PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040311181909990003

Quote:

Woman Charged With Murder of Unborn Child
By ALEXANDRIA SAGE, AP

SALT LAKE CITY (March 12) - A woman accused of murder because she allegedly avoided a Caesarean section that could have saved her unborn twin has denied the charge, saying she already had scars from earlier C-sections.

Her attorney, meanwhile, said she had a long history of mental illness.

Melissa Ann Rowland, 28, was charged Thursday of showing ''depraved indifference to human life,'' ignoring medical advice to deliver her twins by C-section because she didn't want to be scarred. One nurse told police Rowland said she would rather ''lose one of the babies than be cut like that.''

Rowland told Salt Lake City radio station KSL from jail that ''I already have a pretty nasty scar, it doesn't matter at all now,'' The Salt Lake Tribune reported.

Her attorney, Michael Sikora, called a C-section major surgery and told the Tribune ''it would come as no surprise that a woman with major mental illness would fear it.''

The documents allege that Rowland was warned numerous times between Christmas and Jan. 9 that her unborn twins would likely die if she did not get immediate medical treatment, the documents allege. When she delivered them on Jan. 13, the twin girl survived but the boy died.

Shortly afterward, Rowland was jailed on a child endangerment charge involving the surviving twin, who has been adopted by a family Rowland knows.

Rowland told the radio station she has two other children who live with their grandparents in Virginia. Sikora said Rowland moved to Utah with a boyfriend and is either divorced or estranged from her husband. She lives in the Salt Lake City suburb of West Jordan.

A spokesman for the district attorney, Kent Morgan, had said earlier that Rowland was married.

The case could affect abortion rights and open the door to the prosecution of mothers who smoke or don't follow their obstetrician's diet, said Marguerite Driessen, a law professor at Brigham Young University.

''It's very troubling to have somebody come in and say we're going to charge this mother for murder because we don't like the choices she made,'' she said.

The woman sought medical advice in December because she hadn't felt the fetuses move, documents said.

Regina Davis, a nurse at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake, told police that during a visit there, Rowland was recommended two hospitals to go to for immediate care. Rowland allegedly said she would rather have both twins die before she went to either of the suggested hospitals.

On Jan. 2, a doctor at LDS Hospital saw Rowland and recommended she immediately undergo a C-section based on the results of an ultrasound and the fetus' slowing heart rates. Rowland left after signing a document stating that she understood that leaving might result in death or brain injury to one or both twins, the doctor told police.

The same day, a nurse at Salt Lake Regional Hospital saw Rowland, who allegedly told her she had left LDS Hospital because the doctor wanted to cut her ''from breast bone to pubic bone,'' a procedure that would ''ruin her life.''

LDS Hospital can't comment on the case because of medical privacy issues and the pending court case, said spokesman Robert Pexton.

The doctor who performed an autopsy found that the fetus died two days before delivery and would have survived if Rowland had undergone a C-section when urged to do so. It was not immediately clear how far along Rowland was in her pregnancy.

She was charged in Salt Lake County with one first-degree felony count of criminal homicide. Rowland was being held on $250,000 bail at the Salt Lake County jail, and was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.

If convicted, she could be sentenced to between five years and life in prison.

''We are unable to find any reason other than the cosmetic motivations by the mother'' for her decision, Morgan said.

Caesarean sections usually involve delivery through a surgical incision in the abdomen and front wall of the uterus. Dr. Christian Morgan, a family practice doctor who regularly performs C-sections at the University of Utah Health Sciences Center, said he had never seen vertical skin incisions performed at LDS Hospital for a first-time C-section.

''Even when you need to get a baby out in minutes, it can still be done in the bikini incision,'' Christian Morgan said.

03-12-04 1155EST

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Any thoughts?

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Man...

Under these particular circumstances, I definitely believe that what she did was wrong. If a c-section was the only way to save her kid, and she wouldn't do it just because she thought it would ruin her figure, she definitely made the wrong choice, mental illness or no. And if what the nurse said is true, that she actually did say she'd rather lose a baby than have a c-section, that makes it even worse.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
well

the fact of turning down a c-section cause of a scar is a statement with no logical backing. a self centered move that started with the selfish act of having children.

and the idea of a murder change is completely doltish and hammerheaded. the thing was never living. it never walked, spoke, learned, loved. The woman had the complete righ to make that decision.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
and the idea of a murder change is completely doltish and hammerheaded. the thing was never living. it never walked, spoke, learned, loved. The woman had the complete righ to make that decision.

Exactly.

I don't care if the bitch has been carrying the goddamned thing for 10 months, until it's been spit out, it ain't a person. And if the child couldn't survive to be born, oh well.

We should not mourn every ejaculation, every mass of cells. And until it was born, that's what it was... a mass of cells. However, it wasn't strong enough to become anything more than a mass of cells, so it's a moot fucking point. Do we arrest people for destroying cancer? Cancer is a mass of cells that keeps growing, but no one mourns it's death. Cancer is seen as a parasite, a disease... and isn't that just what an unborn fetus is? it cannot survive without it's host body... cannot survive on it's own. Sounds like a fucking parasite to me.

And if it had been born, it would've still become a parasite.

So good fucking riddance.

First National Bastard -Enormous, Sexually Voracious Lecher... who wants to claim your immortal soul!!!. Every time you masturbate, God Kills a kitten! Please... think of the Kittens. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Not EXACTLY my reasoning, but I agree with the conclusion.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I usually take things to their logically insane conclusion.

First National Bastard -Enormous, Sexually Voracious Lecher... who wants to claim your immortal soul!!!. Every time you masturbate, God Kills a kitten! Please... think of the Kittens. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Cancer cells don't emit brainwaves, though. A 10 month old unborn baby does.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Cancer cells don't emit brainwaves, though. A 10 month old unborn baby does.

Well if it's so goddamned smart, it would figure out a way to not get aborted!

fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
well

the fact of turning down a c-section cause of a scar is a statement with no logical backing. a self centered move that started with the selfish act of having children.

I second that.

However, there are some problems with that.

I don't know if any of you have seen the show "The Practice"

I know, I know, what the fuck does a show about attornies have to do with this?

well, there was this one episode where a woman was charged with the murder of her husband. She said it was self defense, cuz she was protecting her unborn baby from a violent man.
the prosecuter argued that she couldn't protect something that wasn't really a human at the time of the murder.

But had the man hit her in the stomach he would have been charged with murder.

conclusion: Even though it still isn't a human, it's still murder.

which of course is absolutely bullshit

Racks be to MisterJLA
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I say if its heart beats and its brain works, it's alive.

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
escuse me

just because its heart beats and its brain is active doesn't mean it can pass a bill or ride a bike.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts

100+ posts
100+ posts
With any luck the case against the woman won't hold up in court. This is going to set a very unpleasant precedent if she does get sent down for it.
There are a lot of Mormons in Salt Lake City, are there not? Might this be a fundamentalist cretin powertrip to some extent?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
escuse me

just because its heart beats and its brain is active doesn't mean it can pass a bill or ride a bike.

....neither can a 2 year old. Are they not alive, either?

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
they have skills unlike a sack of cells

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:

exactly

The Leg Breakerer: Kung Fu Masta!!!
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:

Because they've been given the time to learn them.

You're a "sack of cells" too. Merely a well-learned one.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:

I don't know, if we were to use arguments as broad as you two are using, we might as well be arguing if NOT ejaculating your seed into a vagina would be considered murder.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
At that far along in development, it is, without a doubt, life. The baby was a learning, thinking being. A "Woman's Right to Choose" is a bullshit arguement, especially here. She chose to have sex, an act that every 28 year-old knows can lead to pregnancy. And if it comes down to her being so self serving as to not want a scar to save the life/lives of her own children, then that is depraved indifference to life. It's the same as not trying to save someone from drowning because you don't want to get your feet wet.

As far as this "it's only a mass of cell" crap that some of you are spilling out, as Animalman said, so were you at one point. When everyone of you came into this world, all you could do was eat, cry, piss, and shit. Maybe you should have been thrown in a dumpster to see if you could crawl out of it and forage for your own food. After all, if you can't survive on your own then what good are you, right?

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I am only using the logic that has been put out in the opposing arguements here to show the faults in them. I, unlike some on this board, wish no malice against anyone.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
I don't know, if we were to use arguments as broad as you two are using, we might as well be arguing if NOT ejaculating your seed into a vagina would be considered murder.

No, it wouldn't, because again, a wad of semen doesn't have a heart that beats and a brain that thinks.

I'm all for a women's right to have an abortion....but I think there has to be a cutoff point, and in my mind this woman had long since passed it.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:

yes we are a sack of cells but we are developed. This unborn child is not developed, thus it cannot be considered a person. We are fully developed yet the fetus is not. You cannot be charged with murder unless you kill developed human being. This fetus is not nearly as developed as a born child. You can only consider this sac of cells a person when uve "given it time to learn"

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
At that far along in development, it is, without a doubt, life. The baby was a learning, thinking being. A "Woman's Right to Choose" is a bullshit arguement, especially here. She chose to have sex, an act that every 28 year-old knows can lead to pregnancy

What about rape???

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Quote:

winged creature said:

yes we are a sack of cells but we are developed. This unborn child is not developed, thus it cannot be considered a person. We are fully developed yet the fetus is not. You cannot be charged with murder unless you kill developed human being. This fetus is not nearly as developed as a born child. You can only consider this sac of cells a person when uve "given it time to learn"

WTF?

They were ready to come out. The doctor didn't tell her that the babies needed to come out and go onto life support to survive. They were fully developed. All the doctor would have done is removed the babies, cut the cord, slapped their tushes, and handed them to thier mother.

Babies are usually fully developed when they enter the 3rd trimester. They are just tiny. The 3rd trimester is when they add weight. That's usually all they do in the 3rd trimester is add weight. That's when they go from a couple of pounds to a healthy birth weight of 6-9 lbs.

So, they are actually alive at the end of the 2nd trimester.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

winged creature said:
What about rape???

First off, that's not even an issue here. There was nothing in that article that leads to any assumption that she was raped. This is a case of a mother putting her own physical appearance (not well-being, mind you) above the life of both of her children, though one did survive.

Secondly, on a personal stance, I'm not 100% decided on the rape victim stance. But I do side with her right to abort because she did not have a choice on the conception. But, then again, a rape vitcim won't wait until near the end of the third trimester, after the baby is fully formed and developed, to have an abortion either. That's a decision made very close to conception.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

winged creature said:
yes we are a sack of cells but we are developed. This unborn child is not developed, thus it cannot be considered a person.

What's your definition of "developed"?

Most babies are developed enough to be born around the start of the 3rd and final stage.

Quote:

We are fully developed yet the fetus is not.

Most newborn babies aren't "fully" developed yet. Their lungs and braintissue are still developing even days after the birthing procedure. This is why they're kept in the hospital.

Quote:

You can only consider this sac of cells a person when uve "given it time to learn"

They sure look like people to me....

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Animalman, we need to stop agreeing like this. It's scaring me.

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

PenWing said:
Quote:

winged creature said:

WTF?

They were ready to come out. The doctor didn't tell her that the babies needed to come out and go onto life support to survive. They were fully developed. All the doctor would have done is removed the babies, cut the cord, slapped their tushes, and handed them to thier mother.

Babies are usually fully developed when they enter the 3rd trimester. They are just tiny. The 3rd trimester is when they add weight. That's usually all they do in the 3rd trimester is add weight. That's when they go from a couple of pounds to a healthy birth weight of 6-9 lbs.

So, they are actually alive at the end of the 2nd trimester.

yes, but statistically survival under a certain weight is rare.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

winged creature said:

Most babies are developed enough to be born around the start of the 3rd and final stage

Sure developed enough to born??? I think not they would not survive. Only medical technology allows them to survive and thats not 100%. So essentially there not ready for that stage thus they are still a underdeveloped sac of cells.

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

winged creature said:
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

winged creature said:

Most babies are developed enough to be born around the start of the 3rd and final stage

Sure developed enough to born??? I think not they would not survive. Only medical technology allows them to survive and thats not 100%. So essentially there not ready for that stage thus they are still a underdeveloped sac of cells.

well, unless your working at the hand of god the chances are very minimual. and at that point why let it suffer. if you have to plug it into things and let it sit in a veggie state not being able to do or understand a thing.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Nice 180 there. It can't learn or understand; but it can suffer, huh?

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Nice 180 there. It can't learn or understand; but it can suffer, huh?

excuse me, doc, sweety, boby, baby, I'm all for pulling the plug and the whole DNR thing.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
To put it blantly it should be the womans choice, she is carrying it. Until it is born it not capable to be a functioning person, since it cannot survive with out its mother.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
yes, but statistically survival under a certain weight is rare.

I'm not sure I see what that has to do with anything. Statistically your chances of surviving Aids are low, should we just kill anyone who contracts it because they might not live?

Quote:

winged creature said:
Sure developed enough to born??? I think not they would not survive. Only medical technology allows them to survive and thats not 100%.

No, not "only". Some would die, yes, perhaps even a lot, but not all.

And again, this is a silly argument, because the fact is that they're alive. They breathe, they begin to think, they feel pain. Technology helps, of course, but penalizing them for that is absurd. Could they die? Sure! Anyone of us could die at any moment, even you! That doesn't give me the right to kill you, since I'd only be delaying the inevitable.

Should Siamese Twins be killed because, technically, they're not "fully developed"? What about Down Syndrome cases? What about Schizophrenics that can't cope without taking relaxing drugs? They need technology to survive, too, most of the time.

I'm tempted to say that this is "survival of the fittest" to the extreme, but it's not really even that, because by your standards, nobody would be fit enough. Even Sparta would have found this line of thinking strange.

Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
well, unless your working at the hand of god the chances are very minimual. and at that point why let it suffer. if you have to plug it into things and let it sit in a veggie state not being able to do or understand a thing.

Now we're crossing over into entirely different territory. Euthanasia is a seperate matter. You're talking about not even letting it get to the point of pulling the plug, you're not even giving them that chance.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

winged creature said:
To put it blantly it should be the womans choice, she is carrying it. Until it is born it not capable to be a functioning person, since it cannot survive with out its mother.

1.There's a certain point when it can be born, and the woman in question here was well past it.

2.Can a child survive without it's mother(or a mother-figure) anyway?

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

winged creature said:

1.There's a certain point when it can be born, and the woman in question here was well past it.

Im talking about the fetus in the mothers womb, that cannot survive without the mother. If it cannot survive on its own then it is not a person just an underveloped sac of cells.

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
I'm temped to pull up all the shit I learned in Growth and Repro, but I'm too tired now.

In this case, this woman put her appearence before the child's life. If her life was in danger, this would be a totally different matter.

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

winged creature said:
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

winged creature said:

Im talking about the fetus in the mothers womb, that cannot survive without the mother. If it cannot survive on its own then it is not a person just an underveloped sac of cells.

yes, the fetus cannot survive in the enviorment outside the womb being a sac of cells.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

winged creature said:
If it cannot survive on its own then it is not a person just an underveloped sac of cells.

Then Christopher Reeves has been an unperson for years.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

winged creature said:
If it cannot survive on its own then it is not a person just an underveloped sac of cells.

Then Christopher Reeves has been an unperson for years.

ah but u see he has developed, and has the ability to reason intelligently, so making him an example is just stupid

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard