Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Quote:

Review: One-Man Star Wars
By Larry Worth

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Love it or hate it, no one can accuse "One-Man Star Wars Trilogy" of false advertising. Indeed, the only thing the title doesn't get across (and that's probably because of lack of space) is that
George Lucas' three Luke Skywalker epics now take under an hour to act out.

Granted, Charles Ross -- the show's 32-year-old author and sole performer -- doesn't hew to a particularly conventional narrative. Not even close. With no props, minimal lighting aids and dressed in black coveralls better suited to a car mechanic, Ross simply dashes about the stage and seamlessly morphs into everyone from Han Solo to Princess Leia to Jabba the Hutt and back again. Heck, at one point, he's even the Death Star.

Using snippets of dialogue, humming part of John Williams' classic score and providing his own comic asides, Ross tries to make viewers recollect scenes and characters at 10-second intervals. Indeed, audiences might feel like they're playing a never-ending game of charades, all acted out at the speed of light. As a result, Ross covers "Star Wars: Episode IV -- A New Hope" in about 20 minutes, with about 15 minutes devoted to "The Empire Strikes Back" and another 15 for "Return of the Jedi."

Clearly, there's a lot of cleverness onstage, whether Ross is perfectly mimicking
Mark Hamill's wide-eyed, quasi-monotoned interpretation of Luke, channeling R2-D2's whistles and pings or imitating the sound of a light saber springing to life. There's virtually no downtime for this human dynamo.

That being said, however, the show's Force won't be with everyone. Although the three films bear no shortage of memorable scenes, Ross also includes lots of minutiae, destined to be completely lost on all but charter members of the "Star Wars" fan club. In addition, the very nature of the vehicle may grow wearisome and borderline redundant after the first half-hour, at least for those who haven't followed in Ross' footsteps via 400 "Star Wars" viewings.

It's a novelty act, to be sure, but the lasting appeal is clearly based on one's affinity -- and familiarity -- not only with Darth Vader and C-3PO but also those who can tell Tatooine from the fourth moon of Yavin. As for Ross, he's not hitching his wagon only to Lucas' star. In his postshow speech to the audience, Ross -- after shamelessly plugging a store sponsoring the show -- promises to debut a one-man "Lord of the Rings" next month. Those planning to attend -- and get all the jokes -- should start their 400 viewings of Frodo and company now.

Presented by Dan Roche in association with Carolyn Copeland Prods.

Cast: Charles Ross.

Playwright: Charles Ross; Director: T.J. Dawe; Technical director: Tom Mackey; Lighting designer: Mike Schaldemose.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Saw him do the SW Trilogy at Celebration back in April and it was very good.

The only thing I didn't like was his "if you believe it and dream it" speech at the end.

Oh, and if your cell phone rings during his performance he'll stop and wait until you've shut it off or you leave the room . . . not to mention tell you how bad of a person you are and how rude it is to leave your cell phone on during a live performance. It happened 3 or 4 times during the show I saw and he was a little more "rude" each time.

Ahh man... - Bianca
Ahh woman... - Pat

Bianca & Patrick ~ September 30, 2006
4000+ posts
4000+ posts
This man is my hero.

That photo of him looks like a toy.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis

Link Copied to Clipboard