#341110 2004-08-30 5:36 AM
Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
Courtesy of The Toronto Sun Sports Page

Quote:

For storyline purposes, Randy Keith Orton may hate Evolution and everything about it, especially Triple H, but that doesn't mean he's about to change into a cute and cuddly fan favourite. Far from it.

The youngest WWE world champion in history, at the age of 24, he wants to keep his edge ... and his swagger.

"I'm still the cocky, arrogant Randy Orton ... this is not going to change anything," he said on the phone earlier this week. "It's just that now I have a beef with Ric Flair ... with Triple H.

"The past couple of months, I've noticed that fans are starting to get with me. Where I'd want them to not like me ... it was like Rocky (The Rock). They were turning me into a good guy before it was time. The company saw that and now they're giving the fans what they want."

So how much of the character is Orton in real life?

"A lot of guys take a bit of their natural charisma and magnify it by 10," said Orton. "The swagger really comes easy to me ... maybe there's a bit of that inside me. But I try to be humble and remember my roots."

Ah, his roots. A third-generation wrestler ... and the son of legendary Cowboy Bob Orton ... he feels blessed by his lineage.

"Every time I come home (to St. Louis), we pop in RAW and fast forward to my spot in the show," Orton said. "I'm very lucky to have that -- one of the best in the business at home giving me pointers.

"When I was young, five to 10, I travelled off and on with my dad. But to me it was just my father's job, something that he travelled around the world with. Later, I understood what he did. His friends would come over -- Don Muraco, Roddy Piper and Greg Valentine. I remember Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage and Andre the Giant being at the house. We had a condo by the airport and my mom would cook dinner for them ... a 20-pound turkey or hamburger meat. I remember them eating so much."

And now he's basking in the glory of being the champion, a belt he earned when he beat Chris Benoit at SummerSlam in Toronto two weeks ago.

"I had so many different emotions when I won," said Orton. "It's one thing for them to tell you you're going to win. It's like: 'Wow! That's crazy, I'm going to win the belt.'

"But it was a very emotional time. Benoit came back to the ring ... I respect him so much. Here comes a kid who's been wrestling for only five years ... and Benoit did what he had to do.

"My father and my grandfather never accomplished anything like this. I let them know their name is on it too. They're just as responsible for this."

FEUDING

So now it's full steam ahead with a feud with Triple H, a rivalry that was accelerated on RAW when the mentor asked the student to come to the ring, lay down and be pinned. Just one problem, Orton spit on Triple H.

"Retribution was in order," Orton said. "Just when the time was right, I served up a big loogie, wham, right in his face."

Orton is having the time of his life in a career that has moved along so quickly. And a career that seems to be moving to a status that's reserved for legends. How ironic -- legend killer becomes legend.

OTHER NEWS

- Maybe I'm the only one who wonders why WWE wouldn't bring The Undertaker for a one-night-only RAW appearance -- to disrupt the Kane wedding to Lita. Just the sound of The Undertaker's entrance music would have sent the audience into a tizzy. Trish (who got into a scrap with Lita) and Matt Hardy (who was chokeslammed to the floor) did interfere. But for now, Lita is Mrs. Kane.

- Sean Waltman (X-Pac) and Stone Cold Steve Austin were backstage at RAW. Waltman would be a good addition ... and Austin ... well, I say: "Hell, yeah!"

"Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money" - Ice Cube
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
X-Pac RoXoRz!

He fixes the cable?
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
SUCK IT!!!!

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I'd like to see X-Pac back, but stick him on Smackdown in the cruiserweight division, so he can claim being an undefeated Light-Heavyweight champion (which is actually true and make sense, so naturally the WWE won't do it.)

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Link Copied to Clipboard