Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Bill O'Reilly and quite a few Christian extremists have said that 'secularists' want to "cancel Christmas" because they "fear … the philosophy of Jesus."

The American culture of victimization needs and nurtures people and controversies like this. You're nobody in this country (the richest and among the freest in the history of the world) unless somebody is trying to oppress you. "I kvetch, therefore I am."

The crusaders do have a few good stories to tell. For example, how about that town decorating a conifer in front of City Hall, only to call it "the community tree"? Or school districts banning Christmas carols? Or the department store that changes its official greeting to "Happy Holidays." As reported by Eric Boehlert on Salon.com, many of these tales get twisted in the retelling. "You're not allowed to say Merry Christmas in many department stores," declared Tony Snow of Fox News, calling this nonexistent ban "an attack on Christianity."

Some of the de-Christmasification stories are true, and some quite absurd. To the extent that the cultural Christian Soldiers are griping about some overzealous corporate and government bureaucrats expunging and/or trying to expunge Christmas, they have a point.

It's nonsense, however, to suggest that Christmas finds itself on some endangered-holiday list. The United States is not a Christian nation, but it is a majority-Christian society and a predominantly Christian culture. The Constitution forbids us as a nation to "establish" one religion over others (or, in the view of some, to establish religion itself over nonbelief). But even the government must sometimes bend to social reality. Christmas will always be an official holiday, and the eight days of Hanukkah will never be. And members of minority faiths will always have to accommodate to the majority-Christian culture more than that culture can accommodate to them.

That's not so terrible, is it? The important thing is religious freedom, which we all enjoy. Muslims in the United States enjoy more freedom to practice their religion as they see fit than they would in some officially Muslim countries. Members of minority religions who chafe at every small reminder of their minority status are being just a tad oversensitive.

Members of the majority christian culture who chafe at every small accommodation of the minority's sensitivity are being oversensitive too. But people in the media, in government and in churches who are encouraging Christian majority resentments are worse than oversensitive. They are, in a word, thugs.

Accommodations to minority sensitivity, even when excessive or silly, pose no serious threat to Christianity or to its overwhelming dominance of American culture. To suggest that dark forces are succeeding in killing off Christmas is so spectacularly at odds with reality that minority paranoia starts to seem justified.

Why are these allegations of a war against Christianity coming up now? Not only is there no such war on Christianity going on, the balance between minority accommodation of the majority culture and majority accommodation of minority sensitivities hasn't even shifted in favor of the minority.

The real explanation is close to the opposite: The majority is feeling its oats. Or, more accurately, a few would-be cultural-warriors think this is the moment for the majority to feel its oats. It's part of the agenda coming out of the last election. They don't think they're losing the culture war. They think they're winning, and it's time to go on the offensive.

My festive season wish for 2005 is less sensitivity all around. "Merry Christmas" is not a sentiment that needs to be guarded against, and neither is "Happy Holidays." I wish all of you here, both.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
No it hasn't, but "what the debate between saying Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah has to do with secularism...."
is as I said. There is a huge trend, or whatever you want to call it, of secularizing everything, and it's wrong.

Ok, if that's your opinion(which I don't agree with, but that's for another thread), but this particular issue isn't an example of the secularist agenda, because Judaism isn't the same thing as Atheism or Agnosticism.

This is about the fact that the Christian holiday dominates the public realm, sometimes marginalizing the other religious holidays that take place around the same time. It's a difference in religion, not an indifference towards it.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Uh Whomod, you'll note that I never once quoted the "Christian extremists" as you call them.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Since when did whomod care what other people said? I think he's upset that this thread hasn't erupted into a flame war.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
It's Cristmas Eve (or the day of) and since I'll be damned if I spend 2 seconds of my Christmas day on the compuer. I'll wish you all a Merry Christmas, because tomorrow is the day we celebrate the birth of Jesus the Christ (regardless of the acctual date) who was fully God and Fully man and dwelt among us and though many on both sides will try to attribute thier political ideals onto him he's on nobodies side. It's up to us to decide wether we are on His as He said that He is the way the truth and the life and NOONE comes to the Father but through Him. We won't be asked on the day of judgement who we voted for or how old we believe the Earth to be. As far as works and deeds go there is only one who met the perfect standard. If you try and get in on your own you either think too highly of yourself or to lowly of God wich is why Jesus was born to walk this earth perfectly on our behalf and so that those clothed in his righousness can enter the gates of Heaven and thank God for that.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
Since when did whomod care what other people said? I think he's upset that this thread hasn't erupted into a flame war.

Funny. I thought my post took both sides to task.

As you may or may not have noticed, I didn't quote anyone here. I went to the root cause which is oversensitivity on BOTH sides. And this feeling that christianity in America is under attack is a sentiment i've read here repeatedly from several posters.

I find it amazing that in this day and age, peoples religion can still be effectively manipulated for political gain. Be it in the middle east with radical islam to here in America, where we think we're more sophiosticated than that.

THAT is no the spirit of Christmas. So again, Merry christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Holidays.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

whomod said:
I find it amazing that in this day and age, peoples religion can still be effectively manipulated for political gain. Be it in the middle east with radical islam to here in America, where we think we're more sophiosticated than that.

Yes, because we are killing people that call this time of year the Christmas season.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

I went to the root cause which is oversensitivity on BOTH sides.

Are you calling ME oversensitive? Who the hell do you think you are? I don't know if that is supposed to be a veiled attack on my personal character or my physical appearance, but I have the sneaking suspision it's both and probobly calls into question my parrentage as well, so to that I say SCREW YOU, you don't know me and if my parrents were alive to hear this they would curse your name!(my folks are alive, byt the way, they just aren't arround to hear this) Next you'll probably have something snide to say about the fact that I said (or typed) hear instead of read well, you can just....wait what were we talking about?.....hmm...... Oh yea, oversensitivity, well I think YOU are the one who's oversensitive so deal with that!

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I don't have time to get the story right now, but when I got home a while ago, I happened to catch a piece on Fox News about a school district on NJ that banned not only Christan Christmas music but ones that say Santa as well, for the Christmas concerts, so that they don't offend anyone.

Needless to say there are more than enough people outragged and filing lawsuits with the Supreme Court on behalf of their kids about that really stupid decision.

Gee, no one's banning Christmas, or should I say, Christian aspects of Christmas. riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

and on that note, I'm off, back to church to enjoy the service since I served the first 2 in the tech booth.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
since I served the first 2 in the tech booth.

damn! take pictures you mynx!

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
I don't have time to get the story right now, but when I got home a while ago, I happened to catch a piece on Fox News about a school district on NJ that banned not only Christan Christmas music but ones that say Santa as well, for the Christmas concerts, so that they don't offend anyone.

Haven't we already mentioned that Fox News might be either exaggerating these incidents, or making them up completely from scratch?

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I've seen this things reported on other sites. They are legitimate stories, but some newspapers and TV stations don't report them.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
I believe I've mentioned developing a genuine mistrust of journalists lately, so I don't take anything I see on the news at face value, no matter how many sources report it. And besides, after that article from mediamatters MEM posted, I don't think my skepticism towards the story was out of line (then again, how can I take what mediamatters says at face value?)

But if it is a true story, I repeat my earlier comment: who the heck are all these people being offended by Santa and Christmas carols and all that? None of my fellow Jews that I know are bothered by it. I've yet to hear any Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, or any other faith say that they're offended by Christmas. I know a bunch of liberals who are really into Christmas and wouldn't lift a finger against it. So who are the people supposedly blocking the Christmas stuff worried about?

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

I went to the root cause which is oversensitivity on BOTH sides.

Are you calling ME oversensitive? Who the hell do you think you are? I don't know if that is supposed to be a veiled attack on my personal character or my physical appearance, but I have the sneaking suspision it's both and probobly calls into question my parrentage as well, so to that I say SCREW YOU, you don't know me and if my parrents were alive to hear this they would curse your name!(my folks are alive, byt the way, they just aren't arround to hear this) Next you'll probably have something snide to say about the fact that I said (or typed) hear instead of read well, you can just....wait what were we talking about?.....hmm...... Oh yea, oversensitivity, well I think YOU are the one who's oversensitive so deal with that!

Bravo!

That's what i'm talking 'bout, yo!

Seriously though, merry christmas and a happy new year.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
I believe I've mentioned developing a genuine mistrust of journalists lately, so I don't take anything I see on the news at face value, no matter how many sources report it. And besides, after that article from mediamatters MEM posted, I don't think my skepticism towards the story was out of line (then again, how can I take what mediamatters says at face value?)

But if it is a true story, I repeat my earlier comment: who the heck are all these people being offended by Santa and Christmas carols and all that? None of my fellow Jews that I know are bothered by it. I've yet to hear any Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, or any other faith say that they're offended by Christmas. I know a bunch of liberals who are really into Christmas and wouldn't lift a finger against it. So who are the people supposedly blocking the Christmas stuff worried about?

It's as I said, a bunch of overly sensitive people in power are the ones behind all that crap.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
Quote:

whomod said:

Yes, because we are killing people that call this time of year the Christmas season.

No. My point was that people are allowing others to inflame their passions by using their faith and using the idea that it's somehow under attack.

As it is in the middle east against the notion of modernity encroaching on their faith so is it here with this notion of secularism being on the march against us. Which of course serves the purpouse of inflaming people to push back against this perceived threat to their core beleifs.

Holy wars? In this time of peace on earth, goodwill towards men? I don't think so.

Again, MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HANNUKAH HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG and tell the demagouges to fuck off for a week or 2.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

whomod said:
No. My point was that people are allowing others to inflame their passions by using their faith and using the idea that it's somehow under attack.

Its nowhere near the same thing. I keep forgetting that you know better than that.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Seriously though, merry christmas and a happy new year.

And to you and yours and may we all meet by and by.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
Quote:

whomod said:

Its nowhere near the same thing. I keep forgetting that you know better than that.

Exactly. We're talking about religous displays and sayings here, specifically. NOT the crap that goes on in the Middle East. and believe you me, I know better than anyone on these boards what's going on there. Or have you forgotten that I'm Middle Eastern?

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
Quote:

rex said:
Quote:

whomod said:

Exactly. We're talking about religous displays and sayings here, specifically. NOT the crap that goes on in the Middle East. and believe you me, I know better than anyone on these boards what's going on there. Or have you forgotten that I'm Middle Eastern?

It's EXACTLY the same thing.

You think that because you two aern't blowing shit up, people aern't using your religion to stoke negative passions in yourselves?

It's different degrees of the same manipulation for the political benefit of others.

Follow the faith, not those religious spokespeople who call people to arms in defense of your faith. My faith is between me and my lord. Fuck anyone and everyone else! And my not being able to wish people Merry Christmas at a public school or someone having a video shop in Afghanistan is going to change that.

I dunno..... How did Jesus' message of love get lost in all this suspicion and hating?

Geez... I dunno. Right now, my thoughts are that we, all the different faiths on earth are all being manipulated towards some great inescapable conflaguration.

Which is why I have faith in my lord but I have deep suspicion towards organized religion in general. Historically speaking, it's always been an instrument of control and conflict.

So right now, i'm gonna get to bed so I can drive to my moms house in San Berdardino tommorow. I'm going to have a nice Christmas dinner and we're going to celebrate Jesus and again and i'm going to flip the bird to FOX News which seems to be working overtime to inflame passions here at home among Christians in of all times, the time when we're celebrating the prince of peace.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Then by your reasoning, telling a kid no is the same as beating him.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts

too blessed to be stressed
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051104/ap_on_re_us/christmas_wars

Quote:

Tension Over Christmas Observance Begins

By RICHARD N. OSTLING, AP Religion Writer

It's weeks before Thanksgiving but already interest groups are preparing for an intense year of conflict over Christmas observances by cities and public schools, with one conservative group lining up hundreds of attorneys to work on the issue.

Communities and courts have long fielded protests against municipal creche displays and school Nativity pageants, based on strict views of church-state separation and sensitivity toward religious minorities.

In recent years, however, local disputes have extended — to carol singing, wordless instrumental music, Christmas trees and decorations, classroom visits by Santa Claus, distribution of Christmas-themed cards and gifts, "Merry Christmas!" greetings and designation of Christmas on official calendars.

This week, the Alliance Defense Fund, a Christian legal group based in Scottsdale, Ariz., announced that its 800 cooperating attorneys have volunteered to handle without fee complaints about "improper attempts to censor the celebration of Christmas in schools and on public property."

In 2004, the second year of its "Christmas Project," affiliated attorneys sent a detailed memo on ADF's view of Christmas and constitutional law to 7,000 school districts. The 2005 effort, already under way, adds city officials.

A similar information campaign is being waged by Liberty Counsel, another Christian legal group based in Orlando, Fla., and the Christian Educators Association International, representing 8,000 public school teachers.

The topic also is the subject of a polemic by the Fox News Channel's John Gibson that is selling briskly: "The War on Christmas: How the Liberal Plot to Ban the Sacred Christian Holiday Is Worse Than You Thought."

Gibson, who calls himself a "non-practicing Christian," notes that his Jewish son researched the book. He says agitation against Christmas observance comes primarily from "secularists, so-called humanists, trial lawyers, cultural relativists and liberal, guilt-wracked Christians."

The American Civil Liberties Union is targeted in another new book, "The ACLU vs. America: Exposing the Agenda to Redefine Moral Values" by ADF's Alan Sears and Craig Osten. The ACLU doesn't initiate all the complaints and lawsuits, the authors say, but it created the environment for widespread anti-Christmas efforts.

Even as Christmas is suppressed, these writers complain, schools sometimes encourage Ramadan, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa observances.

ACLU religion director Jeremy Gunn was in meetings and unavailable, a spokeswoman said. But an official ACLU bulletin says the Constitution forbids school observances "that promote or emphasize the religious significance" of Christmas, but not aspects "that have become part of our country's secular culture." The ACLU has repeatedly fought displays with religious themes on public property.

Under Freedom Forum First Amendment Center sponsorship, the ACLU has come to agreement with evangelical and other religious groups on minimal rules about school religious issues. On holidays, the accord says schools may celebrate secular aspects and "objectively teach about their religious aspects" but not observe them as religious events.

Americans United for Separation of Church and State also endorsed the accord.

Spokesman Rob Boston said "about 95 percent of the whining from the far right" over Christmas is for fundraising purposes. "They're trying to get people worked up so they will think Christmas is being removed from public life," Boston said. "There isn't any evidence that's happening."

Americans United believes "public schools aren't the appropriate place to celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday. That's a job for the home and the church," he said. The Supreme Court's rule that towns' Nativity displays must add secular symbols proves that if people "want a truly religious experience, city hall is not the place," Boston added.

Michael Johnson of Shreveport, La., an ADF staff lawyer, says his group merely wants to "defend the rights of the 96 percent of Americans who celebrate Christmas" and is not trying to evangelize. He thinks ACLU's goal is "ultimately to silence people of faith, and in many cases people of the Christian faith."

The Rev. Charles Nestor, an Assemblies of God minister in Lakeland, Fla., supports the legal fight. But his Web site also promotes "Operation Nativity", urging Christians to "flood the country" with Nativity displays at their homes, churches and businesses.

For further reading:

ADF: http://www.saychristmas.org

ACLU: http://www.aclu.org/ReligiousLiberty

What really bothers me about all this is that everyone involved in this still seems to be arguing based on what they THINK the other side is really saying rather than debating on what the other guys actually do say and believe.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
'O Holiday Tree, O Holiday Tree'

]Lowe's, a leading home improvement retailer, has joined Target and many other retailers that are striving to be "politically correct" this Christmas shopping season. He says the Lowe's stores are now selling fresh-cut "holiday" trees.

"The second-largest home improvement company in America no longer sells Christmas trees," he says. "They've decided that it's more politically correct to sell 'holiday' trees -- therefore their signs in front of their stores [say they] will sell you a 'holiday' tree."

Sharp calls the strategy "just another ridiculous example" of how companies are avoiding the true meaning of Christmas in their marketing in an attempt to prevent offending anyone. "[But] in reality," says Sharp, "they're offending a large base of their consumers."

He adds "this is the most ridiculous thing I believe I've heard this Christmas season, for a company to become so politically correct."

I wonder they market Menorahs as "Holiday Candle Holders"?

2500+ posts
2500+ posts

I asked this lst year, and I'm asking it this year - why do these people think non-Christians will be offended by Christmas? I've never known any of my fellow Jews to make a big deal out of being wished "Merry Christmas."

As long as nobody's trying to convert us or impose their holidays on us, we don't have a problem. Come to think of it, I've never heard ANY group come out and say "Saying Merry Christmas (or anything else you can think of, like Christmas trees) offends people!"

So where the hell are people getting this from that makes them think they have to sell holiday trees instead of Christmas trees, or that they're not allowed to say "Merry Christmas?"

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Some people just need stupid things to complain about.

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
'O Holiday Tree, O Holiday Tree'

]Lowe's, a leading home improvement retailer, has joined Target and many other retailers that are striving to be "politically correct" this Christmas shopping season. He says the Lowe's stores are now selling fresh-cut "holiday" trees.

"The second-largest home improvement company in America no longer sells Christmas trees," he says. "They've decided that it's more politically correct to sell 'holiday' trees -- therefore their signs in front of their stores [say they] will sell you a 'holiday' tree."

Sharp calls the strategy "just another ridiculous example" of how companies are avoiding the true meaning of Christmas in their marketing in an attempt to prevent offending anyone. "[But] in reality," says Sharp, "they're offending a large base of their consumers."

He adds "this is the most ridiculous thing I believe I've heard this Christmas season, for a company to become so politically correct."

I wonder they market Menorahs as "Holiday Candle Holders"?

You have a tremendous grasp of the obvious, G-man. The end of December never has been an exclusive Christian holiday. So take the knot out of your T-strap and relax. For the record, as a Pagan I have no problem with 'Christmas'. It sounds so much better than Saturnalia or Dies Natalis Invicti Solis.

The Winter Solstice

Quote:

December 25 is the winter solstice (Julian Calendar). It is the time when the sun after having been at the lowest point in the heavens, beings to rise over the world with renewed vigor and power. It was the time of heathen festivities in worship of the sun. The vernal equinox is the point where the sun crosses the celetial equator, about March 20, making day and night of equal length everywhere. This was the time of pagan spring festivals.

The day of December 25 acquired a new significance under the rule of Emperor Aurelian. He proclaimed this day as "Dies Natalis Invicti Solis," or the Birthday of the Unconquered Sun. This was because of a strange Eastern religion, Mithraism, whose god Mithras was identified with the Unconquered Sun. During the Saturnalia work of every kind ceased. Schools were closed.

Saturn, in whose honor this feast was held, was the oldest and most benign deity in ancient Italy and was fabled to have reigned during the Golden Age. This was conceived by the Romans as an era in which plenty abounded and nothing had appeared to corrupt and mar the peace and happiness of mankind. But since that time the world had gone from bad to worse. The lust of gold and the lust of blood had brought disastrous evils. The dream of an Age of Gold was widespread in the pre-Christian world. The Greeks taught men to think of it as followed by the Silver, Bronze, and Iron Ages. These ages marked the steady declension and degeneration of mankind. But they looked for the eventual return of a Gold Era. This spirit of Gentile expectancy was that of a millenial, and King Saturn would reign.

As the Saturnalia returned each year it brought with it thoughts of the peaceful reign of Saturn long, long ago, when all men were happy and all men were good.

The Roman Saturnalia was boisterous. But whatever the behavior of some Romans, others were simply merry. They ate big dinners, visited their friends, etc. The halls of the Romans were decked with boughs of laurel and of green trees, with lighted candles and with lamps--for the hovering spirits of darkness were afraid of light. Bonfires were lit in high places to strengthen the reviving sun in his course. Candles and green wreaths were given as presents, the streets were crowded with noisy processions of men and women carrying lighted tapers, and public places were decked with flowers and shrubs. The practice of giving and receiving presents was almost as common then as it is now at Christmas. Our present day "Christmas spirit" is actually the spirit of this old Roman festival.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You see, this is the funny part about the date-changing argument. While there are hundreds of pre-Constantine calenders that denote the birth of Christ being in Dec. 25, there has been neigh to no evidence indicating that the pagan holiday was even in December. I'm not saying the Pagans didn't convert over the holiday, but I find that there's more evidence that they conformed to the Catholic holiday date more than the Church did theirs.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
You see, this is the funny part about the date-changing argument. While there are hundreds of pre-Constantine calenders that denote the birth of Christ being in Dec. 25, there has been neigh to no evidence indicating that the pagan holiday was even in December. I'm not saying the Pagans didn't convert over the holiday, but I find that there's more evidence that they conformed to the Catholic holiday date more than the Church did theirs.

What I find interesting is that Hannukah, which usually coincides with Christmas (or what we know as Christmas today), begins on the 25th of the Hebrew month of Kislev.

It's a heck of a coincidence that two holidays in the same time period occur on the same day of their prospective months.

Or is it?

At this point, I'm not engaging in anything other than idle speculation and posting something that popped into my head. I plan to look into this in detail when I have the opportunity. I'm curious to see whether this either is a coincidence, or if one influenced the other.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Very odd. At my Target it says Christmas tree on the boxes. Another stunt by the mulleted marketers infiltrating the right on behalf of the Walton family?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Quote:

Pariah said:

What I find interesting is that Hannukah, which usually coincides with Christmas (or what we know as Christmas today), begins on the 25th of the Hebrew month of Kislev.

It's a heck of a coincidence that two holidays in the same time period occur on the same day of their prospective months.

Or is it?

