10000+ posts
The Contenders

Incredible Hulk

(Bio taken from Marvel Comics)

Robert Bruce Banner
Group Affiliation: None
Base of Operations: Mobile
Height: {as Banner) 5'9"; (as Hulk} 7'0"
Weight: (as Banner) 128 lbs.; (as Hulk) 1,040 lbs.
Eyes: {as Banner) Brown; (as Hulk) Green
Hair: (as Banner) Brown; (as Hulk) Green
Powers: The Hulk possesses superhuman strength that increases as he becomes enraged, can leap vast distances and has demonstrated a powerful healing factor.
Origin: Trapped at ground zero with a bomb of his own creation, Dr. Bruce Banner was transformed into a rampaging creature that was the pure manifestation of all of his internal rage and aggression. Now, whenever Banner feels threatened or is harmed, he transforms into... the Hulk!
First Appearance: INCREDIBLE HULK (Vol. 1) #1 (1962)

Mr. Hyde

Group Affiliation: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Base of Operations: London, England
Height: (as Jekyll) 5'8"; (as Hyde) 7'0"
Weight: (as Jekyll) 120 lbs.; (as Hyde) 750 lbs.
Eyes: (as Jekyll) Brown; (as Hyde) Yellow
Hair: (as Jekyll) Brown; (as Hyde) Bald
Powers: Due to his large size, Edward Hyde is phenomenonally strong and his skin is incredibly dense, able to withstand most cuts and bulletshots.
Origin: Dr. Henry Jekyll took an elixir that transformed him, a good, upstanding man, into a living personification of his sins, named Edward Hyde. As time progressed, Hyde grew stronger and began to overpower Jekyll, who could now barely control his transformation into Hyde.
First Appearance: LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN (Vol. 1) #1 (1999)

The Scenario

*NOTE FOR CONTINUITY FREAKS* - This battle could very well take place between volumes one and two of Alan Moore's LoEG, for as to take Hyde's fate at the end of Volume 2 into consideration...

Through means I'd rather not discuss at present, Dr. Bruce Banner has awoken in London, circa 1898. Shaking his head as he stood, he shook his head, looking down at himself, brushing dust off of his apparel. He looked up to see himself standing outside of a large museum.

"Hurm..." he muttered to himself, looking around, taking in his surroundings. "I hate time-travel..."

Walking into the museum, he gazed wide-eyed at the many exhibits: The statue of Ayesha. The Yahoo skull. The colony of Lilliputians. The fossilized ichthyosaur.

"Amazing..." he muttered, wandering through the massive museum. Backing up slightly, he bumped into a slight little man passing behind him, obviously in a hurry. The little man fell, spilling papers across the floor in front of him.

"Excuse me!" Banner cried, helping the little man up, recognizing him almost immediately. "Why... you're Dr. Henry Jekyll!"

"W-why, yes..." Dr. Jekyll said, nodding slightly. "And you?"

"My name is Dr. Bruce Banner," he said, extending a hand, which Jekyll shook violently. "I must say, it's an honor to meet you, sir! I wrote my doctoral thesis on your work!"

"M-my work?" Jekyll asked, incredulous.

"Of course!" Banner began, before being violently interrupted by a slight tremor on the ground.

Both men took a nasty spill onto the ground. Jekyll, being a bit smaller than Banner, rolled away during the tremor, sitting in fetal position as the tremor continued.

"Dr. Jekyll!" Banner cried. "Are you all right?"

In the time it took to blink, Banner noticed that the frail frame of Jekyll had vanished, to be replaced by a large brown monster. "Edward's gone!" it roared. "The f---ing pansy couldn't have handled the coming storm!"

"Bring him back, you brute!" Banner yelled, rising to his feet, clenching his fists.

"Or what?" Hyde bellowed, narrowing his eyes before erupting into uproarious laughter.

"You're making me angry..." Banner whispered. "You won't like me when I get angry..."

Suddenly, the sound of tearing cloth once again filled the room as, where Banner once stood, a roaring green goliath stood in his place.

"A challenge, eh?" Hyde said. "I guess the blighter really did study Henry's work..."

The Results

As always, you decide!

[pollstart]
[polltitle=Does the modern migrant mutilate or will the Victorian varmint vanquish?]
[polloption=The Incredible Hulk][polloption=Mr. Hyde]
[pollstop]

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Didn't the Hulk actually fight Hyde in the pages of INCREDIBLE HULK? Of course, that was Marvel Comics' Hyde, I believe, which was inspired by Robert Louis Stevenson's character (just as the Hulk himself was), so it wasn't quite the same.

Click here or I'll bite you! The Time Trust
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Quote:

Didn't the Hulk actually fight Hyde in the pages of INCREDIBLE HULK? Of course, that was Marvel Comics' Hyde, I believe, which was inspired by Robert Louis Stevenson's character (just as the Hulk himself was), so it wasn't quite the same.

Dunno. Didn't read it. This is the Alan Moore version anyway, so the Marvel comics version is a moot point here...

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
HULK SMASH!!!

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Not a contest at all. The Hulk wins hands down, especially when you consider the events of LoEG Vol 2

URG Offline
URG am real man!
7500+ posts
URG am real man!
7500+ posts
Hulk would smash

Cave Babes
http://www.robkamphausen.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/824582#Post824582
Cave Drawings
http://www.robkamphausen.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/860036

Some days urg makes me proud to be his friend. Then there are the days that he steals my beer and fucks my woman. Somedays he gets that backwards.-Lothar

"Those were good days. Sitting around the campfires, eating dinosaur meat, and clubbing our wimmens in the head. I dream of those days sometimes. When Urg would make speeches and lead us to victory over the neighboring tribes. Good days, man. Good days." -Grimm
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Hyde isn't as strong: despite Hyde being a fucking ruthless amoralistic bastard, Hulk would indeed smash.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
Indeed. This is no contest at all.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Unless Hyde bites Greenskins nuts off. Then it's a whole 'nother story....

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
300+ posts
300+ posts
That would be erotic

I am The Gay, you don't wanna play me. Muscle control, no way you can shake me. I am heavy debt, there's no way you can pay me. Anal pain, and I know you can't take me.
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
What about Hyde's intelligence and the fact that Hulk is absolutely mindless? What about Hyde's familiarity with his surroundings? What about the fact the he single-handedly wiped out a bunch of Martian tripods in LoEG v. 2?

Would these things play a factor at all?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Please. Those Martian tripods are the types of things Hulk smashes without breaking (as Hyde did) a sweat.

This is simply one-sided fight. Hulk would take Hyde out in minutes.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I really like Hyde - I think he's one of the best characters I've read in years - so It pains me to say this: I think in a straight fight the Hulk would pulverize Hyde.

Assuming that the battle was fought along the lines of Hyde taking a shot at The Hulk and then ducking back before the big green brute could retaliate, then the result might be different, but for one thing - Hyde wants to die. The man can't live with himself.

I think the only situation in which Hyde might take down The Hulk was if Mina Murry was at risk.

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Quote:

I think the only situation in which Hyde might take down The Hulk was if Mina Murry was at risk.

For all we know, the rest of the League is in the museum. She very well could be.

Plus, I still think Hyde's intelligence has to count for something...

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
Quote:

I still think Hyde's intelligence has to count for something...

Yeah, the better to ponder the beating he's getting.

Link Copied to Clipboard