Print Thread
Page 93 of 137 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 136 137
Son of Mxy #1122356 2010-07-12 7:55 AM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
I just marathoned the shit out of the newWho's 4th season, and damn I love Donna. I even like her more than Amy Pond (except when we're talking about wanking material)

Of the female companions she's been set up as the most useless (at least, that was what she believed). But I think she's the one who's been most useful to tenth. Of course, in a fight or anything that requires athletic ability, Rose and Martha may be more useful, and academically speaking, martha is hands down the most intelligent (she's a damn doctor!). But the doctor can already handle those two parts. There's nothing Martha and Rose would have done or thought of that the doctor couldn't have by himself.

Donna, on the other hand, catches things that the doctor misses. She's not bookish, but she's smart. And she's able to convince tenth to do things that he wasn't planning on doing. The other two companions were treated as assistants/pets, Donna was treated as an equal.

Also, I think the roles were reversed for her. whereas Rose and Martha were always trying to get the doctor's approval, tenth was actually trying to please Donna most of the time.

I think my big problem with Donna comes from how I viewed the shows. I got into Who in late 2007 and watched back to back episodes from the first three series over the course of a couple weeks. I loved them.
With Series 4 I had to wait several months and then while I would enjoy the episode I found Tennant's performance to feel almost tired by comparison to years past. It was announced early on that series 5 was being delayed due to Hamlet which really said that the show had slipped from being his top priority. Then after each episode I would watch the Confidential where rtd would gush about how amazing and special Donna was. And while I liked her questioning nature and keen observations I felt there was too much pressure to love her and it really annoyed me and that feeling was linked to her character. They just tried too damn hard. I also had issues with a lot of the episodes and the ending finale felt really cheesy with too many "fuck yous" to the audience.
All this combined to link Donna in my mind with a bad era of Who.

Bow ties are coool.
Son of Mxy #1122367 2010-07-12 2:28 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I just marathoned the shit out of the newWho's 4th season, and damn I love Donna. I even like her more than Amy Pond (except when we're talking about wanking material)

Of the female companions she's been set up as the most useless (at least, that was what she believed). But I think she's the one who's been most useful to tenth. Of course, in a fight or anything that requires athletic ability, Rose and Martha may be more useful, and academically speaking, martha is hands down the most intelligent (she's a damn doctor!). But the doctor can already handle those two parts. There's nothing Martha and Rose would have done or thought of that the doctor couldn't have by himself.

Donna, on the other hand, catches things that the doctor misses. She's not bookish, but she's smart. And she's able to convince tenth to do things that he wasn't planning on doing. The other two companions were treated as assistants/pets, Donna was treated as an equal.

Also, I think the roles were reversed for her. whereas Rose and Martha were always trying to get the doctor's approval, tenth was actually trying to please Donna most of the time.

Pretty damn spot on, SoM! Couldn't agree more! Loved me some Donna Noble.

Here's my ranking of the modern era Who seasons...

Season 1

(Number Nine is still Number One, as far as seasons go. This would be the one I always show to my non-fan friends, first.)

Season 5

(Here comes the Eleventh Doctor!! WOOOOO! )

Season 4

(Tennant's only rock-solid season, with The Doctor's Daughter being the greatest insult to mankind. It was Catherine Tate that really stepped up the talent in this series, Donna being the pitch-perfect companion for an egotist like 'Perfect Ten'. Her ever-present command of the screen really tempered Tennant into a Doctor I could sit back and enjoy, rather than the exhausting over-acting he would normally force. Could have only been better if Tennant and RTD and the Beeb would have had the balls to bow Ten out when he regenerated during the Meta-Crisis nonsense.)

Season 3

(Love me some hot Freema, even if the acting lacks a little. However, all considered, this is the season that gave us Blink, Human Nature/Family of Blood, and Utopia. Unfortunately, it also gave us Jesus-Doctor.)

Season 4.5

(I think Planet of the Dead, much like Voyage of the Damned, is some of the worst "Committee Television" I've ever seen. Meaning, it was created around a famous guest-star, and served no sincerely entertaining or engaging purpose other than to look pretty. Awful, awful. Other than that, WoM, EoT...while both a bit overdramatic, they signaled a quite appropriately epic finale for the most commonly popular Doctor since Tom Baker. And if nothing else, The Next Doctor just brings it all home in a bundle of nostalgia and holiday.)

Season 2

( No wonder Chris left... )

Prometheus #1122600 2010-07-15 3:45 AM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus

Season 2

Couldn't disagree more. I would put 2 near the top of my list. New Earth, Tooth and Claw, Girl in the Fireplace, Love and Monsters (I enjoyed it), Impossible Planet/Satan Pit(not the best story ever but still pretty good for a slight scare), Dalek/Cyberman finale (a bit emotional towards the end but still a great tense story).

Bow ties are coool.
1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
1. You do not talk about snarf.
7500+ posts
Got my set of 11 Doctors!

It is very smart!

Colin doesn't look any fatter.

Not too sure about the new Tom Head!

Every Who fan should have this!

Me No Rikey Rob, he's a banana queer!

I shit on Hogan!
ROY BATTY #1122743 2010-07-16 9:20 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
No fatter Colin?!! The liars!

Damn, I still want it, though...

Prometheus #1122807 2010-07-17 1:03 PM
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man User Director of Human Resources, RKMBs-Eurasia
10000+ posts 07/17/10 09:15 AM Reading a post
Forum: Media
Thread: The Official Doctor Who thread

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
MisterJLA #1122809 2010-07-17 1:48 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I liked Season 2 too. The finale was a bit dull but like Ray said it had some good episodes.

Nice seeing some Donna love here and there. My guess is that storyline is pretty much done. She's married and happy. While I liked the character I'm ok if they left her alone. It would be nice though if she got her memories back without her brain blowing though.

Some characters I would like to really see them revisit is Susan and Roman. I recently watched the end of the original episode where Susan and the doctor parted company. Now it looks like she and Romana ended back on doomed Gallifry but I still hope there's more to their story.

Fair play!
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Are the Judoons exclusive to the new season? I'm trying to research summaries of classic eps but I see no mention. I like these guys. They're always saying gay shit like OH NO WE GO BLOW JOE

Son of Mxy #1122914 2010-07-20 12:03 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Brand new for the show reboot.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #1122915 2010-07-20 12:09 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I bought the DVD for the Tom Baker story Underworld and watched it this last weekend. The show was a decent idea, but it came close to the end of the season where they were really under budget constraints as inflation hit after the season budget had already been worked up. Over half of it was done using Chromakey blue screen. The DVD is still worth it for me, though, due to all the extra stuff on it. They've got old footage of set rehearsals and such. Hearing Tom making quips and goofing off is well worth the $20 I spent. My new favorite quote is "I'm from fucking Gallifrey!" The commentary also has Baker as well as Louise Jameson and one of the story's writers. It's fun hearing them just tell old stories about being on the set or how shit just worked out back then.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #1122988 2010-07-21 2:12 AM
25+ posts
25+ posts
I bought the DVD for the Tom Baker story Underworld and watched it this last weekend. The show was a decent idea, but it came close to the end of the season where they were really under budget constraints as inflation hit after the season budget had already been worked up. Over half of it was done using Chromakey blue screen. The DVD is still worth it for me, though, due to all the extra stuff on it. They've got old footage of set rehearsals and such. Hearing Tom making quips and goofing off is well worth the $20 I spent. My new favorite quote is "I'm from fucking Gallifrey!" The commentary also has Baker as well as Louise Jameson and one of the story's writers. It's fun hearing them just tell old stories about being on the set or how shit just worked out back then.

Ray Peet #1123029 2010-07-21 3:07 AM
500+ posts
500+ posts

Prometheus #1123401 2010-07-26 5:11 PM
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus

Pretty damn spot on, SoM! Couldn't agree more! Loved me some Donna Noble.

Here's my ranking of the modern era Who seasons...

Season 1

(Number Nine is still Number One, as far as seasons go. This would be the one I always show to my non-fan friends, first.)

Season 5

(Here comes the Eleventh Doctor!! WOOOOO! )

Season 4

(Tennant's only rock-solid season, with The Doctor's Daughter being the greatest insult to mankind. It was Catherine Tate that really stepped up the talent in this series, Donna being the pitch-perfect companion for an egotist like 'Perfect Ten'. Her ever-present command of the screen really tempered Tennant into a Doctor I could sit back and enjoy, rather than the exhausting over-acting he would normally force. Could have only been better if Tennant and RTD and the Beeb would have had the balls to bow Ten out when he regenerated during the Meta-Crisis nonsense.)

Season 3

(Love me some hot Freema, even if the acting lacks a little. However, all considered, this is the season that gave us Blink, Human Nature/Family of Blood, and Utopia. Unfortunately, it also gave us Jesus-Doctor.)

Season 4.5

(I think Planet of the Dead, much like Voyage of the Damned, is some of the worst "Committee Television" I've ever seen. Meaning, it was created around a famous guest-star, and served no sincerely entertaining or engaging purpose other than to look pretty. Awful, awful. Other than that, WoM, EoT...while both a bit overdramatic, they signaled a quite appropriately epic finale for the most commonly popular Doctor since Tom Baker. And if nothing else, The Next Doctor just brings it all home in a bundle of nostalgia and holiday.)

Season 2

Just starting the modern era...Eccleston is fucking awesome!

iggy #1123402 2010-07-26 5:55 PM
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
BTW, what do you guys suggest for a person (read, the wife) who has never seen the show? Classics or newer stuff?

iggy #1123403 2010-07-26 6:19 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
The newer stuff is more accessible. Get her hooked on that before delving into the older stuff. Even then, I'd start with the very first episode of the classic An Unearthly Child to kinda help set up the low budget goodness that the classic series was.

thedoctor #1123412 2010-07-26 7:16 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Agreed. Also, take note of her personality. What kind of "hero" does she like? There are many Doctors to choose from...

Prometheus #1123437 2010-07-27 1:36 AM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I suggest picking the best related episodes from the new seasons, so that she can get a feel of the different doctors early on. This is basically what I did, I started with Blink. Time of Angels, Flesh and Stone, Silence in the Library, Forest of The Dead - So that I got to compare Tennant and Smith, as well as the reactions of other characters to the doctor, being River Song and the Angels.

The two-parters also have the kickass parts when it shows that the doctor, goofy looking thing that he is, is one of the most feared beings in the cosmos. 11th hour is also a good starting point. The "Basically, Run" scene was awesome. And little Amelia is loveable. I think I like her more than adult Amy.

Son of Mxy #1123438 2010-07-27 1:39 AM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
"I am the Doctor. You're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

thedoctor #1123439 2010-07-27 1:40 AM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
His bit in the Big Bang, when he stood on top of stonehenge and challenged the aliens, didn't have the same effect on me, though.

Son of Mxy #1123440 2010-07-27 1:42 AM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Yeah, the one in the library has to be one of the coolest Doctor lines ever written.

thedoctor #1123441 2010-07-27 1:45 AM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
"Oh, big, big mistake. Really huge. Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there is one thing you never, ever put in a trap." is on par.

Son of Mxy #1123451 2010-07-27 4:12 AM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I actually LOVE the Stonehenge scene!

Quote:
"HELLOOOOO STONEHENGE!!

"Whoever takes the Pandorica takes the universe. But guess who?"

(leaps onto the rock)

"HA!!"

"First question: Who has the Pandorica? Answer: I do. Next question, who's going to take it from me?"

(Opens arms wide in an offering defiance)

"Now, all you silly little spaceships zooming back and forth, it gets a bit distracting, so could you please stop for just one moment because

I

AM

TALKING!!

\:lol\: That is pure awesome, and if only because Matt Smith owns the screen during that speech.

My problem with The Library speech and Tennant was that they were always pushing that aspect of his Doctor on us. Like he was some kind of badass. Yet, never once did I genuinely believe it. It just seemed like a skinny, whiney little Brit shouting ineffectively. When Smith does it, he does it with static-bravado that is at once entirely alien and yet immediately believable.

Quote:
"Look at me! No backup! No weapons! No plan! Oh and something else I don't have:

Anything.
To.
Lose!"

Last edited by Prometheus; 2010-07-27 4:13 AM. Reason: Editing quotes are cool
Prometheus #1123452 2010-07-27 4:15 AM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
The library line works because it didn't need bravado. It was simply a statement of fact. "I'm a badass, but you don't have to take my word for it." Reading Rainbow!

thedoctor #1123460 2010-07-27 4:40 AM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Smith can pull off the badass bit, and I actually prefer his style more than Tennant's since I find Tennant's acting to be a bit too loud.

I just think the stonehenge bit didn't have the same badass aura because it's been set up a few scenes back that the doctor thinks they have no chance against all the warships. We (the viewers) know that he's just bluffing.

Compared to his line at the library, or his warning for the Atraxis - he was threatening them.

iggy #1123463 2010-07-27 5:38 AM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: iggy
BTW, what do you guys suggest for a person (read, the wife) who has never seen the show? Classics or newer stuff?

I would suggest the Moffat episodes as the best in each series.
EMpty Child/Doctor Dances
Girl in the Fireplace
Blink
Silence in the Library/Forrest of the Dead
Time of the Angels/Flesh and Stone
that gives you solid episodes and a bit of an arc with the Angels and River.

Bow ties are coool.
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I just saw Water of Mars for the first time (the supposedly complete torrent I downloaded before didn't have the specials except for the End of time), and holy shit, the ending was awesome.

They've made it a point to show Tenth's dark side from time to time, but all of the other times were just glimpses and they're usually against the villains, so it kinda makes you still root for him, but the "timelord victorious" scene was plain scary.

The doctor at that point has his feet in villain territory, but unlike the usual crop of bad guys, his motivation is not a lust for power. He was just tired of losing his loved ones and being powerless against change. He's very lonely, frustrated, and scared. Tenth became very human towards the end of his life.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Smith can pull off the badass bit, and I actually prefer his style more than Tennant's since I find Tennant's acting to be a bit too loud.

I just think the stonehenge bit didn't have the same badass aura because it's been set up a few scenes back that the doctor thinks they have no chance against all the warships. We (the viewers) know that he's just bluffing.

Compared to his line at the library, or his warning for the Atraxis - he was threatening them.

Ah, but see that's what I mean about Number Ten. They wrote him, and Tennant acted, so obvious in his "threatening manners". The Doctor has always been threatening, in their own ways. And, I guess we were due for a Doctor that was so overtly full of himself as to place himself on a pedestal like that. And it fits, because Number Ten was the egomaniac, especially given how he acted in his final hours and words. But, unfortunately, David Tennant never sold it for me. Never once did I ever feel he was threatening in any real sense, up until his quiet delivery "Tough" at the end of Waters of Mars. He just came off "shouty" otherwise.

Eccleston and Smith, however, are imbued with a naturally threatening aura. Eccleston is the dark and regret and violence. Smith is all that barely tempered into the shell of a 'young fogey'. I believe them both, because I think they are both superior actors in that sense.

Son of Mxy #1123478 2010-07-27 4:52 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I just saw Water of Mars for the first time (the supposedly complete torrent I downloaded before didn't have the specials except for the End of time), and holy shit, the ending was awesome.

They've made it a point to show Tenth's dark side from time to time, but all of the other times were just glimpses and they're usually against the villains, so it kinda makes you still root for him, but the "timelord victorious" scene was plain scary.

The doctor at that point has his feet in villain territory, but unlike the usual crop of bad guys, his motivation is not a lust for power. He was just tired of losing his loved ones and being powerless against change. He's very lonely, frustrated, and scared. Tenth became very human towards the end of his life.

Agreed. As I just said above, The Waters of Mars is Tennant's finest performance, as far as "dark" goes. I like he finally realized to 'undersell' it. Made it sooooo much more menacing.

I, as with other older fans, love making the superficial link back to era of the 6th Doctor, when he encounters his "dark side" from around his 12th incarnation. If they (Moffat) pick up this thread, now that we are naturally here, I would probably pee with excitement. I don't think they will, mind you. But, it would be so super-nerdy cool!

thedoctor #1123479 2010-07-27 4:53 PM
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
The newer stuff is more accessible. Get her hooked on that before delving into the older stuff. Even then, I'd start with the very first episode of the classic An Unearthly Child to kinda help set up the low budget goodness that the classic series was.

Restarted season 1 of the new shows with her last night. She loves it! And, she is pumped to try the older stuff now. Thanks, guys! Her preconceptions about sci-fi have been totally raped.

iggy #1123482 2010-07-27 5:00 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Yay to raping iggy's wife.

Wait.....

\:-\[

thedoctor #1123483 2010-07-27 5:02 PM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts

Son of Mxy #1123484 2010-07-27 5:04 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Which is why I felt The End of Time was so disappointing. Waters of Mars ended with the Doctor totally fucking shit up. He should have felt more repercussions for it. We should have found out why the Timelords interfered to keep things like that from happening. The Doctor should have been the one to cause some rupture in spacetime that caused the return of the warlike Timelords in the next finale or at least the return of the Master.

Son of Mxy #1123485 2010-07-27 5:05 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

As long as no one creates an iggy's wife alt, I think we're okay.

thedoctor #1123486 2010-07-27 5:07 PM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
it would have been kick ass if he turned heel at that point and had to be put down (by a companion or through elaborate suicide ala Sandman), giving us Eleventh.

thedoctor #1123487 2010-07-27 5:09 PM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts

That's good, because I don't think we can stand another raid from the Insurgents. They're already running out of boards to close down.

Son of Mxy #1123488 2010-07-27 5:15 PM
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts

That's good, because I don't think we can stand another raid from the Insurgents. They're already running out of boards to close down.

Her mom is a native of Denmark!

Son of Mxy #1123489 2010-07-27 5:16 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
it would have been kick ass if he turned heel at that point and had to be put down (by a companion or through elaborate suicide ala Sandman), giving us Eleventh.

Exactly. Some Valeyard for the mother fucking win.

iggy #1123491 2010-07-27 5:21 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Her mom is a native of Denmark!

Son of a bitch!

iggy #1123559 2010-07-28 2:32 PM
Sikkbones
1500+ posts
Sikkbones
1500+ posts

Restarted season 1 of the new shows with her last night. She loves it! And, she is pumped to try the older stuff now. Thanks, guys! Her preconceptions about sci-fi have been totally raped.

what a knit-wit.

http://www.finalstage.ca
http:www.459.betrayer.ca
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Aww.... Sikkbones has an iggy obsession. I hope Wanky's not the jealous type.

Page 93 of 137 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 136 137

Link Copied to Clipboard