RKMBs
From the National Ledger:

Life imitates art, and apparently the Trey Parker and Matt Stone have a pretty good understanding of art. The creators of South Park pegged Brokeback Mountain years before seeing the film.

Ang Lee's "Brokeback Mountain", a tale of homosexual love in the mountains of Wyoming, won the Venice International Film Festival's Golden Lion award earlier this week and is fetching a lot of press.

In other words it is an Indie, or Independent film.

Rusty Shackleford pegs this perfectly calling Parker and Stone, modern prophets and claims that "once again proving that everything Eric Cartman ever says is always true."

Well---Cartmen did say, "Independent films are those black and white hippie movies; they're always about gay cowboys eating pudding."
K...seriously, who watches this shit? I like everything about being gay, but it just doesn't work on film. We have too much of a preconcieved idea of what cinema should be, and gay love stories don't work. It's too akward (even for me...so I can't imagine what breeders go through) to watch, inducing cringing and discomfort.

So who the fuck is this shit made for? It's always low budget, poorly executed shit.
Anne Hathaway gets naked in this movie, so it can't be that gay.
Quote:

Animalman said:
Anne Hathaway gets naked in this movie,

I should change the name of this thread to that.
Quote:

Animalman said:

I'm seeing this.
This is where I read about Brokeback Mountain. There was also an article on mrskin about it.

She's supposedly naked in the movie Havoc as well. I've been waiting for that one for what seems like decades.
I saw a preview and it just looked funny to see two cowboys embracing each other.
I wonder what G-man thinks.
He's probably turned on by it.
Marvel sold the film rights to Rawhide Kid?
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
I saw a preview...

Yeah...I stand corrected. After watching that preview, the movie actually looks rather good. Not your typical 'gay' tripe.
Quote:

Animalman said:

The secretary from Beverly Hillibillies?!?!?!!
Quote:

Franta said:
Quote:

Animalman said:

The secretary from Beverly Hillibillies?!?!?!!

The one from the Princess Diaries actually.
If it has some good buzz I might rent it. Considering the setting I doubt it's one of those films that feels it needs to depict your average "gay" person. That's where most of them fail.
'Brokeback' a horse laugh for Nathan

Was it an "Emperor's New Clothes" moment for "Brokeback Mountain"?

The cowboy-on-cowboy flick - starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as star-crossed lovers and Michelle Williams and Anne Hathaway as their unlucky wives - has been lavished with awards and critical acclaim, lassoing seven Golden Globe nominations and the Venice Film Festival's top honor, the Golden Lion.

But openly gay stage and screen star Nathan Lane went on the "Today" show Friday and, instead of treating the Ang Lee movie with customary reverence, had a satirical field day at "Brokeback's" expense.

"I wish I could quit you," twanged Lane - who was on the show ostensibly to promote "The Producers" - mocking Gyllenhaal's cowboy confession to his bunkmate.

"It's really when [Ledger] said, 'This thing gets hold of us the wrong time, the wrong place, we're dead,' " Lane recalled as Katie Couric and "Today" crew members giggled. "I thought, 'What do you mean, like the A&P? You're in the middle of nowhere! Get a ranch with the guy! Stop torturing these two poor women and get a room! What's the problem?' "

Flacks for Focus Features didn't return phone calls, and a publicist for "Brokeback" screenwriter Larry McMurtry declined comment.
Quote:

Animalman said:

Michelle Williams too.
Quote:

Anonymous One said:
Quote:

Animalman said:

Michelle Williams too.

we need pictures.
Be patient. They'll show up.
Ok, I will probably see this on DVD just for hathaway nudity, but anyway....

It just seems pretentious to have 2 gay cowboys..gay, married cowboys..find and profess their love for one another. So Lee takes the most macho profession he can find, cowboys, and he gays them. Then, of course, he expects awards. That is so stupid and pretentious.

I'm sure this probably came from a novel somewhere, and if so then the novel is dumb. I'm sure it happens and has happened--like any various homosexual situation, but really...

Why can't they come up with something original? How about a president of the US that is married, and then comes out that he is gay after he's in office..now that would sell...
How about a messageboard moderator who comes out that he is gay...and gets banned for it?
Quote:

Animalman said:

She's naked and fucks in Havoc. But good luck stomaching that movie... it sucks something awful. And I don't mean LLance's dick.
Quote:

Pig Iron said:
Ok, I will probably see this on DVD just for hathaway nudity, but anyway....

It just seems pretentious to have 2 gay cowboys..gay, married cowboys..find and profess their love for one another.

For fuck's sake, dude, it's fiction.

How pretentious is it to have some guy named Skywalker become a disciple of the Force and go on space adventures??

Quote:

So Lee takes the most macho profession he can find, cowboys, and he gays them.

The story was there before Ang Lee.

Quote:

I'm sure this probably came from a novel somewhere, and if so then the novel is dumb.

Yeah, let's criticize it before we read it, like that's intelligent.

Quote:

I'm sure it happens and has happened--like any various homosexual situation, but really...

That's one man's opinion.
Here's the novelette by Annie Proulx the movie's based on:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743271327/ref=pd_bxgy_text_b/103-1501302-3242217?%5Fencoding=UTF8

And here's a nonfiction book on the subject:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312293...ce&n=283155
OK, Ok..I was a little rash, but I still don't like the idea. But The novel descriptions sound decent. I stand corrected.
Thanks for relenting.

I didn't quite understand what your uproar was about. Gay men can't be cowboys? There never were any gay cowboys or ranch hands? Just like there never were any gay football players? Ooops, that myth died...
No, I was never saying that. It just seemed in your face to the average american, and to people who are bitching and moaning about gay marriage--it seems a little too soon to be making gay themed movies about an american myth, a step back rather than a step forward. That was all. I could be very wrong, but I think mainstream americans would balk at seeing it. I think I was drunk during the original post.

hey, i hope I'm wrong.
Quote:

Pig Iron said:
No, I was never saying that. It just seemed in your face to the average american

I don't see how because I don't see that there are armed guards dragging people to cinemas to watch it. It may be getting some news coverage, but so? Has network TV showed any of the love/sex scenes?

Do you think that GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER was too "in your face" to the average American as well?

Hm?
It isn't in your face to me. I'm putting myself in the shoes of the average american is all. People who don't like gay pride parades, people who hate the idea of gay marriage, etc.
So art is supposed to cater only to those "average Americans"?

Fuck that.
Quote:

Pig Iron said:
it seems a little too soon to be making gay themed movies about an american myth, a step back rather than a step forward. That was all.

Haven't we broken through the idea that gays don't/shouldn't encroach on any American Myths with the fact that Rock Hudson was gay? I think that ship as sailed, P.I.

Quote:

I could be very wrong, but I think mainstream americans would balk at seeing it.

So?

Frankly, I don't know how many mainstream Americans will see it anyway since it doesn't appear to be getting "multiplex" release. In Columbus, one theater will be screening it, the Drexel Gateway, which is a new theater across from Ohio State on High St. To my knowledge, no other theater in town will be showing it.
Dammnit I thought I just posted. anyway. I think that art films can get to the cineplex's just like many indy films already do. Word of mouth is what it is about, and a willingness of the owners/vendors to show them. I don't think art has to be relegated to little hidden away galleries it can go to museums after all.

Ang Lee has a known name. It could be widely accepted I just think Alaskan fishermen would do better than cowboys ..I dunno. I'm outta material, and my original post that never appeared was more cohesive.
Maybe its me, but if anything is indicative of this movie being "in our face," its the massive hype over the movie.

Its almost as if we're expected to think that this particular movie, not "Walk the Line," not "Crash," not "Match Point," not "Good Night and Good Luck" is the best movie of the year simply BECAUSE its a "gay movie."

I haven't seen this movie. And it may be good. But there does seem to be an undercurrent of hype coming out of Hollywood that the ONLY reason you might not like this movie better than, say, "Crash" is because you're a homophobe.
Quote:

Pig Iron said:
It isn't in your face to me. I'm putting myself in the shoes of the average american is all. People who don't like gay pride parades, people who hate the idea of gay marriage, etc.

Pariah, the average American. A thought so horrifying you'll need a second mattress.

Quote:

Pig Iron said:
Ang Lee has a known name. It could be widely accepted I just think Alaskan fishermen would do better than cowboys ..I dunno. I'm outta material, and my original post that never appeared was more cohesive.

It's not like some arthouse film exec woke up one night and decided to make another gay soapbox movie. This isn't Judd Winick. Edna Annie Proulx wrote the story years ago. She lives in Wyoming. Wyoming has a lot of cowboys. Wyoming is also home to a fairly significant anti-homosexual presence(remember the Matt Shepard murder?), like a lot of underpopulated plains states. That's it.

I don't think I'll see it in theatres, since I'm not big on love stories(gay or otherwise), but the only people I can see being threatened by this are, well, homophobes. If it does challenge a lot of modern movie conventions, then more power to it. I like films like that.
I am cool with that.
I will state that there are records of homosexuality in the Old West. It's not talked about much, but then, it's only relatively recently that homosexuality was discussed at length at all.
Its nice of you to stand up for your kind.
Snarf has gay history books.
with pictures.
Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:
Snarf has gay history books.

Actually, that was from one of the stories in The Big Book of The Weird Wild West, from DC's Paradox Press.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Burnout? Cowboys Collapsing? - 2005-12-24 3:25 AM
Brokeback Burnout? Cowboys Collapsing?

You wouldn’t know it from all the hype and the endless critics’ awards. But Ang Lee’s "Brokeback Mountain" may be suffering a little burnout in its third week of release.

Indeed, "Brokeback"—-aka the Gay Cowboy movie—-has seen declines at the box office every day this week after a huge premiere and subsequent run in gay-concentrated neighborhoods.

But now it may be that reality is setting in, and reality bites, as we all know. On Monday, "Brokeback" was 51 percent off from Sunday. On Tuesday, it was down 9.1 percent from Monday. By Wednesday, it was off another 7.6 percent. All in all, it dropped to No. 10 on its 13th day out.

Today, "Brokeback" nearly doubles its number of theaters to 217, but this may be a real litmus test. There is hardly a straight male in the U.S. who will see this movie voluntarily. No matter how well made it is—-and it is very well crafted by a hugely talented group of people—-it’s hard to imagine a suburban wife coaxing hubby to the Cineplex on Saturday night to see two men consummate their passion.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Brokeback Burnout? Cowboys Collapsing? - 2005-12-24 8:34 AM
maybe they should have concentrated on promoting it as a well-made movie first, and about gay cowboys second.
Posted By: TK-069 Re: Brokeback Burnout? Cowboys Collapsing? - 2005-12-24 8:40 AM

Nah.
Quote:

King Snarf said:
Actually, that was from one of the stories in The Big Book of The Weird Wild West, from DC's Paradox Press.

DC?

Was it written by Judd Winnick?
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
In Columbus, one theater will be screening it, the Drexel Gateway, which is a new theater across from Ohio State on High St. To my knowledge, no other theater in town will be showing it.

...so the Drexel is the Gay Theatre?
Quote:

the G-man said:
There is hardly a straight male in the U.S. who will see this movie voluntarily. No matter how well made it is—-and it is very well crafted by a hugely talented group of people—-it’s hard to imagine a suburban wife coaxing hubby to the Cineplex on Saturday night to see two men consummate their passion.

How sensitive of Fox News to worry about how Ang Lee is doing. Do they care this much about every director?
Posted By: Killconey Re: Brokeback Burnout? Cowboys Collapsing? - 2005-12-24 7:44 PM
Quote:

Today, "Brokeback" nearly doubles its number of theaters to 217, but this may be a real litmus test. There is hardly a straight male in the U.S. who will see this movie voluntarily. No matter how well made it is—-and it is very well crafted by a hugely talented group of people—-it’s hard to imagine a suburban wife coaxing hubby to the Cineplex on Saturday night to see two men consummate their passion.

I'm a straight male. I'm voluntarily going to see that movie with my fiance.
Posted By: Killconey Re: Brokeback Burnout? Cowboys Collapsing? - 2005-12-24 7:45 PM
Somehow it didn't get on my post, but that was a G-man quote. I don't want to plagerize his words and lose all credit for the assignment.
G-man sure hates movies about gay cowboys. Almost like he's hiding something...
Quote:

rex said:
Its nice of you to stand up for your kind.

Just like James Bond. "Keeping the British end up" and all that.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Burnout? Cowboys Collapsing? - 2005-12-29 12:03 AM

Quote:

the G-man said:
There is hardly a straight male in the U.S. who will see this movie voluntarily. No matter how well made it is—-and it is very well crafted by a hugely talented group of people—-it’s hard to imagine a suburban wife coaxing hubby to the Cineplex on Saturday night to see two men consummate their passion.

Quote:

How sensitive of Fox News to worry about how Ang Lee is doing. Do they care this much about every director?

I'm not sure, but I think the Fox entertainment columnist quoted above, is himself gay.
Quote:

Danny said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
In Columbus, one theater will be screening it, the Drexel Gateway, which is a new theater across from Ohio State on High St. To my knowledge, no other theater in town will be showing it.

...so the Drexel is the Gay Theatre?

The Drexel are more the "art house" type theaters. CAPOTE's currently playing. I saw THE SQUID AND THE WHALE there. GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK is currently being shown.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Burnout? Cowboys Collapsing? - 2005-12-29 12:18 AM
Quote:

Killconey said:
Quote:

I'm a straight male. I'm voluntarily going to see that movie with my fiance.

There will be str8 males who will go. How many? How the hell should I know.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Burnout? Cowboys Collapsing? - 2005-12-29 12:20 AM
Quote:

Son of Mxy said:
maybe they should have concentrated on promoting it as a well-made movie first, and about gay cowboys second.

I think "they" did. I think it's more the media focusing on it as "the gay cowboy movie."
Posted By: Pariah Re: Brokeback Burnout? Cowboys Collapsing? - 2005-12-29 12:23 AM
Quote:

Son of Mxy said:

Heh.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2005-12-29 7:23 AM
Most guys usually don't seek out romance movies period, unless it's with a date. Anybody actually see this yet?
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2005-12-29 6:57 PM
It opens here in Columbus tomorrow evening.

I will go see it this weekend.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-02 7:15 PM
Larry David, of "Seinfeld" and the HBO series "Curb Your Enthusiasm," in the New York Times:
    I haven't seen "Brokeback Mountain," nor do I have any intention of seeing it. In fact, cowboys would have to lasso me, drag me into the theater and tie me to the seat, and even then I would make every effort to close my eyes and cover my ears.

And I love gay people. Hey, I've got gay acquaintances. Good acquaintances, who know they can call me anytime if they had my phone number. I'm for gay marriage, gay divorce, gay this and gay that. I just don't want to watch two straight men, alone on the prairie, fall in love and kiss and hug and hold hands and whatnot. That's all.

Is that so terrible? Does that mean I'm homophobic? And if I am, well, then that's too bad. Because you can call me any name you want, but I'm still not going to that movie.

To my surprise, I have some straight friends who've not only seen the movie but liked it. "One of the best love stories ever," one gushed. Another went on, "Oh, my God, you completely forget that it's two men. You in particular will love it."

"Why me?"

"You just will, trust me."

But I don't trust him. If two cowboys, male icons who are 100 percent all-man, can succumb, what chance to do I have, half- to a quarter of a man, depending on whom I'm with at the time? I'm a very susceptible person, easily influenced, a natural-born follower with no sales-resistance. When I walk into a store, clerks wrestle one another trying to get to me first. My wife won't let me watch infomercials because of all the junk I've ordered that's now piled up in the garage. My medicine cabinet is filled with vitamins and bald cures.

So who's to say I won't become enamored with the whole gay business? Let's face it, there is some appeal there. I know I've always gotten along great with men. I never once paced in my room rehearsing what to say before asking a guy if he wanted to go to the movies. And I generally don't pay for men, which of course is their most appealing attribute.

And gay guys always seem like they're having a great time. At the Christmas party I went to, they were the only ones who sang. Boy that looked like fun. I would love to sing, but this weighty, self-conscious heterosexuality I'm saddled with won't permit it.

I just know if I saw that movie, the voice inside my head that delights in torturing me would have a field day. "You like those cowboys, don't you? They're kind of cute. Go ahead, admit it, they're cute. You can't fool me, gay man. Go ahead, stop fighting it. You're gay! You're gay!"

Not that there's anything wrong with it.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-02 9:00 PM
Posted By: Grimm Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-02 9:02 PM
Pro keeps asking me to go see this. I keep telling him to take Cross instead.
Barry Manilow's Take On Brokeback Mountain

His name was Ennis
    He was a Shepard
    With cowboy hat and assless chaps
    He should have kept it under wraps
    He would merengue and do the cha-cha
    And when he'd drink and fall asleep
    Jack Twist tended to the sheep
    Across the mountain heights
    They worked the summer nights
    They were young and they had each other
    And had rough sex fights

Up at Brokeback, Brokeback Mountain
    Those gay cowboys, they did some mounting
    They felt the passion as they discussed fashion
    Up at Brokeback

.... they fell in love
    Brokeback, Brokeback Mountain

He was the boss man
    He did some firing
    When he went to the mountain top
    And he saw Ennis getting bopped
    And when they finished, he fired them pronto
    Later Jack went a bit too far
    Gay bashers saw him at a bar
    And then the punches flew and chairs were smashed in two
    There was blood and a single gun shot
    But just who shot who?

Up at Brokeback

.... he lost his love

His name was Ennis, he was a shepherd
    But that was a long time ago, when closets hid more than clothes
    Now gays have pride days, but not our Ennis
    Still in the chaps he used to wear, faded feathers in his hair
    He sits there so refined, and drinks himself half-blind
    He lost his Jack and he lost his family
    Taking it from behind!

Up at Brokeback

.... don't fall in love
    Don't fall in love
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 1:00 AM
I wonder why folks have to make such a big deal about not seeing this movie or go even further & make jokes about a movie their not going to see. It's ok if you don't want to go see it, there's plenty of movies I have no desire to see too. Those movies also are not worth my time commenting on.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 2:15 AM
Maybe because certain quarters seem to want to guilt people into seeing it even if they don't want to?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 2:37 AM
i also think that g-man has a bizarre gay cowboy fetish.
Posted By: Franta Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 2:44 AM
This movie totally ignores the fact that Sheep make better lovers than men....

or so I have heard
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 3:10 AM
sure, sheeplover, suuuuureee...
I didn't know Franta had a little australian in him.
Posted By: rex Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 3:40 AM
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
I wonder why folks have to make such a big deal about not seeing this movie or go even further & make jokes about a movie their not going to see.

Because we can.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 5:11 AM
Quote:

rex said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
I wonder why folks have to make such a big deal about not seeing this movie or go even further & make jokes about a movie their not going to see.

Because I'm gay.

Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 5:11 AM
Quote:

I didn't know Franta had a little australian in him.

Franta is doing Dave?

Posted By: cross Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-03 5:19 AM
Quote:

Grimm said:
Pro keeps asking me to go see this. I keep telling him to take Cross instead.

he never takes me anywere
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-03 7:20 AM
I think some of you guys are being a bit sensative but if it keeps Larry David from becoming gay it's all worthwhile IMHO.
Posted By: Animalman Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-03 8:16 AM
Larry David is beloved by the lesbian community, though.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 6:47 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Maybe because certain quarters seem to want to guilt people into seeing it even if they don't want to?

Take it up with those in those quarters, then.

I haven't heard one gay guy in this forum trying to "guilt" you into going to see it.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 6:48 PM
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:

Because all they have is their socks.
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

Take it up with those in those quarters, then.

I haven't heard one gay guy in this forum trying to "guilt" you into going to see it.

G-man didn't mean it literally, he was obviously talking about his repressed homosexuality.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 7:53 PM
We don't want him.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 7:54 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

I was referring to certain quarters of society, not certain quarters of the RKMBs.

Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 8:06 PM
Then send the cartoonist or op-ed writer a nasty email.

Why give us your blather when none of the queers here give a shit if you see this movie or not? And I'm not going to call you a 'phobe if you don't see it.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 8:16 PM
I find it...interesting...that the single movie that gets the most "bah, don't see the movie if you dont want, but why are you bothering to discuss it, etc" responses from you is one about gay people.

This is the RKMBs, remember? We constantly discuss movies, comic books and TV shows we haven't seen.

For my mind, I think that, like "King Kong," this is an interesting story because its a heavily hyped film that may or may not live up to the hype and/or may be rejected by the public. That's all.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 8:21 PM
If you wonder if it will live up to the hype, then...psst...go see it.

And I hardly call your bit about Barry Manilow "discussion."

Furthermore, you seem to think there's some conspiracy to get you, a straight man, to go see it.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 8:23 PM
And by "live up to the hype," what do you mean?

Will it get Oscar nominations? Most certainly. It's quality is that good.

Will it rake in money? Possibly. I don't care. I don't go see movies caring a whit about how much money they make.n But the showing I went to Saturday afternoon was sold out.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 8:23 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
If you wonder if it will live up to the hype, then...psst...go see it.

Ah, so you ARE pressuring people to see it.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 8:24 PM
A suggestion <> pressure.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-03 8:46 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Furthermore, you seem to think there's some conspiracy to get you, a straight man, to go see it.

Uh oh! Jim's pulled out the big guns! Don't piss him off or he might question your sexuality.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-04 3:29 AM
I just find it amusing that Jim always seems to represent all the gay people in the world.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-04 3:31 AM
there are others?
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-04 3:33 AM
Rob?
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-04 3:43 AM
i thought there was one gay guy with a bunch of alts, matter-eater ma,jim jackson, rob ect....
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-04 4:39 AM
I don't trust gay guys anymore
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-04 4:59 AM
you should be wary of midgets as well....
Posted By: PJP Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-04 5:03 AM
I wouldn't call Rob a midget.
Posted By: PJP Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-04 5:03 AM
at least not from the waist up
Posted By: Danny Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-04 10:55 AM
Oh, SNAP.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-04 6:05 PM
Quote:

Son of Mxy said:
I just find it amusing that Jim always seems to represent all the gay people in the world.

I'm president of the club this year.
Posted By: Danny Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-05 4:52 AM
Just this year... because for gay people, it's okay to share.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-05 11:47 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Larry David, of "Seinfeld" and the HBO series "Curb Your Enthusiasm," in the New York Times:
    I haven't seen "Brokeback Mountain," nor do I have any intention of seeing it. In fact, cowboys would have to lasso me, drag me into the theater and tie me to the seat, and even then I would make every effort to close my eyes and cover my ears.

And I love gay people. Hey, I've got gay acquaintances. Good acquaintances, who know they can call me anytime if they had my phone number. I'm for gay marriage, gay divorce, gay this and gay that. I just don't want to watch two straight men, alone on the prairie, fall in love and kiss and hug and hold hands and whatnot. That's all.

Is that so terrible? Does that mean I'm homophobic? And if I am, well, then that's too bad. Because you can call me any name you want, but I'm still not going to that movie.

To my surprise, I have some straight friends who've not only seen the movie but liked it. "One of the best love stories ever," one gushed. Another went on, "Oh, my God, you completely forget that it's two men. You in particular will love it."

"Why me?"

"You just will, trust me."

But I don't trust him. If two cowboys, male icons who are 100 percent all-man, can succumb, what chance to do I have, half- to a quarter of a man, depending on whom I'm with at the time? I'm a very susceptible person, easily influenced, a natural-born follower with no sales-resistance. When I walk into a store, clerks wrestle one another trying to get to me first. My wife won't let me watch infomercials because of all the junk I've ordered that's now piled up in the garage. My medicine cabinet is filled with vitamins and bald cures.

So who's to say I won't become enamored with the whole gay business? Let's face it, there is some appeal there. I know I've always gotten along great with men. I never once paced in my room rehearsing what to say before asking a guy if he wanted to go to the movies. And I generally don't pay for men, which of course is their most appealing attribute.

And gay guys always seem like they're having a great time. At the Christmas party I went to, they were the only ones who sang. Boy that looked like fun. I would love to sing, but this weighty, self-conscious heterosexuality I'm saddled with won't permit it.

I just know if I saw that movie, the voice inside my head that delights in torturing me would have a field day. "You like those cowboys, don't you? They're kind of cute. Go ahead, admit it, they're cute. You can't fool me, gay man. Go ahead, stop fighting it. You're gay! You're gay!"

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Larry David is one of the coolest Jews alive. Period.
Posted By: Jason E. Perkins Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-05 11:52 PM
'Brokeback' rides high in Oscar race
40 minutes ago

By Bob Tourtellotte

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Brokeback Mountain," the film about a gay romance between two cowboys, earned multiple award nominations on Thursday from major actor and director groups, distancing it from rivals in Hollywood's Oscar race.

The Screen Actors Guild gave "Brokeback Mountain" four award nominations, more than any film, including best cast, best actor for Heath Ledger and supporting actor and actress for Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Williams, respectively.

Also on Thursday, the movie's Ang Lee was nominated for best film director by the Directors Guild of America (DGA).

Joining Lee on the DGA list were George Clooney for "Good Night, and Good Luck," Paul Haggis with "Crash," Bennett Miller for "Capote" and Steven Spielberg with "Munich."

Dramas "Good Night," "Capote," and "Crash" have scored well in this year's awards race but no other film has met with the amount of critical, media and industry attention as "Brokeback Mountain," leading industry watchers to consider it a shoo-in for Oscar nominations, which will be announced on January 31.

Still, some experts said the film could fail to win many Oscars, which are the U.S. film industry's top awards, if conservative voters at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences fail to look beyond its gay subject matter.

"It's out front early ... and sometimes it can hurt to be too far out front, too early," said Tom O'Neil, veteran Oscar watcher and columnist for TheEnvelope.com.

In fact, "Crash," which focus on race relations, has rebounded in the race in recent days with several nominations, including SAG nods for best ensemble cast and supporting actor for both Don Cheadle and Matt Dillon.

"It now looks like ("Crash") will be a strong best picture contender," O'Neil said. "It's that little independent film everybody is cheering on."

CLOONEY CAN DO

But the experts said Clooney and "Good Night," a look at television journalist Edward R. Murrow's work during Sen. Joseph McCarthy's anti-Communist crusade in the 1950s, also has a strong shot at Oscars after picking up its DGA nod and SAG nominations for best cast and
    David Strathairn as best actor.

Only six DGA winners in 57 years have failed to win the best director Oscar, and SAG also has a history of picking Oscar winners.

Spielberg's "Munich" has been one major surprise for its lack of guild nominations, including being shut out of SAG, categories, but the DGA nod may help get it back in the race.

SAG, which represents film and television actors, also nominated the actors of "Capote" and hip-hop drama "Hustle & Flow" for best ensemble cast.

Joining Ledger and Strathairn among nominees for best actor were Joaquin Phoenix as singer Johnny Cash in "Walk the Line," Philip Seymour Hoffman in the title role in "Capote" and Russell Crowe playing a boxer in "Cinderella Man."

Best film actress nominees were Judi Dench portraying a theater owner in "Mrs. Henderson Presents," Felicity Huffman as a transgender character in "Transamerica," Charlize Theron as a sexually harassed mine worker in "North Country," Reese Witherspoon as singer June Carter in "Walk the Line" and Ziyi Zhang in "Memoirs of a Geisha."

Along with Gyllenhaal, Cheadle and Dillon, supporting actor nominations went to Clooney in "Syriana" and Paul Giamatti in "Cinderella Man."

Williams was joined in the supporting actress category by Catherine Keener in "Capote," Frances McDormand in "North Country," Rachel Weisz in the thriller "The Constant Gardener," and Amy Adams for the independent film "Junebug."

The SAG awards will be given out in Los Angeles on January 29. DGA winners will be named on January 28. Oscars will be given out on March 5.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-06 3:38 AM
that chick in the middle is hot
Posted By: Danny Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-06 4:37 AM
SAG?
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-06 6:55 AM
she's not wearing a bra so it's gonna sag, especially since it's natural!
Quote:

Well---Cartmen did say, "Independent films are those black and white hippie movies; they're always about gay cowboys eating pudding."

WHAT???

First Scuzzlebutt, now this? Can't I make something up without it turning out to be real? And why did they keep my Mr. Hankey movie in indy status by casting Tom Hanks? This is bullcrap!
Ang Lee directing gay cowboy movie...I see Marvel trying to capitalize on this in the future...{b]What If...The Hulk Was Gay!?!

Actually, I might check this one out when it comes to video, only because I'm a huge fan of Larry McMurtry's stuff...Or, I'll never get around to it, like most of the stuff I end up renting or buying...
silly homasexuals. when will you peeple ever learn?
Posted By: qwerty Re: Brokeback Mountain Reviewed - 2006-01-09 1:46 AM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Son of Mxy said:

I'm president of the club this year.

nice to mete you. i am the precedent of a lobo fan grupe called aids. woold you like to join? we dont allow homasexuals thogh. please call me if you are not a homasexual.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-29 1:59 AM
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-29 2:33 AM
It's to bad that so many of the old married gay guys I knew from my bartending days are no longer around. They would have enjoyed this movie.
Posted By: Matter-eater Man Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-30 8:25 AM
Finally saw it this weekend. I don't usually care for movies with sad endings but this was good. Not sure how but some people apparently didn't reallize there would be gay romance scenes in the movie & made a scene themselves leaving the theatre. In a way that just added to the movie where you have 2 people who couldn't be together because society couldn't handle it.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-30 11:52 PM
Posted By: harleykwin Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-31 1:07 AM
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

Posted By: The Indestructible Man Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-31 2:12 AM
Except, on that mountain, the back is btroken with a folding chair!
Posted By: Danny Re: Brokeback Mountain - 2006-01-31 7:37 AM
...and love.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 7:53 PM
    NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- Country music outlaw Willie Nelson sang "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" and "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" more than 25 years ago.

He released a very different sort of cowboy anthem this Valentine's Day.

"Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly (Fond of Each Other)" may be the first gay cowboy song by a major recording artist. But it was written long before this year's Oscar-nominated "Brokeback Mountain" made gay cowboys a hot topic.

Available exclusively through iTunes, the song features choppy Tex-Mex style guitar runs and Nelson's deadpan delivery of lines like, "What did you think all them saddles and boots was about?" and "Inside every cowboy there's a lady who'd love to slip out."

The song, which debuted Tuesday on Howard Stern's satellite radio show, was written by Texas-born singer-songwriter Ned Sublette in 1981. Sublette said he wrote it during the "Urban Cowboy" craze and always imagined Nelson singing it.

Someone passed a copy of the song to Nelson back in the late 1980s and, according to Nelson's record label, Lost Highway, he recorded it last year at his Pedernales studio in Texas.

Nelson has appeared in several Western movies and sings "He Was a Friend of Mine" on the "Brokeback Mountain" soundtrack.

G-Man will be stunned!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 8:29 PM
Nah. Not only has Willie always had a twisted sense of humor (he covered "Ride Em Jewboy" for a Kinky Friedman tribute album) but, let's face it, he was probably high as a kite when he recorded it.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 9:19 PM
Ah, well, there you go. A song about gay cowboys from Willie can't be serious 'cause he probably was stoned. The more you talk about gay issues and things, G-man, the more you confirm my opinion of you on that matter.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 9:31 PM
Jim, I went to I tunes and played the excerpt of the song. It's obviously done with tongue planted firmly in cheek (and not those cheeks, either):

Cowboys are frequently secretly fond of each other

What did you think those saddles and boots was about?

There's many a cowboy who don't understand the way that he feels towards his brother

Inside every cowboy there's a lady who'd love to slip out.

Cowboys are frequently secretly fond of each other

That's why they wear leather, and Levi's and belts buckled tight.

There's many a cowboy who don't understand the way that he feels towards his brother;

There's many a cowboy who's more like a lady at night

And Willie's always stoned, to hear him tell it.
Posted By: rex Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 9:44 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
I like willie nelson and I don't like gays so obviously he can't sing a song that supports gays.

Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 9:52 PM
Best.
Rex.
Post.
Ever.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 9:57 PM
No, Willie's a leftie. I have no reason to assume he doesn't support gays. So, you are wrong. I was not stunned.

But its also clearly a comedy song.

And its also clear that Willie smokes more pot than Cheech, Chong and Woody Harrellson combined.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 10:01 PM
Oh, no, we don't have a problem believing Willie supports gays. We have the problem believing you do.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 10:08 PM
You stated I would be stunned that Willie recorded this song. I said I wasn't. I also pointed out that Willie has a history of doing stuff (getting high) that runs afoul of conservative sensibilities.

You're just pissed because (a) I wasn't stunned; (b) it didn't make me go "oh no, Willie likes gay people, I had better go subscribe to 'the Advocate.'

It's a cute song. But even if its wasn't about gay cowboys, its not the style of Willie Nelson song I prefer. I'm more into his folkish or western swing style music than his "choppy Tex-Mex" stuff. And as a general rule, I've never liked his "cute" stuff, even back when he was doing it with Waylon and the boys.

But now, I suppose I have to like this one song, or otherwise I'm a "homophobe" since whenever anyone doesn't like the same stuff as you, be it "BBM" or "CiC," its not just a legitimate difference of opinion, its a personal affront to you.

If it makes you feel better, however, I liked his song from BBM, which WAS, you'll recall, "serious."
Posted By: rex Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 10:16 PM
So you're blaming the drugs for the song and not willie nelson?
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 10:19 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:

But now, I suppose I have to like this one song, or otherwise I'm a "homophobe" since whenever anyone doesn't like the same stuff as you, be it "BBM" or "CiC," its not just a legitimate difference of opinion, its a personal affront to you.

Nah, don't bother. I would hate a disenguous attorney...

Not liking BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is not a personal affront to me. Not seeing it and yet still making comments about its content, yeah, that's an affornt. It's an affront to common sense.

I don't care one way or the other about whether you like COMMANDER IN CHIEF or not. And I don't give a shit if you like the Who either.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 10:20 PM
Quote:

rex said:
So you're blaming the drugs for the song and not willie nelson?

No, in fact, Willie didn't write the song.

If you remove your gaze from the sock in your left hand long enough to read what I wrote carefully, you'll note

Quote:

the G-man said:I also pointed out that Willie has a history of doing stuff (getting high) that runs afoul of conservative sensibilities.

Now stop trying to turn the thread into a political flame war.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 10:22 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
And I don't give a shit if you like the Who either.

Ironically, I like the Who. Even if their lead guitarist is a suspected pedophile.
Posted By: rex Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 10:25 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
If you remove your gaze from the sock in your left hand long enough to read what I wrote carefully,

I win.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 10:27 PM
If, by "win", you mean letting me and Jim debate politics in the media forum, yeah.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 10:37 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
And I don't give a shit if you like the Who either.

Ironically, I like the Who. Even if their lead guitarist is a suspected pedophile.

You can believe what you want about Pete Townshend.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 10:40 PM
Belief nothing...the fact that Pete Townshend is a "suspected" pedophile is beyond dispute.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 11:01 PM
  • G-Man's a neocon homophobe.

• Jim Jackson is bald queer.

• rex is a basement dwelling sock fucker.

• Willie Nelson is high.

• Pete Townshend downloads kiddie porn.

• I'm a drunk bastard.

That's the insult portion of our thread. Now on to the topic at hand.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 11:05 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Belief nothing...the fact that Pete Townshend is a "suspected" pedophile is beyond dispute.

I was implying that if you wish to believe he was an actual pedophile, you're welcome to that opinion.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 11:07 PM
Quote:

thedoctor said:
  • G-Man's a neocon homophobe.

• Jim Jackson is bald queer.

• rex is a basement dwelling sock fucker.

• Willie Nelson is high.

• Pete Townshend downloads kiddie porn.

• I'm a drunk bastard.

That's the insult portion of our thread. Now on to the topic at hand.

If bald means "hair is thinning but still has hair on the top and sides of his head, still has reason to use shampoo and could kick your ass," then yes, I'm bald.
Posted By: Killconey Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 11:10 PM
I finally saw Brokeback Mountain. It was a good movie, but I didn't hear Willie Nelson singing. Perhaps that was in the credits that I didn't stay for.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 11:11 PM
It's like posting on a message board with my brother's kids.
Posted By: Killconey Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 11:14 PM
Quote:

thedoctor said:

Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 11:14 PM
Quote:

thedoctor said:

Maybe their maturity is reflected by your own...
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 11:14 PM
Quote:

Killconey said:
I finally saw Brokeback Mountain. It was a good movie, but I didn't hear Willie Nelson singing. Perhaps that was in the credits that I didn't stay for.

yes, i think so
Posted By: Killconey Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 11:26 PM
The good movie part or the song was in the credits part?
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Willie Nelson's gay cowboy songs - 2006-02-15 11:33 PM
I believe Willie's song runs over the end credits.

Brokeback Abused Sheep:
    The makers of the gay cowboy flick "Brokeback Mountain" were too rough on sheep, an animal-rights group charged yesterday.

In a letter to director Ang Lee, The Humane Society also complained about the way the horses and elk were treated.

"The excessively rough handling of the sheep and horses leaves viewers questioning whether anyone was looking out for the safety of those animals," the letter said.

"And many also wonder how the filmmakers got the elk to lose its footing and crumple to the ground 'on cue' after being shot."

A spokesman for the producer of the Best Picture-nominated movie, Focus Features, had no immediate comment.
Did the survey also check to see if the sheep were still virgins?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mt: Gay Cowboys Abusing Sheep - 2006-03-03 12:41 AM
'I Wish I Knew How to Quit Ewe'
Posted By: Killconey Re: Brokeback Mt: Gay Cowboys Abusing Sheep - 2006-03-03 12:41 AM
Posted By: Dr. Tran Re: Brokeback Mt: Gay Cowboys Abusing Sheep - 2006-03-05 10:01 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:
'I Wish I Knew How to Quit Ewe'

Come on, everyone, let's go ahead and get all the rest of the stereotypes out there...
Posted By: klinton Re: Brokeback Mt: Gay Cowboys Abusing Sheep - 2006-03-06 6:11 AM
Oh, come on Sammich....that was funny.
Hell yeah it was! You think I wasn't laughing at that?

Shit, that was unrecognizably dry as Philsy humor goes.
"The Oscars opened the closet door to gay-themed films but shut it almost as quickly," Reuters reports:

"Brokeback Mountain," the much-ballyhooed favorite about two gay cowboys, won best director for Ang Lee on Sunday but stunningly lost the best picture prize to race drama "Crash." Additionally Philip Seymour Hoffman won best actor for playing gay novelist Truman Capote in "Capote."

The victory for "Crash" suggested Oscar voters were more comfortable with a tale that exploited the seamy underbelly of racial conflict in contemporary Los Angeles than with a heartbreaking tale of love between two married men.

"Perhaps the truth really is, Americans don't want cowboys to be gay," said Larry McMurtry.

The Los Angeles Times echoes the point:

In the privacy of the voting booth, as many political candidates who've led in polls only to lose elections have found out, people are free to act out the unspoken fears and unconscious prejudices that they would never breathe to another soul, or, likely, acknowledge to themselves. And at least this year, that acting out doomed "Brokeback Mountain."

And the San Francisco Chronicle reports that gays were "brokenhearted" over the "Brokeback" loss:

"I think that's an absolute horror," said Brad Bruner, who is a leader in the Golden State Gay Rodeo Association.

"It's an outright sign of homophobia in our country. ('Crash') won no awards before this. It makes me sick."
You can emphasize Larry's remark if you wish, but it's doing pretty good boxoffice, which tells a different tale.

Only stupid people will believe there were no such thing as gay cowboys.
Maybe America isn't ready for Tom Hanks as a soldier. After all, the much-ballyhooed (what the fuck does that mean?) Saving Private Ryan had its best picture nomination stolen by Shakespear in Love. Upsets happen in the Oscars and the fact that they do doesn't mean that all the liberals in Hollywood have suddenly abandoned the homosexuals.
It seemed to me that the only people that were "sure" Brokeback was going to win was mostly from a certain segment of conservatives (the Ann Coulter types)

I was happy with it winning best director (& music) Furthermore, after all the jokes have been told & retold, there will be the DVD release & eventually it will air on TV. You can't unmake Brokeback Mountain
Quote:

Eric Theodore Cartman said:
Quote:

WHAT???

First Scuzzlebutt, now this? Can't I make something up without it turning out to be real? And why did they keep my Mr. Hankey movie in indy status by casting Tom Hanks? This is bullcrap!

Whoa,take a Ritalin there,Cartman.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain wins best director - 2006-03-07 6:14 AM
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
It seemed to me that the only people that were "sure" Brokeback was going to win was mostly from a certain segment of conservatives (the Ann Coulter types)

And the reporters at Rueters who considered its loss "stunningly" unexpected.
Quote:

I was happy with it winning best director (& music) Furthermore, after all the jokes have been told & retold, there will be the DVD release & eventually it will air on TV. You can't unmake Brokeback Mountain

Who's trying to un-make it?
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Brokeback Mountain wins best director - 2006-03-07 6:56 AM
Alex Luthor
Posted By: Jeremy Re: Brokeback Mountain wins best director - 2006-03-07 6:59 AM
and Superboy Prime by bashing the walls of time.
Posted By: Animalman Re: Brokeback Mountain wins best director - 2006-03-07 7:49 AM
I unmade the sequel to Ishtar and nobody thanked me.
Posted By: klinton Re: Brokeback Mountain wins best director - 2006-03-07 6:42 PM
Quote:

Animalman said:

Thank you, Ani.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Brokeback Mountain wins best director - 2006-03-07 6:50 PM
Quote:

Animalman said:

Because you forgot to unmake Ishtar.
Posted By: PJP Re: Brokeback Mountain wins best director - 2006-03-07 6:50 PM
is it true that one of the characters was named Pennis?
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
...after all the jokes have been told & retold, there will be the DVD release & eventually it will air on TV.

I'm betting Bravo won the bidding rights.
Posted By: PJP Re: Brokeback Mountain wins best director - 2006-03-07 7:20 PM
Quote:

PJP said:

Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain wins best director - 2006-03-07 7:58 PM
Quote:

PJP said:

No, it's not true.
It was his nickname, not his Christian name.
You didn't see the movie so just stop.
But I read a review.
Posted By: klinton Re: Brokeback Mt: Gay Cowboys Eating Pudding - 2006-03-07 8:38 PM
Jim...why are you getting defensive over a movie? Did you have any role in it's production?
Posted By: PJP Re: Brokeback Mt: Gay Cowboys Eating Pudding - 2006-03-07 9:21 PM
at the Oscars they played a clip of the movie where Heath Ledger was crying and hugging Jake's shirt......that was pretty gay.
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:
Quote:

Eric Theodore Cartman said:
Quote:

WHAT???

Whoa,take a Ritalin there,Cartman.

Puh, yeah right. Like I really wanna see that Christina Aguilerra spider chase me again.
What spider?
Chris Oakley couldn't get enough of harassing minorities, so now he's turned his attention to gays. That must be why he's always trashing Jim Jackson's favorite team.

Chris, you continue to reach new lows.
You're just out to get Chris Oakley.
And you're BALD too!

(Whoomp, there it is)
Thank GOD for PJP!!!
Quote:

MisterJLA said:
You're just out to get Chris Oakley.

Did he threaten to punch you unless you posted this?
Quote:

Animalman said:
Did he threaten to punch you unless you posted this?

In the twat, no less....viloent little bugger.
Good ads association for gay cowboys? SURVEY SAYS!
Brokeback Batman
This was the cover for the historic issue when Dick left Barbara to be in Batman's cave forever.

I think Dick's exact words to Bruce were, "why can't I quit you?"
Hey Tim! Now that Stephanie is dead why don't you try some of this!!!

That was about as funny as a colonoscopy.
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:
That was about as funny as a colonoscopy.

His repressed rage makes all too much sense, now.
mm-hmm. Mommy gave him a colonoscopy with the plunger?
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 12:35 AM
Brokeback Author Slates Oscars

Quote:

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN author ANNIE PROULX has slated the Academy Awards for giving the Best Picture Oscar to CRASH at this year's (06) presentation ceremony. In an essay published by British newspaper The Guardian, Proulx describes voters as "out of touch" and "segregated" from current issues, and insists they were easily influenced by Crash's production company Lions Gate Entertainment. She writes, "Roughly 6,000 film industry voters, most in the Los Angeles area, many living cloistered lives behind wrought-iron gates or in deluxe rest homes, out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city, decide which films are good. "And rumour has it that Lions Gate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of 'Trash' - excuse me, Crash - a few weeks before the ballot deadline. "Next year we can look to the awards for controversial themes on the punishment of adulterers with a branding iron in the shape of the letter A, runaway slaves, and the debate over free silver."

Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 12:38 AM
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Quote:

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN author ANNIE PROULX has slated the Academy Awards for giving the Best Picture Oscar to CRASH at this year's (06) presentation ceremony. In an essay published by British newspaper The Guardian, Proulx describes voters as "out of touch" and "segregated" from current issues, and insists they were easily influenced by Crash's production company Lions Gate Entertainment. She writes, "Roughly 6,000 film industry voters, most in the Los Angeles area, many living cloistered lives behind wrought-iron gates or in deluxe rest homes, out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city, decide which films are good. "And rumour has it that Lions Gate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of 'Trash' - excuse me, Crash - a few weeks before the ballot deadline. "Next year we can look to the awards for controversial themes on the punishment of adulterers with a branding iron in the shape of the letter A, runaway slaves, and the debate over free silver."

Annie rocks!
Posted By: the G-man Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 12:49 AM
With all due respect to the author, who would have probably saw greater royalties if the film had won an Oscar, is a story about a gay couple really any more "groundbreaking," in this day and age, than a story about adultery or civil rights?

The way the sore losers are carrying on, you would think this was the first film ever to have a gay character.

"The Boys in the Band" came out in, what, the 1970s? That was a mainstream film, by a mainstream director (William Friedkin) that dealt with being gay.

And, more recently, didn't "Philadelphia," a film about a gay man being discriminated against because he had AIDS win a couple of Oscars back in the 1990s?

There have been films about gay rights for at least thirty years. Why is this topic any more "up to date" than other plotlines from the 1970s?
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 12:57 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:

And, more recently, didn't "Philadelphia," a film about a gay man being discriminated against because he had AIDS win a couple of Oscars back in the 1990s?

Did you see it either, G-Man?

PHILDELPHIA doesn't present what BROKEBACK did. And though I haven't seen the Friedkin film, I doubt it's as explicit as BROKEBACK.

And PHILADELPHIA is very tame. Hanks and Banduras never kiss. I've yet to meet a gay couple who didn't kiss.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 12:59 AM
Quote:

the G-man said:

Why is this topic any more "up to date" than other plotlines from the 1970s?

Maybe if you could be bothered to see the film you could answer your own question.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 1:00 AM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Quote:

Annie rocks!

Why does she rock? It's no more rediculous to say that this movie shouldn't win because it's about Gay issues than to say it SHOULD win for the same reason. Brokeback deserved it's nominations because it was a quality film. It doesn't help your cause to say that the nomination isn't good enough, but the movie MUST win because it's about gay issues. Unless it's your goal to confirm stereotypes.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 1:38 AM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
PHILDELPHIA doesn't present what BROKEBACK did. ...Hanks and Banduras never kiss.

I didn't realize that your barometer of Oscar quality was the level of "hot man on man action" in a film.
Posted By: Animalman Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 1:47 AM
Jim, G, wanna, lady:

It's just a movie.
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 2:05 AM
More importantly, it's a fucking a oscar. It stopped meaning anything years ago.
Posted By: Animalman Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 2:17 AM
Agreed. Implying that Brokeback Mountain losing the Oscar is proof that Americans are taking a stand against some Hollywood PC revolution is just silly.

Nobody cares.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 2:49 AM
Quote:

Animalman said:
Agreed. Implying that Brokeback Mountain losing the Oscar is proof that Americans are taking a stand against some Hollywood PC revolution is just silly.

Nobody cares.

This isn't about the Oscar.

It's about guys like WBAM and G-Man commenting on and making inferences on a film THEY HAVE NOT SEEN.

I haven't said one word about CRASH, as an example, because I didn't see it.

At this point, all I'm asking is if anyone wishes to comment on BROKEBACK, please see the movie first.

Yeah, Animalman, it's just a movie. Except that for me and others like me, it has something to say.
Posted By: rex Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 2:51 AM
Jim Jackson thinks we'll all be gay after seeing this movie.
Posted By: PCG342 Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 2:57 AM
As the resident sock fu--... I mean, mod... shouldn't you be trying to be as professional and impartial as possible?
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 2:57 AM
Maybe if you were gay you'd get some action with something human rather than something cotton.

But then again, maybe not.
Posted By: rex Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 2:58 AM
Quote:

PCG342 said:
As the mod... shouldn't you be trying to be as professional and impartial as possible?

no
Posted By: PCG342 Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 3:08 AM
Quote:

rex said:
Quote:

PCG342 said:
As the mod... shouldn't you be trying to be as professional and impartial as possible?

no

Then, what exactly is your purpose, if not to maintain order?
This self-defeating behavior will not be tolerated.
Quote:

PJP said:
Brokeback Batman

Dude.....you're getting a copy of brokeback mountain.
Maybe it was a good thing that Brokeback didn't win best picture. The backlash gays are getting just for the movie being nominated & the awards it did receive kind of caught me by surprise.
pro went berserk on them in his state of the secret forum address!
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 8:49 AM
Quote:

Animalman said:
Jim, G, wanna, lady:

It's just a movie.

That's acctually my point.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 8:56 AM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Animalman said:

Nobody cares.

This isn't about the Oscar.

It's about guys like WBAM ... making inferences on a film THEY HAVE NOT SEEN.

Really? You know that I haven't seen teh movie? Have I said that I haven't seen it? Also in my post I said very little about the film itself, I commented on the fat that the author was such a sore loser and seemed to say that the film should have one because of the topic it presented rather that the quility of the film in comparrison to the other contenders. But I did make one comment on teh film... lets see, what was it that I said that has you so offended.. that's right I said:

Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Brokeback deserved it's nominations because it was a quality film.

As far as me seeing it, you just assume that because I'm not gay I haven't seen it. Perhaps guys like JJ shouldn't comment on posts THEY HAVE NOT READ.

Seriously, if you're trying to demonstrate what the stereotype of the martyred homosexual is then you're doing an outstanding job. If you're acctually trying to make a point asside from that then you're moving backwards not forwards.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 6:22 PM
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

Seriously, if you're trying to demonstrate what the stereotype of the martyred homosexual is then you're doing an outstanding job. If you're acctually trying to make a point asside from that then you're moving backwards not forwards.

<shrug>

fine, glad you saw it. hoped it made you think.

Martyred? Give me a break.

And Annie rocks because she's got an opinion and she's willing to state it.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 6:34 PM
You know, for most of you, this movie is just a movie about a couple of "gay cowboys."

For others, especially those such as myself, it speaks to and presents an aspect of our personal condition. I know what it is to be a gay man married to a woman. I know what it is to feel unable for so many years to express who I really am because of familial and societal standards. In many ways, this movie tells a bit of my story. It's an added benefit that it's a mainstream movie featuring A list actors who treated Annie's story and characters with respect and did so in an unflinching manner with respect to the love between the two main characters.

Sometimes a movie isn't just a movie; a story isn't just a story. To those who can't see that, I wonder if any form of literature can move you at all....
Posted By: PJP Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 6:39 PM
I hear you Jimbo. This movie moved you and helped you sort out your own feelings about the subject. If nothing else it comforted you to know that there are others like you out there. Over the years there have been many movies, books, or cds that inspired me and made me feel better. No one is denying this movie did that for you and was a well directed, well acted movie. I don't need to see it to know that.
Posted By: klinton Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 6:41 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Sometimes a movie isn't just a movie; a story isn't just a story. To those who can't see that, I wonder if any form of literature can move you at all....

It's always just that. If one needs to look to media for personal validation of any kind...well that individual is in a sad state.

Posted By: PJP Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 6:44 PM
That's not true klint. Jim wasn't looking for vindication....he simply relates to the movie and said, "yeah,I've been there".

That's happened to me plenty of times watching a movie.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 6:47 PM
Quote:

klinton said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

It's always just that. If one needs to look to media for personal validation of any kind...well that individual is in a sad state.

You really are thick, aren't you? Stick with drinking and smoking. That's your best chance to reach any kind of enlightenment.
Posted By: klinton Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 6:53 PM
Quote:

PJP said:
That's not true klint. Jim wasn't looking for vindication....

Yeah, he is. "Sometimes a movie isn't just a movie..." and getting obviously agitated that people don't share his reverence fot the film...
Posted By: PJP Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 6:54 PM
he's just passionate about it.
Posted By: klinton Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 6:58 PM
Quote:

PJP said:
he's just passionate about it.

As far as I can remember, there are absolutely no pink plastic ponies in the film....so why would anyone bother to be passionate about it?
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 6:59 PM
Quote:

klinton said:
Quote:

PJP said:
That's not true klint. Jim wasn't looking for vindication....

Yeah, he is. "Sometimes a movie isn't just a movie..." and getting obviously agitated that people don't share his reverence fot the film...

I'm most "agitated" by those who comment on it without having seen it. G-Man is the biggest defendant in that one.

And what's wrong with looking for some vindication in a piece of art? If art doesn't speak to you, sounds to me like you're the one deserving pathos.

And you'll have to explain why that's a pathetic thing (psst, you making any remarks of what is pathetic is a sad case of the pot calling the kettle black, dear boy).
Posted By: the G-man Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 7:21 PM
Jim, did you see every single movie produced this year in the United States?

Because, if you didn't, then aren't you guilty, by your own logic, of having an uniformed opinion?

Unless you've seen every single film, you can't really say that BM was the best film of the year and most deserving of an Oscar, can you?
Posted By: klinton Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 7:23 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
I'm most "agitated" by those who comment on it without having seen it. G-Man is the biggest defendant in that one.

Why do you care? Not everyone wants to see a drama about two guys hoplessly in love. That's fair enough. We've all looked at a movie at one point or other and made our judgements based on it's premise.

People don't have to respect this movie just because you hold it dear. It's still just a movie.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 7:24 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Jim, did you see every single movie produced this year in the United States?

Because, if you didn't, then aren't you guilty, by your own logic, of having an uniformed opinion?

Unless you've seen every single film, you can't really say that BM was the best film of the year and most deserving of an Oscar, can you?

Quote me where I said it should have won Best Picture. I said I was disappointed it didn't win, but I never said it deserved it over the other films. There is a difference, counselor. I haven't said one word about WALK THE LINE or CRASH or A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE or CAPOTE. I didn't see them.

I support Annie for speaking out if she feels that way.
Posted By: big_pimp_tim Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 7:30 PM
Quote:

PJP said:
I hear you Jimbo. This movie moved you and helped you sort out your own feelings about the subject. If nothing else it comforted you to know that there are others like you out there. Over the years there have been many movies, books, or cds that inspired me and made me feel better. No one is denying this movie did that for you and was a well directed, well acted movie. I don't need to see it to know that.

who guesses pjp's pw?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Sore losers - 2006-03-15 7:30 PM
But how can you be "disappointed it didn't win" if you didn't see the other nominated films? If you had, you might have been not disappointed, having recognized that a superior film won.

Under your logic, unless and until you've seen all the nominated films you have no business saying, or even supporting, an argument that BM was deserving of a win over those films. Under your logic, unless and until you've seen Crash, Walk the Line, etc., you have no way of evaluating with "annie's" claims are valid.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers - 2006-03-15 7:35 PM
I know in my own head I can be disappointed a film I really liked didn't win even without having seen the other films. I'm disappointed that STAR WARS didn't win Best Picture, but I didn't see THE TURNING POINT. It's a matter of "Yeah, I liked that movie. It would have been nice if it had won because then I could say a movie I really liked, identified with, also won Best Pic."

Ok, you can dodge the issue all you want, that you want to sit here and make comments, often crass ones that I want to think are beneath you, about the movie without having seen it.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Sore losers - 2006-03-15 7:49 PM
You're insulted because I've made crass comments about a movie...on a message board that is 99% crass comments about movies?
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers - 2006-03-15 7:59 PM
Didn't you once chide me for not working harder to be "above it all"?

If you wish to lump yourself in with BSAMS, be my guest.
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Sore losers - 2006-03-15 8:30 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
If you wish to lump yourself in with BSAMS, be my guest.

Posted By: klinton Re: Sore losers - 2006-03-15 8:35 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
I know in my own head I can be disappointed a film I really liked didn't win even without having seen the other films. I'm disappointed that STAR WARS didn't win Best Picture, but I didn't THE TURNING POINT. It's a matter of "Yeah, I liked that movie. It would have been nice if it had won because then I could say a movie I really liked, identified with, also won Best Pic."

But you really need to see Crash, Jim. I'm telling you, it was the better movie. Once you see it, you'll understand.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 10:34 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
I support Annie for speaking out if she feels that way.

That's such BS, have the balls to say you agree with her opinion. It's such a cop out to say "I said she rocks because she has an opinion" I have an opinion and I voice it every day, you've never told me I rock. Rush Limbaugh devotes 3 entire hours a day to voicing his opinion and yet you've never praised him. Why do you hide from the fact that you agree with Aniie? Could it be because her position is one of bitterness and being a sore loser over her missed inflated royalties and while you agree you know you don't cctually have a reasonable defense without exposing your true beliefs.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 11:24 PM
Ok, how's this?

I support Annie for speaking out if she feels that way. Why do I support her and not a Rush Limbaugh? Well, for starters, I don't advocate against Rush being removed, so I guess I do support Rush speaking his narrow-minded mind.

But I still can't say that I feel BROKEBACK *deserved* the Oscar over the others. If Annie feels that it did, then more power to Annie.

I don't see why that's such a stretch for you.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 11:41 PM
So if the rest of us feel differently, more power to us too, right?
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-15 11:47 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
So if the rest of us feel differently, more power to us too, right?

All I'm saying is that if you're going to comment on the movie, please see it first.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-16 1:48 AM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Ok, how's this?

I support Annie for speaking out if she feels that way. Why do I support her and not a Rush Limbaugh? Well, for starters, I don't advocate against Rush being removed, so I guess I do support Rush speaking his narrow-minded mind.

But I still can't say that I feel BROKEBACK *deserved* the Oscar over the others. If Annie feels that it did, then more power to Annie.

You'll pardon me for saying that your whole "justification" here is just silly. Annie is biiter and wrong and you think that rocks. So be it.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-16 1:56 AM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
All I'm saying is that if you're going to comment on the movie, please see it first.

So you know, for a fact, that Annie saw all the other movies and, therefore, can have an objective and valid opinion that BM's loss was wrong?
Posted By: Animalman Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-16 2:02 AM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
You know, for most of you, this movie is just a movie about a couple of "gay cowboys."

For others, especially those such as myself, it speaks to and presents an aspect of our personal condition. I know what it is to be a gay man married to a woman. I know what it is to feel unable for so many years to express who I really am because of familial and societal standards. In many ways, this movie tells a bit of my story. It's an added benefit that it's a mainstream movie featuring A list actors who treated Annie's story and characters with respect and did so in an unflinching manner with respect to the love between the two main characters.

Fair enough. I can understand why it means a lot to you.

For the record, I did think it was the best of the five movies nominated(and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm one of the few here who actually saw all five of those movies).

Now, while Annie Proulx is welcome to her opinion, don't you at least think that it undermines her cause to vocalize that opinion in a fairly classless manner? Even if she hated Crash, trashing it like that just gives ammunition to her cause's already numerous critics.

Brokeback Mountain was a great film. It was nominated for the highest award a film can receive. Furthermore, I think that, in a decade or two, it will probably be looked on as one of the most important films of the new millenium. There are so many positives here. She chose to dwell on the negatives.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-16 6:28 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

So you know, for a fact, that Annie saw all the other movies and, therefore, can have an objective and valid opinion that BM's loss was wrong?

OK, I interact with you. I don't interact with Annie.

But yeah, were I to speak to her, I would certainly tell her that she'd better have seen all the movies nominated before spouting off.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-16 6:45 PM
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Ok, how's this?

You'll pardon me for saying that your whole "justification" here is just silly. Annie is biiter and wrong and you think that rocks. So be it.

You quote me where I said, "Annie is bitter, but she so rocks for being bitter." Thank you.

I'd rather see Annie express that whatever bitterness she feels than to sit at home and just stew on it.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-17 5:03 AM
lol, you didn't even read my earlier posts, did you?
Posted By: Animalman Re: Sore losers. - 2006-03-17 5:07 AM
Every time someone says Annie I keep thinking they're talking about me...
Posted By: PJP Re: Where have all the Brokeback Cowboys gone? - 2006-03-17 5:09 AM
Where have all the cowboys gone?

dedudu dedudu dedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedudu
Posted By: PJP Re: Where have all the Brokeback Cowboys gone? - 2006-03-17 5:03 PM
The Original Brokeback Mountain

Posted By: PJP Where have all the Brokeback Cowboys gone? - 2006-03-17 5:04 PM
Quote:

PJP said:
Where have all the cowboys gone?

dedudu dedudu dedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedudu

Posted By: PJP Re: Where have all the Brokeback Cowboys gone? - 2006-03-17 5:07 PM
dedudu dedudu dedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedududedudu dedudu
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-03 11:54 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
I'll purchase BROKEBACK by the end of the week. I have a closeted buddy who won't see it in the theater but who wants to come see it at my place.

That's a little surprising to me. It would seem that, given all the "mainstream" accolades that this film received, that this is the one "gay" movie that a closeted man could see in safety.

Quote:

No, this is not a date.

Of course. The viewing is clearly for research purposes.

Posted By: Killconey Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-03 11:57 PM
Mainstream accolades or not, I didn't see that many other guys in the theater when Marlene and I went to go see Brokeback. Heck, if she hadn't been there, I honestly would not have gone simply because of the stigma attached to the film.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-04 6:19 PM
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
I'll purchase BROKEBACK by the end of the week. I have a closeted buddy who won't see it in the theater but who wants to come see it at my place.

That's a little surprising to me. It would seem that, given all the "mainstream" accolades that this film received, that this is the one "gay" movie that a closeted man could see in safety.

You don't understand the whole dynamics of his situation. But it's ok if you want to go ahead and make a comment about it like you do.

Quote:

Of course. The viewing is clearly for research purposes.

He wishes to view it privately for a number of reasons, none of which is any of your concern.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-04 6:20 PM
Quote:

Killconey said:
Mainstream accolades or not, I didn't see that many other guys in the theater when Marlene and I went to go see Brokeback. Heck, if she hadn't been there, I honestly would not have gone simply because of the stigma attached to the film.

And what "stigma" would that be? That any guy who goes to see it is automatically branded as a queer?

Seems like all that "stigma" really held it back at the box office....
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-04 7:12 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with Jim on that last point. Maybe in more conservative rural areas it could be a problem, but in a typical city I don't think there was much of any chance of man being "branded queer" simply for attending a screening of "Brokeback."

Which is, by the way, is the same reason I made my earlier comment which prompted you to say I didn't "understand the dynamics" of the situation.
Quote:

the G-man said:

Which is, by the way, is the same reason I made my earlier comment which prompted you to say I didn't "understand the dynamics" of the situation.

is that traffic school grammar?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-04 7:29 PM
No, just bad typing on my part. My traffic court secretary fixes that sort of thing in my paperwork.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-04 7:37 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Killconey said:

And what "stigma" would that be? That any guy who goes to see it is automatically branded as a queer?

I think what Killkony is saying is that if he didn't take his woman he would have gone to the movie with a hot guy and made out durring the sexy parts. He's afraid THAT would get him called a "queer".
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-04 7:38 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
He wishes to view it privately for a number of reasons, none of which is any of your concern.

JJ's gonna score.
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-04 8:03 PM
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

JJ's gonna score.

You are so off the mark it isn't even funny.
Posted By: Killconey Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-04 8:56 PM
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Killconey said:

Sorry, I forgot that my circumstances are different. Private Christian university dominates the town with students who enjoy protesting things and going to "sinful" areas to mock sinners. Pain in the ass.

I was also trying to be sympathetic for your friend, but I guess I missed the mark.
Posted By: Killconey Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-04 8:57 PM
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Killconey said:

I think what Killkony is saying is that if he didn't take his woman he would have gone to the movie with a hot guy and made out durring the sexy parts. He's afraid THAT would get him called a "queer".

WBAM speaks the truth!
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-04 9:27 PM
Quote:

Killconey said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Killconey said:

Sorry, I forgot that my circumstances are different. Private Christian university dominates the town with students who enjoy protesting things and going to "sinful" areas to mock sinners. Pain in the ass.

I was also trying to be sympathetic for your friend, but I guess I missed the mark.

I apologize for missing your mark. Discussions of gay issues on the RKMBs tend to get my hackles up automatically, so I tend to get immediately defensive.
Posted By: Killconey Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-04 9:30 PM
That's cool. I definitely could have said that better anyways.
Posted By: big_pimp_tim Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-04 9:46 PM
wtg kc, wtg
Posted By: Killconey Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-04 9:58 PM
I know.
Posted By: wannabuyamonkey Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-05 4:08 AM
Quote:

big_pimp_tim said:
wtg kc, wtg

kc got omgwtfpwnd!
Posted By: Killconey Re: Brokeback Mountain Comes to DVD - 2006-04-05 4:45 AM
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain Goes to Prison - 2006-04-09 6:16 PM
'Brokeback' screening lands prison officer in hot water

A Massachusetts correctional officer is being disciplined for showing the gay cowboy movie "Brokeback Mountain" to inmates at the state's largest prison because his boss determined that the film includes content inappropriate for a prison setting.

Massachusetts Department of Correction spokeswoman Diane Wiffin said Saturday that the action was not related to the critically acclaimed film's plot involving a gay love affair.

"It was not the subject matter. It was the graphic nature of sexually explicit scenes," Wiffin said.

She said the officer, whom she declined to identify, failed to follow prison guidelines that require staff who schedule films to review them in advance for excessive violence, nudity or sex, as well as scenes involving assaults on correctional staff.

Wouldn't "Brokeback Mountain" be deemed an instructional film in prison?
Posted By: Jim Jackson Re: Brokeback Mountain Goes to Prison - 2006-04-09 6:23 PM
Why don't you watch it and then go mingle out in the Yard and see if it taught you anything?

There are times you really disappoint me, G Man...
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Brokeback Mountain Goes to Prison - 2006-04-09 6:36 PM
Jim if you keep going on about this movie people will think you are gay like g-man.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain: the Opera - 2008-06-09 7:47 PM
Associated Press:
  • Get ready for "I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - the Aria."

The New York City Opera has commissioned Charles Wuorinen to compose an opera based on "Brokeback Mountain," the 1997 short story by Annie Proulx on which the 2005 Oscar-winning movie was based.

The opera is scheduled to premiere in 2013, the company said yesterday.

Funny. If this was going to be adapted to stage, I would have predicted a toe-tapping, big budget, broadway musical, with songs by Elton John.

Either way, I hope whomod and Halo get their tickets early.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Brokeback Mountain: the Opera - 2008-06-09 7:50 PM
Actually, I think they've already been rehearsing for the lead roles.

IfyouknowwhatImean.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain: the Opera - 2008-06-09 8:18 PM
And i think we all do
Posted By: rex Re: Brokeback Mountain: the Opera - 2008-06-09 8:39 PM
Heath ledger, still dead.
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Brokeback Mountain: the Opera - 2008-06-09 8:42 PM
WHAT???
Posted By: the G-man Re: Brokeback Mountain: the Opera - 2008-06-09 8:48 PM
 Originally Posted By: rex
Heath ledger, still dead.

That's probably the name of the opening number
© RKMBs