cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts

Unveiling the Xbox 360
by Richard Greenhill and Mike Smith

The vision

Meet the three pillars of the Xbox 360: always high definition; always connected; always personalized. Microsoft's newest console doesn't just herald a new age of graphical realism -- if you believe the hype, it marks a significant, permanent shift in the way we'll relate to our entertainment. Microsoft vice president J Allard introduced us to his new creation.

Allard is the first to admit that despite its successes, the Xbox was not a "magical product." What does he mean? "There were lots of seams in the experience," he told us. Obviously going from nothing to a comfortable second place in four years, cementing the first-person shooter as a mainstay of console entertainment, and mastering the delivery of online console gameplay along the way just wasn't enough for him.

Allard's looking at ways to sell the Xbox to your grandmother. He's aiming at mass market success on the scale of movies: a billion people, worldwide, involved with Xbox 360, and at a time when consumer expectations for technology have never been higher. No one's going to buy a device just for games, he says, and points to the convergence of cellphones and PDAs as an example.

So the Xbox 360 comes equipped to fill a niche he's hoping to carve. It's a high-powered entertainment nexus, a media hub, and a gaming platform, all rolled into one slick, Mac-inspired piece of desirability. It's equipped to be a video telephone or even a viewer for your digital camera's contents. Providing a device that's solely focused on the needs of the hardcore gamer is apparently not on Microsoft's agenda.

Instead, Allard outlines a future where 50 percent of Xbox 360 owners are online -- and not just to play games. Voice and video communication, content downloads, an online marketplace, and features to let users control and develop their own content. He envisages an open system -- "as open as possible" -- even if that does lead to problems with objectionable content.

Players of Project Gotham 2, one of Xbox Live's best racers, will probably be familiar with the "cat and mouse" multiplayer mode. Its creator isn't a Microsoft designer, and it doesn't appear in any of the menus -- it's just an idea that an anonymous Xbox Live player thought would be cool. The premise involves two teams of four: on each side, one player takes the MINI Cooper, and the others take high-powered sports cars. The only objective is to get your team's MINI across the finish line first. It was a huge hit.

This is the key to Microsoft's strategy. Xbox 360 games will be as open as possible to user-created content -- and offer tools to promote its creation and distribution. Down the line, Allard wants to create a Live Marketplace, where content can be both bought and sold by users, for real money. Somewhere, that anonymous Xbox Live player is adding "Pioneered Microsoft's next-generation content creation strategy" to his resume.

Allard outlined a story of a family-run Tony Hawk's Pro Skater competition. While her son is waiting for his scheduled game to start, Mom designs a T-shirt for his skater to wear. Dad's watching the competition on his PC in the other room. Maybe other spectators are judging, instead of faceless score calculation routines. High profile competitions might feature streaming soundtracks debuting music from a popular artist. Multiplayer gaming becomes a family activity.

related rkmbs article: Xbox 2 details emerge before GDC

giant picture
Rob #508228 2005-05-13 2:01 PM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts

Live: the next generation

A new Xbox Live fee structure is also coming. Two levels of membership, Silver and Gold, will be introduced with the 360: Silver, the basic level, will be free, and support the friends list, voice, video, and text messaging, downloadable content, music, movies, and TV -- but it won't allow you to play multiplayer games.

A Gold subscription will take the place of the regular sub. It'll have a fee, similar to the current one, but will unlock the multiplayer features in Xbox 360 titles, together with an impressive range of intelligent matchmaking options. You'll be able to class yourself as a serious gamer, a novice, or a family-friendly type, and be matched with other players accordingly. A series of free Xbox Live weekends is planned, to allow Silver subscribers the temporary benefit of a fully paid membership without the price tag.

Shift in development

Offering games for download over Xbox Live costs practically nothing. Allard has a vision of a new game development paradigm, a world where teams stay together longer, releasing content over a prolonged period of time rather than dissolving and scattering once they hit their first big release.

What would become of hit TV shows if the production cast and crew disbanded after one successful episode? Why should a publisher risk $10m on one big, risky release when it can commission five shorter games, release them to the world over Live for small payments, and run with the most successful? It's the television world's "pilot" model brought to the gaming market. If it takes off, publishers can group episodes together and release them to stores in the conventional way, so even the broadband-shy can get a piece of the action.

A look inside

Enough hand waving, here are the guts of the machine: Xbox 360's heart is a triple-core IBM processor clocked at 3.2GHz, paired with an ATI-built graphics processor and 512MB of super-fast memory. Smaller than the Xbox, it'll stand vertically or horizontally, and has interchangeable faceplates for customization.

All Xbox 360 games will support widescreen displays, and those with high-definition TVs can play in 720p or 1080i 16:9 display modes. Screenshots should be creeping out over the next week or so, but at such an early stage, who knows if they'll bear any resemblance to the first round of 360 games? One thing's for sure -- it'll be a huge step forward, and mark the line for Sony and Nintendo.

Like the Xbox, the 360 will include a hard drive. This time it'll start at 20GB, but can be removed and upgraded if necessary. Microsoft will be encouraging developers not to rely on the presence of a hard drive, but some games may still require one.

Custom soundtracks are promised for every game, and as before you'll be able to rip your CDs to the 360's hard drive. Like your PC's CD player software, it'll retrieve track and album names from an online directory. The improvements don't end there -- you'll also be able to play music stored on a networked PC, or from a portable device connected with USB.

Yes, you can even stream files from your PSP. Microsoft's pushing the media center concept hard, and judging from the success of modifications that enabled the original Xbox to be used as a similar device, the demand is there.

How about pictures? Stills and video can be recorded with a TV-mounting camera (releasing as an accessory soon after the 360), allowing games like the PlayStation's Eyetoy series, where your physical movements are translated into on-screen activity. Even online video poker was mentioned. But the camera will have offline functions too, including mapping your face onto game characters or potentially scanning in cheats published in magazines and online as barcodes.

giant picture
Rob #508229 2005-05-13 2:04 PM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Controlling the games

Lighter, smoother, and Wavebird inspired, the 360's controller is similar to the current Xbox Controller S, but with an extra two shoulder triggers replacing the oddly-placed black and white buttons. It's also lost its wire; the Xbox 360 supports up to four wireless controllers at once.

A large "Home" button, dead center of the controller's face, will allow you to jump from game to dashboard and back again. So you can to check messages and enter into voice chats without interrupting your play. A conventionally styled remote control will also ship with the console, mirroring the controller's functions and adding a number pad. And in one of those "why has nobody done this before" moves, the Xbox 360 can be turned on and off with the controllers or the remote, since we all know that getting off the couch is a hardship gamers shouldn't have to endure.

So will the Xbox 360 also play Xbox games? Allard's not telling. Presumably he's either concerned the answer will be unpopular, he's saving a big announcement for another day, or he just hasn't made up his mind yet. The hard drive is optional, so a 360 without one presumably wouldn't be equipped to play Xbox games -- and the omission of the white and black buttons, while replaced by other controls, could prove tricky too.

Detailed information on the anticipated launch lineup for the console should be circulating next week. Rare's Perfect Dark Zero is widely expected to be taking the place of the Master Chief as its big shooter, and we wouldn't be surprised to see a new Crimson Skies. Other major publishers will be announcing their Xbox 360 titles shortly: Ubi Soft is expected to unveil Ghost Recon 3 at the show and EA plans to unveil a new Need for Speed title and its Godfather-licensed action game. No doubt the list will be much longer this time next week. Software support isn't going to be an issue for the 360.

Some drawbacks

So what's the catch? One obvious drawback to the 360's hardware is its lack of support for the new high definition DVD movie standard coming next year. Allard's response is that DVDs are good enough for most movie-watchers, and the high-definition video formats aren't going to hit it big. "In all other formats, a new incremental standard has brought higher quality, but lower selection and lower convenience," he said. That statement seems a little incongruous to the rest of his HD vision, but if he's going to bring his console to market this year, he has little choice.

Speculation has been rife that multiple, differently equipped versions of the 360 will be available at the console's launch, like a cheaper version with fewer accessories and no hard drive. "Perhaps," said Allard. "The system has been created in a modular way, but the plan right now is to launch with just one configuration, unless feedback from next week's E3 trade show indicates this would be an unpopular move."

360 days later

As to when that launch will be, all we know for sure is that it'll definitely be before Christmas. Perhaps Microsoft will choose to repeat the Xbox's November 15 release date. As for the price, your guess is as good as ours. Allard promises the price will reflect his mass market ambitions, but that box is going to be bulging with expensive goodies. Who knows -- maybe it'll cost $360. Stranger things have happened.

giant picture
Rob #508230 2005-05-13 2:30 PM
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Sounds cool but it'll probably come at a hefty price. I'm still gonna have to stick with my computer.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
The real question is: Is it backwards compatible?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #508232 2005-05-13 3:02 PM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
currently unknown. and i'm not too sure why.

logic would dictate that it would be. even nintendo is going that route. and with the xbox 360 again using dvd media, instead of hd-dvd, you'd have to assume it'd be somewhat easy to allow for xbox 1 games to work.

however, for whatever reason, that question has been avoided by microsoft.

giant picture
Rob #508233 2005-05-13 3:04 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That means no.

thedoctor #508234 2005-05-13 3:10 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
The real question is: Is it backwards compatible?

Maybe.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #508235 2005-05-13 3:15 PM
fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
it sounds really cool, but I'll still stick with my computer.

I still see it as having a higher versatility, and the potential for much, much more power

Racks be to MisterJLA
Rob #508236 2005-05-13 6:37 PM
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
currently unknown. and i'm not too sure why.

logic would dictate that it would be. even nintendo is going that route. and with the xbox 360 again using dvd media, instead of hd-dvd, you'd have to assume it'd be somewhat easy to allow for xbox 1 games to work.

however, for whatever reason, that question has been avoided by microsoft.

They kinda give a reason why in the link in the other thread, the IGN one rex provided. Something about different hardware being used in the systems, video or chip wise.

Glacier16 #508237 2005-05-13 6:42 PM
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:

I forgot this was on tonight. Damnit.

IGN has updated their FAQS to include the new info and pics.

Quote:

Glacier16 said:
Wow, great info! Their whole online setup is looking fuckin' great. And custom soundtracks, wireless controllers, etc. I think I'll be picking up one for sure now.

Glacier16 #508238 2005-05-13 7:22 PM
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Hope that controller isnt gay.

Fused #508239 2005-05-13 7:36 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Its going to be cordless. Thats all that matters to me. Hopefully Sony and Nintendo will do the same.

rex #508240 2005-05-13 9:02 PM
100+ posts
100+ posts
I agree with the majority, gonna stick with the computer.
That's my entertainment center, HDTV, DVD recording, Internet, games, MP3 surround sound, phone, video, etc...
But then, again, some of you know about me and my hate affair with Microsoft.

Technical Blog #508241 2005-05-13 9:11 PM
Kaz Offline
500+ posts
500+ posts
You're going to stick with the PC.... because you hate Microsoft?

Bob Burden said: Pie for the pirates, wine for the dogs.
Kaz #508242 2005-05-13 9:15 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
SHUSH! Don't spoil it for him.

Jason E. Perkins #508243 2005-05-13 11:02 PM
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Sounds nice. I probably won't get one, since I'm still enjoying my old X-box. Maybe I'll wait for the price to go down (I have never paid more than 150 dollars for a game system, and I refuse to pay 50 bucks for a video game).

However, I wouldn't object to my sister and brother-in-law getting me one for Christmas...

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
Cowgirl Jack #508244 2005-05-14 3:14 AM
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Thats the spirit!

Glacier16 #508245 2005-05-14 2:25 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I'll wait for PS3....

Prometheus #508246 2005-05-15 1:35 AM
500+ posts
500+ posts
I'm in. To those that want to stick with their PC's,,,, that's fine. PC play sucks spit from my ass. Keep it up! My ass will be stinkless! lol

As for Nintendo. Buy their next gen system. Nothing like a $200 turd. Sony, now here is where things get good. Sony gets it and so does the "evil" microsoft.

The PC idiots can go "F" what ever. Sitting in front of a PC is for dudes that can't get ass. Geeks! hahahahaha Getting laid is,,,,,, welll they'd walk on Mars first. lol They need to continue to work on their PC game machine due to lack of lady FUN! hahahahahahaha

Life is short,,,, make it count......
Mr. Lesbo #508247 2005-05-15 1:37 AM
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

Mr. Lesbo said:
Sitting in front of a PC is for dudes that can't get ass. Geeks! hahahahaha Getting laid is,,,,,, welll they'd walk on Mars first. lol They need to continue to work on their PC game machine due to lack of lady FUN! hahahahahahaha

Says the guy posting on a message board with....his psychic powers??

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
Mr. Lesbo #508248 2005-05-15 6:04 PM
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Quote:

Mr. Lesbo said:
I'm in. To those that want to stick with their PC's,,,, that's fine. PC play sucks spit from my ass. Keep it up! My ass will be stinkless! lol

The PC idiots can go "F" what ever. Sitting in front of a PC is for dudes that can't get ass. Geeks! hahahahaha Getting laid is,,,,,, welll they'd walk on Mars first. lol They need to continue to work on their PC game machine due to lack of lady FUN! hahahahahahaha

Dude, my PC is so money *it* gets laid more than you.

Kaz #508249 2005-05-15 10:40 PM
100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

Kaz said:
You're going to stick with the PC.... because you hate Microsoft?

Linux my friend. Doom III rox on it.

Technical Blog #508250 2005-05-17 1:40 AM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
limited backward compatibility

Xbox 360 officially will be backward compatible with the prior system's top-selling games, said Microsoft's Vice President Peter Moore. Microsoft will pick and choose only the most popular Xbox titles from its huge backlist of games and will most likely use emulator software for those limited titles.

giant picture
Rob #508251 2005-05-17 1:45 AM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
So it will have limited BC? I bet they change that, expecially since the PS3 is going to be backwards compatible with the PS2 and PS1.

rex #508252 2005-05-17 3:56 AM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Xbox 360 picks up Final Fantasy XI

The biggest story of the press conference surprised many attendees at the Shrine Auditorium. Microsoft announced that Square Enix, a longtime partner with Microsoft rivals Nintendo and Sony, will be bringing Final Fantasy XI to the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live.

This will be the first Square Enix game for a Microsoft console, and the third platform for FFXI, which previously appeared on the PC in 2003 and PlayStation 2 in 2004. Final Fantasy XI was the first game in the popular role-playing series to go online, and the Xbox version will sport new high-definition graphics and make use of all of Xbox Live's features.

I predicted this a while ago in another thread. Sony really pissed off Square when they released the new version of the PS2 that wasn't compatible with the harddrive. This will make the X-Box 360 a lot more popular in Japan.

Prometheus #508253 2005-05-19 6:57 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
I'll wait for PS3....

Me too, because that's when MS will release Halo 3!

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Rob #508254 2005-05-19 7:04 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
limited backward compatibility

Xbox 360 officially will be backward compatible with the prior system's top-selling games, said Microsoft's Vice President Peter Moore. Microsoft will pick and choose only the most popular Xbox titles from its huge backlist of games and will most likely use emulator software for those limited titles.

As long as they do it for Halo 2, because I would love to get on Live with all the new crap with Halo 2.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
wannabuyamonkey #508255 2005-05-24 1:23 AM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
From gamespots rumor control article.

RUMOR #2: The Xbox 360 won't be backward compatible after all.

Source: British industry news site Gamesindustry.biz.

The official story: See below.

What we heard: Microsoft carefully parsed its words about the Xbox 360's backward compatibility by saying it will be "backward-compatible with top-selling Xbox games." So when Gamesindustry.biz published an article revealing the console's radically different hardware couldn't support current-gen Xbox games, accusation perfidy in Redmond began to fly. "The solution Microsoft has reached is apparently to recompile current-gen Xbox games so that they can be played on the 360," says G'biz. "First on the list, it says, are the best-selling Halo titles." However, Xbox owners were the only ones freaking out. The usually recalcitrant Microsoft bypassed its external public relations company, telling GameSpot directly that, "Our goal is to have every Xbox game work on Xbox 360. You will NOT need to purchase a new 'version.' Your original games will work on Xbox 360."

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus.

rex #508256 2005-05-26 10:23 PM
500+ posts
500+ posts
I couldn't care either way. How many people still play PS1 games on their PS2? Not me. Give me the new X-Box 360 games. Don't get me wrong. I'll hang on to my old X-Box and pull it out from time to time. I still have my NES and about 200 games. lol "Kings of the Beach" still holds up rather well.

Life is short,,,, make it count......
Mr. Lesbo #508257 2005-05-27 4:29 AM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Mr. Lesbo said:
I couldn't care either way. How many people still play PS1 games on their PS2? Not me. Give me the new X-Box 360 games. Don't get me wrong. I'll hang on to my old X-Box and pull it out from time to time. I still have my NES and about 200 games. lol "Kings of the Beach" still holds up rather well.

True any die hard fans of original X-Box games will of course allready own an X-Box that they can play said X-Box games on. I never really got what the big deal with Backwards compatibility is? Sure it would be fun to play Halo 2 with all the new Live bells and wistles, but once Halo 3 comes out all will be forgotten.

wannabuyamonkey #508258 2005-05-27 2:40 PM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i disagree; backwards compatability is a huge "comfort incentive." i agree that not many people will continue to play their older games when they have the newer ones, however... its a tremendous relief to know that you could. that all the money you previously spent on games wasn't wasted.

playstation has been amazing with this.

sure, most people playing a ps3 and loving all the high powered graphics would shift into explosive vomiting if they popped in a ps1 game, but... knowing that they could if they wanted to is a big bonus.

giant picture
Rob #508259 2005-05-27 3:34 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/27/news_6126611.html

Report: ~$300 Xbox 360 by Thanksgiving

J Allard tells TheStreet.com that Microsoft's next-gen console "will be in the neighborhood" of $299; Canadian paper confirms November ship-date target.
    The dwindling fog around Microsoft's launch plans for the Xbox 360 dissipated further yesterday, when the likely price of the Xbox 360 was revealed. Speaking to the financial news site TheStreet.com, Microsoft corporate vice president and chief XNA architect J Allard was asked if the Xbox 360 would launch with the same $299 price tag as the original. "It's going to be in the neighborhood [of $300]," he said, apparently dispelling fears of a $399 or even $499 machine, a;though $350 could still be possible. However, Allard also stressed that any final decision on the 360's price was "about two months away."

Meanwhile, further north, the Canadian daily The Globe and Mail ran an article profiling Cimtek, a small company specializing in quality-assurance testing at Chinese electronics plants. Burlington, Ontario-based Cimtek recently landed a monster contract to help oversee production of the Xbox 360 in Guangdong Province, in the South of China.

Speaking to the The Globe and Mail, Cimtek vice-president of operations Craig Thornton outlined the Xbox 360 manufacturing plan, saying that the console would be in " preliminary build stage until July," after which the console will enter the product-validation phase before "hitting full-scale production in September."

Then Thornton let slip the Xbox 360's target ship date, saying of Microsoft, "They have a huge mandate for getting [the Xbox] out for Thanksgiving this year." His comments appear to confirm the November launch date accidentally posted on MTV prior to the May 12 Xbox 360 unveiling on the network. It also further cements speculation that the console would hit the market in mid-November, around the anniversary of the release of the first Xbox in 2001.

Whatever its exact price or lauch date may be, the Xbox 360 will definitely arrive before the end of 2005 worldwide. "We will be launching the next generation of Xbox in North America and Europe and Japan this holiday season," Chief Xbox Office Robbie Bach told GameSpot earlier this year.

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot

wannabuyamonkey #508260 2005-05-27 4:07 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Mr. Lesbo said:

True any die hard fans of original X-Box games will of course allready own an X-Box that they can play said X-Box games on. I never really got what the big deal with Backwards compatibility is? Sure it would be fun to play Halo 2 with all the new Live bells and wistles, but once Halo 3 comes out all will be forgotten.

Not necessarily. Most financially suave people will turn in their old X-Box to get a discount on the new. And there are just some old games whose gameplay is great enough to keep you wanting to play them. For instance, up until the next to last Smackdown game on PS2, I preferred to play the old PS1 version because it had more features in character creation and other playability that it successors ditched for other features I cared little to nothing for. I'll also still get the urge to play an old Final Fantasy game or whatnot than a newer one. Backwards compatibility allows picky players like me to play the new and old games as much as I want.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #508261 2005-06-07 3:18 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/06/news_6127039.html

Xbox 360 shortages, $76 per-console-loss predicted

Microsoft executive says demand for the new console will outstrip supply; analysts predict company will only charge $299 for $375 worth of hardware.

For the past several months, many gamers looking to pick up an Xbox have found the machine in curiously short supply. Today, a Microsoft executive implied that a similar drought of product may occur later with the company's next-generation game console.

Speaking to British game-industry magazine MCV, British Xbox boss Neil Thompson said demand could outstrip supply when Xbox 360 launches later this year. "I think demand is going to be phenomenal so we see that as a really difficult thing," he told MCV. "Will we execute well so retail will have good volume? Yes. But I don’t think we’re going to meet demand as people are going to come into this platform in a big way."

When asked for comment by GameSpot, an official Microsoft spokesperson issued the following silver-tongued response: "We're aware that demand for Xbox 360 will be at a fever pitch, and we're working with our manufacturing partners to ensure that gamers in Europe, North America and Japan will have a great Xbox 360 Christmas this year."

Meanwhile, an analyst report quoted by the Toronto Globe and Mail claims to answer another burning question regarding the Xbox 360. The tech-savvy Canadian daily cited a report by UBS Securities analysts Patrick Parr and Martin Cecchetto, which estimated that Microsoft "will pay its manufacturing partners about $375 (US) a unit and sell them to consumers for $299."

The Toronto Globe and Mail article also said that Microsoft will pay out "between $350 million and $450 million this year and between $900 million and $1.1 billion in 2006" to manufacturers of the console. Divided by the estimated $375 manufacturing price--which will eventually go down--such expenditures would mean Microsoft expects to ship around 933,000 to 1.2 million Xbox 360s in 2005, with another 2.4 million to 3.2 million going to market in 2006. Multiply those figures by the estimated $76 loss Microsoft will take on each Xbox 360, and the company could lose as much as $91.2 million and $243.2 million on console hardware production in 2005 and 2006, respectively.

However, while the analyst report bears the respectable UBS imprimatur, the figures it contains remain estimates, not official numbers. Unfortunately, that's all the public has to go on at the moment, as Microsoft won't go into the financial specifics of the Xbox 360 launch. "We do not comment on rumors or speculation," said the same spokesperson.

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot

rex #508262 2005-06-07 5:56 PM
Rob Offline OP
cobra kai
15000+ posts
OP Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
i hate these useless articles with "analysts" or "specialists" ... they're all just guesses that we could make!

giant picture
Rob #508263 2005-06-07 6:00 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
But they get paid to do it.

Link Copied to Clipboard