Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Danny Offline OP
4000+ posts
OP Offline
4000+ posts

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Yahoo! News

World

6 Blasts Rock London, Killing at Least Two
2 minutes ago

By JANE WARDELL, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - At least six blasts rocked the London subway and tore open a packed double-decker bus during the morning rush hour Thursday, police said, killing at least two people and injuring nine, prompting officials to shut down the entire underground transport network.

The near simultaneous explosions came a day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics and as the G-8 summit was getting underway in Scotland. Initial reports blamed a power surge, but officials were not ruling out an intentional attack.

"There have been a number of dreadful incidents across London today," said Home Secretary Charles Clarke, Britain's top law enforcement officer. He said there were "terrible injuries."

One witness, Darren Hall, said some passengers emerging from an evacuated subway station had soot and blood on their faces. He told BBC TV that he was evacuated along with others near the major King's Cross station and only afterward heard a blast.

Police confirmed an explosion destroyed a double-decker bus at Russell Square in central London and said they suspected a bomb caused the blast. Dow Jones Newswires reported that police said there were explosions on two others buses.

A witness at the Russell Square blast said the entire top deck of that bus was destroyed.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air," Belinda Seabrook told Press Association, the British news agency.

She said the bus was packed with people.

"It was a massive explosion and there were papers and half a bus flying through the air," she said.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who was hosting the world's most powerful leaders at Gleneagles, Scotland, was expected to make a statement at 7 a.m. EDT. It was not clear if the G-8 gathering focusing on climate change and aid for Africa — but from which Iraq has largely been left off the agenda — would have to be postponed.

Police said incidents were reported at the Aldgate station near the Liverpool Street railway terminal, Edgware Road and King's Cross in north London, Old Street in the financial district and Russell Square in central London, near the British Museum.

London Ambulance Service said several vehicles had been dispatched to the area near Liverpool Street station.

"We believe there was some sort of explosion. There are some walking wounded at Aldgate," said a spokesman for City of London police, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"We are not sure of the scale of the incident. Reports are still coming in."

Bradley Anderson, a subway passenger, told Sky News that "there was some kind of explosion or something" as his train reached the Edgware Road station in northeast London.

"Everything went black and we collided into some kind of oncoming train," Anderson said.

Simon Corvett, 26, who was on an eastbound train from Edgware Road station, said: "All of sudden there was this massive huge bang."

"It was absolutely deafening and all the windows shattered," he said. "There were just loads of people screaming and the carriages filled with smoke.

"You could see the carriage opposite was completely gutted," he said. "There were some people in real trouble."

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Fuck!

it's like being in the fucking eighties again!

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
this 80's Retro craze has got to stop.

Bow ties are coool.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Steve T said:
Fuck!

it's like being in the fucking eighties again!

Sorry, man, hope all is well in the UK.

Steve, good to see you again. My favorite hairy Englishman.

We all wear a green carnation.
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
I went horse riding in the US on Monday. My dad and I were making cracks about how the last time we rode in the US it was 911, what was going to happen this time. Took 3 fucking days.

25+ posts
25+ posts
See What happens when you let England get the Olympic's!!! the New York Mob Gets Pissed they didnt get the contract for the games

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Yeah real funny.
I got friends who work on the London Underground & as yet I dont know whether they were caught up in the explosions or not!

Maybe I shoulda took the piss outta 9/11 when it happened!

25+ posts
25+ posts
Phones....Now available to everyone, But at least it wasnt Us Irish again

Last edited by General Zod; 2005-07-07 12:55 PM.
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quit while you are ahead......I'm with Nowie here. There may be at least 40 dead so far. This is not something to joke about.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

General Zod said:
Phones....Now available to everyone, But at least it wasnt Us Irish again

Go fuck yourself!
You havent even got the balls to post under your main id!

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
good thought's for your friends. Let us know how they get on.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
fuck
I'm hearing 45 dead and 150 seriously injured.

I'll be praying for you guys over there.
Nowhereman, I hope you hear from your friends soon.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
The official count is two dead, but rumours of more at, I think, King's Cross.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I'm sending out a prayer for all of our brothers and sisters in London.

Shit like this in uncalled for.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050707/ap_on_re_mi_ea/britain_explosions_al_qaida

Quote:

Report: Islamic Group Claims London Blasts

CAIRO, Egypt -
A group calling itself "The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe" posted a claim of responsibility for Thursday's blasts in London, saying they were in retaliation for Britain's involvement in
Iraq and Afghanistan.

The authenticity of the message could not be immediately confirmed.

The statement, which also threatened attacks in Italy and Denmark, was published on a Web site popular with Islamic militants, according to Elaph, a secular Arabic-language news Web site, and Der Spiegel magazine in Berlin, which published the text on their Web sites.

"Rejoice, Islamic nation. Rejoice, Arab world. The time has come for vengeance against the Zionist crusader government of Britain in response to the massacres Britain committed in Iraq and Afghanistan," said the statement, translated by The Associated Press in Cairo. The AP was unable to access the Web site where it was posted, which was closed quickly after the reports.

The group al-Qaida in Europe claimed responsibility for the last major terror attack in Europe: a string of bombs that hit commuter trains in Madrid, Spain in March 2004, killing 191 people. Two days after that attack, a video was found in a trash can outside a Madrid mosque with a statement purported to be from the group's spokesman, called by the nickname "Abu Dujan al Afghani."

In the new statement, the group said "the heroic mujahedeen carried out a blessed attack in London, and now Britain is burning with fear and terror, from north to south, east to west."

"We warned the British government and the British people repeatedly. We have carried out our promise and carried out a military attack in Britain after great efforts by the heroic mujahedeen over a long period to ensure its success."

"We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all crusader governments that they will receive the same punishment if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan," the statement went on.

It was signed "The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe."

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
you know what's fucking bullshit is that these sumbag arabs use Iraq and Afghanistan as an excuse........but if it wasn't that it would be Palestine and if it wasn't that it would something else. Scum of the earth blames everyone but themselves for their problems.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Thankfully I have heard that both my friends were working (they are tube drivers,so you can understand why I was concerned) but were luckily enough not to be on those particular trains.

Whether it be arabs,the Irish or whoever,its still just a bunch of cowards who are stupid enough to think that killing innocent people will get them any kind of support or bring attention to their cause.
The only people who support them are idiots who already support them,and the only attention they get is against them,not for them!

Whether these people are right or wrong in their cause is not the point,its how they fight that cause thats wrong!
What did those people on the trains & busses have to do with anything thats been done wrong against them?

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Nowhereman -

I remember after 9/11 waiting to hear from friends to know if they were ok.

I truly hope that your friends are alright. Please let us know.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Whether it be arabs,the Irish or whoever,its still just a bunch of cowards who are stupid enough to think that killing innocent people will get them any kind of support or bring attention to their cause.

The problem is that these cowards always find a sizeable contingent of idiots who are stupid enough to think that if we are nice to terrorists they will leave us alone.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Thankfully I have heard that both my friends were working (they are tube drivers,so you can understand why I was concerned) but were luckily enough not to be on those particular trains.

I'm really glad they're alright.

Quote:

The only people who support them are idiots who already support them,and the only attention they get is against them,not for them!

Whether these people are right or wrong in their cause is not the point,its how they fight that cause thats wrong!
What did those people on the trains & busses have to do with anything thats been done wrong against them?

You're absolutely right. Terrorists only bring negative atention to their cause du jour while murdering innocents in the process. And yet, they continue to do it.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Over 30 dead now

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

The problem is that these cowards always find a sizeable contingent of idiots who are stupid enough to think that if we are nice to terrorists they will leave us alone.

Exactly.....the only way to deal with them is to kill them....all of them.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050707/ap_on_re_eu/britain_explosion_59

Quote:

Four London Blasts Kill 40, Injure 300
By JANE WARDELL, Associated Press Writer

LONDON -
Four blasts rocked the London subway and tore open a packed double-decker bus during the morning rush hour Thursday, sending bloodied victims fleeing after what a shaken Prime Minister Tony Blair called "barbaric" terrorist attacks. Two U.S. law enforcement officials said at least 40 people were killed and London hospitals reported more than 350 wounded.

Blair said the "terrorist attacks" were clearly designed to coincide with the G-8 summit opening in Gleneagles, Scotland. They also came a day after London won the bid to host the 2012 Olympics. A group calling itself "The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe" claimed responsibility.

