I Am Groot
5000+ posts
OP Offline
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
Lay And Skilling Found Guilty On All Counts In Enron Trial

Quote:

From CNN.com:
HOUSTON (CNNMoney.com) - Enron former chief executive Jeffrey Skilling and founder Kenneth Lay were found guilty Thursday of conspiracy and fraud in the granddaddy of all corporate fraud cases.

On the sixth day of deliberations, a jury of eight women and four men convicted the former executives of misleading the public about the true financial health of Enron, whose collapse in late 2001 symbolized the wave of corporate fraud that swept the United States early this decade.

300+ posts
300+ posts
I've got a question: do you think Dubya will pardon ol' Kenny-Boy during his last week in office?

I am a man with needs. Rack JLA!!!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
No.

BTW, if you look at when most of the acts Lay was convicted of occurred, they happened before Bush took office.

In other words, they were getting away with it under a democrat administration. The were prosecuted under a republican one.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
No.

BTW, if you look at when most of the acts Lay was convicted of occurred, they happened before Bush took office.

In other words, they were getting away with it under a democrat administration. The were prosecuted under a republican one.

Hey G-man, I am not saying that Bush facilitated Enron's corruption or that Democrats are morally superior to Bush or the Republicans. Back when I was a right-wing idealogue I remember the furor that occured during Clinton's final days when he pardoned several of his cronies (I think they were part of the White-Water scam).

But, it seems painfully obvious that these two "Texas" businessmen traveled in the same social ciricles, even if they weren't in kahootz. I am glad that they are being prosecuted and I don't believe that successful jurisprudence is either Blue or Red. I'm just wondering if Bush will help out his old buddy before he leaves the Oval Office or if he will allow the court's ruling to stand like he did with regards to executions as the governor of Texas?

I'm glad I've got your prediction in print... I'll be sure to re-post it in two years.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Since, as you note, there is no evidence "that Bush facilitated Enron's corruption," and given that Bush's justice department prosecuted them, I continue to find the possibility of Bush pardoning either of them exceedingly unlikely.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Well, to be honest, I did not say that there isn't any evidence that "Bush facilitates Enron's corruption." I haven't researched their history enough to claim that they were co-conspirators. I was claiming ignorance in my previous post. But, now that you mention it Bush was the governor of Texas at that time wasn't he?

Anyways, I think that your argument for your prognostication is valid. I prefer to use chicken-bones and tea leaves when I make my predictions about the future. My goal was to start the betting early about whether or not Bush would pardon this fellow cowboy businessman. But, I don't wanna be a Killjoy; I am excited as can be that this swindler is getting his just deserts. Lets celebrate!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
It was a good day for America that these scumbags were found guilty. And Bush is unpopular enough....he wouldn't even think about doing something like that. He may not even pardon a Turkey this year for Thanksgiving.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Technically true but gives the false impression that Bush is somehow better than Clinton. Clinton vetoed legislation that helped Enron & other companies fuck America over. (Republicans with lots of help from Dems were able to override Clinton's veto) Enron/Lay greatly favored Republicans, particularly Bush, when buying influence with campaign contributions. Nothing to give this current President a pat on the back for IMHO.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Clinton vetoed legislation that helped Enron & other companies fuck America over. (Republicans with lots of help from Dems were able to override Clinton's veto) Enron/Lay greatly favored Republicans, particularly Bush, when buying influence with campaign contributions.

Enron's Democrat Pals

Documents obtained by TIME show the energy giant enjoyed much closer ties with Clinton Administration regulators than was generally known.

Long before Cheney's task force met with Enron officials and included their ideas in Bush's energy plan, Clinton's energy team was doing much the same thing. Drafting a 1995 plan to help facilitate cash flow and credit for energy producers, it asked for Enron's input—and listened. The staff was directed to "rework the proposal to take into account the specific comments and suggestions you made," Clinton Deputy Energy Secretary Bill White wrote an Enron official.

Clinton officials also made efforts to help Enron get business overseas. Clinton Energy Secretary Hazel O'Leary included Enron officials on trade missions to India, China, Pakistan and South Africa. White, returning from a 1994 trip to Mexico, wrote chairman Lay that "much opportunity" existed there for natural gas, and he sent a copy of Mexico's energy plans. To persuade an Enron senior vice president to join a mission to Pakistan, White wrote, "I have strong personal relationships with the existing government."

Enron showed its gratitude. At Christmas 1995, documents show, it donated an unknown sum of cash in O'Leary's name to a charity called "I Have a Dream." And when Clinton ran for re-election a year later, the company made its largest single contribution ever—$100,000—to the President's party.

You know, MEM, the republicans on this board don't shy from criticizing republicans. But you regularly downplay, dismiss or distort to avoid doing the same thing towards your party. Remember that, the next time you claim we're the blind partisans.

I Am Groot
5000+ posts
OP Offline
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
I've got a question: do you think Dubya will pardon ol' Kenny-Boy during his last week in office?

Personally, Randal, I think the odds are better of Ann Coulter being invited to the next Kennedy family reunion.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:
Personally, Randal, I think the odds are better of Ann Coulter being invited to the next Kennedy family reunion.

Alright, but I am warning you... stranger things have happened. Hell, Dubya, Coulter, and Ted Kennedy are probably all having a daisy chain send off for Kenny-Boy up at Bohemian Grove right now!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Sentences for Lay and Skilling likely to be drastic

When Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling, the former Enron executives, are sentenced in September for their crimes, legal experts expect the stiffest prison terms permitted.

Federal guidelines provide a formula by which Judge Sim Lake – who has a reputation as an aggressive judge – will arrive at the sentences. This formula includes: the number of convictions; their central role in fraud and conspiracy; the billions of dollars lost; and the multitudes affected.

"This judge has shown a strong inclination to not just throw the book, but the entire bookcase, at the defendants,'' said Jacob Frenkel, a legal expert who has followed the trial.

Mr Lay, 64, faces up to 45 years, and Mr Skilling, 52, faces up to 185 years. Mr Frenkel has worked out an aggressive sentence, based on the guidelines, and expects they each will be sentenced to 27-34 years in prison.

However, Sheldon Zenner, a legal expert, said they could get time off for good behaviour and believed the prison conditions would not even be too bad.

"They will be going to Club-Fed,'' he joked, referring to the prison camps some liken to Club Med, the holiday camps. "You usually meet your local politician, your bank president and, nowadays, your corporate CFO there.''

This is because their crimes were not violent. The prison camps tend to be refurbished army barracks, without bars or cells. Prisoners wear casual clothes, not prison jumpers. And they are assigned light work, such as cleaning the grounds.

However, legal experts warn that where the Bureau of Prisons sends prisoners often comes down to "bed space'', and they may end up in minimum-security prison rather than "Club Fed".

Mr Zamansky, a legal expert, fully expects such a prison for the men, where they could well make license plates and perform other unskilled labour.

Either way, Mr Lay and Mr Skilling will have plenty of time to mull over what went wrong at Enron.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Sentences for Lay and Skilling likely to be drastic

When Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling, the former Enron executives, are sentenced in September for their crimes, legal experts expect the stiffest prison terms permitted.

Federal guidelines provide a formula by which Judge Sim Lake – who has a reputation as an aggressive judge – will arrive at the sentences. This formula includes: the number of convictions; their central role in fraud and conspiracy; the billions of dollars lost; and the multitudes affected.

"This judge has shown a strong inclination to not just throw the book, but the entire bookcase, at the defendants,'' said Jacob Frenkel, a legal expert who has followed the trial.

Mr Lay, 64, faces up to 45 years, and Mr Skilling, 52, faces up to 185 years. Mr Frenkel has worked out an aggressive sentence, based on the guidelines, and expects they each will be sentenced to 27-34 years in prison.

However, Sheldon Zenner, a legal expert, said they could get time off for good behaviour and believed the prison conditions would not even be too bad.

"They will be going to Club-Fed,'' he joked, referring to the prison camps some liken to Club Med, the holiday camps. "You usually meet your local politician, your bank president and, nowadays, your corporate CFO there.''

This is because their crimes were not violent. The prison camps tend to be refurbished army barracks, without bars or cells. Prisoners wear casual clothes, not prison jumpers. And they are assigned light work, such as cleaning the grounds.

However, legal experts warn that where the Bureau of Prisons sends prisoners often comes down to "bed space'', and they may end up in minimum-security prison rather than "Club Fed".

Mr Zamansky, a legal expert, fully expects such a prison for the men, where they could well make license plates and perform other unskilled labour.

Either way, Mr Lay and Mr Skilling will have plenty of time to mull over what went wrong at Enron.

Fuck you! I aint no Uncle Tom.

Bow ties are coool.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:....
You know, MEM, the republicans on this board don't shy from criticizing republicans. But you regularly downplay, dismiss or distort to avoid doing the same thing towards your party. Remember that, the next time you claim we're the blind partisans.

I find it odd that you say this here on this thread where you have only talked about Dems & Enron. Even I noted that Republicans had help by many Dems in overriding Clinton's veto. Plus I also said Enron greatly favored Republicans in campaign contributions, not that they never gave to Dems at all.

Quote:

...As for the supposedly shocking monetary figures bandied about ("Enron gave $420,000 to the [Democratic] president's party over three years. It donated $100,000 to the president's inauguration festivities."), those numbers don't come close to matching what was reported about Enron's contributions to George W. Bush and the Republican party in The Hartford Courant:
Since 1989, the Houston-based energy broker and its employees have made more than $5.7 million in contributions to federal candidates and political parties, nearly three-quarters of it to Republicans. Enron was George W. Bush's biggest contributor in the 2000 presidential campaign.
Nor do they match what The New York Times uncovered:
Enron, Arthur Andersen and Vinson & Elkins, a Houston law firm, are among the most generous contributors to Mr. Bush's 2000 presidential campaign. Enron has given more than $700,000 to Mr. Bush since 1993; no company has given him more. In addition, Enron's chairman, Kenneth L. Lay, was one of the "pioneers," raising more than $100,000 for Mr. Bush's e-mail campaign, and he and his wife gave a total of $10,000 to Mr. Bush's Florida recount fund. Enron and Mr. Lay also contributed a total of $200,000 to Mr. Bush's inaugural festivities.

Snopes
The problem for partisan Republicans such as yourself is that if your going to talk about Enron money going to Dems, somebody might point out the much much much larger amount given to Bush & the GOP.

Last edited by Matter-eater Man; 2006-05-27 2:29 PM.
100+ posts
100+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Since, as you note, there is no evidence "that Bush facilitated Enron's corruption," and given that Bush's justice department prosecuted them, I continue to find the possibility of Bush pardoning either of them exceedingly unlikely.

I've been doing a bit of research into corporate crimes recently due to a story idea I've had, and I've read (and watched) 'The Smartest Guys In The Room'

There seemed to be a fair bit of similar thinking between Enron and the Bush Administration, due to their zeal on deregulation and privatisation.

There seemed to be a strong inference, at the very least, at the idea that Bush stood back and allowed the California energy crisis occur, as a means of getting the then-Democratic Governor out of office.

However, I don't see Bush going out of his way to pardon Lay and Skilling.

I Am Groot
5000+ posts
OP Offline
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:

Alright, but I am warning you... stranger things have happened. Hell, Dubya, Coulter, and Ted Kennedy are probably all having a daisy chain send off for Kenny-Boy up at Bohemian Grove right now!

No disrespect, Randal, but the only circumstances in which I can envision Ann Coulter being in the same room with Ted Kennedy is if she were aiming a sniper's rifle at him.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Why are you so full of hatred, Chris?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:

No disrespect, Randal, but the only circumstances in which I can envision Ann Coulter being in the same room with Ted Kennedy is if she were aiming a sniper's rifle at him.

That's libel.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
Quote:

Chris Oakley said:

That's libel.

no its not. he stated an opinion on a possible event. libel would be saying flat out that Anne Coulter plans to kill Kennedy. Opinions can't count as libel or slander. Which is why Fox News hosts wrap their BS in "it seems to me" and "some people say."

Bow ties are coool.
300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said: That's libel.

Woah, Chief hold on there! I'm not trying to defame anyone's reputation. Hey G-Man do you do any pro-bono work?

Besides, I assumed that my reference to Bohemian Grove would automatically qualify my post as paranoid-crack-pot-conspiracy-theorist ramblings, as opposed to an assertion of fact.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Opinions can't count as libel or slander. Which is why Fox News hosts wrap their BS in "it seems to me" and "some people say."

Actually, the "some people say" bit is probably more closely associated with Katie Couric over at NBC:

Note the 'some people' trope, used four times here and on countless occasions during Couric's interviewing career to put in the mouths of other, unidentified, people, what would seem to be in Couric's own heart and mind.

Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
Woah, Chief hold on there! I'm not trying to defame anyone's reputation. Hey G-Man do you do any pro-bono work?

I think the characterization of "libel" was directed at Oakley's comments about Coulter wanting to shoot Kennedy.

Since Oakley followed his comment with a "laughing" graemlin, he would seem to have indicated that his comment was intended in jest, for satirical effect. Since Coulter is a public figure she enjoys a diminished ability to sue for libel and is subject to fair satire. Therefore, Oakley's comment would most likely not be held libelous.

But there's already a thread about libel and slander here somewhere that Mr. Adler started. You may wish to continue this off topic discussion on that more appropriate thread.

the G-man #678107 2006-05-31 11:55 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
It's been odd to see so little said about Bush's "friendship" with Lay in the major media since the trial. It's been almost nil.

Quote:

...The close connections between President Bush and Lay began when they both worked on the 1992 Bush père presidential reelection campaign. In fact, a long paper trail of their friendly and collaborative correspondence has been made public through Freedom of Information Act requests. “Dear Ken, one of the sad things about old friends is that they seem to be getting older — just like you!” wrote then-Texas Gov. Bush in April 1997. “Thank goodness you have such a young beautiful wife.” In Lay’s typed responses — some are handwritten — he sometimes crossed out Bush’s formal titles to scrawl a friendly “George,” emphasizing their personal history before he urged the governor to, for example, help Enron secure foreign energy contracts with regimes in Romania and Uzbekistan, or called for so-called tort reform designed to protect corporations from lawsuits.

Typical was Bush’s role in Enron lobbying of Pennsylvania’s governor to permit Enron to enter his state’s energy market. As Lay wrote in a letter dated Oct. 7, 1997: “I very much appreciated your call to Gov. Tom Ridge a few days ago. I am certain that will have a positive impact on the way he and others in Pennsylvania view our proposal.” After the Enron crash, Bush attempted to distance himself from the “Bush pioneer,” who had sent more than $2 million in Enron funds George W.’s way, as well as supplying him with the Enron company jet on at least eight occasions. “I have not met with him personally,” Bush said after the scandal broke.

What Bush left out was not only his hundreds of personal encounters with Lay before he assumed the presidency but, more important, Lay’s key role in drafting the Bush administration’s energy policy. Lay met with energy task force chairman Dick Cheney at least six times. It was Lay who submitted a key memo opposing price caps in response to the energy crisis in California that Enron had helped engineer. Lay was also instrumental in the abrupt dismissal of Curtis Hebert Jr. as Federal Energy Regulatory Commission chairman. The neutered FERC later conveniently refused California’s loud pleas for help.

Common Dreams

I think it's a bad idea to forget this stuff. W is in office for 2 more years, we'll be paying for his term long after.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
You really are whomod, aren't you?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Interesting article in today's New York Times about how difficult it was for the prosecutors to make the case against Lay:

the journey from the collapse of Enron to Mr. Lay's conviction was anything but predictable. Instead, it was a long and arduous legal journey for federal prosecutors, filled with false leads and evidentiary dry holes.

The public widely perceived the criminal case against Mr. Lay to have been a "can't lose" proposition, similar to the parallel case assembled against Enron's former chief executive, Jeffrey K. Skilling. But the legal hurdles on the path to Mr. Lay's conviction were so daunting that some prosecutors privately worried that they would never even be able to charge Mr. Lay with any crimes.

"There was this public perception of Ken Lay as the mastermind, but that really didn't bear out," said Leslie R. Caldwell, who headed the task force in its first two years. "We realized very fully early on that Lay was not involved in the decision-making day to day and that we weren't going to be able to prove his involvement in the structuring of transactions like LJM."

Prosecutors speculated that they could build a fraud case against Enron by proving that the company publicly portrayed itself as strong and vibrant, even though executives like Mr. Lay knew that it was rotting from the inside.

"It was definitely a shift in investigative strategy," Ms. Caldwell said of the meeting. "We had to focus on the big picture, and not just the individual transactions. But it was just a seed that pointed to a direction. It wasn't as if that immediately led us to decide what we were going to charge."

Enron's former treasurer, Ben F. Glisan Jr., appeared before a grand jury in Houston and gave prosecutors a little gift. In addition to providing evidence against Mr. Skilling, he testified that Mr. Lay knew he was lying in 2001 when he provided upbeat statements about Enron's prospects even as the company was plummeting toward bankruptcy proceedings.

"That was a real turning point for a whole variety of reasons," said Andrew Weissmann, a former task force director who questioned Mr. Glisan that day. "Ben Glisan clearly pointed the way to the Lay case. I was relieved."

Other dominoes continued to fall. An F.B.I. agent assembled evidence that Mr. Lay lied to accountants to help Enron avoid a huge write-down. New witnesses, meanwhile, told the grand jury fresh details about other possible lies by Mr. Lay.

They also focused on statements that Mr. Lay made in an online forum in which he told Enron employees that he was buying falling Enron stock without mentioning the far greater number of shares he was selling to the company itself. That omission, prosecutors believed, amounted to securities fraud.

Mr. Lay and Mr. Skilling were both convicted of multiple fraud and conspiracy charges. The jury found that both men carried out their crimes by misleading investors and employees about Enron's performance.

In short, they decided that Mr. Lay was a liar.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Enron Founder Ken Lay Dies of Heart Attack

Enron Corp. founder and former CEO Kenneth Lay, who was convicted for his role in one of the largest instances of business fraud in U.S. history, died of a heart attack on Wednesday in Colorado. He was 64.

"Apparently, his heart simply gave out," said Pastor Steve Wende of Houston's First United Methodist Church. Lay, who lived in Houston, frequently vacationed in Colorado.

Lay was awaiting an Oct. 23 sentencing for his convictions in the Enron collapse and was expected to face a lengthy prison term.

Prosecutors in Lay's trial declined comment Wednesday, both on his unexpected death and what may become of the government's effort to seek a $43.5 million judgment from Lay that they say he pocketed as part of the conspiracy. Lay's death will not affect their case against Skilling.

This may create an interesting legal issue. In certain situations, where a defendant dies before his sentence, his attorneys can ask the court to vacate his conviction, on the theory that no one is "finally convicted" until sentence is imposed.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

This may create an interesting legal issue. In certain situations, where a defendant dies before his sentence, his attorneys can ask the court to vacate his conviction, on the theory that no one is "finally convicted" until sentence is imposed.

Lay death makes money claim moot: lawyers

Ken Lay's sudden death on Wednesday will scuttle U.S. prosecutors bid to seize $43.5 million they charged the former chief executive earned through illegal acts at Enron Corp., legal experts said.

However, claims filed by shareholders against Lay and other senior Enron executives in a civil case can proceed, the lawyers said.

Lay, 64, died of coronary artery disease early on Wednesday in Colorado, just six weeks after a jury convicted him and former chief executive officer Jeffrey Skilling of conspiracy and fraud in the collapse of Enron into bankruptcy in 2001.

The U.S. Justice Department's Enron Taskforce filed a motion on Friday asking U.S. District Court Judge Sim Lake to force Lay to pay $43.5 million and Skilling to pay $139.3 million.

Under precedents set by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans, a defendant is not technically ruled guilty until the person has been sentenced and has exhausted the appeals process, lawyers said.

Since Lay died before his sentencing and appeal, the conviction does not stand, and the financial claim by the government will not proceed, they said.

"I think it's pretty clear the conviction will be abated," Michael Wynne, a former federal prosecutor now in private practice said.

Nancy Rapoport, a professor at the University of Houston Law Center, said the courts have previously ruled that once a defendant had died, the process could not go forward because there was no further penalty the legal system could implement.

"The reason they do it this way is there's nothing really left to punish," she said.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Can't they put a lean on teh estate?

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The Prosecutors most likely cannot because, as noted above, the death before sentencing probably voided the conviction. Without a conviction there is no way for the government to impose a lien for restitution.

However, as noted in the above article, claims filed by shareholders against Lay and other senior Enron executives in a civil case can still proceed to trial. The question will be whether or not, by the time the trial is concluded, there is an estate left upon which to lay claim.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

the G-man said:
The Prosecutors most likely cannot [put a lien on his estate] because, as noted above, the death before sentencing probably voided the conviction. Without a conviction there is no way for the government to impose a lien for restitution.

However, as noted in the above article, claims filed by shareholders against Lay and other senior Enron executives in a civil case can still proceed to trial. The question will be whether or not, by the time the trial is concluded, there is an estate left upon which to lay claim.

Judge Tosses Conviction of Late Enron Founder Kenneth Lay Citing His Death

A federal judge Tuesday vacated the conviction of Enron's late founder Kenneth Lay, wiping out a jury's verdict that he committed fraud and conspiracy in one of the biggest corporate scandals in U.S. history.

Lay was convicted of 10 counts of fraud, conspiracy and lying to banks in two separate cases on May 25. Enron's collapse in 2001 wiped out thousands of jobs, more than $60 billion in market value and more than $2 billion in pension plans.

Lay died of heart disease July 5 while vacationing with his wife, Linda, in Aspen, Colo.

U.S. District Judge Sim Lake, in a ruling Tuesday, agreed with Lay's lawyers that his death required that his conviction be erased and his indictment dismissed. They cited a 2004 ruling from the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that found that a defendant's death pending appeal extinguished his entire case because he hadn't had a full opportunity to challenge the conviction and the government shouldn't be able to punish a dead defendant or his estate.

Tuesday's ruling thwarts the government's bid to seek $43.5 million prosecutors allege Lay took by participating in Enron's fraud. The government could still pursue those claims in civil court, but they would have to compete with any other litigants also pursuing Lay's estate.

Link Copied to Clipboard