At this point, I'm not engaging in anything other than idle speculation and posting something that popped into my head. I plan to look into this in detail when I have the opportunity. I'm curious to see whether this either is a coincidence, or if one influenced the other.

well i know that the actual date of christ's birth is unknown or lost (assuming he existed at all, but that's not that point here). It was Constantine the first Christian emperor of Rome who decided to place a celebration for Christ on the winter solstice. This was to make the transition from paganism to christianity easier as they were already used to celebrating on that day anyway.
Historians think Constantine may have been less of a convert and more the wise ruler. He saw that Christianity was on the rise and would overtake pagans. So he introduced Christianity through Pagan imagery. Such as his seeing a vision of Jesus in the Sun (Sun God being a major God to the Pagans, and thus seen as an endorsement).

Anyway, that's all I remember from the documentary I saw. To learn more visit your local library. Or wait for Pariah to tell you how I'm wrong and that slavery is good for society.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
well i know that the actual date of christ's birth is unknown or lost (assuming he existed at all, but that's not that point here). It was Constantine the first Christian emperor of Rome who decided to place a celebration for Christ on the winter solstice. This was to make the transition from paganism to christianity easier as they were already used to celebrating on that day anyway.
Historians think Constantine may have been less of a convert and more the wise ruler. He saw that Christianity was on the rise and would overtake pagans. So he introduced Christianity through Pagan imagery. Such as his seeing a vision of Jesus in the Sun (Sun God being a major God to the Pagans, and thus seen as an endorsement).

Anyway, that's all I remember from the documentary I saw. To learn more visit your local library. Or wait for Pariah to tell you how I'm wrong and that slavery is good for society.

Notice how r3x ignores my assertion and goes straight for "Historians say" and "documentary I saw".

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Notice how r3x ignores my assertion and goes straight for "Historians say" and "documentary I saw".

I ignore your posts 90% of the time now. I only look at them really when you're quoting me.

Bow ties are coool.
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
He's so vain, he probably thinks this post is about him.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Doesn't he?
Doesn't he?
DOESN'T HE!

(all apologies to Ms. Simon and Mr. Reznor)

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
I ignore your posts 90% of the time now. I only look at them really when you're quoting me.

Notice how r3x didn't take the time to quote his sources after I pointed out his stupidity.

I s'pose he's just tired of being own3d.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
You were doing so well until you shot yourself in the foot.

It's Pwn3d, dude. Get it right.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:

A wise old Jesuit priest once told me that the entire myth of the Nativity of Christ was culled from Old Testament prophecies. When the first of the Gospels was written there was no one around that would actually remember the event so they put together this story. Like the OT says the Messiah would be born in Bethlaham despite all indication that he was a Galilean. No one knows the exact day or year he was born since there were no records of such things kept. The Jesuit went on to cite all the OT passages that made up the myth. But what would he know. He was just a Jesuit after all and we know how stupid they are, right Pariah?

For some reason Pariah wants you to believe that despite millinea of observation people hadn't noticed noticed the winter solistice. Imagine all those wasted tax dollars spent on building observatories that aligned with that event. Why would ancient people want to celebrate the return of the light? Beats me.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
A wise old Jesuit priest once told me that the entire myth of the Nativity of Christ was culled from Old Testament prophecies. When the first of the Gospels was written there was no one around that would actually remember the event so they put together this story. Like the OT says the Messiah would be born in Bethlaham despite all indication that he was a Galilean. No one knows the exact day or year he was born since there were no records of such things kept. The Jesuit went on to cite all the OT passages that made up the myth. But what would he know. He was just a Jesuit after all and we know how stupid they are, right Pariah?

Riiiiight. You really expect any of us to believe that you think a Catholic priest is "wise".

Sure MagicJay, suuuuuurre.

You're gonna have to do better than a word of mouth chance encounter with a "Jesuit priest".

No Jesuit I have ever spoken to--And trust me, I've spoken to plenty--Has ever considered anything within the Old Testament as myth. No real Catholic would since that's exactly what the religion entails.

Last edited by Pariah; 2005-11-24 4:13 AM.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

Riiiiight. You really expect any of us to believe that you think a Catholic priest is "wise".

Sure MagicJay, suuuuuurre.

You're gonna have to do better than a word of mouth chance encounter with a "Jesuit priest".

No Jesuit I have ever spoken to--And trust me, I've spoken to plenty--Has ever considered anything within the Old Testament as myth. No real Catholic would since that's exactly what the religion entails.

The Jesuit was a friend and I spoke with him many times. He was a very bright guy and a college math professor as well.

I don't have a problem with Catholics in general. It's you in particular. And when did you become Pope?

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard