Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1 post
OP Offline
1 post
Where the fuck are the pictures: The Thrawn Duology

These are the final Star Wars books published by Bantam Books. These are the books that closed almost all the plotlines from the previous books. A very fitting end to a great run.

The story starts out twenty years after the A new hope, and ten years after the Thrawn Trilogy. Admiral Pellaeon is the supreme commander of the Empire's fleet. Not that it matters anymore. The empire is horrible shape. Virtually every world they used to control is now part of the New Republic. Pellaeon knows what has to be done, make peace with the New Republic.

But the New Republic can not make peace with itself. There is infighting in the senate, and corruption is rampant. The senate if full of power hungry oppurtunists, and no one can work together. Everything is made worse by the supposed return of grand Admiral Thrawn, who is actually a fake, a skam artist put in place by Moss Difra in an attempt to gain control over the Empire.

were these books as good as The Thrawn Trilogy? I don't think so. I felt that these books were trying to hard to be the original Thrawn books. Sure we got the end of the empire, Luke and Mara Jade getting engaged, and finally learning about Thrawns past, but I think both books were lacking in one major way. Too many plots. there was one that could have been easily left out. It was like Zahn was trying to stretch one book into two.

There were still many things I loved about them. Pellaeon was extremely well written and relatable. The scene where he found out about Thrawn coming back was heartbreaking. The Corran Horn-Wedge Antilles storyline was also very good, but I'm a big fan of both those characters so I may be biased a little. The Luke and Mara parts were good, especially near the end when they make a surprising discovery.

Overall I enjoyed these books. I felt these books were the end of an era. (I'll save my rant on the New Jedi Order for later.)

four out of five stars.

Kaz Offline
500+ posts
500+ posts
I read the first one but it didn't excite me like the original trilogy. And I've always really liked Pallaeon as a character. I'm also really glad Zahn got to "book-end" the post Star Wars fiction, he was perfect for the job. If only Lucas had allowed Zahn to write the prequels... *sigh*

Nice review.

Bob Burden said: Pie for the pirates, wine for the dogs.
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
a great end to a great series IMO. ive got a friend who i introduced to the expanded stuff and he is coming up on these books soon

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Kaz said:
If only Lucas had allowed Zahn to write the prequels... *sigh*

Zahn has two "prequel era" books coming out soon.
The first one is a book about the outbound flight project.

I'm hoping they make up for the prequels.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Do you have to have read the zillions of others to get this? I wanted to read these....but I only read the original trilogy, and the anthology about Jabba's palace. Will this all make sense if I haven't read the others?

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
It will be confusing, but readable.

You should at least read the Thrawn Trilogy first. Some say you should also read I Jedi, so you know more about Corran Horn.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
yeah i would suggest reading the first thrawn trillogy( a great read)before reading these otherwise you wont realize just how cool admiral thrawn is

"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
It will be confusing, but readable.

You should at least read the Thrawn Trilogy first. Some say you should also read I Jedi, so you know more about Corran Horn.

I read the original trilogy, I said that. Thrawn is the blue guy with the force depleteing lizards, right? That was where we met Mara Jade, and the clone Jedi.

So, other than those books, I'm ok?

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I wasn't sure what you meant from orignal trilogy.

you're ready to read the duology now.
All the other books add to it, but their not necessary to understand whats going on.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
You should read I, Jedi. It's an amazing book told in first person.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I, Jedi is on my to be reviewed list.

I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

rex said:
I, Jedi will is on my to be reviewed list.

Either someone was a tad drunk or just wasn't typing well...

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
thats one of the few i didnt read. that and the black fleet trillogy

fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
I, Jedi is actually a very well written story.

I might be biased seeing as Stackpole is one of my favourite authors. His problem is that he really isn't fit for Star Wars. If you read some of his other stuff you'll see how good a writer he really is.
But I, Jedi is a really good book which I suggest you pick up

Of his other works I reccomend The Dark Glory War and the Dragoncrown War Cycle

And yeah, I found the hand of Thrawn series to be a bit stretched myself

Last edited by Chant; 2005-07-23 9:27 AM.

Racks be to MisterJLA
6000+ posts
6000+ posts

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Rex said: Just remember, who ever did this let me get to them. Thats how sad they are. And their too chicken shit to post under their real id. Yup, they're winning. You guys really got me this time.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Been two weeks now
Kitchen stinks now
Finally got the guts to saunter in
And don a pair of gloves

And the janitor sleeping in a drum
Janitor I’ve become

Bubbles bristles
Thorns and thistles
Liquid sticks to things
That never should be seen by anyone

Like the janitor sleeping in a drum
Janitor I’ve become

And it amazes me how easily things go away
A chemical for every need
And someone else’s problem when I leave

Is the janitor sleeping in a drum
Janitor you’ll become
You’ll become.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Here's the fucking pictures!

brother from another mother
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Warning, Spoiler:
I, Jedi is a novel, written by Michael A. Stackpole that is set in the Star Wars galaxy, and was meant to be a follow up or midquel to Kevin J. Anderson's previous Jedi Academy Trilogy. It was the first Star Wars novel written in the first-person perspective of a character never seen in the movies.

The novel takes place around the same time as Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy. Like the Jedi Academy Trilogy, I, Jedi is notable in that it provides a detailed, first-hand look at the training of a Jedi Knight. The novel revisits many of the situations first presented by Anderson. Stackpole, however, is often commended for retconning parts of the Jedi Academy Trilogy into a much more logical storyline.[citation needed]

Plot
In I, Jedi, Corran Horn must develop his Jedi powers in order to save the life of his wife, Mirax Terrik.

Corran Horn was a member of the elite X-wing force Rogue Squadron. After returning home from a long campaign to find his wife kidnapped, he turns to Luke Skywalker, the only remaining Jedi Master at the time, for help. This coincides nicely with the Master's timing, as he is seeking students for his new Jedi Academy on Yavin 4. Corran knows that he is Force-sensitive, and that only with the Force as his ally can he track down his enemy.

It turns out that Corran's wife, Mirax, was tracking down a group of elusive pirates known as the Invids. The Invids' primary tactic is to drop out of hyperspace with the flagship, an Imperial Star Destroyer named the Invidious, strike, and disappear with perfect timing. As she grew closer to solving the mystery of how these pirates performed their supernaturally accurate attacks, she was kidnapped and placed into stasis on their fortress planet. On the journey to save Mirax, Corran learns that his grandfather was a Jedi, a member of the Halcyon line. His adopted grandfather shows Corran the records that the Jedi had left behind, and with that, Corran eventually makes up his mind to follow in his ancestor's footsteps and become a Jedi. After extensive training and being caught in a crisis involving the risen spirit of the Dark Sith Lord Exar Kun, Corran goes as far as he can, and infiltrates the pirates using his CorSec training. He quickly rises through the ranks, and finds out where Mirax is being held. With the timely help of Luke Skywalker and his squadron friend and wingman, Ooryl Qrygg, he fights his way past the Jensaarai, a splinter group of Jedi who focus on stealth and premonition, and into the fortress, where he is able to rescue his wife.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
Warning, Spoiler:
I, Jedi is a novel, written by Michael A. Stackpole that is set in the Star Wars galaxy, and was meant to be a follow up or midquel to Kevin J. Anderson's previous Jedi Academy Trilogy. It was the first Star Wars novel written in the first-person perspective of a character never seen in the movies.

The novel takes place around the same time as Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy. Like the Jedi Academy Trilogy, I, Jedi is notable in that it provides a detailed, first-hand look at the training of a Jedi Knight. The novel revisits many of the situations first presented by Anderson. Stackpole, however, is often commended for retconning parts of the Jedi Academy Trilogy into a much more logical storyline.[citation needed]

Plot
In I, Jedi, Corran Horn must develop his Jedi powers in order to save the life of his wife, Mirax Terrik.

Corran Horn was a member of the elite X-wing force Rogue Squadron. After returning home from a long campaign to find his wife kidnapped, he turns to Luke Skywalker, the only remaining Jedi Master at the time, for help. This coincides nicely with the Master's timing, as he is seeking students for his new Jedi Academy on Yavin 4. Corran knows that he is Force-sensitive, and that only with the Force as his ally can he track down his enemy.

It turns out that Corran's wife, Mirax, was tracking down a group of elusive pirates known as the Invids. The Invids' primary tactic is to drop out of hyperspace with the flagship, an Imperial Star Destroyer named the Invidious, strike, and disappear with perfect timing. As she grew closer to solving the mystery of how these pirates performed their supernaturally accurate attacks, she was kidnapped and placed into stasis on their fortress planet. On the journey to save Mirax, Corran learns that his grandfather was a Jedi, a member of the Halcyon line. His adopted grandfather shows Corran the records that the Jedi had left behind, and with that, Corran eventually makes up his mind to follow in his ancestor's footsteps and become a Jedi. After extensive training and being caught in a crisis involving the risen spirit of the Dark Sith Lord Exar Kun, Corran goes as far as he can, and infiltrates the pirates using his CorSec training. He quickly rises through the ranks, and finds out where Mirax is being held. With the timely help of Luke Skywalker and his squadron friend and wingman, Ooryl Qrygg, he fights his way past the Jensaarai, a splinter group of Jedi who focus on stealth and premonition, and into the fortress, where he is able to rescue his wife.

my favorite sw book and also my favorite expanded universe character.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
This is so much cooler than the Star Trek threads.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
thats because theres no sign of jerry

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Now your starting to act like the white folk.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
i know. ive been here too long \:\(

the Offline
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
iggy argumentative User Your Write-In Choice for the 2016 Election
500+ posts Tue Sep 23 2008 12:11 AM Viewing list of forums

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
the "Who's Online" obsessor drunk User 3000+ posts Tue Sep 23 2008 12:11 AM Reading a post
Forum: Media
Thread: Where the fuck are the pictures? Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn Duology

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
500+ posts Tue Sep 23 2008 12:12 AM Making a new reply
Thread: Re: Where the fuck are the pictures? Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn Duology

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
the "Who's Online" obsessor drunk User 3000+ posts Tue Sep 23 2008 12:11 AM Reading a post

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
the "Who's Online" obsessor drunk User 3000+ posts Tue Sep 23 2008 12:16 AM Reading a post

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
500+ posts Tue Sep 23 2008 12:16 AM Making a new reply
Thread: Re: Where the fuck are the pictures? Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn Duology

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
the "Who's Online" obsessor drunk User 3000+ posts Tue Sep 23 2008 12:17 AM Reading a post

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
500+ posts Tue Sep 23 2008 12:18 AM Reading a post

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
the "Who's Online" obsessor drunk User 3000+ posts Tue Sep 23 2008 12:18 AM Reading a post

the Offline
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
500+ posts Tue Sep 23 2008 12:18 AM Making a new reply

Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
Society's Discontent
6000+ posts
the "Who's Online" obsessor drunk User 3000+ posts Tue Sep 23 2008 12:19 AM Reading a post

THE Franta
3000+ posts
THE Franta
3000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the "Who's Online" obsessor
500+ posts Tue Sep 23 2008 12:18 AM Making a new reply

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH
YOU KNOW HOW TO BSAMS

OH NO

I MEAN LLANCE

OH I MEAN

NADA

YOU PUT SOUP IN IT!
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
TACOS

Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch
Warning, Spoiler:

Plot

It's just too bad that his character hasn't gotten more attention in the EU. I really got to like Corran in I, Jedi and became a fan. Now he's just kinda in the background.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts

Plot

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Bianca
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sammitch
Warning, Spoiler:

Plot

It's just too bad that his character hasn't gotten more attention in the EU. I really got to like Corran in I, Jedi and became a fan. Now he's just kinda in the background.

I haven't read anything since the huge alien attack cross over books. From what I've seen I don't think I'd like the newer books.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard