#383303 2004-11-07 7:05 PM
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0%2C%2C1270884%2C00.html

Quote:

Pierce Brosnan has said in an interview that he will not continue to play James Bond, after newspaper reports suggested he was being edged out of the role.
Brosnan said the role was "behind him" and criticised the series' producers. The comments appeared after stories in British newspapers at the weekend claiming those same producers had decided to dispense with Brosnan's services.

In an interview posted on the website of US magazine Entertainment Weekly, the actor remarked: "Bond is another lifetime behind me," and said "[We] went out on a high ... I look back affectionately at that time and doing those four movies."

Brosnan then spoke less affectionately of the Bond producers, saying that: "They don't know how to move on. A sense of paralysis has set in."

"That's it," the actor then commented. "I've said all I've got to say on the world of James Bond."

Brosnan's remarks come after Scotland's Sunday Mail claimed this weekend that the actor was to be "pensioned off" by producers keen to find a younger actor in order to develop a less gadget-heavy approach to Bond.

The story also suggested that Brosnan's financial demands were a contributory factor in the decision.

This is not, however, the first time that the end of Brosnan's run as 007 has apparently been nigh. In 2001, prior to filming Die Another Day, rumours the actor had left the series and would be replaced by Hugh Jackman were so rife that producers were forced to issue a formal denial. This time around, the X-Men star is not expected to be in line should Brosnan vacate the role. Franchise producers are said to favour the likes of Ewan McGregor, Jude Law or Clive Owen.

The next Bond film - currently still under the working title of Bond 21 - is scheduled for release in late 2005.

I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
Hello!

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Dear God, please don't let the next movie stuck...

Maybe they shouldn't have killed of Onatopp. They could have used her again.

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
That really sucks. I enjoyed Brosnan's 007. I thought he melded the best of each of his predecessors' takes on the character.

Of the ones named, I think Law would be the best. He already proved to me that he could carry that type of role in Sky Captain. Ewan McGregor, of who I'm a big fan, would be my second choice. Clive Owen is a great actor, but I don't see him as a Bond. He just doesn't fit the role.

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
I liked Brosnan's interpretation as Bond, I just thought Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, and Die Another Day failed from a plot standpoint. Miserably. And I was so excited about Die Another Day. I thought it would be as good as GoldenEye. Whoops.

Would it be wrong to bring back SPECTRE?

(Jude Law would make a dynamic Bond, methinks. Too bad Christian Bale's going to be Batman.)

Megatron and Starscream
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
I agree. Brosnan was a great Bond. He was in the worst movies by far, with the exception of Goldeneye. Die Another Day really irritates me because it has my favorite set-up to a Bond film.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
He did a great job, too bad Goldeneye was the only good film (plot wise) that he was in.

The Leg Breakerer: Kung Fu Masta!!!
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I enjoyed all his films,that said I enjoy all the Bond films!

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
I still say Timothy Dalton is hideously underrated.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I heard a rumor a number of months ago that Australian actor Eric Bana (Troy, Finding Nemo, Hulk) was in talks to play the next Bond. Hurm...

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I heard that to. Pierce Bronson said on an interview that he wanted Colin Farrell to replace him.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #383314 2004-11-08 12:07 AM
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Colin Farrell as Bond...ugh...I don't need this right before an Organic quiz...

Megatron and Starscream
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Good choices IMO are:

Adrian Paul

Ben Chaplin

Hugh Jackman

Christian Bale

Jason Statham (put a wig on him like Connery used to)

Jason Connery

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
How about Jude Law?

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
Huge Jackman might be ok.

Roger Moores son was also talked about.

I do think we need a mature guy, someone in their 40s at the very least...I don't buy these young guys looking as if they've had the worldly experience Bond is supposed to have!

I really liked Dalton also, I think Licence to Kill is fun film that I have seen numerous times!

Me No Rikey Rob, he's a banana queer!

I shit on Hogan!
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I personally think all the Bonds have done a great job.
They each brought something different to the role which stopped the franchise growing too stale!

If I had to pick my all time fave Bond films there would be something in there from each Bond,even Lazenby as thats quite possibly my fave Bond film ever!

I agree that a guy in his 20s just aint gonna cut it,35-45 is about right!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
How about Jude Law?

]
Just doesnt say "Bond" to me!

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I'd love to see Adrian Paul as Bond for a couple of movies. Truth is, there are a lot of good suggestions listed in this thread. It would be nice if they went through all of them, as they each come of age (40).

Just to list a few (these are just estimates):

Adrian Paul is 45.

Hugh Jackman is 36. So is Eric Bana.

Jude Law is 32.

Ewen McGregor is 33.

Paul is of age now. Start with him. Then, see who is available between Jackman and Bana in about five years. Best part is, if one doesn't work out, the other can slip right in for a few movies. If neither works out, Law and McGregor would be the right age, and if one doesn't work, well, you get the idea. Bale is a little younger. So is Ferrall. I don't see either one as Bond. I don't see Statham as Bond, either. But all three would make outstanding villains.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

develop a less gadget-heavy approach to Bond

I'd very much like to see them do this, and all of the actors listed could easily pull it off.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Adrian Paul could play Bond as a cross between Connery & Brosnan.
He has already played a Connery-esque character in Highlander & I reckon he could pull off the suave persona of Brosnan as well I feel!

While I might normally be against an American playing Bond,I feel he is not such a big name that the character would become "Americanised",and he seemed to play a Scot pretty well!

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
IGN

Quote:

The Men Who Won't Be Bond
And the one star who wants to be him!

November 08, 2004 - Pierce Brosnan has commented again on losing the role of James Bond. According to The World Entertainment News Network, Brosnan felt "gutted" when contract negotiations with Eon Productions broke down. "When they told me, I was angry and the conversation was pretty short and sweet. They invited me back, and they changed their minds half-way through negotiations," said Brosnan. "It's hard to find the truth. If you get uptight it just does your head in so you've got to let it go. I thought they did me a favor, really...leave while you're on top."

Brosnan recently told the press he favored Colin Farrell as his successor but the Alexander star is having none of that, advising Latino Review that Brosnan "just shot that out. It's great to think that he has that much faith in me but I have no idea. I haven't heard a thing about it except for Pierce and I don't think they're listening to him for casting."

Another rumored Bond candidate, Fantastic Four heavy Julian McMahon, is out of the running now, too. His mother informed The Herald Sun that McMahon "had to decline the offer, having recently signed a long-term deal with his hit TV drama series Nip/Tuck."

Thanks to Dark Horizons for the heads-up on the Farrell and McMahon items.

One younger star who is definitely interested in playing 007 is Hugh Jackman. Moviehole points out a bit from Female First wherein Jackman confirmed that "there is something very secretive about the way they cast that role. ... I've never had an official call asking: 'Are you interested or not?' But there's no guy I know who wouldn't want that role – and that includes me. Anyone who says otherwise is lying."

Julian McMahon

rex #383324 2004-11-09 8:05 AM
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
There seems to be some strange misconception that Jason Statham has some kind of acting range. Please can we end this here and now!

I enjoyed Brosnan as Bond, but most of his films were stuck in the annoying Bond formula.

I was enjoying some actual espionage in the last one until the bloody satellite made its entrance. Sigh.

Oh, the invisible car was stupid as well. As was the concept of giving Madonna a speaking role.

Steve T #383325 2004-11-09 12:03 PM
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Yes the car was stupid,but how can you moan about the films being in the Bond formula?
Maybe thats because they are Bond films!

Take away the Bond formula & all you'll have is a generic action film that could have any generic action character as the main focal point!

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
James Bond no more

I think the Bond 21 movie poster should have Bond walking down an alley, away from a trash can containing his tuxedo.

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
Jude Law would make a great James Bond.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
IGN

Quote:

Bond 21 Rediscovers Director
GoldenEye helmer in talks.

November 10, 2004 - According to The Hollywood Reporter, Martin Campbell is in talks to direct the 21st James Bond film. Campbell previously helmed 1995's GoldenEye, which introduced Pierce Brosnan as Timothy Dalton's successor. Since it seems Brosnan is now out as 007 then it's likely Campbell will be introducing yet another new Bond to moviegoers.

"Although MGM recently said the Bond film will not arrive in theaters next November, as originally scheduled, the project would be on track to meet a 2006 release date should Campbell come aboard," says THR.

Directors Paul McGuigan (Gangster No. 1) and Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake) were also considered.

Neal Purvis and Robert Wade's script reportedly contains "more of the elements of earlier Bond pics than the more recent effects-packed pictures."

Campbell is currently filming the sequel Legend of Zorro for Columbia.

Good. Goldeneye was the last Bond movie I enjoyed.

rex #383329 2004-11-11 6:22 AM
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
How about Alexis Denisoff? He might make a good Bond...

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

rex #383330 2004-11-11 7:23 PM
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
IGN

Quote:

Bond 21 Rediscovers Director
GoldenEye helmer in talks.

November 10, 2004 - According to The Hollywood Reporter, Martin Campbell is in talks to direct the 21st James Bond film. Campbell previously helmed 1995's GoldenEye, which introduced Pierce Brosnan as Timothy Dalton's successor. Since it seems Brosnan is now out as 007 then it's likely Campbell will be introducing yet another new Bond to moviegoers.

"Although MGM recently said the Bond film will not arrive in theaters next November, as originally scheduled, the project would be on track to meet a 2006 release date should Campbell come aboard," says THR.

Directors Paul McGuigan (Gangster No. 1) and Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake) were also considered.

Neal Purvis and Robert Wade's script reportedly contains "more of the elements of earlier Bond pics than the more recent effects-packed pictures."

Campbell is currently filming the sequel Legend of Zorro for Columbia.

Good. Goldeneye was the last Bond movie I enjoyed.

*dances* This is gooooooood news!

Megatron and Starscream

Link Copied to Clipboard