Next Thread
Print Thread
Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
All right, this thing isn't coming out right.

Cut and paste. Yes or No.

Choose now.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Clarify: Does Tayden count as a posterless character, even though Sonhaven DID post in the last issue?

Drax's creator posted a couple of issues ago, I believe.

TC hasn't posted for the better part of a year.

Vengeance even longer.

I don't at all think we should count each of these characters the same way. TC really ain't coming back and hasn't given any indications of that (same with Vengeance), while Sonhaven and NotWedge seem to be interested in staying around until their comps are back to normal again. They need to be considered as separate and different cases, y'know? I was the one who wrote Larry Lance and Tobias Christopher (the first time) out of the stories after their posters disappeared and never came back, but that was after they hadn't been around for a few MONTHS.

Click here or I'll bite you! The Time Trust
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
You can't treat every case the same way, can you? In several cases there are multiple characters created by the same poster, and in other cases several posters might be sharing characters, but one of those characters has fallen into disuse. I say use the plot to decide. If there's an opening to exit one character for a while, and there isn't a strong case for keeping the character active without an active poster, then exit the character. But otherwise, we might bump off very interesting characters for the sake of organization.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
500+ posts
500+ posts
Do they stay or do they go is not a "yes" or "no" answer my friend. Heh.

Stay!

Have you ever looked into a mirror and wondered if behind it was another world, the same... but totally different?
- Reflection (2002) UTOPIAN PRODUCTIONS
Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Clarify: Does Tayden count as a posterless character, even though Sonhaven DID post in the last issue?

Sonhaven's last post was Nov. 13. Seeing as we're now coming up on January, I'd say yes. I like Sonhaven, I like the Tayden character. My own preference in this instance is that he become a part of the support staff. The same could be done for Drax or TC. Vengeance is gone and no longer an issue.

I was the one who wrote Larry Lance and Tobias Christopher. . . but that was after they hadn't been around for a few MONTHS.

And by your own showing, all of the above posters have been gone for similar length of time or longer, with the possible exception of Sonhaven, who's approaching the two month mark.

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

Do they stay or do they go is not a "yes" or "no" answer my friend. Heh.

Don't be silly. Of course it is.

Stay!

See? I told you so.

notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
"I aten't dead."

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
You ate what, now?

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Fine, that's the last time I try to quote English literature in here...

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Will you be writing with us again, NotWedge? If so, then the only characters really at issue would be Tayden and TC.

Personally, I don't think Tayden's been gone enough for us to remove him from the stories quite yet. TC, on the other hand, has been given ample opportunity to rejoin and, thus, write or remove his character. When I told Avatar that Lochlan was still with the EPS, he laughed and asked me, "You mean you haven't killed him off yet?!" I think TC would be wondering something similar, especially seeing as how he was familiar with the old rules we kept over at Athanon and the DCMB concerning posters and time gone from stories. However, now that we're writing more organized (see also "better") stories, I don't think a random ignoring of the problem (like we did in TOMB with BisonSix, HourGirl, and Jonah'sWhale at different points in that team's history) will work quite as well as it did in the past. Tobias can be easily be written out of the story in a variety of ways, yet why do we keep him around? In case Grimm wants to use Amuck again? In case we need to use a joke about getting "real" Chinese food in a hurry? No offense, but I've yet to hear a decent reason for anyone wanting to keep the TC character around. I say we write him out.

But, as I'm no longer an active poster, I doubt my opinion really matters that much...

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Yay! I no longer will feel any pressure to culture myself!

And that's terrible.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Quote:

Yay! I no longer will feel any pressure to culture myself!

Pervert!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
A question: does Grissom count as a posterless character as I'm no longer around to write him? Or has Phil become his primary poster? What say you all do with him? I've made an out for him possible, it's just a matter of whether or not you all want to utilize it. Well? What say you?

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Truthfully, and this has nothing to do with you, Chewy, but I would prefer to have a new character introduced for the "Oracle"-like position with which Grissom was used in the last story. I think the support staff should be unequivocally non-team members, but that's just my personal preference. I remember Grimm talking about bringing in a "hacker"-type character for just such a role, but I have yet to see him do so.

I guess, if you don't have any intention at this time to use Grissom as part of the team, there's not much of a real-world reason to keep him as part of the stories. I like characters who are specifically meant for support staff roles but I find it unbelievable in the course of the story that an actual team member would step out of the team itself and join the support staff with no reason to do so. It's why I had Larry Lance and T.C., a year-and-a-half ago, take a "leave of absence" from the team rather than having them stay around even though their posters were long gone. I really think anything major done with characters created by posters should be left up to those posters. They can explain their leaves of absence in whichever way they want to should they ever return. Otherwise, it's not really our business to do so, and we're more likely to mischaracterize them horribly if we do (I've seen it happen several times).

The use of several of these poster-less characters (and multiple character use) in the Antarctica battle was an exception, not the rule, because the story called for an epic battle such as that. It's really an anomaly, though, not something we should be doing at all often. TC, Vengeance, and Kristogar Velo, for example, would have been done away with much earlier if it had not been for the fact that we wanted to use them in the Antarctica war.

500+ posts
500+ posts
You see, I never agreed with you just going and writing them out as you did. I think that was pretty insulting, esp sinse you just took it upon yourself to write them out. I enjoy writing Tobias (as do others) and would perfer to have him join the support staff.

If the poster wanted him to go to heaven or run away from the team, he could have easily done so. But after a long absence the poster came back and wrote his character back on the team, showing that this is where he sees his character. He could have easily come back and written him out, but he hasn't and I see no need of making that decission for him.

I've talked to Tobias from time to time on AIM and he has expressed interest in coming back, but he has been really busy. Not once did he tell me he wanted Tobias out of the stoires or that we have been "killing" his character.

Have you ever looked into a mirror and wondered if behind it was another world, the same... but totally different?
500+ posts
500+ posts
Oh, and I think the team's Website needs an update

http://docquantum.tripod.com/mblconsulting/index.html

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

You see, I never agreed with you just going and writing them out as you did. I think that was pretty insulting, esp sinse you just took it upon yourself to write them out.

Holy fucking crap! Hello -- nobody said anything like this to me at the time. You seriously think it was "insulting" to have posterless characters out of the picture rather than continue to write them without any of their creator's soul? That is what I find insulting. I know I wouldn't want my characters to continue in the stories without my input -- no matter how good everyone's writing is, it WOULDN'T really be my character that's being written. Which is the more insulting option? I'd really like to know.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I have though a little more deeper on the subject after this thread has been created.

For me, the only important thing is the one character for poster rule, that I would specify as the following:

"In the missions can partecipate just one character for each posting user"

I don't mind if Tobias or anyone stays with Vanguard, and if Laslie is an active member as Phil. Just, on the missions, i.e. in the main body of the story, each poster should bring just one character, for the reasons TTT has stated perfectly.

About Grissom, I prefer him, as an Oracle type, than a made up new character. We know who he is, how he behave, it's better than to have a new person, IMO. Plus, we can always hope to have Chewy writing something, even if sparingly.
The only touch I would like to see added, is something to explain why he has stepped back from active roles, like a temporarly incapacity of any nature (illnes, legal, or anything else).

That said, I still think that Pro's idea for a story is great, and if we could use the characters without (for now) posters (lance, TC and NotWedge) for that, I would be veary happy.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

But after a long absence the poster came back and wrote his character back on the team, showing that this is where he sees his character.

As I recall it, Tobias never returned to write his character back into the story. As I recall, Euro talked to Tobias on AIM and the poster said he'd be returning to the team. Euro then took the liberty of writing him back into the story, after which the poster returned to write about two posts, then had disappeared once again before the story was even over. If he hasn't returned since that time (which has been over a year), then I feel it is our duty to do what we've always done and write his character out, rather than messing up anything that the poster may've had in mind for his character. Heck, by keeping him around as long as we have, we've probably already done so!

Quote:

I've talked to Tobias from time to time on AIM and he has expressed interest in coming back, but he has been really busy. Not once did he tell me he wanted Tobias out of the stoires or that we have been "killing" his character.

In all fairness, have you asked him when he might be returning, or if it would be alright to write his character out until such a time as he can return to posting full-time? If not, then you're not adequately representing his feelings on the matter, but merely asking him only enough to back up your own.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Holy fucking crap! Hello -- nobody said anything like this to me at the time.

Why was I going to start another board fight when I could avoid it by not saying anything. At the time I had a plan for one of my characters that involved Tobias (sorta like how Mxy wants Larry in the wedding), but after you just took it upon your self to write him out, I have to change plans (which happens, round robin). But you made the descision for everyone.

As for people who really just get tired of us and leave, I really feel that their characters should become OWNED and OPERATED by Vanguard International. If they never write them out and if they ditch us with not even a goodbye, than I would like to say two words: FUCK THEM! Why should we fight, and work around what they might have wanted or didn't want? I say that if you leave and don't take the three seconds it takes to write your character out, than we can change or do what ever we want to them. Same goes for my guys, if I fully just get up and leave, have fun using my characters as you see fit.

You mention how you wouldn't want your characters written. YOU CARE ENOUGH to write them out. They didn't care enough to write them out, nor do they care at all to come by and say hi. If we are really handling their characters so bad, I am pretty sure that they aren't losing any sleep over it. Hell, I'm pretty sure that they don't give two rats asses.

Personally, if I left and you guys continued using my characters it would not only put a smile on my face but I'd keep reaing just because how curious I am of what you guys would do with them. Most of the time, you guys write them better than I do anyhow. The only time in MBL history that I wrote my characters out for an extended time was when I didn't have computer access for 3 months (Gooz got sucked into another universe a la Mutant X Havoc, fun stuff). An example is more recently, I knew that I wouldn't have the time to post, but I left Priest on the team (i think i posted three times in three months?). I was not only impressed but people used him very well and fleshed him out even more. Another example is Chewy, he is more or less gone but he not only trusts us with his characters, he's excited to see where we take them and how we write them (don't worry buddy, I have some huge EPS stuff coming I did not forget about them).

TTT, if you left and let your characters how would it not be your character that is being written? Your character is not you. You created and fleshed him out with all of us, posting extenssively in talk threats, chat and Secret Files to make sure everyone understands and uses them properly. Its a little dishearting to me that you don't trust anyone to write your characters.

And as for active and supporting players. TTT, how many "support staff" members have you created? On that same note, how many should we be afraid to fuck up? Because if we have to be afraid to fuck them up than they are not really support staff but YOUR characters and than if you leave we have to worry about writing out a half a dozen characters that are tied to the team in large ways. Kit Piper, Doctor Quantos, Alex, your other new active Vanguard members... etc.

In conclusion (of this post that is getting rather large) if people up and leave us, fuck them. They can write their characters out if they want them out. But if they never come back, I firmed think we should take full control. I would want the same if I were to leave. And a question for you TTT is where do we draw the line between support staff and "active" team members? Would you be very mad if I wrote Doctor Quantos messing up and losing his vision, or having an arm chopped off?

Oh, Chewy, it was a very short post by Tobias that brough him back into the story. About two sentences that stated he had found his son and that it was time for him to rejoin the team.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
[censored]I[censored] [censored]just[censored] [censored]noticed[censored] [censored]that[censored] [censored]Notwedge[censored] [censored]posted[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]Special[censored], [censored]this[censored] [censored]leaves[censored] [censored]no[censored] [censored]doubt[censored] [censored]that[censored] [censored]Drake[censored] [censored]is[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]full[censored] [censored]membership[censored]. [censored]Considering[censored] [censored]that[censored] [censored]Sonhaven[censored] [censored]has[censored] [censored]posted[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]issue[censored] [censored]14[censored], [censored]that[censored] [censored]makes[censored] [censored]just[censored] [censored]TC[censored] [censored]a[censored] [censored]character[censored] [censored]without[censored] [censored]poster[censored]. <[censored]br[censored] /> <[censored]br[censored] />[censored]Can[censored] [censored]we[censored] [censored]send[censored] [censored]him[censored] [censored]to[censored] [censored]Haven[censored]? [censored]I[censored] [censored]really[censored] [censored]want[censored] [censored]to[censored] [censored]do[censored] [censored]Pro[censored]'[censored]s[censored] [censored]story[censored]. <[censored]img[censored] [censored]src[censored]="/[censored]ubbthreads[censored]/[censored]images[censored]/[censored]graemlins[censored]/[censored]smilewoo[censored].[censored]gif[censored]" [censored]alt[censored]="" />

Last edited by The Eurostar; 2003-12-28 4:33 PM.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts

The Eurostar #244316 2003-12-28 4:36 PM
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
This board is becoming like contemporary Italy.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I noticed that Notwedge posted in the Special, this leaves no doubt that Drake is in full membership. Considering that Sonhaven has posted in issue 14, that makes just TC a character without poster.

Can we send him to Haven? I really want to do Pro's story.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I gotta say that although I dont actively post here much anymore I do not want others using my character so I agree with TTT on most of his views,I also wanna say its more than just being bored that causes people to not post here anymore,its a matter of lives being a bit more important than posting on a board (its not just this forum,I post less on the net as a whole).
Also I gotta say that writing fan fiction in this method is gonna always end up with people stepping on eachothers toes & if you have something planned out it will quite often get screwed when you have more than one person writing a story.
I dont understand why TTT should have discussed his decision in advance as nobody else seems to do it (I know Speedy ruined the Penultimate MBL story for me when he made a decision that affected every characters storyline,but thats whta happens with fanfic).

Some people need to lighten up & stop taking this board so fucking seriously!

500+ posts
500+ posts
This board really don't like the editing of posts, heh

Grimm Offline OP
living in 1962
15000+ posts
OP Offline
living in 1962
15000+ posts
wow. bitchfest from hell.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Shut the fuck up Donnie!

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Who's in the black pajamas,Walter?

Shut the fuck up Donny
25+ posts
Shut the fuck up Donny
25+ posts
Shut the fuck up Donnie!
You have no frame of reference!

This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass!
100+ posts
100+ posts
What's your point, Walter?

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing...</i]
500+ posts
500+ posts
What the heck is going on?

Shut the fuck up Donny
25+ posts
Shut the fuck up Donny
25+ posts
Shut the fuck up Donnie!

This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass!
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

What the heck is going on?

"We're bein' invaded!"

runs outta the shot

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

I gotta say that although I dont actively post here much anymore I do not want others using my character so I agree with TTT on most of his views,I also wanna say its more than just being bored that causes people to not post here anymore,its a matter of lives being a bit more important than posting on a board (its not just this forum,I post less on the net as a whole).
Also I gotta say that writing fan fiction in this method is gonna always end up with people stepping on eachothers toes & if you have something planned out it will quite often get screwed when you have more than one person writing a story.
I dont understand why TTT should have discussed his decision in advance as nobody else seems to do it (I know Speedy ruined the Penultimate MBL story for me when he made a decision that affected every characters storyline,but thats whta happens with fanfic).

Some people need to lighten up & stop taking this board so fucking seriously!

Whoa, those are coherent sentences!

Alright, which one of you stole Nowhereman's computer?

...at any rate, I agree with that last thing completely. I'd agree with the other stuff, but...I didn't read it.

And that's terrible.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Fuck off you little cunt,I dont need someone like you agreeing with me......it'll ruin me image!

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
As I've said many times before, I have no problems keeping characters around. It's nice to have a well to draw upon. As long as we make sure that they don't weigh us down with taking all of them along on every mission, it will be A-Ok! Look at what we've done with some of these characters like Vengeance and Blackwulf. We've been able to use them in the stories and have fun. Hell, I think everyone in this group has written the Velo character more times than the poster who originated him. If the poster takes the time to write his or her character out, then we should respect that and not touch them. But if they just up and left, I agree with Gooz that they are left to us to do with as we damn well please.

TC is no longer an issue. Velo will be handled by Velo. NotWedge is back to take over Drax/Drake. Sunhaven is still iffy on his internet availabilty; but talking to him personally, I know that he has enjoyed what's been done with his character as well as flattered by the fact that he's still around. He's expressed no problems with us having him hang around. It took no time for Nuriko to leave her character, which, honestly, was hijacked very quickly. I see little to no problems with our excess characters as long as we use them properly.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
So let me get this straight,more people have "handled" Velo,than Velo has "handled" himself?
He really is a dirty little slut!

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I take after my hero, ROY BATTY!

And that's terrible.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Thats weird,ROY usually takes off after young boys!

Link Copied to Clipboard