Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 81 of 137 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 136 137
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I just finished it. It was OK. It certainly had less douche chill than any RTD episodes.

The main story and villain were a throw away though. Much like the Autons were for Eccs.

I like the new TARDIS interior more than I do the previous one.

I really liked the cast. Matt Smith seems to have a good grasp of what the role is and the fire crotch is totally spank worthy.

What really peaked my interest were the previews that seemed to show the Daleks fighting in WWII.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I think the thing I disliked the most was the bit when he wanted to think, and he started smacking his head, and the camera shot from person to person before stopping with Amys boyfriend and the camera phone.
It was almost like The Doctor suddenly had this new super power.

Everything else was pretty much ok.
Nothing Earth shattering, but ok.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I noticed a whole new style to this episode that greatly departed from RTD's. I saw the jumping from person to person not as a 'new super power' but more as a peak into how the Doctor's mind works.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
What really peaked my interest were the previews that seemed to show the Daleks fighting in WWII.

And wearing Union Jacks.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Also, it's looks like it's WWII in SPACE!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Yes, the chick is hot.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
mmmmm fire crotch

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Also, it's looks like it's WWII in SPACE!

Yeah, that looks cool as fuck!

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I loved it. It was fun, funny, had original aliens, and an overall sense of mystery. Basically it was something we hadn't seen in a few years, even better than most of RTD's good episodes.
Smith did a good job, I can see him being quite good in the role. There was a certain mixture of both Bakers that really worked. I can tell he's a smart actor who put thought into the role before really tackling it. I also liked his style and and the Tardis redesign. It all has a nice retro look which adds to the sense of fun.
Amy also has a lot of promise. It reminded me of Renette from Girl in the Fireplace with a happier ending. It shows that he's willing to be creative with the time travel aspects (I especially like the added 2 years at the end). I like the twist that he's her imaginary friend who she drew and obsessed over since childhood. It's so much more than the Rose/Martha crush because her infatuation with the Doctor goes back before she even thought of sex, running out on her wedding was a brilliant touch. She's also fun and tough without being "feminist tough" like the RTD companions. And she's hot.
I think the days of Doctor-praise and heavy melodrama are finally over. The show is no longer about Rose, the Time War (which I still feel cheated we didn't get the rumored Mcgann episode), or the Daleks/Master as the season's big bad.
I'm happy....though the jury is still out on the theme song, I was hoping for one closer to the Hartnell-Baker eras.

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I noticed a whole new style to this episode that greatly departed from RTD's. I saw the jumping from person to person not as a 'new super power' but more as a peak into how the Doctor's mind works.

That was my impression. The idea being the Doctor takes EVERYTHING in and was just sifting through it. They've always had the Doctor do that, this is just the first time we've seen it through his eyes. It was cool.

Bow ties are coool.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
^That. The camera-work was great. Now if they could just get rid of Murray Gold on music...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Like I've said, I wish they'd take a book from the original theme and make something that sounds like it couldn't have been made on Earth.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Liked the latest episode. Not terribly great, but cool none the less. Still developing the new Doctor. No way you can say that Smith's a more manic version of Tennat after this one. Next week is the Dalek WWII in SPACE ep.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Actually I can still say he is a manic version of Tennant, cause he is.
The guy never stops moving, and when I wasnt looking at the screen at certain points, he even sounded like Tennants Doctor.

Wasnt overly impressed with this episode either.
Was far too rushed.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Still getting used to the Doctor and I'm not quite sure who he is yet. He has some but not a lot of 10, a touch of 6, and there are moments where he has a bit of 4.
I liked the premise this week, thought it was brilliant, but the execution seemed a bit forced. From the confidential episodes I get the sense that most of the people are new and not just Smith/Moffat so I guess there needs to be a bit of a grace period.
So far though the show is better than RTD's run. There's less whiny melodrama. I like that he almost casually mentioned being the last Timelord, it just wasn't something he was going to get all choked up about like 9 and 10.
The new Tardis set continues to be amazing. It's just so big and elaborate, along with Smith's 50's professor look the whole show feels much more like an adventure.
Amy Pond continues to be hot.

I liked the call at the end of the episode. I like when one episode leads into the next. Next week Daleks, River Song, and hopefully a nip slip from Amy.

Bow ties are coool.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Episodes leading into each other is a throwback to Peter Davison's era, as well as Hartnell's. Moffat's favorite Doctor is Peter, so there's that.

Matt Smith said Moffat gave him a single episode from each Doctor to watch. Smith loved Troughton in Tomb of the Cybermen, thus his insistence on the bow-tie and outfit.

As for his mannerisms, I too detect some hints of Ten in there. I think that's up to (A) Moffat still writing him a little like Tennant, and (B) probably to ease the pain and try and attract the tweens. Either way, it's in such small doses I just chalk it up to the "new" period. Remember, Tennant was very Eccleston in his first few episodes, too.

Mainly, though, Number Eleven comes off as a new mix of Colin Baker's 6th Doctor, and Paul McGann's 8th Doctor. The rapid-fire "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!" from him when the Cloister Bell sounded in The Eleventh Hour was 100% Paul McGann. He has a vanity that is similar in intensity, if not tone, of Colin Baker. There's something about his cadence that hints at Troughton and Tennant. His detachment and bizarre movements come off as a mix of Tom Baker's 4th Doctor and Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean. He has the breathless enthusiasm of Peter Davison's 5th Doctor, and given his style of mini-outburst about "humans" in last Saturday's episode, hints of Eccleston's bottled rage issues.

All that said, there's something new about what Smith is doing. He's just so effortless in his portrayal. I'm really interested to see where they take the incarnation...

P.S. Hey Ray! I'm glad you're here to chat about Who! How's construction work in NYC? \:\)

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Knowledge is Power!
1000+ posts
Knowledge is Power!
1000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
Episodes leading into each other is a throwback to Peter Davison's era, as well as Hartnell's. Moffat's favorite Doctor is Peter, so there's that.

Matt Smith said Moffat gave him a single episode from each Doctor to watch. Smith loved Troughton in Tomb of the Cybermen, thus his insistence on the bow-tie and outfit.

As for his mannerisms, I too detect some hints of Ten in there. I think that's up to (A) Moffat still writing him a little like Tennant, and (B) probably to ease the pain and try and attract the tweens. Either way, it's in such small doses I just chalk it up to the "new" period. Remember, Tennant was very Eccleston in his first few episodes, too.

Mainly, though, Number Eleven comes off as a new mix of Colin Baker's 6th Doctor, and Paul McGann's 8th Doctor. The rapid-fire "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!" from him when the Cloister Bell sounded in The Eleventh Hour was 100% Paul McGann. He has a vanity that is similar in intensity, if not tone, of Colin Baker. There's something about his cadence that hints at Troughton and Tennant. His detachment and bizarre movements come off as a mix of Tom Baker's 4th Doctor and Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean. He has the breathless enthusiasm of Peter Davison's 5th Doctor, and given his style of mini-outburst about "humans" in last Saturday's episode, hints of Eccleston's bottled rage issues.

All that said, there's something new about what Smith is doing. He's just so effortless in his portrayal. I'm really interested to see where they take the incarnation...

P.S. Hey Ray! I'm glad you're here to chat about Who! How's construction work in NYC? \:\)

So far, I've only seen 1 1/2 episodes of the 11th Doctor's era, but I'm enjoying it quite a lot. So's my 4-year old, who adapted quite well to the change-over (mind you he also enjoys the Classic Doctors, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised). My son however blew me away with his impromptue impersonation of the 11th Doc's "Apples to Fish Custard" scene.

Getting back to your point. I don't know why, but I see a bit of Michael Palin in Matt's portayal of the Doctor.

Member of the Justice League Reality
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Britannica
I don't know why, but I see a bit of Michael Palin in Matt's portayal of the Doctor.

I think it probably has to do with some of his facial expressions. His open mouth wonderment is very Palin.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Another fun episode. New Daleks, though there really wasn't anything wrong with the previous ones design wise. I'm happy to have an episode end without the complete destruction of the Dalek race just to have them turn up again in a few episodes. Looks like they're going to rebuild the pepper pots to their classic Who glory.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Liked the Where Eagles Dare reference "Broadsword calling Danny boy".

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Heh! Didn't catch that one myself. Been a while since I've seen it. Might have to go rewatch it now.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Caught it straight away, but couldnt remember what it was from initially.
Then of course I realised it was Richard Burtons voice saying it in my head.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
From the BBC website:
 Quote:
The call names Broadsword and Danny Boy are references to Where Eagles Dare in which the line 'Broadsword calling Danny Boy' is repeated by a character who shares the name the Doctor occasionally adopts - John Smith.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I thought it was pretty good for what it was. It's obvious that Gatiss thought he was still writing for RTD; how does someone stop a bomb from exploding? Convince him he's human. Sure. What? That was cheesy.

Moffat's worship of the Cushing movies and its 60's aesthetics couldn't be more obvious (other than the TARDIS itself) than the new breed of toy tie-ins....I MEAN--....Daleks. Wow. The Cult of Crayola? Day-glo Gay Pride Rainbox colors, large and fat. Based on Russel? ;\)

The actor playing Churchill was fun to watch, but even I could tell he was playing a caricature rather than the historical figure. Not to mention, he was way too large for Winston at that time period. Later, I think the actual historical hero himself got stuck in a bathtub during his twilight years. He went out eating. That's a real man.

Matt Smith continues to be ultimately brilliant as The Doctor, and Karen's hot ass is a solid companion. I like her quirky, background status to Smith's epic stride. His intensity in this episode reminded me of Eccleston. A lot. Well played, Mr. Smith.

So...Amy doesn't remember the Dalek invasions? I think I'm starting to get what Moffat is going for. My theory right now is that the Doctor will do something near the end of the season, probably in the finale, that will cause the cracks in the universe. It will also alter the timeline in some way where the "genie" goes back into the "bottle", and the Doctor Who universe Earth has no memory or record of alien invasion. Thus, back to square-one where everything alien is new to humans and the planet. How this will affect Torchwood and things like that, I don't know.

Also, I have a feeling Amy has something to do with it. I think the brief moment we see of her "dream" in the season opener where she's the little Amelia waiting on the Doctor to return. I think that's an indication that maybe the Doc goes back to pick up Amy when she's a child, thus crossing his own timeline and causing a schism in the universe? I don't know. Just guessing.

Next week looks really good! However, I'm hesitant with River coming back. Only in that Kingston is showing her age, and I hate the way she exaggerates every syllable when River tries to be "clever". But, hey, the Quantum Angels are back. So, rock on!

All in all, I give this one a 7 out of 10.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I'm hoping that the crack in spacetime is Moffat clearing up RTD's Waters of Mars hanging plot. I really do think that the Doctor's actions in that episode really need to be drastic.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nöwheremän

The Broadsword part caught my attention, but I was thinking that maybe it was a real WWII codename for an operation. Forgot the movie, which is awesome, and written by the same guy who wrote the story that Guns of Navarone was adapted from.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
The actor playing Churchill was fun to watch, but even I could tell he was playing a caricature rather than the historical figure.

That guy is a fantastic actor proven by the fact that he was in the greatest movie ever made: Top Secret!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
He generally plays caricature fat men/gay fat men characters.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nöwheremän

The Broadsword part caught my attention, but I was thinking that maybe it was a real WWII codename for an operation. Forgot the movie, which is awesome, and written by the same guy who wrote the story that Guns of Navarone was adapted from.

Alistair Maclean.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I really enjoyed the episode. The bit with the android doctor was a little too emotional (I agree with Pro it felt very RTD) but the ending where they let him get away instead of "tragically" turning him off was a nice surprise. Churchill trying to steal the Tardis key was also a nice touch.
Overall I thought the episode was clever. The Daleks using deception and fetching tea waiting for the Doctor to explode was a nice change of pace. I even liked the new colors because I read that (conceptually at least) it's like Starfleet where the colors mean different positions.

Matt Smith is obviously getting his footing as the Doctor, the bit with the cookie was brilliantly done. I especially liked how once it was revealed he just ate the cookie and protested that he was promised tea. I really loved the fact that the Doctor seems to be over the time war. There was no speech about how they always survive when the time lords don't, or how unfair it was. He just said very calmly and matter of factly "I'm always worried about the Daleks."
I'm really looking forward to next week's episode. River Song and the Weeping Angels should make for a great story.

Last edited by Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man; 2010-04-19 11:25 PM. Reason: I painted a pretty word picture but forgot to include the ducks at the pond.

Bow ties are coool.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
They are called biscuits, not cookies.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

one rumor confirmed!

Quote:
Of two "Doctor Who" questions, Gaiman answered that his favorite in the lead was #2. "Patrick Troughton was my Doctor," he said. Later, when asked whether he'd ever want to write an episode of the series, the audience began tittering before Gaiman could respond. "I would love to write for Doctor Who so much, that I wrote an episode," he said, recapping the long-rumored and recently-confirmed project. Gaiman said that his episode was meant to be the eleventh of the current season, but budgetary constraints pushed it to series six, "when they have more money." He also added that, now that show runner Stephen Moffatt has confirmed the existence of the episode in interviews, the writer is free to reveal all of the details Moffatt has: "It will be on television, it is in color."

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Wow. Color.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Will the BBC have enough cash for that?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
The colors they're using are black and white.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Then its not in colour is it.
Black and white are shades, not colours.

Page 81 of 137 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 136 137

Link Copied to Clipboard