Print Thread
#573382 2005-09-21 7:39 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Where Was God Born? :

God was born in Babylon. By that I mean that the idea of religion emerged in the thousand years between Moses and Jesus, in the ancient Near East. There was just this moment in time when societies were becoming mature enough and wealthy enough, and people were looking for more meaning. The idea of God as a universal, portable, invisible, everywhere being really entered the broadest portions of society at that time.

Babylon is a place that kind of crystallizes that moment. [Babylon, located in what is now Iraq, was the capital of the Babylonian Empire and reached its height under King Nebuchadnezzer II.] Up to the time of Babylon, there was a God who was attached to a certain place. But when the Israelites were kicked out of Jerusalem in 586 BCE and sent into exile, God became universal and portable. It's a very simple idea in our lives--when we go to church or synagogue, we pray to a universal God--that began in Babylon.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
God is infinite--he always is, was, and will be.

The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
But if you consider God as a concept and as the creator of the universe: He was not created or "born", He has always existed (not a created being like the rest of the world) before the foundation of the world: before the concepts of light, darkness, or eternity.

1 post
1 post
Quote:

the G-man said:
Where Was God Born? :

God was born in Babylon. By that I mean that the idea of religion emerged in the thousand years between Moses and Jesus, in the ancient Near East. There was just this moment in time when societies were becoming mature enough and wealthy enough, and people were looking for more meaning. The idea of God as a universal, portable, invisible, everywhere being really entered the broadest portions of society at that time.

Babylon is a place that kind of crystallizes that moment. [Babylon, located in what is now Iraq, was the capital of the Babylonian Empire and reached its height under King Nebuchadnezzer II.] Up to the time of Babylon, there was a God who was attached to a certain place. But when the Israelites were kicked out of Jerusalem in 586 BCE and sent into exile, God became universal and portable. It's a very simple idea in our lives--when we go to church or synagogue, we pray to a universal God--that began in Babylon.

What about those fertility Goddess statues found through out Europe? And the cave paintings in southern France, aren't they like, 20,000 years old? Joseph Cambell says those all have religious meaning.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Plain Jane said:
What about those fertility Goddess statues found through out Europe? And the cave paintings in southern France, aren't they like, 20,000 years old?

No.

1 post
1 post
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

Plain Jane said:
What about those fertility Goddess statues found through out Europe? And the cave paintings in southern France, aren't they like, 20,000 years old?

No.

No what silly?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Plain Jane said:
aren't they like, 20,000 years old?

Quote:

Pariah said:
No.

1 post
1 post
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

Plain Jane said:
aren't they like, 20,000 years old?

Quote:

Pariah said:
No.

Why so mysterius? I was off by 3000 years. My anthropology text says they're 17,000. I saw the ones at Lascaux in the South of France 3 years ago. It was awsome!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm not mysterius!!

Mysterious however.....

I don't think they're even that old. Aside from the fact that the dating techniques of today are atrocious, no piece of civilization has been found in Eruope that was marked with a corresponding date to those wall drawings. Not even other objects supposedly in retroactive coordination with those drawings. The drawings are either not really that old or hopelessly(sp) tainted.....Or both.

1 post
1 post
Why would someone do that? Fake it I mean. It's not exactly easy to get to them and the French Republic isn't making money off them. I'm not stupid you know. You say things like "Aside from the fact that the dating techniques of today are atrocious, no piece of civilization has been found in Eruope that was marked with a corresponding date to those wall drawings. Not even other objects supposedly in retroactive coordination with those drawings." Why don't you say what you mean? "objects in retroactive coordination" ? What is that supposed to be? Why should I believe you over my anthro professor and the hot tour guide in Lascaux?

Sorry about the typo. I guess we all make mistakes.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Oh great. Another Jim Jackson.

Missy, I didn't say that they lied. I said they're wrong. Modern day anthropologists and paleontologists simply tend to put too much faith into the current dating techniques--All of which have an unacceptable fallibility rate.

And what I mean by "retroactive coordination" is that other fossils in the vicinity of the drawings, which are believed to be linked to to the drawings, do not match the age of the drawings. In fact, they're wildly off their pre-supposed date by thousands of years. In some cases, despite this set back, archeologists decided to say, "That can't be right. It must be closer to this date, which I grabbed out of a hat." Please don't tell me you see nothing wrong with that.

Also, even if I was an anthropologist, how much stock exactly would you put into my words of dissent?

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
But what does God need with a starship?

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

1 post
1 post
Quote:

Pariah said:

Missy, I didn't say that they lied. I said they're wrong. Modern day anthropologists and paleontologists simply tend to put too much faith into the current dating techniques--All of which have an unacceptable fallibility rate.

And what I mean by "retroactive coordination" is that other fossils in the vicinity of the drawings, which are believed to be linked to to the drawings, do not match the age of the drawings. In fact, they're wildly off their pre-supposed date by thousands of years. In some cases, despite this set back, archeologists decided to say, "That can't be right. It must be closer to this date, which I grabbed out of a hat." Please don't tell me you see nothing wrong with that.

Also, even if I was an anthropologist, how much stock exactly would you put into my words of dissent?

A lot more than I do in some jerk who calls me Missy! You don't even know me. Why do need to be rude? Was I rude to you? I'll bet you make your mother proud

I guess I'd probably go with the woman that has a PhD from an accredited institution. What are your qualifications? Do you have degree? In what? Are you in grad school, like me?

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Pariah aced high school. You're no match for him.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Yes. Unless you're a Japanese transsexual, you have no hope but to be on Pariah's bad side....

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You better listen to em' missy!

1 post
1 post
Are all you guys goofy geek boys? No wonder there are no girls here.

Last edited by Plain Jane; 2005-09-22 5:33 AM.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Just cuz' a person ain't a politician or a major in poli sci, that don't mean said person isn't educated in politics. Your types who feel like critiquing the arguer rather than the argument had best learn that.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Just cuz' a person ain't a politician or a major in poli sci, that don't mean said person isn't educated in politics. Your types who feel like critiquing the arguer rather than the argument had best learn that.

coming from you that's just funny.

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
reading through this thread is like seeing a perfect example for why Pariah's still a virgin.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Explain.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Plain Jane said:
Are all you guys goofy geek boys?

yup

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Plain Jane said:
Are all you guys goofy geek boys? No wonder there are no girls here.

No, some of us are quite cool. Suave sofisticated types who go to all the right parties and dine in the trendiest bistros. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go play some more World of Warcraft, my druid nneds to collect herbs so he can make some potions to maintain his mana.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Explain.

Quote:

Pariah said:

But you said it. So it's funny.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:

We all wear a green carnation.
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
I'll take five Jim Jackson's rather than have another Pariah storm the board...

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I think both Jim and Pariah are valuable members of our RKMB community. They are like the croutons of our little DT salad.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
But I don't like croutons...

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

"Precisely, old chum!"

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Plain Jane said:
What about those fertility Goddess statues found through out Europe?

Quote:

PrincessElisa said:
But if you consider God as a concept and as the creator of the universe: He was not created or "born", He has always existed (not a created being like the rest of the world) before the foundation of the world: before the concepts of light, darkness, or eternity.

As noted in the original article:

God [originally was belived to have] lived in [the Temple of Babylon]. Priests would go in and worship to God. What happened in Babylon was that the Temple was gone, so the Israelites had to ask, if the House of God is gone, where is God living? They came to understand that God is everywhere, and you don't only have to go into the Temple to see God, you can find him everywhere. So you can't understand religion today without understanding what happened in Babylon in the 600s BCE.

What happened in Babylon is the development of the idea that individuals can have a relationship with God, wherever they are, and that God can hold those individuals [accountable] to make their own lives better and to make society better.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Plain Jane said:

Quote:

PrincessElisa said:

God [originally was belived to have] lived in [the Temple of Babylon]. Priests would go in and worship to God. What happened in Babylon was that the Temple was gone, so the Israelites had to ask, if the House of God is gone, where is God living? They came to understand that God is everywhere, and you don't only have to go into the Temple to see God, you can find him everywhere. So you can't understand religion today without understanding what happened in Babylon in the 600s BCE.

What happened in Babylon is the development of the idea that individuals can have a relationship with God, wherever they are, and that God can hold those individuals [accountable] to make their own lives better and to make society better.

Ya, and winged monkeys could come flying out of my ass, too!

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I think both Jim and Pariah are valuable members of our RKMB community. They are like the croutons of our little DT salad.

I'd rather be a crouton than a bacon bit or a small chive.

Or a radish. God forbid, not a radish.

We all wear a green carnation.
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
*shivers*

I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Plain Jane said:

Quote:

PrincessElisa said:

Ya, and winged monkeys could come flying out of my ass, too!

Can I see?

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
PCG342 #573416 2005-09-22 11:56 PM
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
I WAS QUOTED!!!! It's DEFINITELY an Elisa moment in the DT forum *YEAHS!* even if it was for being mocked...yeah I'm not ignored ;p

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
This was the momentous thread in which I scared off Plain Jane.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
She's a woman, presumably.

Link Copied to Clipboard