Page 1 of 2 1 2
#273001 2004-03-22 5:44 PM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
are there any characters that, they themselves arent necessarily outdated, but their costumes are?

should dr. doom be given high(er)-tech armor?

should hawkman finally be given a shirt?

giant picture
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I'm going to commit heresy and say Superman. I just can't stand the costume. It's so old. Just tweak the stupid fucking thing a little, like they've done to Batman. Maybe some darker blue, get rid of the underwear and make the red a part of the costume. Just keep the basic theme of the character, but tweak it.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Quote:

Stupid Dogg said:
I'm going to commit heresy and say Superman. I just can't stand the costume. It's so old. Just tweak the stupid fucking thing a little, like they've done to Batman. Maybe some darker blue, get rid of the underwear and make the red a part of the costume. Just keep the basic theme of the character, but tweak it.

I would agree with this. Some red gloves might be nice, cuz of fingerprints and whatnot...

BUTTPLUG!
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
should hawkman finally be given a shirt?

NEVER!

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I'm not a fan of Canary's fishnets. I thought it was a huge step forward with the so called "scuba suit" that she wore beginning in the the first BoP oneshot. But, after Dixon left, the black whatever she is wearing and the fishnets came back.

I'm not a fan of PG's outfit either. It doesn't do anything. Well, it shows cleavage, but the colors and design of the costume are all wrong.

Batgirl needs a different mask.

There are too many capes. Asside from Superman, no other superpowered heroes should have a cape. And only Batman and Batgirl should have capes in the non-superpowered catagory, b/c their capes actually serve a purpose.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Without the cape, Martian Manhunter is essentially a man in his briefs.

You're a sicko.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
25+ posts
25+ posts
Danny is a fucktard.

Danny:Swallower and proud pounder of MEAT.
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Danny said:

You're a sicko.

Thank you for reminding me: Martian Manhunter desparately needs a make over. Will someone please give him some clothes?

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Rob, do you just want Hawkman in a shirt cos he's got a hairier chest than you?

JJ

We all wear a green carnation.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I thought Waid already gave Doc Doom new armor?

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
500+ posts
500+ posts
The X-Men all need to either go the entire Morrison black leather route, or they need to return to their original costumes.
The buckles, straps, loincloth and high-tech gear look needs to go away.

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
I agree about Marshy Manhunter. Hes a cool mother fucker but he looks like a tool. and If anyone says Wonder Woman Ill voodoo curse their family. Shes sacred ground.

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Curse me, then. Hoplite armour for WW. Out of the swimsuit, and into something a warrior/diplomat from ancient Greece would actually wear.

I agree on Supes' supersuit but it'd piss off too many traditionalists.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Rob, do you just want Hawkman in a shirt cos he's got a hairier chest than you?

shh!

not here, jimothy.

Quote:

JJ

dy-no-myte!

Quote:

space coyote said:
Quote:

Stupid Dogg said:

I would agree with this. Some red gloves might be nice, cuz of fingerprints and whatnot...

i've oft crafted (..oft? ...crafted??) an updated design for supes that involved gloves (c'mon... no one ever looked for super prints??) and some other minor touches -- an effort to update the look, without obliterating the past (and enraged fans of llance-like age).

i should finally get around to postin'em.

giant picture
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Professor X should wear a Wig. And his wheelchair should have mounted gatling guns and a Bumper sticker that says "Mutants Rule"

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Oh, and since majority of the regulars are also into pro-wrestling: Shawn Micheals' costume should be updated. The gay heart-oriented costume was already gay when he was younger but now that he's already too old to be even called a "kid", it's even worse. The heartrob gimmick should be changed to a Dirty Old Man gimmick - with a Jesus Twist.

notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
Quote:

Son of Mxy said:
Oh, and since majority of the regulars are also into pro-wrestling: Shawn Micheals' costume should be updated. The gay heart-oriented costume was already gay when he was younger but now that he's already too old to be even called a "kid", it's even worse. The heartrob gimmick should be changed to a Dirty Old Man gimmick - with a Jesus Twist.

So, a Catholic priest.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I never saw that coming.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Daredevil needs an update. Not a major one. Just a little something to enhance it.

I don't get Nightwing's costume. He looks like a guy in a domino mask wearing a body suit. He should go with what was used in the Animated Series.

Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner) has a terrible one. I've always said he looks like a condom with all those ridges on the arms and legs of it.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
500+ posts
500+ posts
I would like to see Mary Marvel updated and in a team book.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
For Gob's sake, she's not legal yet.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Firestorm should wear a black suit, black tie, white shirt. The visual appearance of his flaming head would contrast with his plain clothes.

Costumes are generally good for comics because they help define and identitfy characters. They look crap on TV or movies. Warren Ellis has the right idea in his books with costumes, which is sort of compromise between the comics and TV approaches: Elijah Snow wears an all white suit, the evil Bride wore a bride dress, Spider Jerusalem wears a black suit to contrast his tats and weird glasses, Hawksmoor has a black suit but bare ridged feet, the Drummer wears civilian clothes but has his drum sticks. Ordinary clothes, but with something to make the characters stand out.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

Stupid Dogg said:

The costume you desire already exists: It's Draxhall Jump's "Ultimate Superman" design from Wizard.

http://www.draxhall.com/images/wizardm_sm_cs_02_000.jpg

And frankly, I think it's just about perfect. Just switch the Kingdom Come emblem with the clasic design, and it's good to go.

My first novel, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Yeah that looks pretty sweet. Ive always been anti-changing Superman but I guess you cant scoff at good design.

I actually like the black Superman digs hes been wearing on some of the new Turner covers of Superman.

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
Quote:

PenWing said:
Quote:

Danny said:

You're a sicko.

Thank you for reminding me: Martian Manhunter desparately needs a make over. Will someone please give him some clothes?

Oh, what? So now you're saying buccaneer boots aern't cool?

Seriously though, i agree about Superman. In fact I think the whole skin tight spandex and outeroos motif on ANY hero has bitten the dust already.

When it becomes parody 1st and serious understanding of the concept of superhroes second (in the POV of the public at large), then it's time to find what grabs the imagination of people in the here and now rather than sticking by 'tradition'. I think the X-Men film and even the Spider-Man film captured a great middle ground between costumes vs something else.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Quote:

jafabian said:
I don't get Nightwing's costume. He looks like a guy in a domino mask wearing a body suit. He should go with what was used in the Animated Series.

He should go back to the Perez-era costume with the high-ass collar. That look was sweet!

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

Fused said:
Yeah that looks pretty sweet. Ive always been anti-changing Superman but I guess you cant scoff at good design.

I actually like the black Superman digs hes been wearing on some of the new Turner covers of Superman.

I'm not big on sticking Superman in black. It's one thing if his emblem has a black background like in some versions, because he's still wearing the traditional red and blue. But an all-black suit on him just looks wrong to me. I'd rather just update what he's already got than try to strip him of any and all color.

My first novel, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
My favorite line of the Reign of the Supermen story was when Lois told the Eradicator that Superman "never wore black like an executioner!" That line has always stuck in my mind whenever I see Superman costume designs with black in them.

So I agree with King Krypton that the picture he posted was perfect, except that the emblem should be the classic one.

And that's terrible.
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Give superman a Thong.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
The whole roster of Ultimate DC heroes from Wizard #136:

Superman

Batman

Wonder Woman

Flash

Green Lantern

JLA

(I think that little green blob thing is supposed to be the Martian Manhunter...)

Teen Titans

Assassinist
500+ posts
Assassinist
500+ posts
Here's my list...

Martian Manhunter - I like the cape and boots, hate the suspenders and speedos.

Alan Scott - He looks like a Shakespearian pimp from the 1600's

Triathlon and The Flash - Why they can't wear something close to what Track and Field athlete's actually wear, I don't know.

X-Men - They should bring back the costumes from late 80's early 90's. Maybe then I could consider them superheroes again.

Green Lantern (Kyle) - I don't like his costume, but at least he actually looks like Green Lantern now. That old crab-mask costume was just awful!

Wonder Woman - Dave's post said it all.

"Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money" - Ice Cube
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
I actually really like those designs. And I'm pretty hardcore when people start talking about fucking with Wondie. So my criticism is going that gladiator armor route with Wonder Woman is pulling her to that Xena image. I am just not down with that. In spite of the fact that I do like all of these ultimatizing concepts, the swimsuit just owns. I wouldnt want these to become staple.

The corsets hot though. :P

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Oh ya, and I'd be pissed if I was a Marshie fan and I got that fuckin blob as the ultimate version. At least the others are cool lookin' and I know hes a fuckin' Martian but goddamn.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts

Now THIS is what I call a costume update!

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Doc.Mid-Nite said:
Triathlon and The Flash - Why they can't wear something close to what Track and Field athlete's actually wear, I don't know.

The Flash actually wore spandex before track athletes found it cool to do so...

And that's terrible.
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
The Ultimate Wondie costume up there is still very T'n'A. Sigh. Put her in something a warrior would actually wear and get yourself a date, comic book artists of the world...

I like the Superman and Batman ones. Flash is... I dunno. Red spandex. His face is covered. Good for him. GL has no drastic changes to stuff we've already seen, but it aint really broke.

The Titans designs make me laugh. Then cry a little bit.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
No way Danny, even when I'm getting laid regularly could you not convince me to cover up Miss Exploited Wonder Woman. Who let John Ashecroft in? You can can take your 'get a date shit' and cram it up your arbitrary orifice. I get enough of that shit on the pussified DC boards.

No flame intended, lol.

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Like she'd wear that stupid little armour thing on her forehead and nipples but leave that much of the rest of her body exposed.

You're a big silly doody-head!

No flame intended.

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Yeah youre right. She needs to cover up more and I do in fact need a date. But she looks so fuckin' HAWT!

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
I would like to put forth that it is not possible to be two dimensional and hot. I cannot wrap my head around the idea of T'n'A comics that people produce based on the theory that the characters are attractive (Danger Girl and Fathom come to mind... you know what I'm talking about).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard