the story of a group of retired superheroes who are tied to a conspiracy that could change history.

The twist is that Mr. Snyder, known for turning the Spartan comic book series “300” into a global hit movie, is also directing a separate-but-related picture that Warner plans to distribute exclusively on DVD.

The second film, tentatively called “Tales of the Black Freighter,” follows a side “Watchmen” storyline about a shipwreck and will arrive in stores five days after the main movie rolls out in theaters. The DVD will also include a documentary-style film called “Under the Hood” that will delve into the characters’ backstories.

Warner, the No. 1 distributor of DVDs, bills the effort as a way to renew retail excitement for little silver discs now that the once-booming market has matured.

After years of blistering growth, domestic DVD sales fell 3.2 percent last year to $15.9 billion, according to Adams Media Research, the first annual drop in the medium’s history. While it is still a blockbuster business, any decline is cause for concern because DVD sales can account for as much as 70 percent of revenue for a new film. Results for the first quarter this year were mixed, with overall sales flat but notable softness for some new releases like Warner’s box office hit “I Am Legend.”

As a result — and as consumer adoption of the next-generation Blu-ray discs lags — some important retail partners like Wal-Mart Stores have been starting to rethink how much shelf space they devote to the category. Also up for discussion is to what degree retailers market new releases in circulars and with in-store promotions.

“There is a fear that if the DVD category declines over time that any well-run retailer is going to re-evaluate its commitment,” said Ron Sanders, the president of Warner Home Video. “We are offering retailers a meaningful opportunity to be involved with the theatrical event, to have a product that will generate foot traffic and sales.”

If that sounds like spin, to some degree it is. The movie studio would not be drafting one of its top filmmakers and sinking millions into “Tales of the Black Freighter” if it did not see a direct benefit for itself.

The immediate goal is for the parallel release to help start a potential new movie franchise. As television advertising becomes less effective because of declining TV viewership, movie studios need to reach a mass audience somehow, and having what amounts to ads sitting on store shelves is seen as a crucial antidote.

The effort is also a way for Warner to get more DVD bang for not many more bucks. The “Watchmen” film, Mr. Synder said, will probably generate at least three DVDs: “Tales of the Black Freighter,” followed about four months later by release of “Watchmen” itself, and then an “ultimate” edition in which the two are edited together into one megamovie.

“The überfans of this property are going to go crazy for that,” Mr. Snyder said.

Warner has another reason to make nice with retailers. The studio, under added scrutiny from Wall Street now that its corporate parent plans to spin off Time Warner Cable, has annoyed chains by leading a movement in Hollywood to simultaneously release titles on DVD and on video-on-demand services.

Retailers worry that DVD sales will suffer from the lack of exclusivity, but Warner — which enjoys 60 percent profit margins for video on demand, compared to half that for physical DVD sales — says there is no cannibalization. Warner said this month that it would distribute many new releases simultaneously to DVD and on-demand services.

Warner downplayed any friction from the growth of video on demand. “Our retail partners haven’t seen a dramatic impact one way or another on their business, so they’re allowing us to work on it,” said Mr. Sanders.

Retailers seem to be taking a wait-and-see approach to Warner’s olive branch. Wal-Mart, the nation’s biggest DVD retailer, with as much as 40 percent of sales, declined to comment. Target, which has historically accounted for about 15 percent of DVD sales, said, “We’re always looking for opportunities to generate excitement in our entertainment business.”

Tom Adams, the founder of Adams Media Research, predicted that retailers would embrace the “Tales of the Black Freighter” strategy. “They have every reason to try it,” he said. “It’s a fresh idea and it’s something that will be of value to movie fans.”

Warner knows releasing a related film on DVD at the same time it is trying to motivate people to buy tickets to “Watchmen” is not without risk. Consumers could become confused about which is which. And if they are disappointed in the quality of “Tales of the Black Freighter,” the plan might hurt sales of the “Watchmen” DVD.

“We feel a great responsibility to do this well for exactly these reasons,” said Diane Nelson, president of Warner Premiere, the division responsible for direct-to-DVD projects. “The movies that we do under this parallel content strategy have to be viable in their own right.” Although Ms. Nelson declined to reveal the budget for “Tales of the Black Freighter,” she said it was 30 percent to 50 percent higher than a typical direct-to-DVD effort.

Still, some concessions were made because of the budget, Mr. Snyder said. The original plan was to tell the “Black Freighter” story in a visual style similar to the mock-historical “300.” But an early budget was approaching $20 million and the studio balked, he said. Instead, the feature will be animated.

Mr. Snyder said he was eager to head a direct-to-DVD project, in part because it would allow him to use more material from the “Watchmen” graphic novel.

“I thought the ‘Black Freighter’ story would never see the light of day,” he said. “The main picture is nearing three hours long and I know I have a fight on my hands just with that.”

In addition, the studio plans a dozen 22- to 26-minute Webisodes to help make the complex story easier for the uninitiated to digest. Called “The Watchmen Motion Comic,” it will be a panel-by-panel slide show of the graphic novel narrated by an actor.

Although no decisions have been made, Mr. Snyder, who is overseeing the digital component but leaving the details to others, said the Webisodes would probably be combined for later release on — you guessed it — DVD.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts

Awesome.

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Sikkbones
1500+ posts
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
are those official movie promotional figures and shit?

http://www.finalstage.ca
http:www.459.betrayer.ca
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
They're listed as 'Licensed Products'.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Comingsoon.net has confirmed that a trailer will be attached to screenings of "The Dark Knight."

the Offline
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
Mochahontas mad User Your current coital fantasy
400+ posts Thu Jul 17 2008 01:43 AM Viewing Active Topics

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
saw the trailer before Dark Knight. it looks really good. didnt hurt that they had playing one of my favorte smashing pumkins songs...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
Public Enemy #4
4000+ posts
I really liked how they pulled of Dr. Manhattan.

Oderint, dum metuant.

You are a god damned idiot, you know that? You ought to be smacked upside your dumb-fuck head, even after all these years. Shame on you!
-USCHI showin' some love

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
if you know what he means.....

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts

"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: K-nutreturns
saw the trailer before Dark Knight. it looks really good. didnt hurt that they had playing one of my favorte smashing pumkins songs...

The trailer looks damn good, but isn't that song the one SP did for Batman & Robin just slowed down?

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
theres two versions of the song. different lyrics. this is the better one...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
How many versions?

And this is when they started going hardcore emo. Don't like that SP. Prefer the bitter, angst ridden Pumpkins. The music is better and covers up Corigan's ridiculous lyrics.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
two

and meh. i liked it and it made the trailer just that much more badass for me...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
it looked so sweet on the imax screen...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
That. Looks. Fantastic.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
its not in the knut link, and blurry in the doc youtube vid, but in the theater trailer, note the smiley face "dot" in the date at the end

giant picture
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
yeah i saw it. it was a nice touch...

Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard