Next Thread
Print Thread
#280422 2004-04-16 4:53 AM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
OP Offline
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I was reading a book on political shifting and its effect on the 2000 election, and it got me thinking about comics (I'm a geek).
The book describes how the ideas of so called "New Democrats" and "Compassionate Conservatives" changed the political spectrum. But in the end the idea/philosophy that got the most votes became the incumbent for the next several years.
Same with comics.
Look at it this way. John Byrne and Frank Miller are put out there by their "party" (company), they get the reader's votes (in terms of sales) and Superman/Batman take on the Byrnes/Miller view for several years. Then Jurgens/Dixon take over, they carry some of the Byrnes/Miller ideas but slant it to their own view. And so on and so on.

Then you look at how these ideas change comics. How, like politics, when one thing is popular it changes the shape of the industry for years to come (Clintonism changes in Washington compared to Kirby/Leeism changes to comics).
Also take into account the infighting, controversial interviews, and party/company loyalty, not to mention the personal politics of the fans (some blast/defend Loeb or Johns like others blast/defend Bush or Kerry).

And no other entertainment industry is like this. TV fans don't say "Make mine NBC." Moviebuffs don't call Jason Patric a hack for his role in the retcon of Speed 1. Only comic fans and the industry itself plays itself out so politically.

I don't know if this idea holds any merit, I just thought it was interesting.

Bow ties are coool.
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think you're onto something. There are four media orientated industries that have a lot in common: comics, pro-wrestling, soap operas and politics. Each one has extreme and passionate partisanship, comprehensive media coverage and tends to look at the big picture in black and white.

There are some fundamental differences though. In the first one, the hero saves the world. In the second, the hero gets the belt. In the third one, the girl gets her man. And in the fourth one, you get to invade two Middle Eastern countries and secure a strategic oil reserve. Or get a blow job in the kitchen of the White House if you're a Democrat.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Dave said:
Or get a blow job in the kitchen of the White House if you're a Democrat.

This is the greatest advertisment for the Democratic Party. Ever.

200+ posts
200+ posts
Well, I don't know, I wouldn't buy a soda that tasted terrible twice and I wouldn't go to a restaurant again where the waiter was an ass. Actually, I'd kick his ass...

Seriously, I think this is very similar. Recently I went around and told some people to go to this veggie-fast food place, that 's a little outta the way in this one mall here, cause I thought they did not get enough customers, thus being forced to close shop...
Much in the same way, I'd post about on the forums plugging titles like "Runoff" to keep em alive for me to enjoy.

And riffing sucky things is a lot of fun, too. Like: stay away from the Nightcrawler mini where he is a pirate or something.
See, on the other hand, I think publishers look at the books reception a lot, encouraging feedback in order to make their decisions. (All too often this means axing the good books first ).
Don't know what all this shit I wrote has to do with the Democrats, though, musta drifted off rambling...

Last edited by therealdeadshot; 2004-04-20 5:43 PM.

Think clean thoughts, chum. -The Batman
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
dude -- that old Nightcrawler mini was kickin'! Don't be a hater!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yes, a mutant with a sword. How kewl.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
He's a swashbuckler.

Back on topic. I agree It seems like there are 3 parties and then those that have no allegiance..so basically 4 parties. Those who like the old world, those that liked the pre-implosion (92) world, those that like the current world and those who just like what they think is good whenever and whatever it is. There may be a fifth party though....those that hate comics and themselves , but read them to rekindle their childhood yet they hated their childhood so they hate something that they read for no real purpose other than apparently habit.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
I was reading a book on political shifting and its effect on the 2000 election, and it got me thinking about comics (I'm a geek).
The book describes how the ideas of so called "New Democrats" and "Compassionate Conservatives" changed the political spectrum. But in the end the idea/philosophy that got the most votes became the incumbent for the next several years.
Same with comics.
Look at it this way. John Byrne and Frank Miller are put out there by their "party" (company), they get the reader's votes (in terms of sales) and Superman/Batman take on the Byrnes/Miller view for several years. Then Jurgens/Dixon take over, they carry some of the Byrnes/Miller ideas but slant it to their own view. And so on and so on.

Then you look at how these ideas change comics. How, like politics, when one thing is popular it changes the shape of the industry for years to come (Clintonism changes in Washington compared to Kirby/Leeism changes to comics).
Also take into account the infighting, controversial interviews, and party/company loyalty, not to mention the personal politics of the fans (some blast/defend Loeb or Johns like others blast/defend Bush or Kerry).

And no other entertainment industry is like this. TV fans don't say "Make mine NBC." Moviebuffs don't call Jason Patric a hack for his role in the retcon of Speed 1. Only comic fans and the industry itself plays itself out so politically.

I don't know if this idea holds any merit, I just thought it was interesting.

Good point

Thanks.

Last edited by r3x29yz4a; 2004-09-01 8:04 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard