RKMBs
Posted By: Rob Nintendo Wii 2 / Project Cafe / Nintendo Wii U - 2011-04-16 12:22 AM
lotsa new info abounds on nerdery sites, like IGN.

the claims are that it is codenamed projected cafe (?!) and will be revealed in some fashion at this year's E3, aiming to launch 2012. on top of it pushing HD resolution at 1080p, they also claim it to be "significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360" with nintendo going after the hardcore market.

they claim it will be backward compatible, which means it would have to have motion controls and wiimote-type controllers. however, there are also claims the controller will be "traditional" in design. ...other than it also featuring a built-in touch screen that can also stream game content from the console to the controller, like a mini TV.
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-16 12:27 AM
all rumors and speculation, of course. but all getting hype as if already confirmed.

honestly, it sounds a bit crazy to me that nintendo would abandon their current "blue ocean" approach. they've made brajillions going after the non-hardcore gamer, why now try to fight for a niche that includes (and is now dominated by) two other juggernauts?

also... this controller sounds crazy town!

it's sposda have two joysticks, a d-pad, and all the regular buttons. and if it's backward compatible, it'll also have wii-mote/nunchuck type parts. and now, it also has a 6" screen in it, that will not only beam content to the controller, but also have touch-sensitivity.

...thats... something! it'd have to be huge, like ipad sized or something to cram all that in.
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-16 12:31 AM
and yes, i'll get the console regardless.

hulk hogan batman mario wank / cry.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-16 2:56 AM
It's my fault, I bought a Wii this year.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-16 2:57 AM
As for the controllers, it sounds goofy, but so did the nunchuks.
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-16 4:51 AM
 Originally Posted By: Irwin Schwab
It's my fault, I bought a Wii this year.

it was just about to be a real word

Originally Posted By: Irwin Schwab
As for the controllers, it sounds goofy, but so did the nunchuks.

i (clearly) have full faith in nintendo to do whatever it is they're doing correctly. i just think it sounds like a lot of stuff (if all rumors are true) to cram into a single controller.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-16 5:23 AM
They may get creamed if they try to compete in terms of cutting edge hardware (I think the n64 is their only attempt to compete in terms of raw power, and while profitable, it still wasn't able to get anywhere near the playstation's success)
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-16 5:27 AM
also, projected cafe is a real word!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-16 6:36 AM
 Originally Posted By: Rob
also... this controller sounds crazy town!

it's sposda have two joysticks, a d-pad, and all the regular buttons. and if it's backward compatible, it'll also have wii-mote/nunchuck type parts. and now, it also has a 6" screen in it, that will not only beam content to the controller, but also have touch-sensitivity.

...thats... something! it'd have to be huge, like ipad sized or something to cram all that in.

Sounds like a shell to me.
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-16 6:39 AM
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
They may get creamed if they try to compete in terms of cutting edge hardware (I think the n64 is their only attempt to compete in terms of raw power, and while profitable, it still wasn't able to get anywhere near the playstation's success)

i think the snes / genesis was really the last time nintendo put forth a concerted effort to compete. n64/playstation was where nintendo started drifting off on their own, and sony took full advantage. in the gamecube era, nintendo continued drifting to the side while xbox crept in to take the left over pieces of the "hardcore" world.

wii obviously abandoned the traditional thinking. there are hardcore games and hardcore gamers on the system, but it's obvious main focus is outside that realm, and nintendo has been ridiculously successful because of it. in fact, between the wii and the ds platforms, they're the two most successful consoles of all time - even beyond the likes of ps2, gameboy, and the rest. and it's that very same "blue ocean / non hardcore" mentality that got them there.

as much as i'd love nintendo to start catering directly to the hardcore audience on a personal level, i honestly don't know why they would bother when they've absolutely dominated the other path.

also, while the ps3 is a few years old, it's still incredibly powerful. going out of their way to outpace that could inflate costs a great deal, which is also not something nintendo is known to do.
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-16 7:09 AM
2 isn't even a real number.
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-16 7:09 AM
wait
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-16 4:56 PM
lotsa new info abounds on nerdery sites, like IGN.

the claims are that it is codenamed projected cafe (?!) and will be revealed in some fashion at this year's E3, aiming to launch 2012. on top of it pushing HD resolution at 1080p, they also claim it to be "significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360" with nintendo going after the hardcore market.

they claim it will be backward compatible, which means it would have to have motion controls and wiimote-type controllers. however, there are also claims the controller will be "traditional" in design. ...other than it also featuring a built-in touch screen that can also stream game content from the console to the controller, like a mini TV.

HD shovelware?

Sign me up!

Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-16 10:33 PM
I wonder if it will broadcast yankees games...
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-17 12:06 AM

the above is nothing official - it's just IGN's interpretation of the controller, which is a hybrid of the nintendo wii "classic controller pro" with some terrible photoshopping added. it's likely a good basis for what the rumors are speculating, though it does not have a wii-mote / nunchuck aspect to it. that could mean (1) the mockup is terribly wrong (2) the system will not be backwards compatible with wii or (3) the system will have multiple ports for wii controllers and "wii 2" controllers, just as wii had ports for gamecube games.

the dreamcast, way back in the late 90s, had a controller with a screen type feature:

it was terribly awkward, and the screen seemed like more of an after thought (trying to tack on the then-success of tomagotchis).
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-17 4:19 AM
hey, don't diss the DC. The controller is actually very comfortable. It's only big because of the extra vertical real estate, but horizontally it's not that big. It's nowhere near as bulky as the original X-box controller.

But I agree that the VM is not that useful (or underutilized). The screen is not part of the controller, but the memory card. There's a hollow space on that part.
Posted By: GARAW Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-17 7:44 AM
Hello everyone.
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-17 8:15 AM
I'm not clicking on that link...
Posted By: Black Machismo Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-17 8:40 AM
as long as the fucking thing plays netflix ill be happy.
Posted By: iggy Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-17 1:26 PM
I hope for ill's future happiness, too. Having an unhappy ill is like having no ill at all.
Posted By: Black Machismo Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-17 8:15 PM
 Originally Posted By: iggy
I hope for ill's future happiness, too. Having an unhappy ill is like having no ill at all.

lame, even in a drunken state, you are capable of better insults jordan.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-18 3:02 AM
JLA is the ill mac!
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-20 6:39 AM
FUCK YEAH!
Posted By: iggy Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-21 3:12 AM
 Originally Posted By: Black Machismo

I never learned about apostrophes!
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-25 7:08 PM
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110425_4e.pdf

Coming out in 2012, preview at this years E3
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-25 7:20 PM
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA

HD shovelware?

Sign me up!

Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-25 7:21 PM
That was so EPIC, it needed a reset!
Posted By: allan1 Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-26 1:14 AM
I like how articles refer to it as "Nintendo's Aging Wii system"(as if the 360 and PS3 are "young and vibrant").Everyone knows that every 5 or so years the current game systems are replaced with the new models so I also expect the PS4 and X-Box.3 announcements will also be coming soon.Better save up your kevlar vests for when the mad rush to buy comes around when they're all released.
Posted By: iggy Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-26 7:35 AM
Honestly, while I understand the whole idea of making a profit, this is what I don't like about the gaming industry. Honestly, I don't think a system has ever been out long enough to actually reach it's full potential. Okay, so, maybe the Wii has. Still, I don't think we've really seen anything push the envelope as far as the X-Box and PS3 are concerned. And, just as you said, I'm imagining we'll hear their announcements any day now.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-26 8:35 AM
the ps2 realized the living hell outta its potential.
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-27 1:17 AM
profit wise, every nintendo console has done wise.

tech wise, the ps2 is likely only the modern console to do so. nes and super nes had great "last years" games. most consoles just sorta conk out. but the ps2 STILL has titles hitting it, which is really unlike anything ever seen before so late in the span.
Posted By: Black Machismo Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-27 3:34 AM
profit wise, every nintendo console has done wise.

tech wise, the ps2 is likely only the modern console to do so. nes and super nes had great "last years" games. most consoles just sorta conk out. but the ps2 STILL has titles hitting it, which is really unlike anything ever seen before so late in the span.

when was the last game anyone actually wanted to buy for a ps2 tho.....
unlike snes...nes had must haves....

most new ps2 games are just crappier clones of wii and ps3 games...
Posted By: iggy Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-27 4:00 AM
I know I said I'd never post here again, but I just can't quit you guys.
Posted By: allan1 Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-27 11:03 PM
I know I said I'd never post here again, but I just can't quit you guys.

Brokeblack Machismo?
Posted By: Black Machismo Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-04-27 11:32 PM
jordan likes bareback machismo.
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-05-04 11:09 PM
The original Wii is getting a price cut to $150 and will now include Mario Kart instead of Wii Sports. I like the price cut but it still should have included Wii Sports and Wii Resort.
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-05-05 8:02 AM
Fuck that shit, Mario Kart Wii is the greatest videogame ever.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-05-05 8:38 AM
fuck you, dad. Sega Sonic All Star Racing is better.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-05-06 2:48 AM
Go to hell muthafuckas Qix is da bomb yo!
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-05-06 5:29 AM

Can you imagine this one in HD?

FUCK YEAH!
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-05-06 5:59 AM
 Originally Posted By: rex
I like the price cut but it still should have included Wii Sports and Wii Resort.

fuuuuuuuck yoooooooooooooooooou
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-05-06 6:02 AM
 Originally Posted By: MisterJLA

Can you imagine this one in HD?

FUCK YEAH!

HELLS YEAH!
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-06-07 7:51 PM
They're announcing it right now. Its a tablet.
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-06-07 7:53 PM
But its not supposed to be a portable device.

I have a bad feeling about this.
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-06-07 8:03 PM
This isn't a new console. Its Nintendo's attempt at the tablet market. This is the most mainstream and casual thing they've ever done.
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-06-07 8:05 PM
Now they're saying its a portable system for hardcore players. They need to make up their minds.
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-06-07 8:28 PM
This isn't a new console. Its Nintendo's attempt at the tablet market. This is the most mainstream and casual thing they've ever done.

the wii 2 / project cafe / wii u (still not a real word ... u...) is a new console. all they showcased today was the controller, which is like a tablet and controller hybrid.

the new console, itself, will be significantly more powerful than the wii, pushing HD graphics and such, like real boy.

i'm not entirely sure if the wii u tablet controller can be used with the original nintendo wii or just the new nintendo wii u (the demos appear to be using an original wii, but that could just be for demonstration purposes). however, nintendo was quick to point out the new controller is NOT a portable gaming device -- despite having it's own screen and buttons, the games are ONLY playable when tethered to the wiiu console (via wifi or blutooth or ... nintendo magic or whatever)
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-06-07 8:31 PM
essentially, it appears to be a marriage of a 360/ps3, an iPad, and a nintendo wii. which could very much be insanely awesome, or satanic fodder. however, from the demos and such, i'm excited.

mainstream, HD titles like tekken and batman arkham city, nintendo wii silly fun like mario and such, an HD zelda, and ipad-like casual games on the tablet alone. plus cool new gaming aspects, like augmented reality and all that nonsense. seems to address a good deal of awesome.

i'm not yet convinced the controller will be fun to hold, but everything else looks awesome.
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-06-07 8:31 PM
I didn't know there was an actual console until just now. They needed to be clearer about it.

So it looks like a tablet that you can also use on a TV, which is cool. The using two screens at once can also lead to some interesting games. I still want to see what comes out of it.
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-06-07 8:48 PM
I didn't know there was an actual console until just now. They needed to be clearer about it.

yar. the main showcase is the controller, like wii. the ole "sure, it's a console that plays games, but here's what sets us apart" bit. the controller is the key to wiiu. but there is a wiiu system.

what it looks like, not yet revealed. the demos (and, again, could just be the demos) showed a wii, or wii-like, console. maybe wiiu looks the same, maybe not.

but the wiiu console will be able to play HD games, which the wii obviously can't. in addition to being much more powerful, the word is nintendo will use a blu-ray-like media (same thing as blu-ray, just no working with sony!) in addition to built in HD and flash drive tech. no word on if it'll play movie discs in addition to netflix, but if nintendo's past is any indication, no.

So it looks like a tablet that you can also use on a TV, which is cool. The using two screens at once can also lead to some interesting games. I still want to see what comes out of it.

yeah, it really seems to address every type of gamer: hardcore, apple fruity, and wii casual.

you can play a game in multiple ways:
- on the tv, like normal gaming
- JUST the controller (with the tv off)
- both: using the TV for main gaming and controller screen for like inventory screens. OR, like some of the demos showed, using the tv for main gaming and the controller for just "other views". the sample they featured (which is limited, but just shows possibilities) is placing the controller on the ground, making it look like a tee and golf ball. then you swing over the controller, and it shows you hit the ball "in" to the TV. not exactly like you can use that in arkham city, but still looked cool as an added dimension.

also important to note, in that golf example, the player was using the wiiu controller AND a wii controller
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii 2 - 2011-06-07 9:06 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/07/this-is-what-the-wii-u-looks-like/

There is a console, it looks like a bloated Wii.
Posted By: Rob Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-07 9:37 PM
aww, lookit the lil fella.

i'm surprised its so small - with the significantly amped horsepower, i'd think it'd need a bigger chase, especially for all the fans and such.

if that's the final design, it's like half the size of a single controller
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-07 9:47 PM
more people talk about this!
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-07 9:50 PM
no
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-07 9:57 PM
\:\/
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-07 10:09 PM
i... just... read that there's a whole new chuck game for wiiu! with all new chuck-like adventures. as well as a conan game and games about oregon!!
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-07 10:48 PM
"Ridiculous!" -serious gamers, 4 years before buying the same thing with a different name
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-07 10:57 PM
i... just... read that there's a whole new chuck game for wiiu! with all new chuck-like adventures. as well as a conan game and games about oregon!!

Does it make fun of Oregon?
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-07 11:07 PM
So more specs are coming out. They haven't announced a HDD size for it but there will be one and you can use external HDDs with it which I think is a great thing since if they want you to be able to play games off of the console in other rooms you shouldn't have to walk back to the console to change games.

I still want to know more about the controller. I want to know if you'll be able to use it as a tablet (reading e-books and such) or will Nintendo restrict what we can do with it?

I'm also interested in how the different screens will interact. I would love to see something like a Mario game where four people are playing on their controllers and everything is shown on the TV for other people to watch. This seems like something Nintendo would want to do to reach more players.
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-07 11:07 PM
Also, rob is gay.
Posted By: iggy Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-07 11:34 PM
No fair. They put a Zelda screen shot in the photos. Guess I got to buy it now.
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-07 11:39 PM

an HD zelda screen shot!
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-07 11:48 PM
I still want to know more about the controller. I want to know if you'll be able to use it as a tablet (reading e-books and such) or will Nintendo restrict what we can do with it?

as of now, i believe the controller can be used as long as it is within the reach of the WiiU console. so, as far as i know, that means it will be like a tablet, but a home-based tablet. not that different from the core iPad model, which relies on the wifi most folks have at home.

however, as long as you're within the range, and the wiiU is on, i think the tablet can be used for anything: they've already shown casual gaming, hardcore gaming (as you would on a tv) and surfing the web, in addition to looking through pictures. i imagine there'll be an appstore-type environment where you can download other features, like a calculator or notepad.

I'm also interested in how the different screens will interact. I would love to see something like a Mario game where four people are playing on their controllers and everything is shown on the TV for other people to watch. This seems like something Nintendo would want to do to reach more players.

they've shown a few demos so far, and it's pretty varied.

the "main / hardcore" use shows the gamer holding the controller and playing most of the action on tv. the controller becomes like a subscreen for maps or inventories.

other use shows a more direct interaction, where the controller is like a shield or tennis racket, which is using it more like the wii-remotes.

then there's the more external use -- they had one demo where four gamers were using wiiremotes to control characters running around the TV (in 4-way split screen). meanwhile, the fifth person was using JUST the wiiu remote, not looking at the screen. in the game, the 4 gamers were chasing the one wiiu gamer, where the wii-u gamer had the shot of the full board, and the 4 wii gamers could only see their own perspective.

then there's the more augmented reality type stuff, which gets a little harder to explain, but seems awesome. in the one demo, the gamer was holding the wiiu controller and looking at the big screen tv. on the tv, there were pirate ships shooting arrows at the gamer. the gamer not only had to deflect the arrows, using the wiiu controller as a shield, but then if the gamer stood up and physically turned to the left and the right (e.g.; away from the tv screen) they could see additional pirate ships in the wiiu controller screen -- as if the entire room was the game, but only immediately visible via the TV. friggin awesome.

they also showed a lot of interaction with the existing wii software and attachments. for example, the wiifit balance board. right now, to weigh in, you have to turn on your wii and boot up the big screen. in the new system, you can keep the tv off, and have the balance board synced through the controller, seeing your weight and progress on the controller.
Posted By: iggy Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-07 11:58 PM

an HD zelda screen shot!

As for the system, I like that they kept the dimensions similar to that of the Wii. Especially, if they were able to do so without giving up much--if any--horsepower. My only complaint, purely aesthetic, is that my first thought about the controller was it looked like a WiiMote sexed up an old Game Gear.
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-08 12:21 AM
http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/introduction

The official site is now up and it explains the new console better than the E3 presentation did.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-08 3:07 AM
I just hope there's no manufacturing/hardware-related problems like the RROD, the YLOD or the white DS auto-cracking hinge.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-08 3:10 AM
What happened to the old days when you had to throw around the nes controller for a bit before it breaks? Or gameboys that can survive a real life bomb.
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-08 5:21 AM
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-08 6:11 AM

Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-08 9:52 PM
Has anyone seen a demo or anything where they play with more than one touchpad controller? Maybe you can only hook up one extra screen to the Wii U? I could see how hooking up more could get confusing... or potentially awesome, if you're playing an AR game and look to the side to find your fat friend transformed into a voluptous warrior.
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-09 10:58 PM
I've seen some interviews where they hint at looking into more than one controller but it looks like they won't be.

The controller screen is reportedly not in HD.
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-10 12:42 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/wii-u-currently-only-supports-one-wiipad/

Quote:
Investing in a new console is never cheap, but considering the main input method for the Wii U is a controller with a screen in it, we were understandably daunted by the idea of having to buy multiple WiiPads. According to Shigeru Miyamoto (probably known best as the senior producer on Chibi Robo) we needn't have worried.

Miyamoto told GamePro that the Wii U will only support one WiiPad, explaining that if the company had wanted to do multiple touchscreens it would have found a way to let players use 3DS systems with the new console.

Miyamoto didn't rule out the possibility of letting you take your WiiPad to a friends house and linking up play somehow, but it doesn't seem to be actively in the works at the moment.
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-10 1:09 AM
very odd. sounds like there's more to the story somewhere. i know many games were being played with the wii-non-u controllers, but if games like tekken and such are already reported to be working their way to the system, there'd have to be a way for multiple controllers.

maybe there's a mythical controller shell...?
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-10 1:25 AM
You can use the wii controllers for multiplayer. You just can't use more than one wii u controller.
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-10 1:29 AM
You can use the wii controllers for multiplayer. You just can't use more than one wii u controller.

yar, but if new developers are all jazzed to create a game for the system, it's now essentially asking them to create two.

for example, if tekken makes this great new fighter using the wii-u controller, all that goes away when you invite a friend over. now either one of you is using the awesome controller and the other the older one, or you're both using the older one. ...or, there's no "traditional" in-home multiplayer, at all.
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-10 2:46 AM
It's weird. I could see it working in some multiplayers like Wario Ware (in fact a Wario Ware in this format would be awesome), but in others it would get confusing, since everyone would be playing a different game depending ont he controller you're holding.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-10 4:35 AM
nintendo's touchscreen obsession is tearing the boards apart!
Posted By: Rob (fuck you) Kamphausen Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-10 5:16 AM
or is it...
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-10 8:37 AM
or is... hey!
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-10 8:38 AM
IGN

• "Our basic premise is that you can use one with a system," Miyamoto told the site. He detailed further that asking players to use more controllers started to beg the question of why not just find a way to use a 3DS as a Wii U controller.

Don't think the idea of a single controller Wii U is set in stone, though. Miyamoto discussed the notion of friends bringing over their controllers. Would friends be able to play against other friends on one system?

"We are doing research about if someone brings their controller to their friend's house and they want to play together on Wii U to whether or not something like that would be possible."
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-10 11:18 AM
I hope my friends can bring their PS vita over and use it on the Wii U
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-12 1:55 AM

this is a teaser shot from an upcoming wii u ubisoft game, killer freaks from outer space. it shows the "main" player using a regular controller (the wii's classic pro) and the "other" player using the wii u weirdo controller.

the classic pro controller is actually quite similar to "regular" 360 and ps3 controllers, though it got very little use on the nintendo wii. outside of downloadable games, most developers were designing for the wii-mote controllers. maybe now that the wii u will have a more traditional skew (HD, third party support, hard drives, friend code-less online support, etc.) the controller of choice will become the dual-shock-like classic pro.

with that theory, maybe developers could design games using the classic pro for games like tekken, tom clancy, and batman arkham city, etc. the wii-u controller could then either be used for "additional content," a stranger-looking classic controller that functions the same as a classic controller, or flat out ignored.
Posted By: allan1 Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-13 5:37 PM
Gotta say,as much as I like Nintendo,this doesn't excite me at all.The standard controller seems like a step-back for Nintendo after so much went into marketing the Wii-motes and it's success and the Wii-pad looks bulky as hell and not something I want to hold for too long to play a game.I'm guessing that the current Wii will still have games made for it for the family-friendly console it turned into while the Wii U will market to try and bring back the gamers Nintendo lost to the 360 and PS3.
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-13 8:21 PM
 Originally Posted By: allan1
Gotta say,as much as I like Nintendo,this doesn't excite me at all.The standard controller seems like a step-back for Nintendo after so much went into marketing the Wii-motes and it's success and the Wii-pad looks bulky as hell and not something I want to hold for too long to play a game.I'm guessing that the current Wii will still have games made for it for the family-friendly console it turned into while the Wii U will market to try and bring back the gamers Nintendo lost to the 360 and PS3.

oddly, it seems like the wiiu is just the wii on steroids. the bulk of the games / demos shown all use the original wii-remote. this newer controller appears to only get partial use -- as if the new controller is for the "traditional hardcore gamer," and the "new / casual / family gamers" can continue using the wii-remotes for new games, and all the backward compatible ones.
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-13 9:51 PM
Wii U Is Actually 50% More Powerful Than PS3 - Report

Quote:
Wii U will be HD, supporting up to 1080p resolution just like Xbox 360 and PS3, but beyond that it's unclear how powerful the hardware will ultimately be when it ships sometime next year. Nintendo never provides a full breakdown, although the company did say that the form factor is "near final." While many assumed Wii U would be on par with the current HD consoles, word is coming in from developers that it's quite a bit more powerful.

Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia commented today, "Some of the developers we spoke to indicated to us that the console will have 50% more processing power compared to the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. This is yet to be confirmed by Nintendo."

At E3 last week, Nintendo did little to prove this point. During the press conference, footage of Xbox 360 and PS3 titles was used, although the company did show off an impressive tech demo of a bird flying around some trees, and Nintendo also created a very pretty tech demo to represent what a new Zelda might look like.

If this is true I see Nintendo having all the same triple A games that the next Playstation and Xbox have. I don't think games can look much better than newer PS3 games look.
Posted By: rex Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-18 10:45 PM
Nintendo is now saying that the Wii U can support more than one Wii U controller but they are to expensive to sell on their own. They are also telling developers to make games that will support one Wii U controller.
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-19 1:05 AM
Nintendo is now saying that the Wii U can support more than one Wii U controller but they are to expensive to sell on their own. They are also telling developers to make games that will support one Wii U controller.

my suspicion is they designed the wiiu controller to be a unique experience, and that they'll be catering more towards "classic pro gamepads" as the traditional controller for "hardcore gamers". that would address all issues, including cost.
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-24 12:04 AM
no confirmed release date yet, but any spokesman mentioning the launch continues to say "after q4 2011" or "after april 2012", which in business terms are essentially the same thing. while this makes most people expect a holiday 2012 launch, there's a growing rumor that the system will debut in the spring or summer of 2012. i think i've begun favoring that; perhaps something right after next year's e3. especially if nintendo is touting third party support with games like assassins creed and batman arkham city: if those titles are hitting other consoles this winter, it's no longer much of a plus to drop a full year later. granted, 6 months later isn't that wonderful, either, but at least the game still has a "new" twinge to it then -- especially if there's some added functionality (like a "playable alfred!" feature or something silly)
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-24 3:45 AM
you really want to play with Alfred?
Posted By: Rob Re: Nintendo Wii U - 2011-06-24 4:37 AM
there's a question...?
© RKMBs