RKMBs
Posted By: Animalman Grant Morrison: the early years - 2008-08-01 5:53 AM
Picked up this book at Forbidden Planet a week or so ago. The author, Timothy Callahan, presents a critical breakdown of selected work from Morrison's early Vertigo days, as well as his groundbreaking series Zenith. As my handle might suggest, I'm very fond of this period in comicdom, so I very much enjoyed Mr. Callahan's take on what I genuinely feel is some of the best work ever produced in the medium. He presents his analysis from an informed outsider's perspective, which I imagine most MB-folk would appreciate, and he does so in a fittingly literate and insightful manner. He covers Doom Patrol, Batman: Gothic, Animal Man and Arkham Asylum, as well as the aforementioned Zenith, while tangentially touching on stuff like the Invisibles and the popular runs on JLA and X-Men. He concludes the text with an interview with Morrison himself.

Here's an Amazon link for those curious. Anyone else check this one out?
Posted By: Pariah Re: Grant Morrison: the early years - 2008-08-01 5:55 AM
Nope.
Posted By: PJP Re: Grant Morrison: the early years - 2008-08-01 5:59 AM
Grant Morrison is the Devil.
Loved his JLA AND Animal man.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Grant Morrison: the early years - 2008-08-01 6:01 PM
I'll probably check it out. Morry is a good writer...
Posted By: PJP Re: Grant Morrison: the early years - 2008-08-01 6:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP
Grant Morrison is the Devil.
have you read Batman RIP?
Posted By: Joe Mama Re: Grant Morrison: the early years - 2008-08-01 8:39 PM
Not yet, but I'll buy it. Recent works aside, I enjoy his writing. That said, as far as poetry goes, he's no...

PJP. That cat can cobble together some verse!

(Who'd you think I was gonna say?)
Posted By: the G-man Re: Grant Morrison: the early years - 2008-08-01 8:50 PM
Morrie's a good writer, but he needs a good editor who'll tell him to put down the pipe once in a while and rein in his ADHD style of story telling.
I think I read part of that somewhere and it was pretty interesting. I won't go out of my way to buy it, though.
i think i bought part of that somewhere and it was pretty interesting. I won't go out of my way to read it, though.
Rooooob!
© RKMBs