10000+ posts
Roseanne Barr was 9????

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Just above Robin Williams, Jerry Seinfeld, Johnny Carson, and Eddie Murphy...

There's a lot of stuff on this list I disagree with. That's one of my biggest peeves.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Yeah, a lot of the positions seemed off. Ray Romano's greater than Andy Kaufman?

And Billy Connolly's listed at 73 yet he wasn't profiled on the TV specials. Someone else took his place.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i think the problem lies in that they often confused "stand up" with "comedian," or simply "funny person."

for example, adam sandler broke the top 50. but i can almost guarantee no one could name a single joke from his stand up routine.

that said, i think richard pryor is a damn good choice for #1 stand up.

giant picture
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I agree. I can't argue with the top 2. Lenny Bruce as #3 is no problem for me either, though I know a couple of people who aren't thrilled by it.

But in no way is Sandler known for his stand-up. If I recall correctly, a lot of comedians, including Sandler himself, thought that his stand-up work wasn't that good. It's when he did characters on MTV and SNL that he found his niche.

Also, Roseanne isn't funnier than Eddie Murphy. Chris Rock, though I'd give him a spot in the top 20, has never been, will never be, and isn't as funny as Eddie was doing stand-up. Murphy should have been a lot higher on that list.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Hard to top Pryor, though my personal favorite is Carlin.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Woody Allen is known for his stand up?

500+ posts
500+ posts
I'm just very glad a) Jerry Seinfeld was not # 1. His stand-up routine is fairly subpar, which was a regular joke on his show. And b) Bill Hicks made it into the top 20. Though I'd have ranked him higher.

I also, though not technically a comedian, would have ranked Henry Rollins.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
for example, adam sandler broke the top 50. but i can almost guarantee no one could name a single joke from his stand up routine.

Just to prove you wrong.

Hey, Grandma, it's me. Buzz me in.

'Who's there?'

It's me. It's your grandson.

'Charles Manson?'

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

Mr. Nobody said:
I also, though not technically a comedian, would have ranked Henry Rollins.

Yeah, it crossed my mind that he could be included, but I figured they would consider him more of a monologist than a stand-up (along the lines of Eric Bogosian and Spaulding Grey).

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
I, too, would've ranked Hicks higher.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Izzard should've ranked higher, in my opinion.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
You know what the sad thing is, you can't even see most of these guys' material anymore. I remember back when Comedy Central was still The Comedy Channel as well as right after the buy-out. They'd show clips of old stand-up acts and skits to fill time and even had shows like Short Attention Span Theater that would show them for a half hour or so. It'd be nice to have another show like that on the air to see a lot of these old acts and bits. Especially considering the fact that I find very few of the newer comics funny.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
How is Dennis Leary all the way down at 50? Maybe it's not too far down, but still, I think he's better than that. I love to listen to his CD's every now and then. Great stuff.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
I agree. I can't argue with the top 2. Lenny Bruce as #3 is no problem for me either, though I know a couple of people who aren't thrilled by it.

But in no way is Sandler known for his stand-up. If I recall correctly, a lot of comedians, including Sandler himself, thought that his stand-up work wasn't that good. It's when he did characters on MTV and SNL that he found his niche.

Also, Roseanne isn't funnier than Eddie Murphy. Chris Rock, though I'd give him a spot in the top 20, has never been, will never be, and isn't as funny as Eddie was doing stand-up. Murphy should have been a lot higher on that list.

I agree with you 100%.

Pryor is someone that EVERYONE (minus a few forest-dwelling Aborigines) would put in their top three. A good choice, if you ask me.

Robin Williams, Eddy Murphy, and a few others should have been higher, while people like Roseanne and Chris Rock should have been lower. Jim Carrey shouldn't have even made that list. His standup sucked. Even he admits that.

Generally, I think the list was influenced too heavily by success in other venues. Get your own sitcom and you're a few notches up on their list, at least. Become a household name and you're almost guaranteed top 50.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:Become a household name and you're almost guaranteed top 50.

