Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
Maybe you just came across differently. I dunno. Sometimes I misread subtleties - which is understandable since all we have to go on is words somebody else types.

Yeah I wasn't very clear. So is abstinence education the only thing on the table? Anybody for radically changing things. If so, what?

Fair play!
200+ posts
200+ posts
Abstinence is easy when no one wants to fuck you, innit?

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." - George W. Bush State of the Union speech Jan 28, 2003 "mission accomplished" - George W. Bush May 2, 2003 It does not require a majority to prevail but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds". Samuel Adams said that. Pretty deep for a guy that makes beer for a living - The Boondocks "A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead" - Leo C. Rosten
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

I'm Not Mister Mxypltk said:
It's obvious that abstinence is safer than using condoms, but is the percentage big enough to make a considerable difference? Don't condoms protect you like 99.9% of the time? There's a small chance of contracting the disease, but that small chance always exists,--

Your guestimated percentage aside, there is less chance with condoms. But whatever the circumstances, there's still a lot less chance....

Quote:

--even with people who practice abstinence, because of cases like blood transfusions and the like.

With this.

So please, stop trying to make one sound just as good as the other, because that's patently false.

Pariah #398611 2005-02-15 2:32 PM
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I made a simple question. Does that a lot constitute a big enough percentage to make a considerable difference? I don't think so. Using condoms is not technically just as good as abstinence, but practically it is. The only big difference is that one "offends God" and the other doesn't, which is your real motivation.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

I made a simple question. Does that a lot constitute a big enough percentage to make a considerable difference? I don't think so. Using condoms is not technically just as good as abstinence, but practically it is. The only big difference is that one "offends God" and the other doesn't, which is your real motivation.

Condoms can fail. They can break. They can't be near as safe as abstinence.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
What's the failure percentage, is what I'm asking.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Probably over 10% depending on the brand.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Also there are condoms out there that offer no protection from HIV, it's just there to prevent conception of a child.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
This is from a most-likely biased source but if true it's interesting:

USAID refuses to release report that shows abstinence works in HIV prevention

Washington DC, Feb. 15, 2005 (CNA) - The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) has shelved a study that highlights the effectiveness of abstinence education in reducing HIV infection and has commissioned a second study to a researcher known to advocate condom distribution instead.

Focus on the Family has urged key members of Congress to look into why a government health agency, charged with dispersing funds to HIV-prevention efforts in Africa, is contradicting Bush administration policy that supports abstinence education.

The issue is examined in depth in the March issue of Focus on the Family’s Citizen Magazine, which has been mailed to hundreds of senators and congressmen. The cover story, titled "Burying the Truth," examines the research being suppressed, which was conducted by Harvard scientist Edward C. Green, a self-described "secular liberal."

the G-man #398617 2005-02-15 10:40 PM
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
This state of affairs is ridiculous; these stupid power struggles that go on between individuals or organisations pushing a political or moral agenda beggar belief. They cost lives too.

Safe sex education needs to reach as many people as possible which means that it has to stick with the facts – no moralising or philosophy – when you begin venturing down that road you lose people. It has to spell out accepted medical truths in as blunt and simple fashion as is possible.

By sticking with teaching the facts - you represent all perspectives but you so in an objective way.

Furthermore you have people’s trust. They know you are not bullshitting them. If people think that the safe sex information they are receiving is hitched to some kind of moral agenda and they don’t happen to agree with that agenda then they will not listen. You have to give as much factual information as is possible.

The fact remains if you abstain from sex then your chances of catching an STD are dramatically reduced.

If you choose to have sex but make correct use of a condom while you are not completely free from the risk of infection your chances of catching something are minimal.

If you have unprotected sex with multiple partners you are placing yourself and others at a high risk.

At the heart of safe sex is simple common sense knowledge that everyone knows.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

I made a simple question. Does that a lot constitute a big enough percentage to make a considerable difference? I don't think so. Using condoms is not technically just as good as abstinence, but practically it is.

Mxy, don't be the ignorant slut you love to dress yourself up to be. What do you think you're closer to when you're having sex as opposed to not having sex? In which situation do you think those 90 some percent chances will start to waver?

Quote:

The only big difference is that one "offends God" and the other doesn't, which is your real motivation.

Get off your high horse already. You act like I think AIDS is a convenient excuse for me to peddle my beliefs, and its not........It's a convenient excuse for me to say, "I told ya so!" to stubborn fuckwits.

Anywho, we've been over this before. Just because I started off on this 'no sex' tangent cuz' of God, doesn't mean I stay with it solely cuz' of Him--And that sure as hell doesn't suddenly invalidate my other arguments.

Pariah #398619 2005-02-16 5:21 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Abstinence is 100 percent effective but teens loaded with hormones & a lack of maturity are not all going to practice abstinence. That 99. whatever percent that a condom has is better odds on prom night.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You know what, I'm not gonna tolerate those 'teens aren't gonna abide it' arguments. Let them have their condoms, fine. But make sure to scare the hell out of em' with AIDS if possible. Teens today aren't stupid and that's one of the reasons why I don't find what you say to be useful, but here's to hoping after you show them enough pictures of victims with sypholis and AIDS.

Pariah #398621 2005-02-16 12:07 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
So there is an Abstinence Program with 100% success rate? I grew up in a strict Catholic rural area. Abstinence was preached, birth control was bad & we saw lots of nasty VD pics in Health class. Kids still had sex. Heck even my folks told each of us kids that if we performed those adult activities we would be immediatley be out of the house. I was the only one who followed through on that

Fair play!
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
There was one well publicised campaign that initially appeared to be successful as kids waited longer before having sex (though most gave in to the urge before marriage). However STDs and prgnancies experienced an insignificant drop because of the enfored ignorance.

Just as our current system is too far on one side, the abstinence program was too far on the other.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
So there is an Abstinence Program with 100% success rate? I grew up in a strict Catholic rural area. Abstinence was preached, birth control was bad & we saw lots of nasty VD pics in Health class. Kids still had sex. Heck even my folks told each of us kids that if we performed those adult activities we would be immediatley be out of the house. I was the only one who followed through on that

You must not have read a thing I said.

Your implication that condoms themselves have a high success rate as opposed to abstinece programs isn't a very good crutch. Just so's you know. Hell, I was in a Catholic community and visted Catholic schools and the abstinence program was highly successful. Just goes to show you that basing this off of singular events is rather flawed.

Last edited by Pariah; 2005-02-16 10:07 PM.
Pariah #398624 2005-02-17 12:26 AM
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

I made a simple question. Does that a lot constitute a big enough percentage to make a considerable difference? I don't think so. Using condoms is not technically just as good as abstinence, but practically it is.

Mxy, don't be the ignorant slut you love to dress yourself up to be. What do you think you're closer to when you're having sex as opposed to not having sex? In which situation do you think those 90 some percent chances will start to waver?

Quote:

The only big difference is that one "offends God" and the other doesn't, which is your real motivation.

Get off your high horse already. You act like I think AIDS is a convenient excuse for me to peddle my beliefs, and its not........It's a convenient excuse for me to say, "I told ya so!" to stubborn fuckwits.

Anywho, we've been over this before. Just because I started off on this 'no sex' tangent cuz' of God, doesn't mean I stay with it solely cuz' of Him--And that sure as hell doesn't suddenly invalidate my other arguments.

Calm down man, I admit I was wrong about the safety of condoms themselves... I had the wrong idea and I admit it.

But what about having a stable sex partner, one you can really trust to be clean from any STDs? What would be your basis for being against that as I'm assuming you are?

Or, let's put it this way, what if an anti-conceptive 100% effective was invented... would you still be against it, and why?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

But what about having a stable sex partner, one you can really trust to be clean from any STDs? What would be your basis for being against that as I'm assuming you are?

I'm speaking from a purely secular view point right now. So I don't have a problem with it.

Quote:

Or, let's put it this way, what if an anti-conceptive 100% effective was invented... would you still be against it, and why?

I wouldn't be against it. I'd just be against more confidence being put in it rather than abstinence.

Pariah #398626 2005-02-17 4:55 PM
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I'm glad. The church probably wouldn't be as open-minded as you, though.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Which church?

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
The one that doesn't like premarital sex.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
From Newsweek:

News that a gay meth user in New York who had hundreds of unsafe sexual encounters may carry a virulent, drug-resistant strain of HIV has forced health officials and gay community leaders to take a sobering look at the growing role crystal methamphetamine is playing in the spread of AIDS. Doctors are unsure whether the new strain is an isolated case or the precursor of a deadly new wave of HIV. But it's clear that a dangerous nexus has formed between the nation's two big epidemics: AIDS and methamphetamine abuse.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Winnie Mandela Preaches Abstinence

Winnie Madikizela-Mandela has come out firmly and vehemently in favour of sexual abstinence as the only efficient way to fight the spread of Aids.

Speaking at the International Conference on Aids and Sexually Transmitted Infections in Africa (ICASA) in Abuja, Nigeria, on Thursday, Madikizela-Mandela said: "We just have to tell our children to abstain. That's the only way we will prevent Aids as mothers on the continent.

"And we tell our daughters it's a very simple remedy, it's called abstinence."

I'm transginger
25+ posts
I'm transginger
25+ posts
"We just have to tell our children to abstain. That's the only way we will prevent Aids as mothers on the continent."

"And we tell our daughters it's a very simple remedy, it's called abstinence."

Ah, well gee whiz, you think so? Let's invent a new way to change the channel without getting out of our sofas while we're on the subject of innovation, Einstein!

Seriously, you guys. If some ex lady friend called me up and said "I have AIDS," I'd be like "Hey! You get your skanky infestated bitch ass back to the doctor and get you some band-AIDS."

Nobody notices what I have in my front pocket: A little surprise for them all. We'll find out today at recess, won't we?
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
New York Times Magazine:

What is a price?

Unless you're an economist, you probably think of a price as simply the amount you pay for a given thing.

But to an economist, price is a much broader concept. The 20 minutes you spend waiting for a table is part of the price (of a meal in a restaurant for example). There are moral and social costs to tally as well - for instance, the look of scorn delivered by your vegan dining partner as you order the burger. While the restaurant's menu may list the price of the cheeseburger at $7.95, that is clearly just the beginning.

The most fundamental rule of economics is that a rise in price leads to less quantity demanded. This holds true for a restaurant meal, a real-estate deal, a college education or just about anything else you can think of. When the price of an item rises, you buy less of it (which is not to say, of course, that you want less of it).

But what about sex? Sex, that most irrational of human pursuits, couldn't possibly respond to rational price theory, could it?

Outside of a few obvious situations, we generally don't think about sex in terms of prices. Prostitution is one such situation; courtship is another: certain men seem to consider an expensive dinner a prudent investment in pursuit of a sexual dividend.

But how might price changes affect sexual behavior? And might those changes have something to tell us about the nature of sex itself?

Here is a stark example: A man who is sent to prison finds that the price of sex with a woman has spiked - talk about a supply shortage - and he becomes much more likely to start having sex with men. The reported prevalence of oral sex among affluent American teenagers would also seem to illustrate price theory: because of the possibility of disease or pregnancy, intercourse is expensive - and it has come to be seen by some teenagers as an unwanted and costly pledge of commitment. In this light, oral sex may be viewed as a cheaper alternative.

In recent decades, we have witnessed the most exorbitant new price associated with sex: the H.I.V. virus. Because AIDS is potentially deadly and because it can be spread relatively easily by sex between two men, the onset of AIDS in the early 1980's caused a significant increase in the price of gay sex.

While the use of a condom greatly reduces the risk of contracting AIDS, a condom is, of course, yet another cost associated with sex. In a study of Mexican prostitution, the Berkeley economist Paul Gertler and two co-authors showed that when a client requested sex without a condom, a prostitute was typically paid a 24 percent premium over her standard fee.

Andrew Francis, a graduate student in economics at the University of Chicago, has tried to affix a dollar figure to this change. Francis, in a draft paper titled "The Economics of Sexuality," tries to go well beyond dollar figures. He puts forth an empirical argument that may fundamentally challenge how people think about sex.

As with any number of behaviors that social scientists try to measure, sex is a tricky subject. But Francis discovered a data set that offered some intriguing possibilities. The National Health and Social Life Survey, sponsored by the U.S. government and a handful of foundations, asked almost 3,500 people a rather astonishing variety of questions about sex: the different sexual acts received and performed and with whom and when; questions about sexual preference and identity; whether they knew anyone with AIDS. As with any self-reported data, there was the chance that the survey wasn't reliable, but it had been designed to ensure anonymity and generate honest replies.

The survey was conducted in 1992, when the disease was much less treatable than it is today. Francis first looked to see if there was a positive correlation between having a friend with AIDS and expressing a preference for homosexual sex. As he expected, there was. "After all, people pick their friends," he says, "and homosexuals are more likely to have other homosexuals as friends."

But you don't get to pick your family. So Francis next looked for a correlation between having a relative with AIDS and expressing a homosexual preference. This time, for men, the correlation was negative. This didn't seem to make sense. Many scientists believe that a person's sexual orientation is determined before birth, a function of genetic fate. If anything, people in the same family should be more likely to share the same orientation. "Then I realized, Oh, my God, they were scared of AIDS," Francis says.

Francis zeroed in on this subset of about 150 survey respondents who had a relative with AIDS. Because the survey compiled these respondents' sexual histories as well as their current answers about sex, it allowed Francis to measure, albeit crudely, how their lives may have changed as a result of having seen up close the costly horrors of AIDS.

Here's what he found: Not a single man in the survey who had a relative with AIDS said he had had sex with a man in the previous five years; not a single man in that group declared himself to be attracted to men or to consider himself homosexual. Women in that group also shunned sex with men. For them, rates of recent sex with women and of declaring homosexual identity and attraction were more than twice as high as those who did not have a relative with AIDS.

Because the sample size was so small - simple chance suggests that no more than a handful of men in a group that size would be attracted to men - it is hard to reach definitive conclusions from the survey data. (Obviously, not every single man changes his sexual behavior or identity when a relative contracts AIDS.) But taken as a whole, the numbers in Francis's study suggest that there may be a causal effect here - that having a relative with AIDS may change not just sexual behavior but also self-reported identity and desire.

In other words, sexual preference, while perhaps largely predetermined, may also be subject to the forces more typically associated with economics than biology. If this turns out to be true, it would change the way that everyone - scientists, politicians, theologians - thinks about sexuality. But it probably won't much change the way economists think. To them, it has always been clear: whether we like it or not, everything has its price.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Or they could just remain celebate.

Good luck with that.

I don't need luck.........Yeah.

Pariah #398634 2006-02-14 3:51 PM
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Or they could just remain celebate.

Good luck with that.

I don't need luck.........Yeah.

Yeah, no one wants to not have sex.

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Abstinance is not an option. Just say YES, but always play safe!

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts

I had no idea we humans lacked the self-control to practice abstinence.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
does abstinence mean Rex can't use a sock???

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

I had no idea we humans lacked the self-control to practice abstinence.

But why would anyone desire such a thing? The nice thing about that kind of thinking is the bastards that think it aren't likely to reproduce! Give in to your lust - see where it will take you!

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Not all the consequences of poor sexual self-control are physical. I prefer not trivializing my capacity for physical and emotional intimacy, thank you.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
Not all the consequences of poor sexual self-control are physical. I prefer not trivializing my capacity for physical and emotional intimacy, thank you.

Apparently you're not interested in expanding that capacity either. A single scoop of vanilla for the Cap'n, please.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
When I see an inadequacy in my capacity for intimacy, I'll be willing to look into ways of changing that. Personally, I'm not adequately dissatisfied with my personal life to take chances that are just as likely to ruin it as to improve it.

I'd like to point out that I'm not the one instructing you on how to conduct your personal life.

Last edited by Captain Sammitch; 2006-02-15 11:07 PM.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Take that 1950's society!

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
When I see an inadequacy in my capacity for intimacy, I'll be willing to look into ways of changing that. Personally, I'm not adequately dissatisfied with my personal life to take chances that are just as likely to ruin it as to improve it.

I'd like to point out that I'm not the one instructing you on how to conduct your personal life.

I hate it when those that are sexually disabled act sanctimonius about their "purity". We have a lot in common Cap'n. Neither of us cares about sex. You care so little you don't do it with anyone. I care so little I'll do it with everyone. Excepting G-man and Pariah of course.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'll try to contain my disappointment.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said [emphasis added]:
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

I hate it when those that are sexually disabled act sanctimonius about their "purity". We have a lot in common Cap'n. Neither of us cares about sex. You care so little you don't do it with anyone. I care so little I'll do it with everyone. Excepting G-man and Pariah of course.

What in the flying FUCK are you talking about? Sexually disabled? You don't know me! I choose what I do - I have the options. One might wonder if it's not some sort of psychological or emotional dysfunction to show absolutely no restraint.

Maybe you should stop being so intolerant of others' sexual choices.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

Maybe you should stop being so intolerant of others' sexual choices.

I will if you will!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard