Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#272433 2004-03-20 3:00 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Both Drudge and N.Y. Times have reported that John Kerry called one of the Secret Service Agents guarding him a ""son of a bitch".

Meanwhile, his wife, millionaire Teresa, calls the people of the United States "at times...quite immature."

Do the Kerrys reflect the attitude towards the "little guy" that we want in our President and First Lady?

Are they correct in their characterizations?

Or are they just rich, haughty, assholes?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
What about President Bush calling a reporter an asshole with a live mike in 2000? So glad we have Drudge there to report the truly important things & not those petty issues like the war & economy. I can't wait to find out everytime Kerry farts!

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
You're right MEM, calling a guy who is guarding your life a "son of a bitch" is no where near as bad as making an offhand and overheard comment about a critical newspaper reporter.

I note you didn't actually address the question, BTW.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
I have to laugh at all the times Kerry speaks about being an Irish-American despite having NO Irish ancestry (his name is a result of his Jewish grandfather changing his name at Ellis Island years ago when arriving from Central Europe)

The guy's a lying scumball, but when he's a majority-WASP trying to pretend to be one of us Irish guys for the political benefit it gives him in MA, I really wanna punch the guy in the face repeatedly until his nose actually LOOKS like an Irish nose...

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
He's a complete and total asshole.........he and his wife don't give a shit about anybody especially not the little guys.........it's just he and the Democrats use Class Warfare and manage to fool lots of people.........he's a French Frog.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said: I can't wait to find out everytime Kerry farts!

The bad thing is, Kerry farts from the wrong end!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

DuplicateMan said:
The bad thing is, Kerry farts from the wrong end!

He pees gas?

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Both Drudge and N.Y. Times have reported that John Kerry called one of the Secret Service Agents guarding him a ""son of a bitch".

Meanwhile, his wife, millionaire Teresa, calls the people of the United States "at times...quite immature."

Do the Kerrys reflect the attitude towards the "little guy" that we want in our President and First Lady?

Are they correct in their characterizations?

Or are they just rich, haughty, assholes?

Um...I guess this is a stupid question, but...what was the context of these quotes?

That's kind of important, don't you think?

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
JQ Offline
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
The context of the quotes are important, but nobody can say Bush is morally superior. I'd take Martha Stewart over Bushie.

FREE SCOTT PETERSON! "Basically, you've just responded with argumentative opinion to everything I've said. And you respond with speculations, speculating that I'M speculating. "- Wonder Boy
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
From Germany's DER SPIEGEL :

Quote:

"Teresa's Election"

US presidential election campaign: President John Forbes Kerry would bring an unusual wife to the White House. Teresa Heinz Kerry is wealthier and older than her husband, and some people say she is cleverer, more aggressive and stronger than him too. Can America cope with this lady? Teresa Heinz Kerry knows her way around, she has got around a lot: born in Mozambique, she went to school in South Africa and to university in Geneva, she speaks five languages, has translated for the United Nations, and she knows the world. Which is why she knows, and says out loud, that the United States can at times be quite immature.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
well then at least she has a frame of reference.

100+ posts
100+ posts
So how does this discussion differ from unreasonable liberal hatred of the president, then?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
If anything, the Kerry's comments almost appear to be a corollary to "unreasonable liberal hatred of the President", to wit, "unreasonable rich liberal hatred of "commoners."

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Well, the fact is, the American people can at times be immature. Look at the way we over-reacted to the Janet Jackson superbowl incident, or our penchant for labeling, or how many of us sometimes try to find scapegoats rather than confront the hard facts, or how a lot of political discussions have turned into partisan whining and bashing, to the point that it seems impossible to have a real, intelligent discussion about the issues without it becoming a partisan slugfest.

I think those are just a few of the many incidents that indicate that we Americans can be immature at times. True, they aren't unique to our country, except for the Janet Jackson incident (at least I think that's unique), but that doesn't let us off the hook or make us more mature.

Still, it's a pretty stupid thing for Mrs. Kerry to say during an election campaign - especially one that's already gotten ugly and will probably will get even uglier (although I don't know if it's fair to blame Kerry himself for what his wife says).

Wait a minute - when DID she say this, anyway? Was this a recent comment, or something somebody dug up somewhere froma few years back?

Last edited by Darknight613; 2004-03-21 4:08 PM.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Again, context?

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I don't think context matters. It doesn't matter if she even said it. Smear jobs don't really need truth or honesty, just repetition.

Fair play!
1000+ posts
1000+ posts

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

The Indestructible Man said:

Are you taking over for whomod, now?

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Of course Kerry's an asshole. All politicians, including Bush, are assholes.

Duh!

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Gotta agree with that logic!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The context of Kerry's "SOB" comments appear to be as follows:

...while on the slopes snowboarding Kerry made much of his athletic prowess in the hours leading up to his first official foray. Yet once network news cameras were deployed, Kerry and his staff asked that no pictures be taken until after he'd had a "practice run."

The cameramen agreed. At that point, Kerry allowed several cameramen on skis to follow him down the slopes. But a few minutes later, when a Secret Service agent accidentally knocked Kerry down as the agent avoided some other skiers, Kerry threw a fit.

"First, Kerry sat up and took off his sunglasses. He was looking to see where the cameras were and whether his fall got photographed," says a production assistant for one of the network crews. Then when asked about the tumble by a producer for one of the crews, Kerry snapped, "I don't fall down. That son of a bitch ran into me," and pointed at the Secret Service agent.

"It was an extremely uncomfortable scene. Everyone saw it," says the production assistant.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Is that a picture of Kerry laying on the ground or falling headfirst off the mountain. I think the second choice is funnier.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
If anything, the Kerry's comments almost appear to be a corollary to "unreasonable liberal hatred of the President", to wit, "unreasonable rich liberal hatred of "commoners."

Should I infer from this that you're likening the President to a "commoner"? That he's representing "the little people"?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Technically, since we rejected the idea of a King during the formation of this nation, yes, the President IS a "commoner."

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I define a "commoner" as just being your average low-middle class citizen, the common man, so to speak. That, George Bush is not.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Is anyone who's been president or running for president a "commoner?" You have to be something pretty high up on the chain to run. If anyone could run, we'd be singing "Hail To The Chief" to Rob by now.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I'd vote for Rob before any of these guys.

He'd probably put Arnold and Hulk Hogan on his cabinet. They could have tag team matches with opposing governments.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

jafabian said:
Is anyone who's been president or running for president a "commoner?"

Sure. A lot of our presidents, most recently Bill Clinton, were born poor and made successes of themselves later in life.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
shuttup, g-man, i got voters!

nih. this whole "i can't believe he said that" shit really bugs me. why can't kerry get angry? why can't dubya call someone an ass hole?

politics are too goddamn superficial, and its too easy to "stain your shirt" in that world.

giant picture
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Well, in the case of Kerry, to play devil's advocate, do you really want a guy so quick tempered that he curses out his own bodyguard having his finger on the proverbial button?

Or, more realistically, why should we believe Kerry when he talks about being better suited to cooperation and diplomacy if the second he gets embarrased he lashes out at supposed friends?

Better be nice to me Rob, Kerry has Limbaugh, Bush has Franken. You don't want ME as your most prominent critic.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

jafabian said:
Is anyone who's been president or running for president a "commoner?"

Sure. A lot of our presidents, most recently Bill Clinton, were born poor and made successes of themselves later in life.

Clinton was governor of Arkansas before becoming president though. That's my point. And he was more lower middle class while growing up rather than coming from a hillbilly shack from the hills of Arkansas. He was attending a private all boys school when he met JFK and went to school in England, so he wasn't all that poor growing up.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Well, in the case of Kerry, to play devil's advocate, do you really want a guy so quick tempered that he curses out his own bodyguard having his finger on the proverbial button?

I'd imagine he's aware that there's a slight difference between losing your temper and cussing somebody out and killing every living creature on the planet, so that probably isn't a very good comparison.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
If you're point was that it is unlikely that one would go immediately from poverty to the Presidency, then you are quite right.

Of course, this most likely has to do with the fact that both political parties, and the American people, expect their president (and the proverbial leader of the free world) to have at least SOME qualifying experience to get elected, be it political, military or the like. Such exerience does not, of course, typically lend itself to poverty.

On the other hand, if your point is that, by the time a Person is President, he or she is de facto some sort of blue blood, I would respectfully disagree.

The fact that one might have been born a "commoner" and then rose, Horatiao-Alge style, from the depths of that commonality to high office does not mean that he has forgotten his roots.

To use, again, the most recent example of Clinton, by all accounts Clinton was quite common in his tastes (no Hillary or Monica jokes, please). His favorite food was things like hamburgers, he listened to Elvis Presley and his last car was a Chevy.

I think, perhaps, in reading your post, you are defining "commoner" too narrowly.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

D. McDonagh said:
I'd imagine he's aware that there's a slight difference between losing your temper and cussing somebody out and killing every living creature on the planet, so that probably isn't a very good comparison.

Again, to play devil's advocate...

You--or the American/Eurpopean left in general--seem to have no problem assuming all sorts of things from Bush's background, and extrapolating them into all sorts of despotic tendencies.

The argument it is made is that past behavior indicates possible future behavior.

While, other than, perhaps, a generalized antipathy for Bush, do you give Kerry more benefit of the doubt?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

100+ posts
100+ posts
Probably,and largely down to the fact that he isn't Bush to be fair.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Well, thanks for being honest.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
nih. this whole "i can't believe he said that" shit really bugs me. why can't kerry get angry? why can't dubya call someone an ass hole?

politics are too goddamn superficial, and its too easy to "stain your shirt" in that world.

I agree completely, Rob. It's not like John Kerry(or George Bush) would get pissed and say "damnit, let's bomb Cuba!"

Even if it was a shitty thing to say(which is pretty hard to determine when it's written down rather than spoken), everybody loses their temper. I wish Mr. Rogers was running for President, too, but he isn't.

I think it's sad when a candidate can be completely eliminated from the running(or a President laughed out of the White House) based on his mannerisms or foibles. It's as if we want an emotionless robot with no particular leaning or opinion on anything...though, in truth, even that behavior is blasted(Al Gore).

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

On the other hand, if your point is that, by the time a Person is President, he or she is de facto some sort of blue blood, I would respectfully disagree.

But is that necessaritly a bad thing? Let's look at the role of the presidency then. Are you focusing on running the country, or are you representing the USA in world affairs? I think it's more the latter, IMO. If you're concerened about the economy in your area, that's to be addressed by your states governor and by whomever is chairman of the Federal Reserve moreso than the president. If you are trying to forge a relationship with the government of another country you have to be able to "politic" with other groups and someone of a "commoner" background just won't have those skills.

100+ posts
100+ posts
Whereas George W Bush (with his wealthy background) is known for the ease and charm with which he handles international relations?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard