Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
If you wonder if it will live up to the hype, then...psst...go see it.

Ah, so you ARE pressuring people to see it.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
A suggestion <> pressure.

We all wear a green carnation.
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Furthermore, you seem to think there's some conspiracy to get you, a straight man, to go see it.

Uh oh! Jim's pulled out the big guns! Don't piss him off or he might question your sexuality.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I just find it amusing that Jim always seems to represent all the gay people in the world.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
there are others?

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Rob?

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i thought there was one gay guy with a bunch of alts, matter-eater ma,jim jackson, rob ect....

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I don't trust gay guys anymore

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
you should be wary of midgets as well....

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I wouldn't call Rob a midget.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
at least not from the waist up

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Oh, SNAP.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Son of Mxy said:
I just find it amusing that Jim always seems to represent all the gay people in the world.

I'm president of the club this year.

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
Just this year... because for gay people, it's okay to share.

Thing is- I can’t spell or type. I spell so badly my spell check doesn’t even know what I was trying to spell. And I have five Eisners HAHAHAHHA!! -Brian Michael Bendis
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Larry David, of "Seinfeld" and the HBO series "Curb Your Enthusiasm," in the New York Times:
    I haven't seen "Brokeback Mountain," nor do I have any intention of seeing it. In fact, cowboys would have to lasso me, drag me into the theater and tie me to the seat, and even then I would make every effort to close my eyes and cover my ears.

And I love gay people. Hey, I've got gay acquaintances. Good acquaintances, who know they can call me anytime if they had my phone number. I'm for gay marriage, gay divorce, gay this and gay that. I just don't want to watch two straight men, alone on the prairie, fall in love and kiss and hug and hold hands and whatnot. That's all.

Is that so terrible? Does that mean I'm homophobic? And if I am, well, then that's too bad. Because you can call me any name you want, but I'm still not going to that movie.

To my surprise, I have some straight friends who've not only seen the movie but liked it. "One of the best love stories ever," one gushed. Another went on, "Oh, my God, you completely forget that it's two men. You in particular will love it."

"Why me?"

"You just will, trust me."

But I don't trust him. If two cowboys, male icons who are 100 percent all-man, can succumb, what chance to do I have, half- to a quarter of a man, depending on whom I'm with at the time? I'm a very susceptible person, easily influenced, a natural-born follower with no sales-resistance. When I walk into a store, clerks wrestle one another trying to get to me first. My wife won't let me watch infomercials because of all the junk I've ordered that's now piled up in the garage. My medicine cabinet is filled with vitamins and bald cures.

So who's to say I won't become enamored with the whole gay business? Let's face it, there is some appeal there. I know I've always gotten along great with men. I never once paced in my room rehearsing what to say before asking a guy if he wanted to go to the movies. And I generally don't pay for men, which of course is their most appealing attribute.

And gay guys always seem like they're having a great time. At the Christmas party I went to, they were the only ones who sang. Boy that looked like fun. I would love to sing, but this weighty, self-conscious heterosexuality I'm saddled with won't permit it.

I just know if I saw that movie, the voice inside my head that delights in torturing me would have a field day. "You like those cowboys, don't you? They're kind of cute. Go ahead, admit it, they're cute. You can't fool me, gay man. Go ahead, stop fighting it. You're gay! You're gay!"

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Larry David is one of the coolest Jews alive. Period.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
'Brokeback' rides high in Oscar race
40 minutes ago

By Bob Tourtellotte

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Brokeback Mountain," the film about a gay romance between two cowboys, earned multiple award nominations on Thursday from major actor and director groups, distancing it from rivals in Hollywood's Oscar race.

The Screen Actors Guild gave "Brokeback Mountain" four award nominations, more than any film, including best cast, best actor for Heath Ledger and supporting actor and actress for Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Williams, respectively.

Also on Thursday, the movie's Ang Lee was nominated for best film director by the Directors Guild of America (DGA).

Joining Lee on the DGA list were George Clooney for "Good Night, and Good Luck," Paul Haggis with "Crash," Bennett Miller for "Capote" and Steven Spielberg with "Munich."

Dramas "Good Night," "Capote," and "Crash" have scored well in this year's awards race but no other film has met with the amount of critical, media and industry attention as "Brokeback Mountain," leading industry watchers to consider it a shoo-in for Oscar nominations, which will be announced on January 31.

Still, some experts said the film could fail to win many Oscars, which are the U.S. film industry's top awards, if conservative voters at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences fail to look beyond its gay subject matter.

"It's out front early ... and sometimes it can hurt to be too far out front, too early," said Tom O'Neil, veteran Oscar watcher and columnist for TheEnvelope.com.

In fact, "Crash," which focus on race relations, has rebounded in the race in recent days with several nominations, including SAG nods for best ensemble cast and supporting actor for both Don Cheadle and Matt Dillon.

"It now looks like ("Crash") will be a strong best picture contender," O'Neil said. "It's that little independent film everybody is cheering on."

CLOONEY CAN DO

But the experts said Clooney and "Good Night," a look at television journalist Edward R. Murrow's work during Sen. Joseph McCarthy's anti-Communist crusade in the 1950s, also has a strong shot at Oscars after picking up its DGA nod and SAG nominations for best cast and
    David Strathairn as best actor.

Only six DGA winners in 57 years have failed to win the best director Oscar, and SAG also has a history of picking Oscar winners.

Spielberg's "Munich" has been one major surprise for its lack of guild nominations, including being shut out of SAG, categories, but the DGA nod may help get it back in the race.

SAG, which represents film and television actors, also nominated the actors of "Capote" and hip-hop drama "Hustle & Flow" for best ensemble cast.

Joining Ledger and Strathairn among nominees for best actor were Joaquin Phoenix as singer Johnny Cash in "Walk the Line," Philip Seymour Hoffman in the title role in "Capote" and Russell Crowe playing a boxer in "Cinderella Man."

Best film actress nominees were Judi Dench portraying a theater owner in "Mrs. Henderson Presents," Felicity Huffman as a transgender character in "Transamerica," Charlize Theron as a sexually harassed mine worker in "North Country," Reese Witherspoon as singer June Carter in "Walk the Line" and Ziyi Zhang in "Memoirs of a Geisha."

Along with Gyllenhaal, Cheadle and Dillon, supporting actor nominations went to Clooney in "Syriana" and Paul Giamatti in "Cinderella Man."

Williams was joined in the supporting actress category by Catherine Keener in "Capote," Frances McDormand in "North Country," Rachel Weisz in the thriller "The Constant Gardener," and Amy Adams for the independent film "Junebug."

The SAG awards will be given out in Los Angeles on January 29. DGA winners will be named on January 28. Oscars will be given out on March 5.

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
that chick in the middle is hot

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
SAG?

Danny #575066 2006-01-06 2:55 AM
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
she's not wearing a bra so it's gonna sag, especially since it's natural!

I'm transginger
25+ posts
I'm transginger
25+ posts
Quote:

Well---Cartmen did say, "Independent films are those black and white hippie movies; they're always about gay cowboys eating pudding."

WHAT???

First Scuzzlebutt, now this? Can't I make something up without it turning out to be real? And why did they keep my Mr. Hankey movie in indy status by casting Tom Hanks? This is bullcrap!

Nobody notices what I have in my front pocket: A little surprise for them all. We'll find out today at recess, won't we?
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Ang Lee directing gay cowboy movie...I see Marvel trying to capitalize on this in the future...{b]What If...The Hulk Was Gay!?!

Actually, I might check this one out when it comes to video, only because I'm a huge fan of Larry McMurtry's stuff...Or, I'll never get around to it, like most of the stuff I end up renting or buying...

Get the fuck out!
25+ posts
25+ posts
silly homasexuals. when will you peeple ever learn?

the president and flounder of aids has come here!
25+ posts
25+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Son of Mxy said:

I'm president of the club this year.

nice to mete you. i am the precedent of a lobo fan grupe called aids. woold you like to join? we dont allow homasexuals thogh. please call me if you are not a homasexual.

the president and flounder of aids has come here!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
It's to bad that so many of the old married gay guys I knew from my bartending days are no longer around. They would have enjoyed this movie.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Finally saw it this weekend. I don't usually care for movies with sad endings but this was good. Not sure how but some people apparently didn't reallize there would be gay romance scenes in the movie & made a scene themselves leaving the theatre. In a way that just added to the movie where you have 2 people who couldn't be together because society couldn't handle it.

Fair play!
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Except, on that mountain, the back is btroken with a folding chair!

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
...and love.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
    NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- Country music outlaw Willie Nelson sang "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" and "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" more than 25 years ago.

He released a very different sort of cowboy anthem this Valentine's Day.

"Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly (Fond of Each Other)" may be the first gay cowboy song by a major recording artist. But it was written long before this year's Oscar-nominated "Brokeback Mountain" made gay cowboys a hot topic.

Available exclusively through iTunes, the song features choppy Tex-Mex style guitar runs and Nelson's deadpan delivery of lines like, "What did you think all them saddles and boots was about?" and "Inside every cowboy there's a lady who'd love to slip out."

The song, which debuted Tuesday on Howard Stern's satellite radio show, was written by Texas-born singer-songwriter Ned Sublette in 1981. Sublette said he wrote it during the "Urban Cowboy" craze and always imagined Nelson singing it.

Someone passed a copy of the song to Nelson back in the late 1980s and, according to Nelson's record label, Lost Highway, he recorded it last year at his Pedernales studio in Texas.

Nelson has appeared in several Western movies and sings "He Was a Friend of Mine" on the "Brokeback Mountain" soundtrack.

G-Man will be stunned!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Nah. Not only has Willie always had a twisted sense of humor (he covered "Ride Em Jewboy" for a Kinky Friedman tribute album) but, let's face it, he was probably high as a kite when he recorded it.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Ah, well, there you go. A song about gay cowboys from Willie can't be serious 'cause he probably was stoned. The more you talk about gay issues and things, G-man, the more you confirm my opinion of you on that matter.

Last edited by Jim Jackson; 2006-02-15 5:20 PM.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Jim, I went to I tunes and played the excerpt of the song. It's obviously done with tongue planted firmly in cheek (and not those cheeks, either):

Cowboys are frequently secretly fond of each other

What did you think those saddles and boots was about?

There's many a cowboy who don't understand the way that he feels towards his brother

Inside every cowboy there's a lady who'd love to slip out.

Cowboys are frequently secretly fond of each other

That's why they wear leather, and Levi's and belts buckled tight.

There's many a cowboy who don't understand the way that he feels towards his brother;

There's many a cowboy who's more like a lady at night

And Willie's always stoned, to hear him tell it.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I like willie nelson and I don't like gays so obviously he can't sing a song that supports gays.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Best.
Rex.
Post.
Ever.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
No, Willie's a leftie. I have no reason to assume he doesn't support gays. So, you are wrong. I was not stunned.

But its also clearly a comedy song.

And its also clear that Willie smokes more pot than Cheech, Chong and Woody Harrellson combined.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Oh, no, we don't have a problem believing Willie supports gays. We have the problem believing you do.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
You stated I would be stunned that Willie recorded this song. I said I wasn't. I also pointed out that Willie has a history of doing stuff (getting high) that runs afoul of conservative sensibilities.

You're just pissed because (a) I wasn't stunned; (b) it didn't make me go "oh no, Willie likes gay people, I had better go subscribe to 'the Advocate.'

It's a cute song. But even if its wasn't about gay cowboys, its not the style of Willie Nelson song I prefer. I'm more into his folkish or western swing style music than his "choppy Tex-Mex" stuff. And as a general rule, I've never liked his "cute" stuff, even back when he was doing it with Waylon and the boys.

But now, I suppose I have to like this one song, or otherwise I'm a "homophobe" since whenever anyone doesn't like the same stuff as you, be it "BBM" or "CiC," its not just a legitimate difference of opinion, its a personal affront to you.

If it makes you feel better, however, I liked his song from BBM, which WAS, you'll recall, "serious."

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
So you're blaming the drugs for the song and not willie nelson?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard