Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
With the amount of injuries that occur to WWE superstars over the course of a year and the recent possible injury to Kurt Angle (see TK's thread), not to mention the recent deaths of some former primetime wrestlers that were barely in their 40's, I now ask the question above...

Do you think wrestling needs an off-season and why?

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
None of the deaths have been related to wrestling,the usual suspects of drink,drugs & old age are to blame.
I think because of all the injuries Vince decided to have these huge rosters he has now so he always has back up players.
I think his biggest mistake tho is not pushing enuff of these guys to main event status!

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
it couldn't hurt to have a couple months off for down time. With the houseshows, 2 weekday shows, PPV's, I'm sure these dudes get worn down pretty bad, especially the main eventers.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
They should work the TV schedule as does a normal 26 episode show, from September/October to May. Storylines can continue through Summer PPVs, and house shows can be used to keep interest and promote new talent.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Nowhereman:
None of the deaths have been related to wrestling,the usual suspects of drink,drugs & old age are to blame.
I think because of all the injuries Vince decided to have these huge rosters he has now so he always has back up players.
I think his biggest mistake tho is not pushing enuff of these guys to main event status!

I agree with you, but a lot of wrestlers start drinking and doing drugs because of wrestling's long grind through out the year and long trips on the road. Some wrestlers become addicted to painkillers because of the daily hurt they put on their bodies (that and some guys can't afford to miss a paycheck) and other wrestlers turn to drinking as a form of escapism during those long nights on the road. Look at Jake "The Snake" Roberts.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
True, but WWE wrestlers are on the road a lot less nowadays than they were 10-15 years ago.

As for the drugs, I think that's just a sign of weak character. Look at Foley; that man went as hard as anybody, and he never got turned to drugs or alcohol.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Doc.Mid-Nite:
Look at Jake "The Snake" Roberts.

Roberts was fucked up long before he started wrestling.

An off season would probably kill wrestling. It needs to be fresh and spur of the moment to hook people's interests. I like watching old tapes of matches, but I don't think I'd want to watch an entire show over again considering how many low spots there usually are. Besides, you need the weekly shows to help promote the PPV's, which are the big money makers right now.

As far as giving wrestlers an off-season to recupperate, it's a bad idea on many levels. Unlike the multi-million dollar contracts that other pro atheletes have, wrestlers, for the most part, don't get paid enough to have an off-season with no constant income coming in. Plus, it is during the times when the main eventer wrestlers are our injuried that the younger talent has the chance to step up and steal the lime light. A lot of careers have been made due to the big names being out for surgery or rehab.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Plus lets face it at the end of the day its their job & although its very physical & the risks are high,why should they be any different to us?
They dont work the hours we do & earn more than we do (I'm talking "names" here)so they should be no different to any other employee!
There is just as much stress etc for your normal working man yet they dont all turn to drink or drugs,as has already been said thats just a sign of weak will & character!
And as for the injuries causing drug addiction,thats another case of weak will,I know from personal experience that you live thru the pain & only take pain killers when absolutely necessary!
There is barely a muscle or joint on my body that isnt half destroyed yet I dont indulge in drink & drugs to "solve" the problem,I just learnt to live with it.

There a plenty of guys out there wrestling who havent succumed to the vices & they go thru exactly the same as those who have.

300+ posts
300+ posts
yeah, why drink and do drugs when you can have wanton sex.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Cause we get turned down all the time & none of us have that much cash!

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
Hey I totally agree with you guys when "you say you can't save everybody". That's how I look at professional sports too. "It only takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch", but I still think they need to cut down on the number of house shows they perform, especially after the way Booker T was hurt a while ago (just before his big push to IC Champ) That and I always find it amazing that they'll be doing a house show here in Canada (in some far off place like Halifax) and the next night they'll be doing RAW live from Shrevport Louisiana.

Anyway, I do pretty much agree with you guys, I'm just playing "Devil's Advocate" for the sake of enlightened conversation.

500+ posts
500+ posts
i'd like to see them at least go back to 1 ppv every three months.

Link Copied to Clipboard