#512764 2005-05-20 4:29 PM
Chant Offline OP
fudge
4000+ posts
OP Offline
fudge
4000+ posts

http://imaginis.com/breasthealth/herceptin.asp#work

could this actually be a cure for cancer?

I know it mentions breast cancer specifically, but I heard on the news today that in the future the drug could be used on several other types of cancer!

dicuss

Racks be to MisterJLA
Chant #512765 2005-05-20 7:46 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You can't cure cancer because cancer occurs at the genetic level.

Short of genetic manipluation, the best you can ever do will be to treat it.

Chant Offline OP
fudge
4000+ posts
OP Offline
fudge
4000+ posts
well, that's more or less what I meant, but still, it's exciting news, it gives a potential respite for those suffering from cancer.

On another note, have you ever heard of genetic manipulation? One should think that a disease occuring at the genetic level could be cured at the same level

Racks be to MisterJLA
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
You can't cure cancer because cancer occurs at the genetic level.

Short of genetic manipluation, the best you can ever do will be to treat it.

technically u can, u can engineer a virus that kills only cells that lack p53 and other tumor supressors, or kill cells that over express oncogenes. This is current research, so it will take time before they get it to work.

The Leg Breakerer: Kung Fu Masta!!!
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
the HER2/Neu receptor is a growth factor receptor i believe. Blocking this wont stop cancer it might slow it down though, to get cancer you need 6 mutations that either abolish the function of tumor supressors or over express oncogenes. HER2/Neu is only found in breast cancer so, blocking that receptor would only stop breast cancer from growing further. A better option would be to go after cells with mutations in P53 that result in no P53 activity( P53 is a protein that senses DNA damage and corrects it and can cause apoptosis). P53 damage is found in almost all cancers, so that would be a better protein to work on.

The Leg Breakerer: Kung Fu Masta!!!
Kaz Offline
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
You can't cure cancer

You're like.... Captain Killjoy.

Bob Burden said: Pie for the pirates, wine for the dogs.
Kaz #512770 2006-04-23 6:28 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Hybrid virus may help fight cancer

Using the cell-invading prowess of viruses and the hybrid concepts driving up automobile fuel efficiency these days, local scientists have found a way to light up cancerous tumors in mice like fireflies in the night.

What sounds like a genetics parlor trick may be an important step toward identifying cancer cells and zapping them before they spread and smother healthy organs.

By creating a hybrid out of two dissimilar viruses, researchers hope to be able to illuminate tumor cells, making it easier for doctors to target cancers and monitor treatments.

It also could provide a kick-start to the unfulfilled promise of gene therapy.

The hybrid virus created by Pasqualini and her colleagues at M.D. Anderson infected nearly 100 percent of the targeted cancerous cells, and the genes they delivered functioned for weeks or even months, a stunning success. The delivered genes produced fluorescent proteins that the researchers could easily see with imaging equipment.

With the new technique, Pasqualini said, it could be possible for cancer doctors and their patients to know almost immediately whether chemotherapy and other treatments are having any effect on tumors.

It's worth noting, however, that there have been past successes with small animals that haven't translated into larger mammals or humans.

Still, the research has garnered the attention of other cancer scientists. Not only does it appear to have solved the problems of targeting and delivery, but the hybrid virus seems to evade the body's immune system long enough to deliver its genetic payload.

researchers are testing the hybrid virus in dogs with cancerous tumors. Performing the study in large animals is the final step before the hybrid virus can be tested in humans, possibly within a few years.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Sounds very promising, but you'll still have the costs of imaging that you do now AND you'll have this new technology on top. I have a CT scan every year because of a high risk for hepatocellular carcinoma. It costs about a thousand dollars each time and examines one organ in the abdominal cavity. It might be cost effective for mammograms, MAYBE female reproductive organs as an alternative to pap smears if there is a safe and cheap imaging technology.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
NEW RX BATTLES CERVICAL CANCER

Millions of women's lives could be saved by a new miracle vaccine that wipes out the viruses that cause 70 percent of cervical-cancer cases.

The vaccine, called Gardasil, is safe and effective and should receive government approval, an FDA advisory panel voted unanimously yesterday.

Merck, the drug's maker, said the vaccine could slash deaths from cervical cancer - the second most common malignancy in women - by two-thirds.

The Food and Drug Administration's panel of outside experts voted 13-0 to recommend approval.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
As a side-note, I'd like to mention that discoveries like these wouldn't be possible without the theory of evolution and Gregor Mendel's laws.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:
As a side-note, I'd like to mention that discoveries like these wouldn't be possible without the theory of evolution and Gregor Mendel's laws.

Are you refering to the Dawinian Theory of Evolution? I'll assume you're not because that would be foolish. Sure research like this is based on Mendel's laws of succession as well as micro evolution, but to in anway attempt to link this success in anyway to the shoddy and incoclusive theory of macro evolution is rediculous. There has yet to be a single successfull prediction made based on the Darwinian model of macro evolution.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:

Are you refering to the Dawinian Theory of Evolution? I'll assume you're not because that would be foolish. Sure research like this is based on Mendel's laws of succession as well as micro evolution, but to in anway attempt to link this success in anyway to the shoddy and incoclusive theory of macro evolution is rediculous. There has yet to be a single successfull prediction made based on the Darwinian model of macro evolution.

I've never heard or read about a distinction between "macro" and "micro" evolution, in general and when for example bacterias resistent to antibiotics are discussed. And I read a lot of popular science.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
There must be evolution for advanced life forms as mammals as well as little developed life such as germs.

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
The difference between micro and macro evolution doesn't refer to the sise of the organism, but rather the scope of the evolution. Basically the observable phnomena of micro evolution is when a species evolves w/in the peramiters of the species. When bacteria develops resistances that falls into the category of microevolution.

This is different than the theory of macro evolution wich suggests that species can become new species.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
In Trials for New Cancer Drugs, Family Pets Are Benefiting, Too

pet owners are enrolling their dogs in medical trials meant to benefit humans and animals alike. And some animal advocates are applauding the development.

Most of the trials, often sponsored by drug companies or medical device makers, involve pets with cancer — a leading natural cause of death in older dogs — in which the animals receive groundbreaking drugs or other treatments that are eventually meant for people.

The drug giant Pfizer has already introduced a human cancer drug that was given an early test in pet dogs, and a California company, IDM Pharma, recently filed for federal approval of another cancer drug that received similar testing.

Treating dogs gives researchers an idea of whether and how the treatment will work in people, while at the same time possibly helping the pets.

“It can help in reshaping the image of animals in science, from being considered tools to being considered patients,” said Martin Stephens, the vice president for animal research issues at the Humane Society of the United States. “And we would love to see that change.”

The National Cancer Institute has set up a consortium of more than a dozen veterinary teaching hospitals to conduct the tests. The consortium has just completed its first study, with another to begin in a few weeks and several more planned for next year.

Government and academic scientists are also now setting up a nonprofit group to study DNA and tumor samples from pet dogs, in an effort to pinpoint genes associated with cancer in both dogs and people.

The government push is adding momentum to an approach in progress for several years among universities and medical centers that have been testing companies’ drugs and devices. Meanwhile, dogs whose owners enroll them in these trials often benefit from the best cancer treatments available.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
In Trials for New Cancer Drugs, Family Pets Are Benefiting, Too

pet owners are enrolling their dogs in medical trials meant to benefit humans and animals alike. And some animal advocates are applauding the development.

Most of the trials, often sponsored by drug companies or medical device makers, involve pets with cancer — a leading natural cause of death in older dogs — in which the animals receive groundbreaking drugs or other treatments that are eventually meant for people.

The drug giant Pfizer has already introduced a human cancer drug that was given an early test in pet dogs, and a California company, IDM Pharma, recently filed for federal approval of another cancer drug that received similar testing.

Treating dogs gives researchers an idea of whether and how the treatment will work in people, while at the same time possibly helping the pets.

“It can help in reshaping the image of animals in science, from being considered tools to being considered patients,” said Martin Stephens, the vice president for animal research issues at the Humane Society of the United States. “And we would love to see that change.”

The National Cancer Institute has set up a consortium of more than a dozen veterinary teaching hospitals to conduct the tests. The consortium has just completed its first study, with another to begin in a few weeks and several more planned for next year.

Government and academic scientists are also now setting up a nonprofit group to study DNA and tumor samples from pet dogs, in an effort to pinpoint genes associated with cancer in both dogs and people.

The government push is adding momentum to an approach in progress for several years among universities and medical centers that have been testing companies’ drugs and devices. Meanwhile, dogs whose owners enroll them in these trials often benefit from the best cancer treatments available.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
GARLIC AND ONIONS AS CANCER 'CURE'

People who flavor their diets with plenty of onions and garlic might have less chance of developing several types of cancer, a study suggests.

In an analysis of eight studies from Italy and Switzerland, researchers found that older adults with the highest onion and garlic intakes had the lowest risks of a number of cancers - including those of the colon, ovaries and throat.

The findings, which appear in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, are in line with some past research. But those studies were mainly conducted in China, where dietary habits are different and garlic intake is higher.

It had been unclear as to whether the results would be different in Western countries.

These latest findings suggest that the anti-cancer benefit of these vegetables extend to everyone, said Carlotta Galeone, lead author of the study and a researcher at the Mario Negri Institute of Pharmacologic Research in Milan, Italy.

It's still not certain that onions and garlic have a direct effect on cancer risk. It's possible, for instance, that onion and garlic lovers also have an overall diet that protects against cancer.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Housework cuts breast cancer risks

Women who keep their homes clean and tidy are less likely to develop breast cancer than those who let the dust and dishes pile up, according to a report. Researchers found regular moderate exercise such as housework provides greater protection from the disease than more strenuous but less frequent sporting activity.

Being active in the home cut the likelihood of pre-menopausal women developing breast cancer by 29 per cent compared with being inactive, and reduced the risk for post-meno-pausal women by 19 per cent. More than 12,400 women die from the disease in the UK every year.

Chant #512782 2007-06-03 6:44 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Shark Cartilage, Not a Cancer Therapy

Shark cartilage, a widely used alternative therapy for cancer, did not help patients with lung cancer live longer, according to the results of one of the first rigorous studies of the approach.

The studies were presented on Saturday here at the annual meeting of the American Society for Clinical Oncology, where the nation’s cancer doctors usually discuss the latest in chemotherapy and new biotechnology drugs.

It is relatively unusual for this meeting to highlight alternative therapies, but doctors here said that might be changing. They acknowledge that many of their patients are taking these supplements — widely available in health food stores — and asking them about them. So, they said, well-designed clinical trials are needed to determine whether these approaches are helpful or harmful.

The shark cartilage clinical trial was mandated by Congress and was sponsored by the National Cancer Institute. It tested a shark cartilage extract being developed as a drug by Aeterna Zentaris, a Canadian company.

Dr. Charles Lu of the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, the trial’s lead investigator, said there was reason to believe the cartilage might work. Cartilage has been found to contain factors that can impede the formation of blood vessels. And cutting off the blood supply to tumors has already been proven effective with other drugs.

But in the trial, those who received the shark cartilage extract lived a median of 14.4 months, meaning that half the patients had died by that point. Those who got a placebo had a median survival of 15.6 months.

The trial involved 384 patients in the United States and Canada with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. The shark cartilage extract was given as a liquid that patients drank twice a day.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Study: Liver cancer breakthrough found

For the first time, doctors say they have found a pill that improves survival for people with liver cancer, a notoriously hard to treat disease diagnosed in more than half a million people globally each year.

The results in a multinational study of 602 patients with advanced liver cancer are impressive and likely will change the way patients are treated, cancer specialists including the study authors say.

Patients got either two tablets daily of a drug called sorafenib or dummy pills in the study, which started in March 2005. Some patients are still alive, although on average, sorafenib patients survived 10.7 months versus almost 8 months for those on dummy pills.

That type of survival advantage "has never happened" with liver cancer "and is a major breakthrough in the management of the disease," said Dr. Josep Llovet, the lead author.

"That may not sound like a lot of time," but for liver cancer, "this is actually a quite impressive gain," said Dr. Nancy Davidson of Johns Hopkins' Bloomberg School of Public Health. "It is the first effective systemic treatment for liver cancer, which is such a huge problem internationally."

Link Copied to Clipboard