Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Better watch that, Chewy, or you're liable to become the official Hero HQ "nitpick"...

With you and Euro around? I'm not worried!

Actually, as a Greek minor, misinterpretation of foreign languages (especially the Greek language, but occasionally Latin as well) is one of the very few things that subtly irks me. But I'm getting better.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Just finished catching up with everything that was posted over the last couple of days (been so busy at work this has been my first opportunity to do so). Kudos to Grimm, Mxy, and TTT on a superb batch of posts! Masterfully done, all! Simply fabulous! TTT, I loved the Axel/Grissom interaction. I can't see him really liking kids to begin with, but especially not in a high-stress situation like that. Grimm, awesome job with the Naecken death scene. Fabulous! And, Mxy... AWESOME! There aren't enough words to tell you how flippin' cool that 'balancing' of Smith post was. Well done, indeed!

A very Merry Christmas to you all and the hopes of a blessed New Year to you all! May God bless and keep you in His grace and love!

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Thanks, Chew. Let me just add to Mxy, GREAT stuff, with the balancing of Smith, the use of Tayden, the team's discovery of Mick's body(?!). Excellent stuff.

Overall, I'd say this has been one of our more consistently good stories, everybody's really been putting forth an effort to do something special. Good work, people.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Posted the end.

I did a very minor reference to Lance and Velo still being made of stone. I think I have read that Pro will take care of the situation, if that was uspposed to happen BEFORE they left, I can edit that line.

I see that in Mxy post TC has apparently healed from his wounds, a thing not surprising, considering his faster metabolism.
But I still think that, being him without a poster, we should either:
1) Have him leaving Vanguard
2) Loose temporarly his power and become a supporting character.
I would like to hear from everybody on that subject.

I will post an epilogue regarding the Strikeforce, I fear it will be huge and will take a few days to be written properly.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Euro, great ending. I really enjoyed seeing the whole 'Red/Green Naecken' thing played out to its logical end. Very well done, man.

BTW, one day, I'll have to get this new Naecken and Rowena together for a discussion on 'Life'...

And, yes, I do indeed have a plan for what to do with Velo and LLance. However, it's not one that will return them to normal. I'm thinking, since it looks like Velo and LL won't be back for awhile, I'll just 'move them out' with the pertrified concept. Unless someone's against this. If so, speak up.

As for Tobias Christopher, I have ideas of how to remove him, if anyone wants. However, I also find him fun to play with as a 'background' character. He's my Flash fix. So, either way is fine with me. But, if the consensus is that he goes, then, I would like to do it. Anyone else?

All in all, really good story guys. However, I'm still waiting to see what Mxy has up his sleeves...

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
I know Mxy wanted Larry Lance to be the best man at Mick and Shirley's wedding, though I really have no idea what plans he has for that any longer. Mxy keeps his cards carefully guarded...

Kristogar Velo the poster will probably continue to use his character in solo stories.

Tobias Christopher the poster has not written with the group for several months now (almost a year, I think) as he's very busy with RPGs on Moorg's board, so let's just get rid of his character, already. It's time to flush out all the old, unused stuff and continue on with the dynamic of the new characters we have now. Still, don't kill off T.C. in case Tobias ever rejoins us for real.

Also, I think if we still want to do Chance's funeral, it HAS to be in an epilogue in issue #14, NOT in the Christmas Special, which is another animal entirely and in which it wouldn't really fit in. I hope, Prometheus, that you write all or at least most of Kristofer Schanz's funeral as you mentioned you wanted to do. I think you'd do a good job at it.

Click here or I'll bite you! The Time Trust
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

I think Mxy wanted Larry Lance to be the best man at Mick and Shirley's wedding, though I really have no idea what plans he has for that any longer.

That's cool. I'll 'fix' LL before the wedding (if there's a wedding).

Kristogar Velo the poster will probably continue to use his character in solo stories.

*sigh* Fine. I'll fix him, too.

Tobias Christopher the poster has not written with the group for several months now (almost a year, I think) as he's very busy with RPGs on Moorg's board, so let's just get rid of his character, already. It's time to flush out all the old, unused stuff and continue on with the dynamic of the new characters we have now. Still, don't kill off T.C. in case Tobias ever rejoins us for real.

I would never kill TC off. I enjoy the character too much.

But, unless there are other objections, I'll write him out in an epilogue.

Also, I think if we still want to do Chance's funeral, it HAS to be in an epilogue in issue #14, NOT in the Christmas Special, which is another animal entirely and in which it wouldn't really fit in. I hope, Prometheus, that you write all or at least most of Kristofer Schanz's funeral as you mentioned you wanted to do. I think you'd do a good job at it.

Well, I think I'd probably enjoy writing it. However, coming so long (real time) since he actually died, the emotional impact has waned a bit in me. I'll go back and re-read everything, and see if I can cobble something worthy together...

1 post
1 post
You are all doomed. Stay out of Mandelovia.

Left hand power of the pure. The world will tremble at our command. Left hand power of the lords. Builds upon our destiny. Destiny, take this land. Take this land by the death of man. Left hand triumph of the will. The world will whimper in our wake. - Lords of the Left Hand, Samhain
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Pro, I kind of need Lance for my ... Special, and I really need KV. Besides, I know that KV the poster is planning to do some solo stories with his character soon, and from the little he's told me I'm looking forward to that.

500+ posts
500+ posts
As for Tobias, I OBJECT! He is one of the characters that in my opinion has become the stable MBL/Vanguardian member (sorta like JLA's Martian Manhunter). Not only do I really enjoy writing him, but I feel that we have fleshed him out so well and have spent so much time in writing and developing him that it would be a waste to write him out. Personally, I think I have written the TC character just as much as my own creations and I would be very saddened by not having him as a part of the team.

Is it really such a hassle for him to be included? Even if only as a supporting character, or one that comes and goes (with his speed thats no problem).

My vote is that he stays until his writer writes him out. His writer could have easily written him out (as Danny did for example), but instead made a concious choice to keep him as part of the line up.

My $0.02.

Have you ever looked into a mirror and wondered if behind it was another world, the same... but totally different?
- Reflection (2002) UTOPIAN PRODUCTIONS
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
My fear is that we could change him beyond his creator intentions. In the first stories he was a grim character, coming from a life on street and the killing of his girlfriend. Plus, when he returned brought the news that he had found his son... now he hangs around as a very joyful character...

I wouldn't have problem keeping him around as a supporting character (an organization like Vanguard should have dozens, I think), but only if depowered. With his powers, he is the most powerful of them all, and having him not coming into the mission would make no sense.

The one poster one character rule could seems a stupid thing, but at the least is a way to make our stories easier, without too many characters to understand, remember and render correctly.

I have never understood the B team members, but I can ignore them as they are just a peripheral concept of our Universe. The same could be not applied for the mebers of Vanguard. So, less there are, easier is for everyone to grasp them well. Also, less core characters are around, quicker an interplay not superficial can be created among them.

My €0,01

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

You are all doomed. Stay out of Mandelovia.

Ooga booga.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I have posted a first row of epilogues, taking care of leftover plot points. I have still to post a bigger epilogue for the Strikeforce and Jack Merlin.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Quote:

I think Mxy wanted Larry Lance to be the best man at Mick and Shirley's wedding, though I really have no idea what plans he has for that any longer.

That's cool. I'll 'fix' LL before the wedding (if there's a wedding).

*sigh* Fine. I'll fix him, too.

I think Mxy want to set his wedding between the end of the story and the beginning of the Christmast special, so the fix would be better to appear as an epilogue to the story. It would also help the readability of ther story itself, resolving open plot point as much as possible in the same thread, IMO.

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
For those of you wondering what happened to Vengeance. . .now you know.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Cool place, the Asylum!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Okay. LLance and Velo will be fixed in an epilogue. I don't mind this, as I had only peripheral ideas about using their condition for a story idea involving a "Quest" of a type. A journey into the realms of Haven, involving volunteered members of Vanguard and The Order, to search for a cure. You know, a great story where the characters travel from realm to realm, fighting mythological creatures, and alien weapon systems. Where they meet new allies and enemies alike.

But, oh well.

I'll fix them both.

As for Tobias, I stated once before that I had no problem with him either way. I agree with Gooz that he is a bit like the JLA's J'onn, in that he's always been around. So, if he stays, I'm down with that.

But, although Euro sees it differently, I think IF he stays around, then, he stays around. I don't like the idea of depowering him, and, yet, having him hang around. I'm already having a hard time swallowing the adventure-seeking Grissom voluntarily staying behind from every mission. But, for me, Tobias loses all interesting qualities once you remove his speed.

I have no real trouble writing Tobias, and his power levels. Sure, we'll always have to take into account his massive speed, and the adavantages therein. But, he's not too powerful. We just put some thought into the situations we write, and use our imaginations to write him out logically and rationally when needed. I.E., his capture by The Order in Heroes and Legends.

So, in short, I'm for Tobias leaving or staying. But, either way, if he stays, I think he should remain powered-up.

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Hee! Thanks. Been waiting to bring that stuff in for a while.

Posted an epilogue for Grimm, and got one more to go. Then I'm done with 14.

Euro, I'm not sure about the Naecken stuff, though I saw it coming quite a while back. But I like the setup you did with Saros and Raptor. And I'm glad Eddie's back.

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
One little thing for TTT:
Quote:

It was December 23rd, the busiest shopping day of the year.

The busiest shopping day is actually the Friday following Thanksgiving (our Thanksgiving), affectionately referred to by those in the retail industry as "Black Friday." Just a little FYI.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Testing cool avatar/gif...

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

One little thing for TTT:
Quote:

It was December 23rd, the busiest shopping day of the year.

The busiest shopping day is actually the Friday following Thanksgiving (our Thanksgiving), affectionately referred to by those in the retail industry as "Black Friday." Just a little FYI.

Ha! Maybe in the U.S.A., but not in the world at large, and certainly not on La Perdita, where there is no Thanksgiving Day.

BTW, Euro brought up a very good point which I'd forgotten. We may THINK that Tobias Christopher is a well-rounded character since we're all comfortable writing him, but the truth is that his creator writes the character in a COMPLETELY different way. T.C. as defined by his creator is actually a brooding young man who had been a homeless person, who is obsessed with the rape and murder of his girlfriend and the fate of his missing younger brother, and who has a son somewhere out there in the world. Now, since Tobias Christopher ISN'T around to control the destiny of his character, we shouldn't be trying to control him ourselves. Time to cut the cords, so to speak. No team members without posters is the staple rule, and it's a rule we use for good reason. Let's use the characters we have now rather than continue mis-writing the characters of absent posters.

Last edited by TheTimeTrust; 2003-12-26 5:52 PM.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

I'm already having a hard time swallowing the adventure-seeking Grissom voluntarily staying behind from every mission.

In my mind, it works like this:

Grissom originally joined the team in an advisory capacity (i.e. - security advisor), which is actually the reason why he didn't go on the mission with the team in his first appearance, but stayed back at the HQ. He's gone on a few other missions since (the Malta mission, saving Kit's daughters in New Orleans, and the missions in Heroes & Legends), but his primary capacity with the team has always been strictly advisory for the most part - using his plethora of skills where necessary. After several of the "security breeches" of the last few issues (i.e. - Walker opening doorways into the HQ, Adem Different's sudden appearance), it's important that he start working a lot on taking additional precautions against such things happening again. Griss is also a "jack-of-all-trades" which means he could be just as useful at the Headquarters as he could be on the field, as I feel was evidenced by his use last issue as an Oracle-like character. His connections all over the world make him useful as a man who can "get" things (cars, guns, drinks, clothes, equipment... whatever) and he does have a bit of field medical training.

While he is an initial combination of Indiana Jones and James Bond, he's not all about the adventure. Like Dr. Jones himself said, it's not all about discovering lost cities and ancient civilizations - it's about the research.

Like I've said, the guy's good at anything and can be used in any capacity. I made him that way on purpose so that he would be able to work something out in a pinch if necessary and there wasn't an 'expert' around to do so. However, he's not invincible, as his fondness for the ladies will often cloud his judgement. Strike that. Always cloud his judgement. I'm amazed the guy can even think with Brianna and Nuriko skulking around... not to mention that uber-mysterious Vicki Xiang!

If push comes to shove, problems with his initial business - Sandcrawler Security - could draw him back to Los Angeles, but that's ultimately up to Philsy, as I left the character to him in my "will" about a month or so back. Either way, it's all up to you to make Grissom grow where he is planted...

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
It'd be groovy if I could do an epilogue. Please give me until tomorrow morning to get that up before wrapping this beeyotch. Thanks!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I have done with my epilogues. The streikeforce one has come out much shorter than I was planning to do, but I found myself unable to write a good funeral, so I had it on the distance.

The whole "Grimm killing cold bloodly Hero" thing is not forgotten, though... but Merlin will use those footage only if and when he will think they would be useful for his goals.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

]Euro, I'm not sure about the Naecken stuff, though I saw it coming quite a while back. But I like the setup you did with Saros and Raptor. And I'm glad Eddie's back.

Naecken's stuff was something set by T5, I simply used it to fulfill his intentions, and to send the characters into limbo. Even the resurrection of Eddie was something that T5 suggested me, exactly one year ago.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Okay. LLance and Velo will be fixed in an epilogue. I don't mind this, as I had only peripheral ideas about using their condition for a story idea involving a "Quest" of a type. A journey into the realms of Haven, involving volunteered members of Vanguard and The Order, to search for a cure. You know, a great story where the characters travel from realm to realm, fighting mythological creatures, and alien weapon systems. Where they meet new allies and enemies alike.

This is great! Let's do it with Tobias instead of Velo and Lance.

But, although Euro sees it differently, I think IF he stays around, then, he stays around. I don't like the idea of depowering him, and, yet, having him hang around. I'm already having a hard time swallowing the adventure-seeking Grissom voluntarily staying behind from every mission. But, for me, Tobias loses all interesting qualities once you remove his speed.

I have no real trouble writing Tobias, and his power levels. Sure, we'll always have to take into account his massive speed, and the adavantages therein. But, he's not too powerful. We just put some thought into the situations we write, and use our imaginations to write him out logically and rationally when needed. I.E., his capture by The Order in Heroes and Legends.

You have no problem, but, for example, I have. Tobias presence means that all the opponents of Vanguard should be superhuman, or magical; a gang of mafiosi, for example, would be no match for Tobias, as he would take them out before they would even noticing it. I know that Mxy's is as much powerful as Tobias, but at last he is very ingenuos. So far, Tobias has not any soft spot.

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Time to cut the cords, so to speak. No team members without posters is the staple rule, and it's a rule we use for good reason. Let's use the characters we have now rather than continue mis-writing the characters of absent posters.

I definitely and wholeheartedly agree. We have plenty of characters around as it is. I do enjoy characters like Tobias, Tayden, etc. but we have so much to deal with already, we can probably let them go a bit. Even if we just move them back to support staff or something.

Phil: of course you can write an epilogue, man. There are probably quite a few still to come. lol

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Regarding Tobias not having a soft spot or weakness, I have to thoroughly disagree. He is still human, after all, and has the same weaknesses any human has. He can't see in darkness, for example. He cannot breathe toxic gas fumes or water, etc. You don't have to be superhuman or magical to take him down, all you have to be is smart.

500+ posts
500+ posts
I agree with moving them to the support staff but not totally writing them out of the stories.

Euro, very interesting ending. I like the E/S stuff, can't wait to see how it pans out. As for the Nea stuff, i think you did good with the material you had to work with.

Now i gotta go play catch up on the Grimm/TTT and X-MAs special stuff

Have you ever looked into a mirror and wondered if behind it was another world, the same... but totally different?
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

Now i gotta go play catch up on the Grimm/TTT and X-MAs special stuff

I hope you approve of what I did in my last post in the Xmas Special, Gooz. Since the PMs have returned (YAY!) I was able to read again a PM you sent me more than a year back concerning the old PSI-Unit's headquarters and tried to incorporate some of that into my post.

500+ posts
500+ posts
TTT, very nice post. An interesting look at the lad and good stuff with the Col. I wanted to remind everyone about him, but was unsure how to, but the Axel link was perfect.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
So, I need to know who is, and is not, available for Chance's funeral.

As far as I know, the following Vanguardians will not be present (according to other's wishes) :

-Danny
-Raptor
-Ameristar
-Mick/Mxy
-Dirk Bell
-Nowhereman

Did I miss anyone?

Also, if we are going to get rid of Tobias, I can have his "condition worsening" in Quantos' lab. Then, I can have him removed to Haven for "observation". In this, I can remove Tayden as well, seeing that his "new mission" is to help find a cure for Tobias. This will write them both out of the stories, and, at the same time, set up for the 'Quest' idea that I spoke about, which can be done any time in the future.

As for Velo, and LL, I'll have them fixed in my Epilogue, and they can depart as anyone sees fit.

Thoughts?

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
That's true, Grimm, but I think that if written properly, a man that can run to the great wall of China and back in seconds, should sense the poisonus gas with his nose and run away before the gas arrives in his lungs, so to speak. My problem with the superspeedsters (with Flash, not just TC) is that they are ALWAYS miswritten. I know they need to, or basically nothing could be done with them. The only version of Flash I loved was Mike Baron's when Wally inherited the mantle of Barry, and was seriously depowered. When I started the HR universe, and had Euro presented as a superspeedster, that version of Flash was the one I wanted to take inspiration from. Not much more than three or four posts after, Tobias reintroduced TC with silver age Flash level of powers, so I changed my plans.

But I still thinks that a speedster written like Mike Baron's Flkash would be a nicely addtion ot the Vanguardians.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

Also, if we are going to get rid of Tobias, I can have his "condition worsening" in Quantos' lab. Then, I can have him removed to Haven for "observation". In this, I can remove Tayden as well, seeing that his "new mission" is to help find a cure for Tobias. This will write them both out of the stories, and, at the same time, set up for the 'Quest' idea that I spoke about, which can be done any time in the future.

Oops! I used Tayden in the Christmas Special, though it was fairly minor. Let's just say that it was just Drake Marshall talking to Axel by himself, and Tayden wasn't there at all.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Maybe we should send also Drake with Tayden, as Not wdge doesn't post from much more time than Sonhaven.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
[censored]Oh[censored] [censored]crap[censored]. [censored]There[censored] [censored]goes[censored] [censored]my[censored] [censored]post[censored] ([censored]which[censored] [censored]features[censored] [censored]both[censored] [censored]Tayden[censored] [censored]and[censored] [censored]Drake[censored]). [censored]And[censored] [censored]I[censored] [censored]can[censored]'[censored]t[censored] [censored]edit[censored] [censored]it[censored] [censored]because[censored] [censored]this[censored] [censored]fucking[censored] [censored]board[censored] [censored]is[censored] [censored]so[censored] [censored]fucking[censored] [censored]stupid[censored]. <[censored]br[censored] /> <[censored]br[censored] />[censored]And[censored] [censored]apparently[censored] [censored]I[censored] [censored]can[censored] [censored]swear[censored] [censored]like[censored] [censored]a[censored] [censored]sailor[censored] [censored]again[censored] -- [censored]woopee[censored]!

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
What the--?!? This [censored] board [censored] up my [censored] post!!!

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
This is what I actually said between all those [censored] words...

Quote:

Oh crap. There goes my post (which features both Tayden and Drake). And I can't edit it because this fucking board is so fucking stupid.

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

That's true, Grimm, but I think that if written properly, a man that can run to the great wall of China and back in seconds, should sense the poisonus gas with his nose and run away before the gas arrives in his lungs, so to speak.

No, because by the time he's noticed the gas, he's already inhaled it and breathed it in. Also, not all gases have a smell to them, so how is he going to detect them?

I wouldn't say that all speedsters are miswritten, what I would say is that their abilities are open to be interpreted to an extent, thus allowing for a little more creative freedom. Written properly or miswritten, as you say, is merely interpretation in my opinion. The only times that someone can be said to be written properly or not is if the creator of said character is the one commenting on it.

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Quote:

Oops! I used Tayden in the Christmas Special, though it was fairly minor. Let's just say that it was just Drake Marshall talking to Axel by himself, and Tayden wasn't there at all.

Keep Tayden in there because Jackie was setting up some stuff. Also I feel that Tayden would be useful in aiding Dr. Huerta as a counselor to the team of sorts. Yes, I'm also a little selfish in this regard, as I do like the character and have enjoyed coming up with stuff for him to do.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard