Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Sure they did.

I didn't watch a second of it, but look at what happened:

Eugune and Angle fight with no resolution: but they'll meet again at the PPV!

Hogan and Michaels argue with each other, with no actual match, but they'll wrestle: at the PPV!

So on, and so forth.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
but, see, you're wrong.

which makes sense, since you didn't/never watch it.

giant picture
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Here are the highlights!!
Jericho walks down a corridor!!
The WWE Championship belt spins!
Matt Hardy is carried down a corridor!!
Shawn Michaels walks down a corridor!!!
Nowhereman says "shite" & thanks fuck the show is over!!!!
Rob is NOT happy!!!

What a great show!!!

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:
but, see, you're wrong.

which makes sense, since you didn't/never watch it.

So the evening was filled with great matches that had actual endings, and not lead-ins to the PPV?

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
no.

the evening was filled with some general crap.

yes, there is a tradition of hyping, and even overhyping, a ppv through out every "regular" show. thats both fine and expected. hell, thats the whole process -- its a story with chapters and an "ending" at the ppv.

but tonights show didn't really have any build up.

the hogan / hbk ppv match should be in the top tier of all time matches -- not in art, or anything, but in sheer fanboy dream factor. its two of the biggest icons in the biz of all time.

... but the story and progression of their match is falling dreadfully flat.

WATCH a show. find out.

giant picture
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I have WATCHed shows.

It's the same song and dance over and over. They've been doing the same shit for years.

Matches get interrupted with commercials. Announcers pontificate about PPV matches *during* the match they are supposed to be commentating on.

“Beautiful arm drag! Hey, speaking of arm drags, what’s going to happen at SummerSlam, when John Cena tries to arm drag Chris Jericho for the WWE title?”

Big "contract signings" and interviews are nothing more than PPV hype.

Wrestlers mention <insert PPV name here> in their interviews about, oh say, a billion times.

Etc, etc.

You're looking at it
200+ posts
You're looking at it
200+ posts
If Kurt Angle is such a hometown hero, why did he call the fans "blue collar idiots" even though they cheer for him and boo Eugene? Script or no script, that's not cool.

I spit in the face of people who don't want to be cool.

"Please explain to me how a shoulder injury can stop you from refereeing. Surely he could count to three with his other arm!" - Nöwheremän

-6,000 points
(That's 6,000 below zero for you non-math-gifted mods who are not cool enough to know that one million has six zeros (not nine))
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Cause he's a "bad guy".

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
tv shows are nothing more than 8 minutes of repeated melodrama to sell commercial space. cartoons are half hour commercials for action figures. comic books are a quick and easy way to take $2 from a fat kid.

you can reduce any thing to that level of bull shit. thats also the best and simplest way to simply ignore any ounce of good that might come from it -- an aspect you clearly ignore or miss, routinely.

you pick on wrestling and sports on a regular basis, despite always claiming to never watch them. you're the pariah of this forum! and, i gotta say, its one of the lamest things in the world to pick on something without giving it an honest chance to like, or even understand it.

raw and smackdown aren't shakespeare, no. its not biblical prose, its not hollywood effects. ...but they can be pretty damn fun sometimes. its 2 quick hours of fun lil bursts of entertainment.

cool storylines, bit swerves, exciting matches... it can be pretty damn cool

yes, as said, there is an established formula of starting a story, progressing it over a few weeks, then finalizing it at the "finale" show, aka the pay per view. and, yes, that means that you'll hear the storytellers promote the final battle / payoff moment along the way.

but the goal is to keep you entertained on that path.

before, i compared the hogan / hbk match to the first hogan / rock match, in terms of "hype" importance. in the latter, it was a few short weeks of really great story build up. yes, they were all split with "watch wm x8" commercials, but so what? the faceoffs were intense, the story was building, and the hype was all there to pay off.

the former, however, is, so far, pretty poor. and no, not because they just quickly push the payperview bit. ... in fact, in their final little 30 minute saga this evening, that didn't happen much, at all.

rather, it was just a poor progression of an already poor set up.

that is something you'd pick up on if you'd watch it.

then, you could come here and write abotu all the various reasons why you hate the story and how you'd make it better and yadda yadda, adding to the conversation and fueling MB debates forever more.

its fun. try it.

giant picture
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Quote:

allan1 said:
Here are the highlights!!
Jericho walks down a corridor!!
The WWE Championship belt spins!
Matt Hardy is carried down a corridor!!
Shawn Michaels walks down a corridor!!!
Nowhereman says "shite" & thanks fuck the show is over!!!!
Rob is NOT happy!!!

What a great show!!!

Great review!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:

you pick on wrestling and sports on a regular basis, despite always claiming to never watch them. you're the pariah of this forum! and, i gotta say, its one of the lamest things in the world to pick on something without giving it an honest chance to like, or even understand it.

I'm a recovering fan of both. It's been years since, but I used to be.

Quote:

tv shows are nothing more than 8 minutes of repeated melodrama to sell commercial space. cartoons are half hour commercials for action figures. comic books are a quick and easy way to take $2 from a fat kid.

The shilling that goes on during WWE broadcasts is in a league of its own. Practically nothing ever happens. Look through some of the old Nowhereman reviews. In a 2 hour + show, you get 3-4 matches, most of which suck, and the last usually has some lame ass "cliffhanger" ending.

Compare that to an average sitcom or cartoon. There may be some reoccurring plots, but when's the last time you saw an episode of Justice League or Batman that wasn't self-contained? Did you ever see an episode that ended with "What's going to happen when the 30 dollar DVD hits Best Buy on August 30th?"

I think 95% of what's on TV is pure crap, so I'm not going to argue that point too much, but like I said, the WWE shows take hype and commercialization to new depths.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
WWE is far too overhyped. Over the last several years they've hit new levels of hype that far exceed what they did even during their peak business eras.

It's common for Raw and Smackdown to have constant product shilling all throughout the show. Popup ads for magazines, dvds, and various other merchandise appear onscreen constantly. It's much more than just attempting to promote the next ppv. It's very aggravating and one of many reasons why I stopped watching.

Compare to any TNA show, and even the recent ECW ppv, and there's a lot more focus and emphasis on the wrestling and storytelling. There are still ads and hype, yes. But not nearly to the extent of an average episode of Raw or Smackdown.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
RACK Grimm.

1,500 points.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

MisterJLA said:
I'm a recovering fan of both. It's been years since, but I used to be.

bring it back.

makes discussions on the subject much more fun... and balanced!

Quote:

MisterJLA said:
when's the last time you saw an episode of Justice League or Batman that wasn't self-contained? Did you ever see an episode that ended with "What's going to happen when the 30 dollar DVD hits Best Buy on August 30th?"

if you want to get that nitpicky, JL is simply a different kind of shilling.

the justice league toons' sole (sole!) purpose for existing was to generate a new line of toys. its a licensing powerhouse. you put whatever the fuck you want in a 30 minute block, you have guaranteed sales of figures, shirts, dvds, posters, placemats, and a hundred other items... many of which are advertised during, and between, JL segments. 4 batman cartoon incarnations in 8 years isn't a coincidence.

to you (and me) that maybe good tv. but dont be fooled into thinking its any less of a market ploy than the wwe hype machine.

by comparison, the wwe puts out 4 hours of new, never repeated (directly, cough cough) content every week. free. half on public tv! thats pretty damn good.

thats dozens of storylines, dozens of matches, dozens of converging paths in any given month.

the quality of which is up to the viewer. and yeah, to me, a lot of it is more "miss" than "hit" lately. but think about it ... its a 650+ episode on-going story. y'gonna tell me every episode of justice league was gold? simpsons? seinfeld? anything?!

overall, thats some pretty good stuff.

giant picture
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Rob Kamphausen said:

you can reduce any thing to that level of bull shit. thats also the best and simplest way to simply ignore any ounce of good that might come from it -- an aspect you clearly ignore or miss, routinely.

raw and smackdown aren't shakespeare, no. its not biblical prose, its not hollywood effects. ...but they can be pretty damn fun sometimes. its 2 quick hours of fun lil bursts of entertainment.

cool storylines, bit swerves, exciting matches... it can be pretty damn cool

yes, as said, there is an established formula of starting a story, progressing it over a few weeks, then finalizing it at the "finale" show, aka the pay per view. and, yes, that means that you'll hear the storytellers promote the final battle / payoff moment along the way.

but the goal is to keep you entertained on that path.

before, i compared the hogan / hbk match to the first hogan / rock match, in terms of "hype" importance. in the latter, it was a few short weeks of really great story build up. yes, they were all split with "watch wm x8" commercials, but so what? the faceoffs were intense, the story was building, and the hype was all there to pay off.

the former, however, is, so far, pretty poor. and no, not because they just quickly push the payperview bit. ... in fact, in their final little 30 minute saga this evening, that didn't happen much, at all.

rather, it was just a poor progression of an already poor set up.

that is something you'd pick up on if you'd watch it.

then, you could come here and write abotu all the various reasons why you hate the story and how you'd make it better and yadda yadda, adding to the conversation and fueling MB debates forever more.

its fun. try it.

Sounds like someone has sand in their vagina.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
great, all the pedophiles are uniting!

giant picture
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
!

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
they're attracted by those pics of you in your Robin costume.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
!!!

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
how did rex get into your underwear drawer!?

...again?!

giant picture
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
the same way I got into yours.

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
hide your socks.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Luckily, I only caught the first hour or so, before having to go to work for Madden Midnight Madness. Having said that, I thought Edge's promo was the highlight. That was actually very well done. I was thinking to myself, "Now THAT'S how you do a heel promo!" He said why he didn't like Matt, and brought up the past events while still being unlikable.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
The comments about RAW/Smackdown being little more than tools for selling PPVs is correct,and quite frankly thats how they should be,that is not the problem.
The problem is the fact that the actual selling should at least be backed up with a good product.
You dont expect all the best matches to be on the weekly shows,cause lets face it,who would buy a PPV if you knew it was gonna be less or the same as the free weekly show?
The other problem is the PPVs have been very week for the most part.

Comparing WWE to other tv programes like Batman is a bit wide of the mark as you dont buy PPVs for them,so their episodes will always be more entertaining & self contained.

If you were gonna produce PPVs where you make lots of money,would you:
a)under promote it?
b)negate the chances of selling a PPV by making it no more impressive than a weekly show?

We all know WWE has been producing some very shitty products in recent years,but ever now & then they come up with a true diamond of a match or angle,but then the diamond loses its sparkle as its surrounded by a big steaming pile of shit.

Also,with all the build up we get to PPVs,why do we often get PPV matches that have absolutely no heat (such as the recent Benoit/Jordan US title math)?

With all this experience in the business,WWE should be getting better & better,but without the competition (TNA isnt big enuff yet,and will prolly never be) WWE has become lazy and to damn complacent!

25+ posts
25+ posts
Some notes from someone who attended the show live:

Angle's comment about "blue collar fans" was exactly what a previous poster said, an attempt to get some boos over the cheers. It doesn't matter if Pittsburgh is his hometown. When the show is on the air, he has a role to play. He gave pause during the chants though, so he clearly appreciated it even though he couldn't say so.

I got a completely different vibe from the HBK/Hogan segment. Maybe it was being there live, but I thought they were both at the top of their smack talking game, especially Michaels. Plenty of laughter in the crowd, and not a single "boring" chant. Michaels isn't a pure heel here, no, just like Jericho isn't in the Cena match. Both of those guys are rare examples of being over with everybody. They can both play the hero or the villain and still get cheered. Not many people can pull off instantaneous back and forth turns, but those two can. And Michaels isn't trying to play the heel. He played to the crowd Monday, not against it. He's more Hogan's antagonizer than enemy here, and for me it's working. He's doing this to get Hogan in the ring, not start a blood feud.

The post-show dark match was decent. Huge pop for Batista. Angle and Michaels joked around before the match, playing off their recent rivalry. The faces won of course, with Hogan hitting a leg drop on JBL. Afterwards, the heels left while Cena signed autographs. Batista was very appreciative, clapping back to the fans in response to our applause.

This was only my third live WWE event, and I've enjoyed every single one. Last year I was in the building for the HHH/Benoit Iron Man Match, the same night Orton won the Battle Royal to become the #1 contender at Summer Slam. I also attended No Way Out this year. I have to say having Hogan make one of his stops on this supposedly final tour of duty in Pittsburgh was cool.

To the comments that Raw and Smackdown are nothing but PPV hype...

DUH!

Well, I'd say 75% of it is. I watch it for the 25% that's not, and since a local bar buys the PPVs, I don't mind suffering through the hype because I can go watch the payoff if I so choose. If it sucks, it didn't cost me a dime. However, I'm excited about Summer Slam. In a lot of ways I think SS is usually their best PPV of the year. Wrestlemania sometimes chokes on its own hype machine. You don't see any Akebono/Big Show matches at SS.

Last edited by SliderACH; 2005-08-11 9:06 PM.

Bring on the ladies!
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cool comments, slider.

i didn't think the hogan/hbk segment was boring, i just thought it was a bit confusing, in that it didn't lay out a storyline. the superkick to lawler was confusing as hell.

next week's raw (or maybe two from now, i forget) is in canada. thats sure to get some strong heel heat for hbk and strong face support for hogan.

plus, perhaps, a continued mention of (SS guest-star-referee?) bret hart

giant picture
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hart still hasnt agreed to do anything other than the DVD as he still doesnt trust Vince.
The main reason he got involved in the DVD is because he wanted to make sure he didnt get screwed on that as well.

I will be very surprised if he takes any onscreen roles!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard