Print Thread
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
Rob #1019747 2008-10-25 11:35 PM
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Warning, Spoiler:
Zach Snyder's Watchmen—or, at least, the version recently screened (we'll get to that in a moment)—does not end as the novel did. In the film version two members of the group, Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan, construct a device which mimics the superpowers of Dr. Manhattan, who attained his abilities in a nuclear explosion. Ozymandias then detonates the device, destroying several major cities, and frames Dr. Manhattan as a means to an end to attain the same desired result as the comic's original plot, that of global unity. As in the basis for the adaptation, the rest of the group remains silent about the real events that took place, believing that the overlying result is more important than the truth.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Zach Snyder's Watchmen—or, at least, the version recently screened (we'll get to that in a moment)—does not end as the novel did. In the film version two members of the group, Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan, construct a device which mimics the superpowers of Dr. Manhattan, who attained his abilities in a nuclear explosion. Ozymandias then detonates the device, destroying several major cities, and frames Dr. Manhattan as a means to an end to attain the same desired result as the comic's original plot, that of global unity. As in the basis for the adaptation, the rest of the group remains silent about the real events that took place, believing that the overlying result is more important than the truth.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
SPOILERS!

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
I read that they're testing an alternate ending in the screenings to see if the fanboys overreact.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
well of course they will. theyre fanboys...

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
just wait til they find out the movie is on film instead of panels on pages

giant picture
Rob #1020344 2008-10-27 11:37 AM
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Ah bless the fanboys!
After the first teaser talkbackers on AICN were going mental because the castle on mars was the wrong colour!

Steve T #1020345 2008-10-27 11:58 AM
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Sounds like some of the people who post here!

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
As long as they get Moloch's wallpaper the right colour I don't care what they do!

Steve T #1020368 2008-10-27 2:22 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Steve T
Ah bless the fanboys!
After the first teaser talkbackers on AICN were going mental because the castle on mars was the wrong colour!

Heh. Funny you mention that. The time I saw the footage I remember thinking it looked weird because the colors of the sets weren't the same as the comic. But then I instantly remembered IT WAS A MOVIE.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Killllllllllllllllll hiiiiiiiiimmmmmmm!

the G-man #1020849 2008-10-28 11:54 AM
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Complaining about the colour of something in the Watchmen movie would be kinda like complaining about how someones voice sounds in the Iron Man movie!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Nah. A movie's success or failure is based in part on the acting therein. Acting typically involves the use of one's voice. Therefore, it's a perfectly legitimate line of criticism.

Would, for example, "Dirty Harry" be as good a movie (if at all) if, instead of Clint Eastwood growing "did he fire six shots or only five" you had, for example, Paul Lynde lisping his way through the part? Of course not (well, maybe for Rob).

Also, as you might recall, my reaction to Howard's voice was not that it ruined the movie, only that I found it slightly off-putting and that I thought Cheadle was a better choice.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
No, you said you believed Rhodey should have a stronger voice.
At no point did you say his acting was shit.

You had a a fan boy perception of what his voice should be like, and you felt let down because it didnt live up to that.

Now as for your Dirty Harry comparison, it just doesnt work.
Before anyone watched the movie, they had no preconceptions of what Harry should or shouldnt sound like, other than the fact Clint will sound like Clint as they knew it was a Clint film.
Now if Lynde had been initially cast, people would
1) expect a Paul Lynde film
2) expect Paul Lynde to sound like Paul Lynde

Now if Clint had come on screen and didnt sound like Clint, then maybe people would be put off.

Granted, if Wolverine in the X-Men sounded like an Australian, then you might have something to complain about.
Or if Batman spoke with a Welsh accent, then that would also be something people could have a genuine gripe about.
But the tonality of someones voice (unless its totally annoying like Pee Wee Herman or Bobcat Goldthwaite), should not enter into the debate if the acting is not a problem.

As has been said, if you go look at all the people in your military services, I am betting they dont all have the same cliched macho voice no matter how tough they are!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Granted, if Wolverine in the X-Men sounded like an Australian, then you might have something to complain about.
Or if Batman spoke with a Welsh accent, then that would also be something people could have a genuine gripe about.
But the tonality of someones voice (unless its totally annoying like Pee Wee Herman or Bobcat Goldthwaite), should not enter into the debate if the acting is not a problem.

So, you agree: the way an actor voices his character can legitimately affect the audience's enjoyment of the film.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Only if its an over the top fake voice like those last two mentioned.
The first two, I dont think would ruin a film, but I can understand why people would be upset by the character having an accent that does not pertain to the nationality (a Canadian character with an Aussie accent or an American actor with a Welsh accent would be somewhat annoying and go against the characters background).

That said, if they decided a character like Captain America or Thor, had voices that were neither powerful or booming, would not upset me at all.

The point you made was that you believed Rhodey should have a deeper voice is merely personal opinion, and somewhat cliched.
There is absolutely nothing in the comic books that does not suggest that Rhodey does not sound like Howard.
For all we know, that could be exactly the kind of voice the people at Marvel think he should have.

Theres a big difference between voice tonality, and an over the top voice/accent like some people use.

At the end of the day, there are people out there who probably think that Downey sounds nothing like Stark should.
Or that Bridges sounds nothing like they imagined Stane.
Point is, not one single "voice" in the Iron Man movie did anything to spoil the film.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
Complaining about the colour of something in the Watchmen movie would be kinda like complaining about how someones voice sounds in the Iron Man movie!

\:lol\:

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
He's still getting used to the talkies.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
I personally had no problem with Howard, but I do think G-man's opinion that the voice is part of the performance and part of the character. I think it's a valid piece of criticism, tho not one I hold.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
I read that they're testing an alternate ending in the screenings to see if the fanboys overreact.

Seems that WB isn't trusting their test audiences to adhere to their non-disclosure forms, so the word is that they screened a different ending on purpose because they knew the fanboys would instantly hit the net and begin talking about it.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Sounds sensible to me!

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Quote:
AYBGerrardo: We’ve all heard that you have seen Zack Snyder’s rough cut of the movie. How long was it? Were you pleased with what you saw? Was there anything that you weren’t particularly thrilled about?

Dave Gibbons: I’ll try and answer this comprehensively and clearly because I know that people have been very concerned about reports that have come back about the movie. There is a tendency, naturally, when you’re anxious about something that you’re going to read patterns and read stuff that isn’t really there. So I’ll try and be unambiguous.

I have seen the rough cut of the movie. I saw it the Tuesday after the San Diego Comic-Con, in Burbank in California. I was at the same screening as Kevin Smith and his buddy, and also David Hayter and Alex Tse, who are the screenwriters for it. Zack was there with his wife Debbie, and Wesley Collier with his wife, and the producers of the movie, Lloyd Levin and Larry Gordon. It was what they call a “friends and family screening,” so we were all there to see it and to give feedback on it.

[long pause] What can I tell you? Obviously, I’m not going to say anything that’s going to give away specific questions about what’s in or what’s out, because I don’t really think that’s helpful to anybody. And I don’t really think you want to know. But a lot of my favorite scenes are in there. Many, many of what I think are the best scenes that we did are in there.

Some scenes aren’t. The cut that I saw didn’t have the “Black Freighter” material in it. Although, as you probably know in the same way that I do — in other words, by reading on the Internet — this is being produced and, for all I know, one time will be integrated with the rest of the material.

[pause] There are scenes in the movie that weren’t in the graphic novel. And when you think about it, this is inevitable as well. In the graphic novel, we had a huge luxury of space. We had hundreds and hundreds of pages, the equivalent of hours and hours of film. Anybody who deals with story knows that sometimes you have to amalgamate stuff. This, I think, has been done very successfully in the Watchmen movie.

[long pause, chuckles] I’m only pausing because I’m just trying to be quite clear about what I should say and what I shouldn’t say, and I only mean that from the point of view of I don’t want to give any spoilers. I don’t want to say anything that’s going to be misleading. Not that anybody at the studio or anybody connected with this has told me anything I must or mustn’t say.

I really enjoyed it as a movie. I thought it was a great movie. It was a long movie, I think the cut I saw was about two hours and fifty minutes. I’m not sure about that, because I wasn’t timing it. I was just enjoying it. And I enjoyed every minute of it. I could have done with more of it. I mean, as you can appreciate, I’m unique in all the world sitting in the dark watching this, because it could easily be confused with me lying in the dark with my eyes shut, dreaming up the images in the first place. So many of the images in there are the essence of what I saw in my head when I came to design scenes based on Alan’s script. So, there was a really, rather dreamlike and surreal quality to it.

The film is very rich. It moves backwards and forwards in time, just as the graphic novel does, so each time period is very clearly delineated and very clearly identifiable, which means there had to be huge attention to set dressing and cars and costumes and hairstyles and music, all those kinds of things. A lot of almost subliminal things that you don’t really realize are necessary to set something in its correct time.

All of the performances, I really enjoyed. I think all of the actors made their characters come very convincingly alive for me. I wouldn’t want to pick out one over anybody else, but I don’t think there’s a weak performance in there. And they certainly came vividly alive to me in both their identities. It’s strange to play Dan Dreiberg and then play Nite Owl. And it’s a lot more subtle than, you know, “This is a case for… Superman!” It’s quite a difficult trick, I imagine.

[long pause] What can I tell you? [another long pause] It’s very fast-moving. It is very violent and it is very sexy and I made some remarks at the BFI show in London and those two phrases were quoted and I know they caused some people some dismay. It isn’t a violent sex film, it just happens to have those amongst the other elements, just as the comic book did. In that respect, it’s very, very true to the comic book. It undoubtedly deserves an adult rating, and certainly there are some very brutal scenes in it, and – as you know, from reading the graphic novel — things that you don’t normally expect heroes to be doing.

“Was there anything I wasn’t particularly thrilled about?” Yeah, I started to get an uncomfortable feeling in my bladder about an hour from the end, but I managed to overcome that. Funnily enough, the first time I got the chance to say anything to Zack after I’d seen it was when we were both in the men’s room, having made a run for it. I wanted to shake him by the hand, but it wasn’t really appropriate.

As I said, feedback was very much solicited from everybody that had been there, and I did give some extensive feedback. Very much a work in progress, things that clearly were unfinished, a lot of the computer graphics were unfinished, characters had wires on them and things that obviously were going to be removed at the post-production stages hadn’t yet been done. But even in that rough state, I really, really enjoyed it. It was unlike any movie that I’d seen before. It did have that richness, it had that sense of sweep across time and across space as well, going from the forties up to the eighties and from New York City to Antarctica to Mars, and a kaleidoscope of characters major and minor. I really did think that it is an experience and a kind of a movie-going experience that hasn’t been… experienced before [chuckles].

I can’t wait for everybody to see it. That’s the feeling I got from everybody involved with it, as well. I really can’t wait to get feedback on it. And certainly, having seen the screening at San Diego — though I only saw that on a monitor, which was a little bit frustrating, because of where I was sitting up on the stage — but when it was shown again at the BFI event in London, I got the chance to sit in the audience and see it twice on the big screen. Just an amazing experience, and I think I speak for everybody else in the audience there as well, you can feel the crowd just absolutely lapping it up.

So rest easy. Rest easy, WatchmenComicMovie.com people, I really don’t think you’re going to be disappointed. I certainly wasn’t.

Nathan:
So many other directors have tried to make a Watchmen movie. Have you ever met with any of them? Were you invited by any of them to consult on their films?

Dave Gibbons: I did meet Joel Silver, way back after the graphic novel I think had just been released as a graphic novel. Alan and I met Joel and Jeanette Kahn, who was then publishing DC Comics. We had lunch in London and we talked about the movie. Joel was just… he was like a Hollywood movie guy from central casting. He was loud, enthusiastic, rather brash… not quite talking about the same thing that Alan and I were talking about when we talked about Watchmen. But we had a cordial lunch and we concluded it as friends. He suggested, memorably, that Arnold Schwarzenegger should play Dr. Manhattan, which we let past because he also said that he thought Arnold Schwarzenegger should play Sgt. Rock, which felt like a bit of a stretch to me. But apparently, the plot was that now Rock was an immigrant – or his father was an immigrant — to the USA, and had always been suspected because of his German-ness and him now commanding a platoon against the Nazis was his chance to redeem himself and prove that he was a true blue American.

Anyway, that was the meeting with Joel Silver, and then, the movie got passed around a little bit. Terry Gilliam, at one point, was in the frame to direct it. I know that Alan met with him briefly, I never had the chance to meet him. So really, until Zack came on board, I hadn’t really had a lot to do with the movie adaptations of it. My mum, when she was alive, used to read me snippets from the tabloid newspapers. You know, “Oh, the Monty Python man’s making a film of your comic! Oh, that’ll be funny!”

But once Zack got on board… I actually introduced myself to him at the premiere of 300 in London and immediately hit it off with him. The guy was very enthusiastic. I knew from the very beginning, seemed to me to completely get Watchmen. And since then, I’ve consulted… I suppose quite a lot. I was shown an early draft of the script and asked to comment. I have done a little bit of production storyboard for him in the form of drawing sequences in the style of the comic — and having them colored by John Higgins — that hadn’t actually appeared in the original graphic novel, because he wanted to see how we would have handled them if they had. Which I think shows a commitment.

As you know, I got to go to the set and see a couple of scenes being filmed. The scene that I really saw at great length was the Crimebusters meeting, which was amazing to see everybody in costume and just amazing to hear those words spoken and smell the cigar smoke and actually being in the presence of all these people. And again, the great sense of commitment came over. Do believe me, everything that I’ve said about attention to detail and everybody’s commitment… I’ve got my hand on my heart, it’s absolutely true. It’s not blowing smoke at all. It was quite staggering to see how much everybody was into it and how much they were using the graphic novel as a shooting script and a bible.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk

Seems that WB isn't trusting their test audiences to adhere to their non-disclosure forms, so the word is that they screened a different ending on purpose because they knew the fanboys would instantly hit the net and begin talking about it.

Or... maybe not:

http://www.newsarama.com/film/081110-watchmen-synder-ending.html
 Quote:
Synder tells Dark Horizons that the squid was not in any draft of the screenplay he saw, but that he and the screenwriters found an "elegant solution to the squid problem that I kind of embraced."

"I'm a fan of the thing as much as anyone, I was saying what are we going to do about this before I even read the script," revealed the director, indicating he agreed even before seeing a script that a literal adaptation of the ending was going to be difficult to pull off.

As to reports from the test screening that the squid has been replaced by multiple nuclear explosions?

"I won't say exactly," hinted Synder, "but... Dr. Manhattan has a certain energy signature, it's clearly his thing...so you know."

Finally, the director denied that he shot multiple endings to the film, confirming he only shot/produced one.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Oh.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm sure that the resemblance between that poster and the Joker poster from Dark Knight is purely coincidental.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Too soon, WB.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

I like the first two.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
When I could see them, I mean.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You catch the crowd burning Superman in effigy?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
what's that thing pointing at the circle that looks like an arrow?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Hearing Zack Synder talk makes me pretty leery of this being anything more than a shiny, color-corrected mess with all the substance of moving construction paper.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

yes

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Animalman
Hearing Zack Synder talk makes me pretty leery of this being anything more than a shiny, color-corrected mess with all the substance of moving construction paper.

now that i'd like to see

giant picture
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Animalman

It looks nothing like South Park.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53

The costume has an H instead of the Superman emblem. It must be Hawkman, or the Hulk.

Does Dan say "The Watchmen disbanded"? I wonder if he's talking about the Crimebusters.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/12/25/bre...d-movie-rights/

Quote:
The long-gestating court battle over the film rights to “Watchmen” took a possibly cataclysmic turn late Wednesday, as Judge Gary Alan Feess ruled in favor of 20th Century Fox, declaring the studio held a copyright interest in the property that would cover distribution of the upcoming “Watchmen” movie.

The ruling doesn’t bode well for Warner Bros., which is producing the Zack Snyder-directed pic scheduled to hit theaters on March 6. That release date could now be in jeopardy, although the judge appealed for both sides to find common ground and negotiate rather than continue through a trial, The New York Times reported.

The theatrical rights to “Watchmen” — the bestselling graphic novel of all time — have been mired in a series of complicated dealings dating back to the 1980s when Fox acquired the property for producer Larry Gordon. The studio subsequently abandoned plans to make the film, and Gordon began the search for a new partner.

After brushes with Universal and Paramount, “Watchmen” eventually landed at Warner Bros., which began production on the film in 2007 with a budget reportedly close to $150 million. In an additional layer of complication, however, Paramount obtained international distribution rights through an agreement with Warner. That arrangement would presumably also be affected by this latest ruling.

In its long-standing lawsuit, Fox has argued that Gordon never exercized his option to acquire their remaining interest in “Watchmen,” thus leaving distribution rights with the studio. Wednesday’s court decision would mean the judge now agrees with that position.

Back in October, Snyder was tight-lipped about the trial and its potential effect on his film’s release date, but some have claimed that the legal wrangling over “Watchmen” could be tied to a rights battle over the 1960s “Batman” television series. That dispute, also between Fox and Warner Bros., has prohibited Fox from distributing the show to platforms other than television, such as DVD or online.

“Watchmen” figures prominently on Warner’s 2009 slate, and early footage from the film managed to dazzle crowds at July’s San Diego Comic-Con. With legal proceedings still ongoing, it seems the best fans can hope for is a quick settlement allowing the March release to go unimpeded.

Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard