Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
This looks like a product of the 90's. Personally I think it should be called LoonatiX.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
The guy behind 8-Bit Theater has recently shared his thoughts on the subject here.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:

The thing that scares me is that at some point these will probably become Happy Meal toys.
Would you want your kids playing with those spiky evil things?

Bringing a little order to message boards everywhere!
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Balloon-poppers.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
One of the posters at Aint It Cool News claims:

Just seen on ABC news of a small kidd being shown a picture of the New Bugs Bunny and he was asked who it was, his reply was "its an Evil Bugs Bunny"(did i chuckle) Bet WB marketing are looking for a poor sap to be a scapegoat allready.

ZOD Offline
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
ZOD better not get a redesign! ZOD is happy looking the way he looks!

Behold! The sabered Head of Uschi shall give death to Zod's enemies! CLICK and know DEATH! KNEEL before ZOD!!!
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I found this at a thread in the Oddball Comics section at the CBR Forums. Buzz makes a good point:

Quote:

Buzz Dixon said (at CBR Forums):
Y'know, some things are just...over.

LITTLE NEMO IN SLUMBERLAND was a classic example of the American comic strip.

It's over.

WHIZ comics and the affiliate Marvel Family titles were great super-hero comics.

They're over.

THE SHADOW was the great pulp magazine and/or radio show ever.

It's o.v.e.r.

There's nothing wrong with having fond nostaligia for the things that entertained us as kids, or to recognize worthy accomplishments of the past. Old material and old art forms can still be entertaining to modern audiences.

But they're over.

Nothing lasts forever; everything has a life cycle. Some intellectual properties can stay fresh for a long, long time and stage effective comebacks before fading away.

But sooner or later they're all over.

This is especially true for visual and musical media (print and dramatic media has an advantage; a good concept, strong characters can keep a property going in ancillary venues long after the original property in the original medium is passe' viz TARZAN and THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA). Case in point: I love Laurel and Hardy, I think they're the funniest comedy duo in history, but they are over. Anybody who discovers them today discovers them as celluloid fossils, not as vibrant contemporary performers.

Bugs had a long run.

But he's over. Everybody has seen every Bugs Bunny cartoon they want to see; there is nothing new to be said in the Bugs Bunny universe. Nobody is looking for new Bugs material -- they're looking for FRUITS BASKET and GET FUZZY and KIM POSSIBLE (and some of those may have already started their inevitable declines but that fact won't be obvious for a few months or years yet).

I'm not saying this to be cold or indifferent: You're talking to somebody who considers himself a historian and connisseur of pop cultre and I dearly love silent movies, 1950s West coast jazz, Republic serials, Merrie Melodies, MGM musicals, and George Pal sci-fi movies.

But they're over.

I begrudge no one their pleasure. But some things are just plain ol' over and no amount of fond memories of wishful executive thinking will ever bring them back.

I wonder whether this thought ever crosses the minds of the editors at DC and Marvel in regards to their more antiquated properties?

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
I wonder whether this thought ever crosses the minds of the editors at DC and Marvel in regards to their more antiquated properties?

Probably too afraid to think about it.

I like what the guy said. We hold on to things for too long. Look at most of our sitcoms. They go on for far too long.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That's an interesting theory.

In fact, I think a strong argument could be made that Bugs, etc., were really so imbued with the personality of their creators (Robert McKimson, Chuck Jones, etc.) that, with those men gone, it is impossible to recreate that magic.

It's sort of like trying to bring back "Calvin" without Bill Watterson. Sometimes a character and creator are too interdependent to let the character live on past the creator.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I just showed this pic to my 5 year old nephew.

He asked what it was and I told him it was the new looney tunes. He called me a liar and pushed it away. I think that pretty much proves what we all think.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
How does that prove boobs in any way, rex?

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Well, you could call the guy that came up with this a boob.

All hail King Snarf!

希望の戦士
2000+ posts
希望の戦士
2000+ posts
I don't agree with Buzz Dixon. Just because HE'S been blessed with a timeframe that allowed him to see every Bugs Bunny and Laurel & Hardy & other "fossils" doesn't mean everyone else has. People die, but people are also born, so there's always a first time for them to watch something and like it, whether or not it's the next big thing.

Does he think everybody's seen Casablanca?
Does he think everybody knows about Martin & Lewis?
Does he think everybody knows Bugs Bunny's square dance by heart (from "Hilbilly Hare")?
Does he think none of my customers laugh when I blurt out Abbott & Costello jokes?

And sure, Mel Blanc, Jim Henson, Chuck Jones, Walt Disney, and others are gone, but there will always be exceptional/unique people in the future.

Timeless classics, indeed... in fact, I just remembered one... CLEEEEEEEK!

Last edited by McGurk; 2005-02-23 4:02 AM.
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
meh, i can't say i hate it.

i mean, looney tunes, the originals, were genius. but, as has been mentioned above, they've sorta lived out their welcome. any revival in the past 10, 15... 20 years has been nothing but a pale comparison of what they were 10, 15, 20 years before that. voices weren't right, jokes weren't right... plain and simple, it wasn't "looney tunes"

so whats wrong with this? whats wrong with taking a totally new and fresh and unabashedly different stance on the same ole same ole?

sure, i could probably guarantee you right now that these sharp n'pointy lil critters will be nowhere near as fun or great as the originals. but that, alone, doesn't inherently make them wrong. no moreso than tiny toons.

the originals will always be just that: original. and, as promised, they'll always be on tv in some format (just as i love lucy and the honeymooners and every other golden oldie still is)

give the newbies a chance.

giant picture
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Rob, you're wrong. The reason Animaniacs worked is that it was something new, yet stayed true to the spirit of Bugs & Co. These "Loonatics" are neither.

All hail King Snarf!

Asshole Extraordinaire
100+ posts
Asshole Extraordinaire
100+ posts
Yeah!

completely retarded and socially irredeemable fuckface

Post Infinite Crisis Zero Hour Ultimate Jaburg53:As seen on Google©

RACK MisterJLA
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
Rob, you're wrong. The reason Animaniacs worked is that it was something new, yet stayed true to the spirit of Bugs & Co. These "Loonatics" are neither.

that... doesn't make sense.

animaniacs was fantastic. and, i'll agree, one of the reasons it worked so well was because it was a breath of fresh air and a great new direction, yet harkened back to the original looney tunes that started it off, sure.

but thats not the only reason it worked, nor is that the only way something can work. that theory doesn't have to apply to every other cartoon for it to be a success, nor does it apply to every other succesful cartoon. despite being an off shoot of animaniacs, "pinky and the brain" was entirely unique and seperate, but fantastic.

to me, tiny tunes and loonatics are the same type of distortions of the original looney tunes, that may, or may not, be succesful.

i hated tiny toons. i might hate loonatics. but i'll give it a shot.

giant picture
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
We puke on tiny tunes.

Asshole Extraordinaire
100+ posts
Asshole Extraordinaire
100+ posts
We really disliked it.

completely retarded and socially irredeemable fuckface

Post Infinite Crisis Zero Hour Ultimate Jaburg53:As seen on Google©

RACK MisterJLA
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
TT did have a great Batman movie parody, though.

200+ posts
200+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
I just showed this pic to my 5 year old nephew.

He asked what it was and I told him it was the new looney tunes. He called me a liar and pushed it away. I think that pretty much proves what we all think.

That no one likes you much?

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." - George W. Bush State of the Union speech Jan 28, 2003 "mission accomplished" - George W. Bush May 2, 2003 It does not require a majority to prevail but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds". Samuel Adams said that. Pretty deep for a guy that makes beer for a living - The Boondocks "A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead" - Leo C. Rosten
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I did like Hamton as Decoy, the Boy Wonder.

All hail King Snarf!

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Rob! Don't you work for Time Warner...?

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I think I understand what you mean, Danny, but how is Rob going to smuggle the uzi all the way up to the executive offices all by himself?

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
rack The Time Trust

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quote:

The Time Trust said:
I think I understand what mean, Danny, but how is Rob going to smuggle the uzi all the way up to the executive offices all by himself?

leave that to me

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Boy's campaign saves Bugs Bunny

Petition convinces network to make characters less menacing

TULSA, Oklahoma (AP) -- Eleven-year-old Thomas Adams thought Warner Bros. had gone daffy when he saw the company's plans for a new cartoon called "Loonatics," based on Bugs Bunny and his Looney Tunes pals.

The grimacing, hollow-eyed, power-fisted prototypes of a futuristic Bugs, Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner struck the boy as dark and scary. In the words of Daffy Duck, he found them "dethh-picable."

Now, nearly two months after starting an Internet petition drive against the TV series' fall debut, Thomas has gotten the company's attention.

Warner Bros. Entertainment spokesman Scott Rowe said his company wants the thousands of fans upset by the made-over characters unveiled in February to know "that's NOT all, folks." (Warner Bros. is a division of Time Warner, as is CNN.)

Those "early drawings" have been revised into characters that are softer and less menacing, he said.

"We heard the outcry from fans, including Thomas," Rowe said.

That's enough to draw an emphatic "YESSS!" from the lanky fifth-grader who started the stir with fewer than 20 signatures on a piece of paper at his private school.

Thomas couldn't figure out what was up with the plans to turn the old Looney Tunes gang into their Japanese anime-styled descendants. The prototypes depicted sword-eared superheroes, such as "Buzz Bunny," battling evil in the year 2772.

"Those weren't the Looney Tunes I know," said the boy, whose favorite classic character is the Tasmanian Devil "besides Bugs, of course."

Thomas' parents, Rachel and John Adams, suggested he might have more success by taking his drive to the Web. A family friend who runs an Internet design business was willing to help.

Between piano lessons and shooting hoops, the boy pedaled his bike to the friend's house over several evenings to work on the site's content. On February 28, www.saveourlooneytunes.com came on line.

The petition asked Warner Bros. to create entirely new characters for the series instead of "ruining" the old ones.

Within days, the response had overwhelmed the family's home computer. By late March, more than 25,000 people from around the world had signed the petition. After a CNN story on Thomas aired in mid-April, the site had tallied 80,000 signatures and 95,000 hits, the family said.

"Keep up the fight," fellow fans urged in their e-mails, calling the boy an inspiration.

The passion of fans for the old characters is understandable, said Bob Bergen, the voice actor behind Porky's stutter and Tweety's "putty tat" the past 15 years.

"They've been around since the 1930s," he said. "They've been around as long as classic motion pictures."

Bergen, who decided at age 5 he wanted to be Porky Pig and "just pursued it," is not involved in the new series' development, but he cautions fans against rushing to judgment before it airs.

"The kids who are going to be seeing this are not as versed in classic Looney Tunes as these fans are," he said. "Let the target audience be the judge."

The "Loonatics" -- scheduled to air Saturday mornings come fall on Kids' WB! -- is aimed at 6-to-11-year-olds. Test groups loved it, Rowe said.

It's not intended to replaced the original characters, which appear in new episodes on Cartoon Network and classic shows on the network's station Boomerang.

"We just wanted to create something that would be accessible and fun to a new generation of kids," he said.

He said the redrawn characters will be unveiled at a later date but that "Loonatics" will remain an action-adventure show.

Thomas, who has dreams of becoming a cartoonist or comedian, hopes Warner Bros. also will continue to create new episodes for the old Looney Tunes gang.

Thrilled to have made a difference in a way his mother calls "a David and Goliath story," the young activist is considering a new protest.

"I was thinking about doing one against homework," he said.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Dang it! A couple minutes late.

rex Offline OP
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
HA! Sometimes it pays to have no life.

Actually the article doesn't even say much. All it says is that the WB is going to make them "less scarier"

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Wait. An internet petition worked?

Ok..

Nazi Pope

Exploding frogs

Internet Petition works

I'm missing another...

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
ZOMBIES!!!

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
that red sox thing.

and chuppacabras, as far as i'm concerned.

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Who's a chuppawhat?

Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Quote:

I'm Not Mister Mxypltk said:
ZOMBIES!!!

http://65.127.124.62/south_asia/4483241.stm.htm

Quote:

Cambodian Troops Quarantine Quan'sul

There has been a small outbreak of “zombism” in a small town near the border of Laos in North-Eastern Cambodia.

The culprit was discovered to be mosquitoes native to that region carrying a new strain of Malaria which thus far has a 100 percent mortality rating killing victims in fewer than 2 days.

After death, this virus is able to restart the heart of it’s victim for up to two hours after the initial demise of the person where the individual behaves in extremely violent ways from what is believe to be a combination of brain damage and a chemical released into blood during “resurrection.”

Cambodian officials say that the outbreak has been contained and the public has no need to worry.

General Ary Serey had this to say, "We have obtained samples of this new virus and plan to learn how it starts the heart and other major organs of the deceased. We intend to use this to increase the quality of life for all."

US Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice opposed the plan saying that the Cambodian government holds a great biological weapon and should destroy it immediately. Cambodian officials have yet to comment.

A United Nations team will be dispatched to Cambodia to confirm the safety of biological research in Cambodia.

Anybody got a cricket bat?

Uschi said:
I won't rape you, I'll just fuck you 'till it hurts and then not stop and you'll cry.

MisterJLA: RACKS so hard, he called Jim Rome "Chris Everett." In Him, all porn is possible. He is far above mentions in so-called "blogs." RACK him, lest ye be lost!

"I can't even brush my teeth without gagging!" - Tommy Tantillo: Wank & Cry, heckpuppy, and general laughingstock

[Linked Image from i6.photobucket.com]
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
(And, yes, I know it's a hoax...)

Uschi said:
I won't rape you, I'll just fuck you 'till it hurts and then not stop and you'll cry.

MisterJLA: RACKS so hard, he called Jim Rome "Chris Everett." In Him, all porn is possible. He is far above mentions in so-called "blogs." RACK him, lest ye be lost!

"I can't even brush my teeth without gagging!" - Tommy Tantillo: Wank & Cry, heckpuppy, and general laughingstock

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Thank you for clearing that up Joe Mama.

Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Well, I didn't want you rushing down to Texas to protect Elisa. Or Rex to start offing hippies because they're all zoned out and hippie-like. Or PJP to start killing Red Sox fans. Or...

Uschi said:

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Bless you for being so considerate. I wouldn't want anything to happen to PrincessElisa or the Red Sox fans.

Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Inglourious Basterd!!!
15000+ posts
Me neither...next thing you know, I'm like Orson Wells after the "War Of The Worlds" broadcast. All apologizin' an' stuff...who needs that?

You left out the poor smelly hippies...

Uschi said:

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard