Next Thread
Print Thread
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
just about once a week, now, i'll see some big news article on how some grouping from berkeley or MIT or honda or something has developed some form of new robotics.

there's a major quest going on for a bipedal walking robot, for 'smart' robots that can defuse bombs, or for exoskeleton-like framed robotics, that will assist firefighters.

thoughts?

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
here is a link to a story from a year ago about honda's walking robot development.

and just this morning, there was an article here about a kingdom-come-batman-like robotic exoskeleton, that could potentially help wheelchair-bound people walk, or firefighters carry several people at once, or even be given to the military march for longer distances, without getting (as) tired.

giant picture
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
also this morning:

British Robot Unveiled to Help Disabled

LONDON (Reuters) - A robot which looks and moves like a caterpillar to help the disabled in the home was unveiled in Britain on Thursday.

The Flexibot, which can clamp itself to specific points on the wall and ceiling, could be used to aid the elderly and disabled with domestic tasks such as shaving, cooking and cleaning.

It has three pivots allowing it to move between points and a three fingered hand to grip objects.

"We needed to develop technology to go a step further and get a flexible robot," said inventor Professor Mike Topping from Staffordshire University in central England, where the robot had its world launch.

"The Flexibot can go from socket to socket with the sockets being equally spaced. It can even travel along walls and latch onto a wheelchair," he told Reuters. "People in wheelchairs could take it to the supermarket and it could pick up cans of beans."

Scientists from Staffordshire University's Center for Rehabilitation Robotics developed the robot with help from colleagues in universities and engineering firms across Europe.

The project, which began in 2001, was subsidized by a $2.8 million grant from the European Commission (news - web sites) as part of its goal to make society less discriminating and accessible for everyone.

Topping, who has been involved in building robots for the disabled for 20 years, hopes the next stage in development will be a fully robotic kitchen with two Flexibots working in tandem under the control of a disabled person.

giant picture
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Terminators are going to kill us.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I'm even more interested in the development of artificial life/artificial intelligence systems. Even cinematic applications have developed some pretty impressive facsimilies of human problem-solving and intuition, especially the MASSIVE(tm) technology used to generate and animate huge crowds of digital 'extras' in the LOTR battle scenes. Once we've begun creating problem-solving machines, then we're onto something.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I would want a robot friend like the Robot from
Lost in space, ( the TV show. ) or even like Rex,
from Lester del Rey's book, Runaway Robot.

That would be ultra cool!!!!

I feel such robots could exist oneday,
not too many years from now. All we need is a few
breakthroughs in cybernetics.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Dammit -- where's Bibbo when we need him?

His minor in college was Robotics, and he's built the death machines -- he can tell us their weaknesses!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Ya know, I think that the B-9 Robot from Lost in Space was the first representation of a helper robot.

I mean, he babysat a child whom parents would neglect, he would yell "WARNING, WARNING, DANGER! DANGER!", And he kept the mincing, boy-hungry pedophile from defiling the child...

We all need a B-9 Robot.

First National Bastard -Enormous, Sexually Voracious Lecher... who wants to claim your immortal soul!!!. Every time you masturbate, God Kills a kitten! Please... think of the Kittens. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!
ZOD Offline
2000+ posts
2000+ posts

Behold! The sabered Head of Uschi shall give death to Zod's enemies! CLICK and know DEATH! KNEEL before ZOD!!!
Evil twin
1500+ posts
Evil twin
1500+ posts
Quote:

The Indestructible Man said:
Dammit -- where's Bibbo when we need him?

His minor in college was Robotics, and he's built the death machines -- he can tell us their weaknesses!

You fool, they have no weaknesses!

Sometimes I wish I didn't know now the things I didn't know then.
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Do they like the nekid human ladies like chimps do?

1000+ posts
1000+ posts

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Hey that one doesn't have any legs! We can take it on!

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
It's Robo - Tron - Fun! Yay!

life." - Tuvok.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Tron?

Hated it!

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Ok, how about Rock - Em Sock Em Robots????

life." - Tuvok.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
BeardGuy's got a robot avatar! He's a narc!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Dear Mister Indestructable Man:

My avatar is Prince Planet. He's a boy from the planet
Radion. I watched his show back in 1966, when it was first broadcast here in the USA.

He's an alien BOY, not a robot.

Here's a Link to a site about him:

web page

I have about 38 of the 52 episodes on VHS. They're STILL pretty cool, after almost 40 years!

life." - Tuvok.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
(just a joke, BG -- got no qualms with the wonders of old school animation)

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Is ok, I knew it was a joke but I thought you might not
know who Prince Planet was.

life." - Tuvok.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Indestructable Man -

That robot is AWESOME!!!
I gotta get me one of those!!!!

But only if I can program him
to say, " Danger, Danger Will Robinson! "

life." - Tuvok.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I'm going to program it to say "Whatchutalkin' bout Willis?"

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts

life." - Tuvok.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Beardguy57 said:
I would want a robot friend like the Robot from
Lost in space, ( the TV show. ) or even like Rex,
from Lester del Rey's book, Runaway Robot.

That would be ultra cool!!!!

I feel such robots could exist oneday,
not too many years from now. All we need is a few
breakthroughs in cybernetics.

I love that robot too, Beardguy.

He has an enduringly cool and futuristic look, and a lot of personality.

As I'm sure you're aware, he was first introduced in the movie Forbidden Planet(1956)

I also like this publicity illustration from the movie:

http://www.100megsfree3.com/glaw/robby/robby9.jpg

Hot women, short skirts, hot legs, and robots... what a combo !

\:love\:

~

I also love the robot from This Island Earth(1955) which beyond the robot is a terrific story, and a science fiction classic .

-------

**UPDATE** Ooops !

I meant to say the robot in Day the Earth Stood Still(1951):

Which is a great movie, with a mysterious and powerful alien robot (and referred to, with clear story parallels, in Alan Moore's WATCHMEN ).

This Island Earth is a great movie too, with lots of cool aliens and spaceships, but no robots. My mistake.

http://www.scifimovies.com/movies/mov0002.shtml

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Oh man -- the robot accidently killed ANOTHER hooker!

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
just about once a week, now, i'll see some big news article on how some group from berkeley or MIT or honda or something has developed some form of new robotics.

there's a major quest going on for a bipedal walking robot, for 'smart' robots that can defuse bombs, or for exoskeleton-like framed robotics, that will assist firefighters.

thoughts?

To bring things a bit more toward the topic theme Rob originally posted:

When I think of robots developing in the present era (as opposed to cool-looking fantasy robots in movies) I think of Isaac Asimov's original
I, Robot short story collection, that I first read in 1983.

These were stories Asimov wrote over a 10-year period beginning about 1940, a group of short stories, some loosely connected, some not, projecting a future beginning in the 1990's, where robots gradually become an increasingly greater part of human culture.
And are early-on established with a set of basic programs, allowing robot self-preservation, with their only higher commands (beyond self-preservation) being protection of humans from danger.

And from what I've seen, robotics development is pretty close to the timeframe Asimov projected.

For about 10 years, we've had the technology to create robots that can do a lot of basic functions, if people just had the demand to warrant manufacturing a supply of them.

There are robots that you could activate with a phone call to your home, that would have the robot take the frozen chicken out of your freezer, prepare dinner, and have it on the table ready to eat when you get home.

There are robots that can be programmed to vaccuum the carpets of your home, and other menial chores.

They're working on independent pilot systems for cars, so at some point we won't have to drive, robots will do that for us.

And since the 1991 Gulf War, there's been smart-bomb technology that, with remote-control guidance technology, could turn any private airplane into a guided missile.

And with computer-guidance for cars, for the first time the technology exists to do air-traffic control for air-cars like you see in The Jetsons and Blade Runner.
Prototype air-cars have existed for years, and cost about $250,000. And if there were a popular demand for air-cars, they could go into mass production, which would bring unit retail price down to between $40,000 to $60,000 --not much more than you'd pay for a conventional car. If there were just a demand for them.

And since the Afghan War in 2001, we've had robot-controlled airplanes that can allow troops in the field to see what's ahead of them ( a position formerly a risky army special forces job, called a Forward Observer, done at high risk by field soldiers, infiltrating enemy lines to give advance reconnaissance).
The new robot Forward Observer allows much better advance reconnaissance, at no human risk, and at a relatively low cost per unit (about 70,000 dollars each).

It kind of reminds me of the origins of radio communication. Morse code existed from the late 1800's, because long and short impulses were initially the only sound that technology allowed to be transmitted, and it was used for telegraph and ship-to-ship communication.
And voice communication was later developed shortly before World War I. And it continued to be used that way (one-to-one communication) until 1925.

At which point someone said: You know we could manufacture millions of receivers, and broadcast messages and programs to millions of people at once !
And at that exact moment, broadcast radio began.
But the technology existed for close to 20 years before then. It just took time for someone to realize how it could be utilized.

Likewise, with robots, hydrogen powered cars, electric cars and so forth.

But it's both:
1) learning how to utilize the technology,
and
2) having people believe in technology enough to utilize it on a mass scale, to economically support the development of that technology.

Another example is BETAMAX and VHS video technology. Betamax was actually the superior technology to VHS.

But Sony (who owned the BETAMAX technology) didn't have the rights to all the Hollywood movies, the owners of VHS had that, the ability to make a vast percentage of movies available on VHS, and this caused the popular demand to be for VHS, and not BETA. Despite that BETA was the superior technology.

Another example is highways -vs- train rail system. Early on in the U.S., a Federal decision was made to build a massive highway system.
Whereas Europe invested much more in rail systems, and as a result, Europe has a much higher ratio of people who still use rail for travel, because that was the infrastructure they chose to invest in. The rail system in the U.S., however, is slowly dying, and requires subsidies to keep it alive, because far less people use it.

And needless to say, with each new technology, there's a corporate interest who dominates the existing technology, whether it's the oil industry, or the nuclear power industry (who do everything they can to leverage out alternative feul technologies, that would replace them and lose them money), or pharmaceutical companies and the American Medical Association (who do everything they can to leverage out developing homeopathic/nutritional remedies, chiropractors, massage therapists and other non-antibiotic and non-surgical health care options, because that would put them out of business), or other dominant industries.

Corrective eye surgery is quickly making glasses and contact lenses obsolete.
E-mail and internet communication has threatened postal service and telephone long-distance carriers.
E-bay has threatened the existence of retail stores.

For every new technology, there is a winner and a loser.

Which in many ways is good, because then the new technology has to be developed to a credible level, to the point that the public has a confidence in it, before it begins to replace the system that already works.
But the dominant industry can also often unfairly shut out new technologies, and block investment in developing new technologies, to obstructively preserve their monopoly.

So, I guess with robots, while there is a public interest, and the technology has arguably existed for at least 10 to 20 years to some level, the level of public confidence in widespread use of robots hasn't quite developed yet.

[** NOTE** I corrected some glaring errors, and added some nice images to my previous post, at the bottom of page 1 ]

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Danger! Danger! The robots are all pissed off because
you are all ignoring them......

life." - Tuvok.

fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts

Racks be to MisterJLA
3000+ posts
3000+ posts

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Engineer Builds Robot That Walks on Water
By MIKE CRISSEY, Associated Press Writer

PITTSBURGH - It could be called a mechanical miracle — a robot that walks on water. With inspiration from nature and some help from research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a research team led by Carnegie Mellon engineering assistant professor Metin Sitti has built a tiny robot that can walk on water, much like insects known as water skimmers, water skaters, pond skaters or Jesus bugs.

Although it's only a basic prototype, Sitti and other researchers imagine that his water-skimming robot could be used on any still water. With a chemical sensor, it could monitor water supplies for contamination or other toxins; with a camera it could be a spy or an explorer; with a net or a boom, it could skim contaminants off the top of water.

Sitti, who runs Carnegie Mellon's NanoRobotics Lab, said he has long been fascinated by water striders and what it would take to build one.

"I think it is the final challenge of microrobotics if you can make this thing," Sitti said. "It needs to be so light and so compact. Look how this animal stays on the water in that kind of miniature, very lightweight body."

For their size — a half-inch on average — the insects can move. Water striders skim across the water as fast as a meter per second; the human equivalent of going 400 miles per hour. They're also very mobile.

For now, Sitti's robot is little more than a half-inch boxy-body made from carbon fibers and eight, 2-inch steel-wire legs coated with a water-repelling plastic (technically making it a water spider).

It also doesn't have a brain, any sensors or a battery. Its "muscles" are three flat-plate piezoelectric actuators — special pieces of metal that change shape when electricity is run through them. The actuators are powered by wires and controlled by three circuits connected to a power supply.

But it can stand on water — it doesn't float — and can skim backward and forward, propelling itself with two legs that act like oars. Although simple now, Sitti said he could build a more complex water-skimming robot within six months without too much trouble.

"These insects are really dumb," Sitti said. "Think about the economy of power, if you are so small why should you need a brain like us to plan everything. These insects have such simple controls."

Sitti's prototype is especially impressive considering researchers didn't really know how water skimmers actually walked on water until last year.

The bugs support themselves on water because they're not heavy enough to break the surface tension of water, like a needle that floats.

It was long thought the insects used their legs to create waves to push themselves forward, like a wave hitting a boat.

In 1993, Mark Denny, a Stanford University marine biologist, pointed out a problem: If water skimmers moved by creating waves, newly hatched water skimmers would be immobile because they weren't strong enough to create waves. In reality, newly hatched water skimmers move just as well as full grown adults.

Last year, Massachusetts Institute of Technology mathematician John M.W. Bush and two graduate students solved the riddle by placing dyes and particles in water and using a high-speed video camera.

Bush and the graduate students discovered that water striders move by pushing down on the surface of water enough to create valleys but not enough to break the surface. The water then bounces back like a trampoline to push the insect forward.

Beside the physics and mechanics of walking on water, Sitti's prototype also shows how far robotics has come with the help of lighter and stronger materials.

"If you had asked us 10 years ago to build a water bug, I don't think we would have done it," said Mark Cutkosky, an engineering professor at Stanford University who has been building roach-like robots.

Sitti's robot weighs about a gram, or half of a dime. And so far, it's cheap. Sitti estimates his spartan prototype cost about $10 in materials to make.

Carnegie Mellon University's NanoRobotics Lab

giant picture
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
A robot that walks on water, eh? What's next, a robot that can change water into wine?

life." - Tuvok.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Today's New York Times reports that "Researchers are programming robots to learn in humanlike ways and show humanlike traits."

• At the Humanoid Robotics Group at M.I.T., a robot’s “humanoid” qualities can include fallibility and whininess as much as physical traits like head, arms and torso. This is where our cultural images of robots as superhumans run headlong into the reality of motors, actuators and cold computer code. Today’s humanoids are not the sophisticated machines we might have expected by now, which just shows how complicated a task it was that scientists embarked on 15 years ago when they began working on a robot that could think. They are not the docile companions of our collective dreams, robots designed to flawlessly serve our dinners, fold our clothes and do the dull or dangerous jobs that we don’t want to do. Nor are they the villains of our collective nightmares, poised for robotic rebellion against humans whose machine creations have become smarter than the humans themselves. They are, instead, hunks of metal tethered to computers, which need their human designers to get them going and to smooth the hiccups along the way.

But these early incarnations of sociable robots are also much more than meets the eye. Bill Gates has said that personal robotics today is at the stage that personal computers were in the mid-1970s. Thirty years ago, few people guessed that the bulky, slow computers being used by a handful of businesses would by 2007 insinuate themselves into our lives via applications like Google, e-mail, YouTube, Skype and MySpace. In much the same way, the robots being built today, still unwieldy and temperamental even in the most capable hands, probably offer only hints of the way we might be using robots in another 30 years.

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"

Link Copied to Clipboard