Which is pretty fucking hard if you're a stand-up comedian. These days you HAVE to have a TV show or movie to get recognized nationally. And even then, your basic TV viewer isn't going to watch Comedy Central just for the stand-up. A lot of the comedy on that channel just goes right over their heads.

For as many of my friends who worship Chapelle Show, Reno 911, and South Park, there are a hundred other "average American TV viewers" who just don't get it.

Anyway, I know he hasn't been around long enough to make it on a "Greatest" list, but Mitch Hedburg ("I bought a donut and they gave me a receipt") is currently my all-time favorite stand-up.

Non

I got soul but I'm not a soldier.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Mitch Hedburg is fucking HILARIOUS. I love that guy.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
sandler is known more for his acting but i dont think that should change the fact that his stand-up albums are some of the top selling of all time, which in the world of stand ups is a good measure of his success, every winter his hannaka(sp?) song from his stand up is palyed relentlessly, sure he focuses on movies now but so does murphy, williams and alot of the others.....

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
sandler is known more for his acting but i dont think that should change the fact that his stand-up albums are some of the top selling of all time, which in the world of stand ups is a good measure of his success, every winter his hannaka(sp?) song from his stand up is palyed relentlessly, sure he focuses on movies now but so does murphy, williams and alot of the others.....

Were those CDs so much live stand-up or more Sandler doing character sketches, skits and songs inside of a studio? When I think of a "stand-up" comedy album, I think of the old Steve Martin and Richard Pryor tapes, where it's them being recorded in front of a live audience doing their routines. Not them doing skits in a studio, with sound effects and other voice actors and what have you. Tenacious D, Cheech & Chong, The Jerky Boys, those are all "comedy" albums, but not necessarily "stand-up" albums (although didn't Cheech & Chong record some skits in front of a live audience?)

Non

*BLAM* *BLAM* "I'm black Gallaghar, bitch!"

"I got warrants!"

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
yeah they were stand up, he did several tours and hbo specials, the songs were him sitting there with his guitar singing, his standup routine is similar to robin williams where he tells stories only his are bizarre characters like the old man with the goat , and he has also did sketch type pieces on his albums too im not saying he's the funniest standup comedian but he made sold a significant amount of stand up albums

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:

Agreed.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

britneyspearsatemyshorts said:
yeah they were stand up, he did several tours and hbo specials, the songs were him sitting there with his guitar singing, his standup routine is similar to robin williams where he tells stories only his are bizarre characters like the old man with the goat , and he has also did sketch type pieces on his albums too im not saying he's the funniest standup comedian but he made sold a significant amount of stand up albums

Ok, I just wasn't sure. I only seem to remember his skits, not his stand-up. But then I only seem to remember little things, not lots of things.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I remember Sandler's albums being more studio music works than live stand-up. Maybe BSAMS is referring to stuff I haven't heard, but that's all I can remember as of right now.

Mitch Hedburg's Standing of the Edge of Comedy album has the most appropriate title I can think of for that album. It's like he's standing on the edge of comedy looking at it, but unable to understand what it really is. He and Horatio Sanz have to be the two unfunniest comedians on the face of the planet. If that's what people are considering comedy now-a-days, then it further accentuates my point that we need more exposure to the classic comedians who knew what funny was.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Disco Steve said:
Quote:

Animalman said:

Agreed.

I also agree.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
I remember Sandler's albums being more studio music works than live stand-up. Maybe BSAMS is referring to stuff I haven't heard, but that's all I can remember as of right now.

Mitch Hedburg's Standing of the Edge of Comedy album has the most appropriate title I can think of for that album. It's like he's standing on the edge of comedy looking at it, but unable to understand what it really is. He and Horatio Sanz have to be the two unfunniest comedians on the face of the planet. If that's what people are considering comedy now-a-days, then it further accentuates my point that we need more exposure to the classic comedians who knew what funny was.

A-WAA?! Clumping Mitch Hedburg into the same group as Horatio Sanz is a nearly-unforgivable transgression, but I'll let you slide this time, doctor. Yes, I'll agree with you there, I have absolutely NO idea how Horatio Sanz got onto SNL, but I don't think he should be compared to Hedburg.

Comedy is like everything else, it's got all sorts of different styles and subgenres (for lack of a better word). Did everyone like Bobcat Goldwaith (sp?) when he first came out? I seem to remember his character-voice turning people off. "Is he retarded or something?" My point is, there's a comedian for every type of comedy-lover out there. There's just something about Mitch Hedburg that I just find incredibly hilarious. His speech patterns and his voice have something to do with it, I think.

The Amazing Jonathan is hilarious, too, but some people may not think his coke-inspired humor is that funny (especially when it's YOUR Rolex watch he just smashed to pieces inside his red velvet bag).

Personally, I can't stand the yuck-yuck-schmuck stand-up of Rodney Dangerfield-types, the self-deprecating humor that appeals to the leisure-suit and rhinestone-wearing 50-60+ crowd.

non

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i think Rodney Dangerfield is a genius, one of the funniest stand ups ever, i find tho that my taste in stand up changes over the years, i used to find Steven Wright the funniest stand up ever, but i recently dug out some old cassettes and whle funny it doesnt seem as good as it used to......

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I just got a great e-mail of Steven Wright material:

Quote:

> Subject: COMEDIAN/ACTOR STEVEN WRIGHT
>
> I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I don't
> know what to feed it.
>
> I had amnesia once -- or twice, I forget.
>
> I went to San Francisco. I found someone's heart.
>
> Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were
> Catholic.
>
> All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make
> me happy.
>
> I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
>
> A beggar asked me for 50¢ for a sandwich. I said,
> "First let me see the
> sandwich."
>
> What is a "free" gift? Aren't all gifts free?
>
> They told me I was gullible... and I believed them.
>
> Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home
> and, when he grows up,
> he'll never be able to edge his car onto a freeway.
>
> Experience is the thing you have left when
> everything else is gone.
>
> What if there were no hypothetical questions?
>
> One nice thing about egotists: They don't talk about
> other people.
>
> When the only tool you own is a hammer, every
> problem begins to look like a
> nail.
>
> A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.
>
> What was the greatest thing before sliced bread?
>
> My weight is perfect for my height - which varies.
>
> I used to be indecisive. Now, I'm not sure.
>
> The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
>
> How can there be self-help "groups"?
>
> Is there another word for synonym?
>
> Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it
> all"?
>
> The speed of time is one-second per second.
>
> Is it possible to be totally partial?
>
> What's another word for thesaurus?
>
> Is Marx's tomb a communist plot?
>
> If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you
> explain whales?
>
> Show me a man with both feet firmly on the ground,
> and I'll show you a man
> who can't get his pants off.
>
> It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like
> one.
>
> Is it my imagination, or do buffalo wings taste like
> chicken?

And that's terrible.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Personally, I think Ellen Degeneres is a bit overrated. I remember when she hosted the Grammy's in '96 and '97 and the audience was dead silent.

She was great when she hosted the Emmy's in 2001, but of course she had great material to back her up (that was the show that was pre-empted because of 9/11).

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Steven Wright, he's hilarious, too. I think Mitch Hedburg derives a lot of his comedic style from Steven Wright.

And both sounded like they were stoned out when they talked.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I think Ellen, Roseanne and Joan Rivers were all overrated because they needed some women on the list.

And that's terrible.
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Fuck Mags Cho.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Quote:

I'm Not Mister Mxypltk said:
Fuck Mags Cho.

Nah!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
There was a Lewis Black special on comedy central tonight. That guy is great. He's like the drunken angry uncle that rants about shoes at every family gathering....

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

And that's terrible.

Link Copied to Clipboard