The explosions hit three subway stations and a double-decker bus in rapid succession between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m. local time. Implementing an emergency plan, authorities immediately shut down the subway and bus lines that log 8.4 million passenger trips every weekday. It brought the city's transportation system to a halt.

"It was chaos," said Gary Lewis, 32, who was evacuated from a subway train at King's Cross station. "The one haunting image was someone whose face was totally black and pouring with blood."

Blair, flanked by fellow G-8 leaders, including President Bush, said: "We shall prevail and they shall not."

Earlier, a shaken Blair said, "Whatever they do, it is our determination that they will never succeed in destroying what we hold dear in this country and in other civilized nations throughout the world."

He departed by helicopter back to London, but said the meeting of the world leaders would continue. The G-8 summit's agenda got sidetracked, however, and they decided to delay declarations on climate change and the global economy.

Bush warned Americans to be "extra vigilant" as they head to work after the deadly explosions in London. He said he had conferred with federal homeland security officials back in Washington.

Much of Europe also went on alert. Italy's airports raised alert levels to a maximum. The Czech Republic, Hungary, Russia, the Netherlands, France and Spain also were among those announcing beefed-up security at shopping centers, airports, railways and subways.

The U.N. Security Council was to meet later Thursday to address the London attacks and was expected to pass a resolution condemning the blasts, an official said.

A group calling itself "The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe" posted a claim of responsibility, saying the blasts were in retaliation for Britain's involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The statement also threatened attacks in Italy and Denmark. It was published on a Web site popular with Islamic militants, according to Elaph, a secular Arabic-language news Web site, and Der Spiegel magazine in Berlin, which published the text on their Web sites.

The authenticity of the statement could not be immediately confirmed, but terrorism experts said the coordinated explosions had the trademarks of the al-Qaida network.

"This is clearly an al-Qaida style attack. It was well-coordinated, it was timed for a political event and it was a multiple attack on a transportation system at rush hour," said Lawrence Freedman, professor of war studies at King's College in London.

European stocks dropped sharply after the blasts, with exchanges in London, Paris and Germany all down about 2 percent. Insurance and travel-related stocks were hit hard, and the British pound also fell. Gold, traditionally seen as a safe haven, rose.

The explosions also unnerved traders on Wall Street, sending stocks down sharply in morning trading.

The U.S. officials who gave the death toll spoke on condition of anonymity because British officials have yet to make the toll public. U.S. authorities learned of the number from their British counterparts, according to the official.

Officials at seven major hospitals surveyed by The Associated Press reported 358 people had been wounded, including more than 120 who were treated and released.

London Mayor Ken Livingstone said the blasts that ripped through his city were "mass murder" carried out by terrorists bent on "indiscriminate ... slaughter."

"This was not a terrorist attack against the mighty or the powerful ... it was aimed at ordinary working-class Londoners," said Livingstone, in Singapore where he supported London's Olympic bid. Giselle Davies, an International Olympic Committee spokeswoman, said the committee still had "full confidence" in London.

Jay Kumar, a business owner near the site of the blast that destroyed a double-decker bus at Russell Square in central London, said he ran out of his shop when he heard a loud explosion. He said the top deck of the bus had collapsed, sending people tumbling to the floor.

Many appeared badly injured, and bloodied people ran from the scene.

"A big blast, a big bomb," he told The Associated Press. "People were running this way panicked. They knew it was a bomb. Debris flying all over, mostly glass."

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air," Belinda Seabrook told Press Association, the British news agency.

Traces of explosives were found at two explosion sites, a senior police official said. Police confirmed fatalities but had not confirmed any numbers by early afternoon.

Pope Benedict XVI deplored the "terrorist attacks," calling them "barbaric acts against humanity," and said he was praying for the victim's families.

Explosions were reported at the Aldgate station near the Liverpool Street railway terminal, Edgware Road and King's Cross in north London, Old Street in the financial district and Russell Square, near the British Museum.

"I saw lots of people coming out covered in blood and soot. Black smoke was coming from the station. I saw several people laid out on sheets," office worker Kibir Chibber, 24, said at the Aldgate subway station.

Simon Corvett, 26, on an eastbound train from Edgware Road station, described "this massive huge bang ... It was absolutely deafening and all the windows shattered."

"You could see the carriage opposite was completely gutted," he said. "There were some people in real trouble."

London's cell phone network was working after the explosions but was overloaded and spotty, limiting communication.

On March 11, 2004, terrorist bombs on four commuter trains in Madrid killed 191 people.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

That I disagree with as their is a knock on effect.
You kill them,and those that maybe wouldnt have gone to those extremes will then think "What my terrorist friends have been saying is right,they were killed by the barbaric warmongers for fighting their cause. Now I must become a terrorist as well & take up their fight for them!"

Ok,maybe thats a bit comedic,but its not entirely false.

While I am not saying fighting them is wrong,what I am saying is killing them just because,actually aids their misguided cause.

I dont believe the war on terrorism will ever be ended,but as the situation with the IRA has been lessened,there are always ways and means of dealing with terrorism that will be beneficial to both sides.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
True.....but the IRA had a political wing Sinn Fein with Gerry Adams and were willing to have diplomacy.....these people don't want to talk at all.....and if they do it's a joke like Yasser Arafat.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
I agree with Pete's above statement. Arafat was a joke, and at least the IRA had reps that one could try to reason with. With Al Queada its a "join us or die" mentality - there is absolutely no room to negotiate.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
This is pretty messed up. My first thought was that it was in response to the Olypics decision. Trying to ruin the Olympics before it even starts through intimidation. Oh and General ZOMOD, you're pretty f'd up to joke about this right now. I sure as hell wouldn't joke if you're shitty state got attacked.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
god this is really fucked

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Quote:

PJP said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

That I disagree with as their is a knock on effect.
You kill them,and those that maybe wouldnt have gone to those extremes will then think "What my terrorist friends have been saying is right,they were killed by the barbaric warmongers for fighting their cause. Now I must become a terrorist as well & take up their fight for them!"

Ok,maybe thats a bit comedic,but its not entirely false.

While I am not saying fighting them is wrong,what I am saying is killing them just because,actually aids their misguided cause.

I dont believe the war on terrorism will ever be ended,but as the situation with the IRA has been lessened,there are always ways and means of dealing with terrorism that will be beneficial to both sides.

you took the words right out of my mouth

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Amen!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

harleykwin said:
I agree with Pete's above statement. Arafat was a joke, and at least the IRA had reps that one could try to reason with. With Al Queada its a "join us or die" mentality - there is absolutely no room to negotiate.

Yes,but how many years did the IRA exist before the cease fire was finally agreed?
I would hope to god that it doesnt take as long to come up with a similar solution with regards to the arab states etc!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
agreed!

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Probably will.
Much as the IRA had rich benefactors (lots of whom didn't live in Ireland and worked on the back of romantic notions of the "old country") the Islamist terrorists have rich business men funding them.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:

Yes,but how many years did the IRA exist before the cease fire was finally agreed?
I would hope to god that it doesnt take as long to come up with a similar solution with regards to the arab states etc!

True, it took ages for the cease fire to be called, but it happened.
I've volunteered in the Israeli army for a few months, so admittedly my opinion is colored by my experiences there. Unfortunately, bc. of it, I don't hold out any hope regarding any dealings with Islamic terorists.

Last edited by harleykwin; 2005-07-07 3:25 PM.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I'm happy to hear all our brits are ok, as well as their friends. In what city does ROY live?

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:
I'm happy to hear all our brits are ok, as well as their friends. In what city does ROY live?

Wait, have we heard from all the Brits on the board? Everyone accounted for?

fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

Glad to hear your friends are okay Nowhereman!

Quote:

Oh, trust me, it'll bring attention, it'll bring loads of attention. The attention of the military of the greatest, strongest and most powerful nations in the world!
I heard in an interview with Bush Jr. that they had spoken about it at the G8 summit, and that they were all agreed on continuing the war against terror

Quote:

Second!

I've always been very steep on my principles. One mans crime does not justify another's etc. etc.

But acts like this is making me reconsider.

Racks be to MisterJLA
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Their saying that it now looks like it was done by suicide bombers.

SHOCKING!

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
A Reuters article had this headline--

London-like attack not expected in U.S.-officials

...Oh, like it was expected in London...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:

ROY lives on the outskirts of London like me,but he does work in the centre of London.
I believe he works nights though,so hopefully he wont have been around at that time!
I will try to contact him,to confirm he is ok!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard