15000+ posts
OP Offline
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
azcentral.com

Prof to study why women flashed breasts at hockey fans
Jan. 20, 2005 05:51 PM

Canadian Press

CALGARY - A study into why women flashed crowds of Calgary Flames fans during last year's NHL playoffs should shed light on current Canadian attitudes about female nudity, says a Calgary professor.

"There are gender role issues here," said Mary Valentich, of the University of Calgary's Faculty of Social Work.

"These women are doing something unconventional and yet they're using the traditional sexual route to express whatever they're expressing."

She said Ontario student Gwen Jacobs started the ball rolling in 1991 when she was convicted of indecency for walking bare-breasted down a street in Guelph, Ont. She was protesting the inequality of a law that allowed men to take their shirts off in public and not women.

Five years later the Ontario Appeal Court reversed her conviction.

"It took Gwen Jacobs in Ontario to protest by taking off her shirt on a hot summer day and she had five years of legal troubles," said Valentich.

At a sex research forum last fall, Valentich heard a report on Canadian attitudes towards female toplessness that suggested that while most Canadians were comfortable with women baring their breasts at the beach, they were ill at ease when it was done on the street.

Further proof that Canadians are still favouring a more Victorian attitude about female toplessness came from a handful of phone calls Valentich received from the Calgary public.

"Certainly I've received my share of nasty phone calls already about even wanting to ask women what their experience was like," chuckled Valentich.

"There are clearly prohibitions in Canadian society about even talking about matters that are sexual. Think about women that are breastfeeding (in public) - there are still people who are invariably upset and are uncomfortable about this," she said.

Valentich is seeking women who flashed crowds of fans last spring along Calgary's famous Red Mile - the site of huge parties and celebrations as the Calgary Flames marched into the Stanley Cup final.

When Valentich was questioned by reporters about the behaviour of the women, she realized she didn't have any answers.

"I finally thought this is unfair to the women. I need to be able to have better data to respond more accurately," Valentich said.

The research will be released at the World Congress of Sexology being held in Montreal in July.

There are several possible scenarios as to why these women were lifting their tops including peer pressure, said Valentich who spent a bit of time on the Red Mile herself last year.

"Some women didn't do it so clearly there are still lines that were drawn. Some women chose to cross over the boundary - others didn't. What was the difference?", she said.

There is also the question of whether there were any short or long term consequences from the act and whether the booze and party atmosphere played a role.

"People mention drinking almost invariably, but I would say there's a lot of drinking going on in a lot of circles and people don't always engage in this kind of behaviour," said Valentich.

The professor declined to say how many women have contacted her to take part in the anonymous study so far, but she needs between 10 and 15 participants.

Valentich said women have flashed their breasts at folk festivals and other musical events in the past, but it is not an activity usually associated with hockey.

"We need to hear from women what was happening to them in that particular setting," she said.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
i don't care why, where's the fuckin' pictures!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quote:

Steve T said:
i don't care why, where's the fuckin' pictures!

well spoken

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
titties all day

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

Fused said:
titties all day

amen!

The Leg Breakerer: Kung Fu Masta!!!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Is this something that needs to be studied? Can't we just accept and enjoy it?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
ZOD Offline
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
BEER!!!

Behold! The sabered Head of Uschi shall give death to Zod's enemies! CLICK and know DEATH! KNEEL before ZOD!!!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
Is this something that needs to be studied? Can't we just accept and enjoy it?

This is something that must be studied.

It is something that must be studied so we can get more women with A+ bazookas to flash themselves at hockey games.

It is something that must be studied so we can get more women with A+ bazookas to flash themselves everywhere.

It is something that must be studied so we can stop women with F- bazookas from flashing themselves everywhere.

Yes, for the sake of America--NAY! THE WORLD--this study must go on!

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Where do I sign up?

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
It is something that must be studied so we can stop women with F- bazookas from flashing themselves everywhere.

Good point. I've seen some nasty titties at concerts.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.

Link Copied to Clipboard