Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
I've been with my girl for the last 2 years and she still hates my passion for collecting comics even though she knows I'm an artist and comics are what got me into drawing in the first place! But she's not the only one! Every girl I've been with seems to hate comics! Now I'm not saying I'll break up with her over this but I'm sick of the nagging and sick of being told how to spend my hard earned money! I mean God, I'm too young for this, I'm only 25!

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
I know two girls that date comic book readers (I am basking in the single life -- I can eat all the chocolate I want hehehe). One of the guys was the fratboy/class president/jock type that was, to sum it up, a great boyfriend. He remembered anniverseries, took her out, and even got along with her relatives. The other boyfriend just sits on his ass and play on my x-box. Now frankly, I am not to fond of this guy, but it has nothing to do with the fact that he reads comics. Its because he's a complete slacker and is not giving my roommate enough attention.

My two cents. I could date a guy the read comics. Or likes fishing. Or plays the trumpet. Or like golf. The things a guy does is only part of him. Granted, it is a big part. But there will always be some differences in a relationship. Your girlfriend shouldn't complain about what you are spending your money on. I mean, its not like you are spending it on hookers.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Cowgirl Jack:
I know two girls that date comic book readers (I am basking in the single life -- I can eat all the chocolate I want hehehe). One of the guys was the fratboy/class president/jock type that was, to sum it up, a great boyfriend. He remembered anniverseries, took her out, and even got along with her relatives. The other boyfriend just sits on his ass and play on my x-box. Now frankly, I am not to fond of this guy, but it has nothing to do with the fact that he reads comics. Its because he's a complete slacker and is not giving my roommate enough attention.

My two cents. I could date a guy the read comics. Or likes fishing. Or plays the trumpet. Or like golf. The things a guy does is only part of him. Granted, it is a big part. But there will always be some differences in a relationship. Your girlfriend shouldn't complain about what you are spending your money on. I mean, its not like you are spending it on hookers.

I completely agree! It's not like I spend all my coin on comics or spend all my money at the peeler's or anything like that! She's gotta lighten up! She's pushing me too much and I've got enough to deal with (being in a wheelchair and all). BTW, it figures your friend's aren't single, all the good ones are always taken! [no no no] [biiiig grin]

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
I found a girl who understands my love of comics even though she isn't a fan herself.

So I'm going to marry her.

A girl who never says a word about the ton of comic book boxes still growing in the bedroom is a keeper.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Jaburg53:
I found a girl who understands my love of comics even though she isn't a fan herself.

So I'm going to marry her.

A girl who never says a word about the ton of comic book boxes still growing in the bedroom is a keeper.

Wish I had that with my boo. [no no no]

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Urkel

nOt az gAY az aM rOB
25+ posts
nOt az gAY az aM rOB
25+ posts
You am a big stinky!

Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
Frustrated! . . . with kids!
2500+ posts
quote:

Agreed.

However, if comics is his ONLY interest, then we've got a problem. I like comics myself and it's only a small part of what makes me, me. My boyfriend knows I collect comics, but he's never seen any of them nor has he asked to. He has absolutely no interest in them whatso ever and that's fine. He'll rib me now and then about it but it's nothing horrible. i.e. "God you're a geek" and then he'll smile at me and give me a kiss. [humina humina] It's all good fun and I freely admit to being a geek and a dork.

I'm sorry your girlfriend is giving you such a hard time Doc.Mid-Nite. Maybe you should try to politely tell her that while you understand her "dislike" for comics that's no reason for her to shout and belittle one of your hobbies. After all, you wouldn't dream of disrespecting her in that way.

Maybe that'll get her to shut up and think about it before she spouts off on you again.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Doc.Mid-Nite:
I've been with my girl for the last 2 years and she still hates my passion for collecting comics even though she knows I'm an artist and comics are what got me into drawing in the first place! But she's not the only one! Every girl I've been with seems to hate comics! Now I'm not saying I'll break up with her over this but I'm sick of the nagging and sick of being told how to spend my hard earned money! I mean God, I'm too young for this, I'm only 25!

I dealt with shit like this from my ex-fiance for a long time, and I'm only 21. She didn't mind the piles of comic books, though. It was me spending money on my cars' sound and looks. Even though I had a large sum put away for us, her and her dad rode my ass about spending my money and not throwing all of it into savings. I recomend just putting your foot down and telling her to get off your ass about it.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Heya, Doc:

I don't know exactly how large of a collection you have or what exactly is on your monthly pull list. BUT, seeing your avatar image of The Flash, I take it you like/watch Justice League? I watch the show myself (once they do get around to making new episodes). Before the pilot episode came out, I had already been told by several people that they were coming out with a Justice League animated show. Why? Because they had already accepted my own passion for comics AT LEAST enough to share what little they did know/learn. Was she among the first to tell you this piece of news?

Has she recently informed you that the Hulk is now playing in theaters? She had to have seen the commercial. Or how about the other comic related movies of the past two years? Spider-Man? X-2? Daredevil?

Would you not do similar for her if she had a passion for something that disgusted you?

Lor Offline
3000+ posts
3000+ posts
Doc, have youve tryed talking to her about this little problem shes haveing with your passion?

My advice is if talking to her about how shes pushing you away due to her hounding doesnt work then. Well try sitting down with her one day and read a comic together. Ask her to share a part in your passion for one moment. (this worked with my boyfriend and I, and vise a versa. Only on a different subject)

Maybe then shell see how much you like them and back off. Granted she might not understand why you like them, but shell understand that they are important to you and should gain her respect.

Its not right of her to be that way about your hobbie. I'm sure you dont gripe to her about hers, so its only fair that she does the same to you. Well I shouldnt say fair, its more of a respect for one another thing than just being fair. But you get the idea [biiiig grin]

If shes truely into you, she wont care what it is you like. Shell just want to be interested in it enough to show she cares. Example: Football, most wimmen dont like the sport. But when you sit down to watch and she sits besides you and watches the game too, even though she doesnt like it, thats telling you that she respects your interests and wants to share them with you.

And vise a versa, maybe you hate soap operas but your still willing to sit down and watch them with her cause its something shes interested in.

Get it? :)

Hope this helps [biiiig grin]

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Who cares if a guy read comics. It's part of who he is. I'm into eeyore and all things purple. I'm weird so I can't fault a guy for being out there too. It's good to be passionate about things.

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Sideways:
Heya, Doc:

I don't know exactly how large of a collection you have or what exactly is on your monthly pull list. BUT, seeing your avatar image of The Flash, I take it you like/watch Justice League? I watch the show myself (once they do get around to making new episodes). Before the pilot episode came out, I had already been told by several people that they were coming out with a Justice League animated show. Why? Because they had already accepted my own passion for comics AT LEAST enough to share what little they did know/learn. Was she among the first to tell you this piece of news?

Has she recently informed you that the Hulk is now playing in theaters? She had to have seen the commercial. Or how about the other comic related movies of the past two years? Spider-Man? X-2? Daredevil?

Would you not do similar for her if she had a passion for something that disgusted you?

Actually my little brother informed me about it. Besides we've only been together for 2yrs. and we don't live together, so I'm still free to watch whatever I want I guess. I took her to see both Daredevil and The Hulk and she kinda liked the latter but thought it dragged on too long (but so did I). As far as accepting her "passions" I'm right beside her when she's roller blading, clubbing, or shopping. You should checkout the dent in my wallet after we "share" the last one. lol [gulp!] [biiiig grin]

Assassinist
500+ posts
OP Offline
Assassinist
500+ posts
I'd also like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I'll definately try to put them to good use. I guess it's not really that big a deal. I suppose I just wanted to let off a little steam! Thanks again all! [cool] [biiiig grin]

500+ posts
500+ posts
No problemo!

And from your last few posts it sounds like things are okay at the moment. She seems to have at least some acceptance of what you like, and she DID pay attention to the Hulk movie. :)

I never did answer your question but I will now.. Why is it so hard to find a woman that's into Comics?!! I have no clue whatsoever..

500+ posts
500+ posts
I dated a girl who knew how into comics I was/am. She didn't say anything about it. I even got her turned on to Smallville (for a time). If a girl can't handle a guy that still watches cartoons (He-Man, JL, etc.), collects comics, or loves video games then that's her problem. Like everyone else has said, it's not the only thing you do (right?). I still spent tons of time with my girlfriend and had enough to talk about with her. Her and I are both studying to be teachers, so we had that in common.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
quote:
...(I am basking in the single life -- I can eat all the chocolate I want hehehe)...

You can eat all the chocolate you want anyway - skinny girls don't really do it for me. [cool]

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
So you have something against thin women????

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Nothing against 'em at all - they're just not my first choice very often. Of course, appearance is [should be?] a tertiary matter anyway.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
gotta love the capt'n!!

500+ posts
500+ posts
My ex got a kick out of my obsession with Batman. I mean, my apartment is covered with posters, figurines, PEZ dispensers, miniature Matchbox Batmobile cars, everything. I explained to her that my interest in Batman stemmed from the fact that it's primarily a psychological study of a man who's walking the razor's edge of sanity. Also, it's my monthly soap opera.

I've learned that not talking about it in front of them (girls) usually helps. I mean, most chicks don't really care what evil menace the Justice League is currently facing in this month's issue. If you're dating this girl, just let comics fall completely off the radar. Don't mention them around her, don't talk about them, don't bring them up. You don't have to hide anything, just don't bother her with your comic book stories. Most chicks find that kinda stuff boring. Now, I don't hide my obsession with Batman from girls, but I don't volunteer the information, either. If they come over and say, "Wow, you're really into Batman," I just nod my head and say, "Yeah, he's my favorite hero," and then move on. That's all that's needed to be said. If she notices the growing boxes of comics, who cares? She's not reading them, you're not reading them in front of her, so there shouldn't be a problem. Now, if she starts saying that you're spending too much money on comics and not enough on her (going out to eat, movies, bars, etc.) then you have a problem.

Just my worthless advice.

Nonoxynol9

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Nonoxynol9:
My ex got a kick out of my obsession with Batman. I mean, my apartment is covered with posters, figurines, PEZ dispensers, miniature Matchbox Batmobile cars, everything. I explained to her that my interest in Batman stemmed from the fact that it's primarily a psychological study of a man who's walking the razor's edge of sanity. Also, it's my monthly soap opera.

I've learned that not talking about it in front of them (girls) usually helps. I mean, most chicks don't really care what evil menace the Justice League is currently facing in this month's issue. If you're dating this girl, just let comics fall completely off the radar. Don't mention them around her, don't talk about them, don't bring them up. You don't have to hide anything, just don't bother her with your comic book stories. Most chicks find that kinda stuff boring. Now, I don't hide my obsession with Batman from girls, but I don't volunteer the information, either. If they come over and say, "Wow, you're really into Batman," I just nod my head and say, "Yeah, he's my favorite hero," and then move on. That's all that's needed to be said. If she notices the growing boxes of comics, who cares? She's not reading them, you're not reading them in front of her, so there shouldn't be a problem. Now, if she starts saying that you're spending too much money on comics and not enough on her (going out to eat, movies, bars, etc.) then you have a problem.

Just my worthless advice.

Nonoxynol9

That's good advice Noxy

Link Copied to Clipboard