Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#279970 2004-04-15 2:44 AM
2000+ posts
OP Offline
2000+ posts
The new Superman creative teams started today.
I'll be getting the Brian azzarello/Jim Lee and Ruckas books.
Anyone excited about this? I'm kinda nuetral on the whole thing but I'll give it a try.

now known as rex
rexstardust #279971 2004-04-15 3:04 AM
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
I'm sick of a dark Superman.

He's not fucking Batman dammit.

He is SUPPOSED to be to the fucking boy scout.

Smiling Jack the good guy.

I'll try it. I think it will be a waste on my part.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I want to see writers like Grant Morrison, Mark Waid and Kurt Busiek on Superman. Writers who think outside the box and are well established on that level. Loeb's Hulk: Gray issue as well has the Hush arc on Batman were a bit dissapointing to me.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
jafabian #279973 2004-04-15 7:56 PM
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
I read through Austen's Superman at the store. Supes said dude, cool and words like that I think mostly it was joking, but it was horrible because it wasn't funny. How does Austen have a job? Ecven worse if he was seriously using that verbage. The art was pretty though.

Pig Iran #279974 2004-04-16 1:44 AM
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

Pig Iron said:
I read through Austen's Superman at the store. Supes said dude, cool and words like that I think mostly it was joking, but it was horrible because it wasn't funny. How does Austen have a job? Ecven worse if he was seriously using that verbage. The art was pretty though.

Against my better judgment, I too took a flip thru this at the store. Austen is nowhere near Waid and Wagner's league, and he proved it once and for all with this issue. This was a bloated 1994-1999-style campfest all the way.

As for Ivan Reis...meh. It looks like he tried to combine Ed McGuinness and Bryan Hitch's styles to create his own, and the end result wasn't anywhere near as good as those two guys. Color me unimpressed with the whole package.

My first novel, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
jafabian #279975 2004-04-16 1:57 AM
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

jafabian said:
I want to see writers like Grant Morrison, Mark Waid and Kurt Busiek on Superman. Writers who think outside the box and are well established on that level. Loeb's Hulk: Gray issue as well has the Hush arc on Batman were a bit dissapointing to me.

We already saw Waid on Superman (Birthright), and we saw what happened to him. DC treated the book like it was a plague virus and didn't do diddly-squat to promote or support it, we saw the Byrne-Jurgens Sycophants skin Waid alive for doing the EXACT same thing Bryne did in 1986, and we saw the book, which was pretty damned good, belly-flop because of all the above. Waid got shafted big-time, and frankly I don't ever want to see him on Superman ever again. He was punished for doing nothing more than telling the Superman story he wanted to tell, and I don't want to see him kill himself for nothing again. Once was unfair enough to him. Ditto for Matt Wagner, whose fantastic Trinity took the exact same bashing and flaying because it wasn't 100% Pure Byrne-Jurgens Dogma. If the price of writers getting to tell great Superman stories is watching said stories be slaughtered and said authors be crucified and left to be turned into quarter-bin fare, then I'd rather these writers just not bother with Superman. The fans are just too arrogant, too selfish, and too entrenched in the past (1986-1999) to accept anything other than that time period, and no writer worth his salt should ever have to tolerate such an ungrateful, hate-spewing bunch of egomaniacs.

Morrison...his sensibilities are too similar to Waid's, and he'd only end up taking the same level of abuse and hatred for no reason other than his concept of Superman doesn't conform to Byrne-Jurgens. So no, I don't want him working on the character. It's not worth his time to get roasted for having his own take on Superman. Busiek...no dice. His sensibilites are too old-fashioned for Team Ego to ever give him a fair shake. JMS? He's an unabashed fan of the old-school Superman, especially the Alan Moore stories. That alone would get him crucified. No, the only writers the "fans" deserve now are the low-level, assembly line hacks like Austen, the idiots who spew ignorant tripe while writing bland, tepid stagnation that only enforces the status quo. They've proven once and for all that they only care about "CONTINUITY," quality be damned.

And believe me, they can have it.

Last edited by King Krypton; 2004-04-16 1:58 AM.

My first novel, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
King Krypton #279976 2004-04-16 1:58 AM
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Superman?! Fuck that shit!

TK-069 #279977 2004-04-16 8:24 AM
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

We already saw Waid on Superman (Birthright), and we saw what happened to him. DC treated the book like it was a plague virus and didn't do diddly-squat to promote or support it, we saw the Byrne-Jurgens Sycophants skin Waid alive for doing the EXACT same thing Bryne did in 1986, and we saw the book, which was pretty damned good, belly-flop because of all the above. Waid got shafted big-time, and frankly I don't ever want to see him on Superman ever again. He was punished for doing nothing more than telling the Superman story he wanted to tell, and I don't want to see him kill himself for nothing again. Once was unfair enough to him. Ditto for Matt Wagner, whose fantastic Trinity took the exact same bashing and flaying because it wasn't 100% Pure Byrne-Jurgens Dogma. If the price of writers getting to tell great Superman stories is watching said stories be slaughtered and said authors be crucified and left to be turned into quarter-bin fare, then I'd rather these writers just not bother with Superman. The fans are just too arrogant, too selfish, and too entrenched in the past (1986-1999) to accept anything other than that time period, and no writer worth his salt should ever have to tolerate such an ungrateful, hate-spewing bunch of egomaniacs.

The simple solution, I think, is to ignore what other readers say. If you enjoy reading a book, fuck all whatever anyone else says. It's your money, your opinion. Same as theirs. I personally don't like Mark Waid or Superman, so I skipped out on Birthright. There's always gonna be someone that'll critize an artistic work unjustly, but that should not affect your own enjoyment of the project if you did enjoy it.

The internet is full of high self-opinionated geeks (myself included) and the trick is to learn to ignore that which you do not agree with, at least, those that cannot explain logically their differing opinions.

As for the topic at hand: I'm torn. I loathe Jim Lee's artwork. I think he has a very old generic style with little or no artistic character, and little or no storytelling ability. This is all my opinion.

But I love Azzarello.

Undecided, but leaning towards just not getting the book. I'm not gonna go out of my way.

Mr. Nobody #279978 2004-04-17 12:41 AM
500+ posts
500+ posts
For the new regime... I'll try out Azzarello and hopefully buy all of Rucka's, but avoid Austen's.

Put I would love those writers mentioned above put on the line... Morrison, Waid, and Busiek as the three principals. As much as I love Rucka, I want to see him writing more Batman.

I actually enjoy Lee's artwork quite a bit, he's certainly not my favorite penciller, but I think he has great storytelling skills. Despite the relatively weak Loeb story on Hush, Lee pulled it off wonderfully.

King Krypton #279979 2004-04-17 1:16 AM
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Quote:

King Krypton said:
Morrison...his sensibilities are too similar to Waid's, and he'd only end up taking the same level of abuse and hatred for no reason other than his concept of Superman doesn't conform to Byrne-Jurgens. So no, I don't want him working on the character. It's not worth his time to get roasted for having his own take on Superman.

Morrison got a lot of shit for his different (read: good) take on the X-Men, so I doubt he cares how much Superman fans hate it, unlike Chuck Austen, who seems to get really distressed when people hate his stuff and are vocal about it.

Link Copied to Clipboard