Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
Sure it can. God Himself even admitted to the presence of other gods...several times in the bible. These were distinctly different references than passages addressed to 'false gods' or mere 'idols'. He did however assert that He overshadowed them all.

Zuh? What passages were these?

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
He might be talking about the Nephilim from the Grigori.

Amazing! Astonishing! Still can't get over the fantastic idea that when you are looking at a girl, you are looking at somebody who is guaranteed to have on her -- a cunt! They all have cunts! Right under their dresses! Cunts -- for fucking! Sunday-Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday-Saturday
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The "Sons of God", who helped give birth to the "Nephilim", were the descendents of Seth and Enus. They were very close to the lord, so they were titled as such. They weren't gods or angels.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
That's one of the beliefs, yes

Amazing! Astonishing! Still can't get over the fantastic idea that when you are looking at a girl, you are looking at somebody who is guaranteed to have on her -- a cunt! They all have cunts! Right under their dresses! Cunts -- for fucking! Sunday-Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday-Saturday
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
There's no evidence supporting anymore than that.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
But there are more beliefs, and that's what religion is mainly based upon.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that in regards of the context of that verse. I mean, there can only be one meaning for it. And there's evidence towards what that meaning is. It doesn't have to be ground on singularity alone--i.e. You have to note that verse and all the ones that surround it as well.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Call me "old fashion," but I believe that there is only one God....

and his name is Xenu....

and he lives in the lake next to my house.

Last edited by Randal_Flagg; 2005-08-21 2:54 AM.

I am a man with needs. Rack JLA!!!
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
No, I know that Seth and Enus were referred to as the "Sons of God". But some others believe that they were born of literal fallen angels. And as far as evidence goes, just as in a courtroom, it could be falsified. I don't know, (and really don't think) that you're one of the very very extreme Christians that believe the evidence of dinosaurs or evolution is just false evidence planted by the devil to make us doubtful of God's existence. I don't believe in all that but it does give the idea that any evidence supporting anything in the Bible could be fake. That's why I think evidence concerning religion shouldn't lead to conviction, and should stay based in faith and belief. I try to remain open minded about it and still hold onto my beliefs.

And FYI- Just so you know I really am an idiot when it comes to something like religion. I know very little in the way of facts from the Bible and most of what I know I just looked up on the internet five minutes ago. I base most of my beliefs on what little I do know and the life I've lived.

PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Jay, I find it hard to believe that the world was smart enough back in the 40's to realize that having a Jewish Israel would keep the Arabs occupied while the world sucked out their oil.

Thing is, looking at prophecies, God promised Ishmael he would be a great nation (or have many nations from him, I can't quite remember off hand), and he would be very well off. Ishmael inherited all the of Mideastern lands with oil. Isreal has none.

Other prophecies, if I'm not mistaken, tell of how the land will cultivate for the Jews. Before the Jews returned in large numbers to the land, it was desert, as it had been since Rome salted the land.

Look at the former settlements in the Sinai. Where once life flourished, now there is nothing. Look at Gaza. The real test on the children of Ishmael starts now. Will the land of Gaza flourish for them as it has for the Jews who lived there?

America needs Israel, but not as much as Israel needs America. People can say what they want about the situation in Iraq. If America wanted to take over the Mideast, no ammount of terrorism could stop them. America has nukes, and I'm willing to bet that there are those on the Christian right willing to use them for the sake if a Christian nation's survival and wealth.

Is that a harsh statemen? Yes. But it could happen. America is a great nation, but ill leadership can lead any antion astray.

In any case, you talk about how the free world benifits from a Jewish Israel. If I'm not mistaken, you say that this economic benifit of the world is what allows the religion to survive. So, what you are really saying is that the rest of the world benifits economically from a Jewish state. Isn't there a prophecy about that as well?

As for Judaism fitting your econimic argument, the current government is not a Jewish government. The proper system laid out by the Torah is not in place at this time. Who is getting filthy rich by people following Judaism according to the laws of the Torah? Who is accumulating land as an individual? If your point is that we as a nation are benifiting, well, we are a nation, and as a nation, there are certain economics involved in any nation's survival. Our religion as a part of our nationality. So I still don't see how Judaism is an abuse of the masses.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
I don't want to argue with you about the specifics of the Torah. You mentioned that you were Orthodox, I'll wager a Reformed Jew would tell me a very different interpretation. I'm glad you find comfort and wisdom in your Spiritual Practice. What I have been saying is that religion has been used as an instrument of social control. The Patrician class uses the belief in a better after life to convince the Plebians to suffer in this life. It may not be the case with Judaism, but you aren't the people that need to be controlled by a peacefull means. As I mentioned, the power elite have other means of dealing with mouthy Jews.

The basis of my argument is class struggle as discussed by Karl Marx, who was a Jew, BTW. In fact the post was kind of a joke to see if anyone recognized it as Marxist. No one did. Maybe you'z guys should get out more. Most of it was lifted directly from the writings of Marx, verbatim. I just changed the nouns from 'Marx believed' to 'I believe'.

What do they teach you kids in school these days!

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

do you realize that you spelled ridiculous wrong twice within a few words of each other?

Nope, nor do I care.

Quote:

You make the assumption that because something is complex beyond your understanding then it must be the work of God.

No, acctually, I don't assume that. I believe them to be the work of God, because the alternitive it to violate one of the most basic laws of logic. That being that from nothing, nothing comes. You assume (I don't really presume to know what you think, but since you're so vain as to presume what I think, I'll play along) that complex orginisms sprung from nothing. Also you assume that scientists don't believe in God and that the reason is because they've unraveled the mysteries of the universe.

Quote:

Now we know a bit more about the universe, and the people who really study science hardcore believe less and less in god.

In that case why is it then that the hard sciences, like chemistry and phisics, scientists tend to believe in God a great deal than those dealing primarily in conjecture. You seem to just accept what secularism teaches you with a sort of "blind faith" and that's not healthy

Quote:

The world is moving towards secularism not because of amoral video games and movies, but because as a race humanity is beginning to demystify the universe through scientific study.

Do you know how many times that's been said throughout history. Considering that in the most advanced nation in the world today over 90% of people believe in God I'd hardly say that secularism is getting a greater foothold, so I'd say your premise is flawed (Not that that's ever stopped you before)

Quote:

Give us a thousand years and I doubt anyone will believe in god anymore.

Yea, that's what they said a thousand years ago. I can guarentee in a thousand years, you'll believe in God.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

klinton said:
Quote:

Chant said:
who created god?

God is eternal, the begining and the end.

everything has a beginning. one could argue that, if god(s) are real, since every culture developed their own pantheons then there are several gods who have had their day and then died.

Who says everthing has a beginning? God has no beginning nor was he created. He's self existant.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

klinton said:
Quote:

Chant said:
who created god?

everything has a beginning. one could argue that, if god(s) are real, since every culture developed their own pantheons then there are several gods who have had their day and then died.

Who says everthing has a beginning? God has no beginning nor was he created. He's self existant.

that's a very limited view of the universe. Just because you can't see or perceive the beginning of time and space doesn't mean it's infinite and eternal.
Many cultures believe(d) that we're just one incarnation of the universe that has been created and ended thousands of times over.
A two thousand year old book may not be the wisest and truest thing in the universe.

Bow ties are coool.
PenWing Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Jay, it's been a while since I've read Marx. And I find no validity to his statements about religion. The fact he was a Jew means nothing to me. Being born a Jew and actually living as a Jew are two very different things.

While Marx is correct, as are you, in that religion has and continues to be abused, that is human nature. However, just because religion can be abused doesn't mean it isn't good for society. Going back to the econimic model, anyone can abuse any economic system. The Communists in Russia destroyed themselves through abuse of their system. America is not in very good shape because our government is abusing the system, with many politicians looking to get rich instead of looking to do their jobs.

My point in singling out one religion, is that I treated your post as a theory. To disprove a theory, (or am I thinking a hypothosis?) there only needs to be one specific example that does not follow the line of thought. It either works on the broad basis, or it doesn't.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

klinton said:
Quote:

Chant said:
who created god?

if God's self existant, how can it then be so hard to believe that the vast and complex construct known as our universe could have sprung up by itself through billions and more billions of years?

you might say that's unlikely, but remember Einstein's law, or whatever you call it, matter can't be created, only changed to a different form through a process, such changes occur naturally in nature.

Racks be to MisterJLA
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

klinton said:
Sure it can. God Himself even admitted to the presence of other gods...several times in the bible. These were distinctly different references than passages addressed to 'false gods' or mere 'idols'. He did however assert that He overshadowed them all.

Well, the one commandment says "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." Not, "There are no other gods." It kinda implies there are other gods.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:

You're the 'religious expert'...you should be aware of these things more than I. You can enter the word 'gods' (lower case and plural, as most translations render it) into a Bible search engine and find the passages. This though will only give you the translations, not the different words used in the original manuscripts or thier connotations. That should be a matter you would be aware of yourself or willing to look into, being an expert on the divine and not a church fed puppet.

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
25+ posts
25+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

klinton said:

Well, the one commandment says "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." Not, "There are no other gods." It kinda implies there are other gods.

Here's another way to look at it.

Back then, many people believed that other gods existed besides the one God (in some cases, instead of the One.) Time and again, the Israelites would drift back to idol worship. So the Bible might not be implying that these other gods actually existed - just acknowledging that people thought they existed, and so a commandment was put in place to acknowledge no other but the One.

"Just because I don't like to fight doesn't mean that I can't."
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
I think that's an accurate assesment of the passage, Methos. The Bible often mentions things like money, pleasure and even the devil himself as being 'gods'...but not in the same sense when God refers to 'other gods', a distinct reference to spiritual bieings. This confusion is a product of translation, rather than the spirit of of the initial texts.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:

It implies no such thing. He's saying not to believe in any other gods but him. That doesn't mean to literally put any before Him because there's none there to put forward. For someone to even be considered "God", or a god if you wish, in the purest of definitions, that would imply someone actually worthy of worship. He makes it clear there's nothing else in existence that's actually worthy.

Quote:

klinton said:
You're the 'religious expert'...you should be aware of these things more than I.

Stop stalling and cough up the passages that reveal to us the existence of more than one God.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

King Snarf said:

It implies no such thing. He's saying not to believe in any other gods but him. That doesn't mean to literally put any before Him because there's none there to put forward. For someone to even be considered "God", or a god if you wish, in the purest of definitions, that would imply someone actually worthy of worship. He makes it clear there's nothing else in existence that's actually worthy.

What's the weather like up your own ass?
The damn commadment doesn't have an asterix explaining that it means there are no gods to put before him but he felt like saying it in case people were wondering where gods should be put if new ones are discovered.

Stop being an idiot, Pariah. Just...stop...now.

Bow ties are coool.
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Stop stalling and cough up the passages that reveal to us the existence of more than one God.

I'm not stalling...I have no intention of doing the legwork on this one. I told you how to start your own search for this, and if you gave a damn you'd look into it.

While you're on the topic of stalling, you still owe me at least one article to support your bullshit allegations a few months ago.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
I think that's an accurate assesment of the passage, Methos. The Bible often mentions things like money, pleasure and even the devil himself as being 'gods'...but not in the same sense when God refers to 'other gods', a distinct reference to spiritual bieings. This confusion is a product of translation, rather than the spirit of of the initial texts.

The term "gods" is also used in a manner that could best be described as "sacastic". Where teh Scripture will refer to Pharoes or Greek gods as "gods", but isn't acctually verifying thier "godhood". It will say things such as you say there are "gods" or you believe that your "gods" etc... The scriptures say that "There is no god before me" this doesn't mean before as in prior it means in my sights or presence. Considering that the scriptures teach that God is omnipresent therefore that would rule out any other gods anywhere.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
The damn commadment doesn't have an asterix explaining that it means there are no gods to put before him but he felt like saying it in case people were wondering where gods should be put if new ones are discovered.

I don't recall the topic of conversation maintaining a skeptic outlook. If you wanna argue my point, you'll have to do so in context.

Quote:

klinton said:
I'm not stalling...I have no intention of doing the legwork on this one. I told you how to start your own search for this, and if you gave a damn you'd look into it.

Way to make a point. I mean, considering you're the one trying to prove to me that there's more than one "god". Just give me one verse. Just one.

Quote:

While you're on the topic of stalling, you still owe me at least one article to support your bullshit allegations a few months ago.

?

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:

Way to make a point. I mean, considering you're the one trying to prove to me that there's more than one "god"

I wasn't trying to prove anything, just making a comment. You asked what I was talking about. Even if I did all the reading and presented you with texts and the original wording....you'd still be all 'but this is this, cause the church told me so'.

I told you how to go about finding it, and if you really cared you'd look. I'm not here to prove or disprove anything for you Pariah. I learned long ago the impossiblitly of talking rationaly to you.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
No, I won't point out the verse because you'll prove me wrong.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
I'm not here to prove or disprove anything for you Pariah. I learned long ago the impossiblitly of talking rationaly to you.

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Any of you guys ever read Friedrich Nietzsche ?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

Yes, why?

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

Yes, why?

That's my homie. We used to drink 40's together...

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

theory9 said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

Yes, why?

That's my homie. We used to drink 40's together...

Was that before or after he went insane and thought that he was Jesus and his sister sold tickets to come see him as a raving lunatic?

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
...don't forget about her releasing phony manuscripts.

Yeah, it was about that time...

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

Yes, why?

Too, late to get into it tonight. The discussion above made me think of him and the Geneolgy of Morals, the Anti-Christ, etc....

But here's a banana for your monkey!

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I know where this is going and just so's you know: Nietzsche's analysis of Christianity and religion in general was patently flawed. Everything else was pretty good though.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
No.
Fuckin.
Clue.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
I know where this is going and just so's you know: Nietzsche's analysis of Christianity and religion in general was patently flawed. Everything else was pretty good though.

God is dead, Pariah. Why don't you join him? Jesus may love you but I think you're garbage wrapped in skin.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
It's not my fault your reference didn't get his facts straight before he made his anti-christian thesis.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
It's not my fault your reference didn't get his facts straight before he made his anti-christian thesis.

Facts have nothing to do with it. Not that you'll ever know...

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:

That was not about Friedrich Nietzsche, you idiot. It was my personal feelings toward you!

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard