15000+ posts
OP Offline
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
The Sun Online

Rental giant Blockbusted
Wednesday, August 10, 2005

By IAN KING, Business Editor

BLOCKBUSTER has crashed into the red — and the film rental chain blames Hollywood for a £98million loss.

Bosses said home viewers snubbed a lousy line-up of new American releases in the first six months of this year.

Many recent big budget flicks like Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow starring Jude Law, Russell Crowe’s Cinderella Man and Batman Begins failed to pack box offices.

The slump has led to fewer people watching the films when they are released for home rental.

Blockbuster also said piracy, the growth of online rivals and cut-price supermarket DVDs left many punters preferring to buy movies.

The US-owned chain — which employs more than 7,000 staff in over 700 British stores — saw a £98million half-year pre-tax loss.

Last year the firm made £112million PROFIT in the same period.

Chairman John Antioco admitted results for July, August and September would also be disappointing.

He said the downturn had been “faster than anyone expected”, adding: “Our results reflect the impact of the declining store-based video rental industry.”

Blockbuster said its decision to scrap late fees for customers returning DVDs and videos had also dented profits.

And the firm faced the extra cost of setting up an online rental site to claw back business from websites like Screen Select and Love Film.

A monthly subscription lets movie fans have an unlimited number of DVDs posted to their homes. Viewed films are posted back to the firm.

Blockbuster says it will be profitable by the end of the year.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I, of course, blame Netflix, Hollywood Video, and everyone else who's giving the same or better service at a cheaper price.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Oh, and the Germans.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
yeah, if you watch enough rental movies, at some point the math becomes clear that for the same cost (or less) you can sign up for NetFlix and have movies delivered to your door, as opposed to driving to the video store, finding out that everything you wanted is out, and coming home with a some crappy "lowest common denominator" film choice.

the G-man #554082 2005-08-10 3:29 PM
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts

It took me at least six months to see "Hearts in Atlantis" because of that.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
PCG342 #554083 2005-08-10 5:33 PM
I Feel Pretty, So NeoCon Pretty
500+ posts
I Feel Pretty, So NeoCon Pretty
500+ posts
You're just trying to watch the wrong kinds of movies!

I have no problems finding "Chicks with Dicks" hentai and my personal favorite film EVer, GLITTER (!!!!!!!!!!!!), on the shelves!

Pariah Carey #554084 2005-08-10 6:14 PM
old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts
Those are some good movies.

How you doin'?
the G-man #554085 2005-08-10 6:34 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
yeah, if you watch enough rental movies, at some point the math becomes clear that for the same cost (or less) you can sign up for NetFlix and have movies delivered to your door, as opposed to driving to the video store, finding out that everything you wanted is out, and coming home with a some crappy "lowest common denominator" film choice.

Yea, but I don't think that's it either, because B offers the same service through blockbuster.com.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
The thing that kills Blockbuster is their own poor decisions. It used to be that you could rent a library DVD for $1.99. Then they upped it a dollar. New releases were a dollar more. Now, all films are $3.99, but if you buy into their rewards plan, you can get free library films. I have the rewards plan. I bought into it because I can get 12 movies for a buck each just by using the free movie each month. But I can only get library DVDs. The problem for me is that I've seen just about everything I want to see in the "free" section. Blockbuster leaves movies on the new release shelf for almost a year sometimes. So, even if I want to take advantage of my ability to rent a free library film on Monday-Wednesday if I pay for a rental, there is nothing for me to rent. The other problem is that suck at replacing older films, and they frequently lose movies. I've been waiting forever to see Miracle. It finally hit the library shelves, but the DVD is missing. So I wait, hoping that they finally replace it. I bet they have some for sale, but they don't have a DVD for rent. There are all these TV shows coming out. People want to see them. Many people, who have never seen them, would like to rent them. Blockbuster doesn't take advantage of the customers. I can think of lots of series that have hit DVD that I would like to rent. Netflix has them. Blockbuster doesn't. For Blockbuster to survive, maybe it needs to have an instore order program. I don't want to have to deal paying for the internet service. However, if I could go the store, or maybe order a DVD online for rent, then the store could have it shipped from the main base or whatever. That way, risk rentals that only pay for online rental would be available for instore rental, without needed the shelf space. But Blockbuster wouldn't think of something so simple, so they will got out of business. Over here, they can't compete with Family Video.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

Yea, but I don't think that's it either, because B offers the same service through blockbuster.com.

But I think they got into it too late.

the G-man #554088 2005-08-11 3:47 AM
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I can rent a movie at Family Video at $.50 to $2.00 for up to three nights which is MORE than enough time to watch it. The best thing Blockbuster has going for them is their "no late fees" policy which really doesn't apply to me as I generally don't rent a movie unless I'm going to watch it that night or the next day.

Also, if I really need to, I can just get my movies for free at the library for the same amount of time (sometimes longer).

PenWing #554089 2005-08-11 6:08 AM
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

PenWing said:
The thing that kills Blockbuster is their own poor decisions. It used to be that you could rent a library DVD for $1.99. Then they upped it a dollar. New releases were a dollar more. Now, all films are $3.99

Seeing as how Circuit City and Best Buy have DVD's on sale anywhere from $5.99 to $8.99 on average EVERY WEEK and how I just noticed ColumbiaHouse.com also has a daily DVD special where you can buy a film for $5.99, why the hell would one want to RENT a DVD for almost the same price?

They blame Hollywood? I'd have to agree but not for the reasons they think. Hollywood is to blame for offering DVD's you can OWN at reasonable prices that Blockbuster can't compete with.

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else. --Will Rogers "I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees." - George W. Bush I don't think anybody could have predicted that these people would .. try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile. - Condoleeza Rice Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor To comfort the powerless and make the powerful uncomfortable.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Blockbuster shot themselves in the foot long ago. I haven't rented from there in over five years because the local stores were horrible about checking my rentals in on time and charging me for late fees that I shouldn't have gotten. Their selections were poor, their prices were high, and they were dicks. They jumped on the internet/mail bandwagon too late. Netflix has pretty much sown that end of the market up. Blockbust just got caught sitting on its ass trying to think of new ways to bleed us for money while other people were thinking of ways to make the business better.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #554091 2005-08-11 2:26 PM
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
Netflix is da bomb yo.

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Netflix is da bomb yo.

yeah, you all practically raped me in the chat last night when i said i use blockbusters online rental instead of netflix. I looked into netflix today, and the plan cost is the same [17.99/month for 3 at a time unlimited. but I'm sick of my movies coming 2 or 3 days later than they say they'll arrive amoung some other things, i think i might make the switch next month.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.
2,506,410.81 CAD Rack points

sneaky bunny #554093 2005-08-12 3:36 PM
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
You get your movies delivered to your house? I wonder why you people are fat...

sneaky bunny #554094 2005-08-12 4:47 PM
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Netflix is da bomb yo.

yeah, you all practically raped me in the chat last night when i said i use blockbusters online rental instead of netflix. I looked into netflix today, and the plan cost is the same [17.99/month for 3 at a time unlimited. but I'm sick of my movies coming 2 or 3 days later than they say they'll arrive amoung some other things, i think i might make the switch next month.

But in addition to the 3 at a time unlimited, you also get the e-coupons..... the e-coupons!!!!!!!!!!!

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
sneaky bunny #554095 2005-08-12 6:13 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Netflix is da bomb yo.

Sneaky, I think Netflix ships from Lansing. You'll get your DVDs really fast.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
PenWing #554096 2005-08-12 6:22 PM
Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

PenWing said:
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Netflix is da bomb yo.

Sneaky, I think Netflix ships from Lansing. You'll get your DVDs really fast.

both come from lansing

i get 'em slow cause they go to allen park for sorting then Port huron.

And, to be fair, one of my favorite friends there is blind and I take every opportunity available to make fun of that and we're still friends. That guy never fit there. He never got the spirit of the RKMBs. We're gonna keep an eye on the obits, see if he finally left or if he really did have a heart attack.

Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

sneaky bunny said:
Quote:

Ultimate Jaburg53 said:
Netflix is da bomb yo.

But in addition to the 3 at a time unlimited, you also get the e-coupons..... the e-coupons!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, i gotta start using those.

sneaky bunny #554098 2005-08-12 6:50 PM
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
I used to have NetFlix . . . and the most it ever took was 2 days. How long is Blockbuster?

And, I quit NetFlix because I couldn't watch enough in a month to justify the cost.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
Bianca #554099 2005-08-12 7:26 PM
Schlub
15000+ posts
Schlub
15000+ posts
max to my grams in wyandotte is a day.

i'm just happy there's gonna be more shipping centres, i won't have to wait so long.

Bianca #554100 2005-08-12 9:35 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Bianca said:
I used to have NetFlix . . . and the most it ever took was 2 days. How long is Blockbuster?

How long is Blockbuster? Ummm...however long the drive takes, I guess.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:
You get your movies delivered to your house? I wonder why you people are fat...

Bow ties are coool.
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
tell me more about Glitter.

Link Copied to Clipboard