Next Thread
Print Thread
#678115 2006-05-25 3:52 PM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
According to an Associated Press story, the National Park Service needs to thin the elk herd in Rocky Mountain National Park. Officials estimate that it will cost $18 million to accomplish this.

The current size of the herd is estimated to be 2,200 to 3,000; the park wants to bring the size of the herd down to 1,200 to 1,700.

According to AP:

Park officials outlined the proposed program and its estimated costs during a public meeting Monday. The park's favored plan would involve killing up to 700 elk annually for four years. After that, an additional 25 to 150 elk would be culled annually for 16 years.
    If that meant that 5,400 elk needed to be killed, it would cost the government about $3,300 per elk to thin the herd.

Here's how the money would be spent:

The costs would come from hiring extra staff or a contractor to shoot elk, building fences to protect vegetation, transporting carcasses, testing them for disease and processing the meat.

"Doing something like this is not going to be cheap, for sure," said park Superintendent Vaughn Baker. "But we're talking 20 years."

The park's preferred plan calls for killing elk at night with silencer-equipped guns in part to minimize disturbances to park visitors.

How's this for an idea: Why not sell permits to hunters to accomplish the thinning of the herd, and not spend the $18 million?

Why not charge hunters enough money per permit to cover the other costs of the program?

Nope. That would be too easy....

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
The idea to sell permits to hunters is a BAD one.

Because it makes too much sense.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Why don't they just give Ted Nugent a call?

I am a man with needs. Rack JLA!!!
Eat Me
500+ posts
Eat Me
500+ posts
That actually isn't a bad idea. He'd probably use the meat to feed the homeless too.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Once again G-man shows his tremendous grasp of the obvious.

Have any of you reserve managers ever been to Rocky Mountain National Park? It's at very high elevation probably 10,000 feet on average. Much of it is above timberline and the home of a pristine area of tundra. You can see trees that are hundreds of years old yet only inches off the ground, growing horizontally. A bunch of hunters tromping around in it sounds like a great idea. It's not a great place to be carrying a long piece of metal, either. You can feel the electricity in the air when it's not storming and you're the tallest thing around.

But let's move on to visitors. There are lots of them. Children, dogs, the elderly. What's a little high power rifle fire. Heck, they should send in Dick Cheney to open the season!

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The proposed government program also involves hunting the elk. So your objections would seem to apply equally to the government program and, therefore, seem moot.

The only significant change being proposed is that, instead of paying the hunters, we let the hunters pay us.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
No. The proposed plan does not call for Gubers in hunting caps tramping on the vegetation, leaving rotting carcases in places they can't haul them out and polluting stream water. Not to mention that professional wild life managers don't have the need to bag their beast by the Sunday night. You don't want amateurs hunting with high power rifles around large numbers of people.

The park is a short drive from the Denver metropolitan area and heavily visited by the local population. Should they be subjected to the danger of wild gunfire?

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
For someone who lives in fear, or at least suspecion, of the government's lack of competence on many issues: war powers, terrorist surveillance, police brutality, etc., you have a great deal of faith that the average government employee with a shotgun is somehow more talented and responsible a hunter than the average sportsman.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:
You don't want amateurs hunting with high power rifles around large numbers of people.

someone has to thin out the old man population.

Bow ties are coool.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
You hunt elk with a shotgun G-man, YOUR head will soon be a trophy over his fireplace. A .30-.06 rifle would be the weapon of choice. Yes, I do trust Park Sevice employees more than Dick Cheney with a gun.

But that really has nothing to do with your topic, does it? When losing the factual argument attack your opponent on unrelated subjects. The G-man Principle

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
For someone who lives in fear, or at least suspecion, of the government's lack of competence on many issues:

um, I'm a high school and 2 time college drop out and even I wouldn't make that spelling mistake.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I can spell. But sometimes my typing sucks. Especially when I'm typing on my Treo. The little screen makes it hard to see the letters.

As for Jay, no one is attacking you. I'm simply noting that your support for the hunt in its current form rests on the premise that government employees will do their jobs correctly...a premise that some might find faulty.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I can spel. Butt sumetimes my tie-ping sucks. Essspecially wen I'm typinngg on my Treo. The litle screeen maks it hurd two sea teh numbers.

As for Jay, I hate you. I'm simply noting that your support for the hunt in its current form rests on the premise that government employees will do their jobs correctly...a premise that some might find faulty.

First of all, leave Jay alone, okay.
Secondly, a professional is still a professional and Jay has a point about hunters and their effect.
Your argument is like saying that we can't assume police can do their jobs correctly so we should form vigilante groups.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
a professional is still a professional and Jay has a point about hunters and their effect.
Your argument is like saying that we can't assume police can do their jobs correctly so we should form vigilante groups.

But many, if not most, police agencies do rely on assistance from volunteers. See, eg, "Neighborhood Watch" programs.

Furthermore, I think you're assuming that a forest ranger is, per se, a more skilled hunter than someone who actually enjoys it and does it on a regular basis. I also think you're assuming that the government wouldn't, or couldn't, put in safeguards to assure that the people who are permitted to do this are properly trained.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
I can spell. But sometimes my typing sucks. Especially when I'm typing on my Treo. The little screen makes it hard to see the letters.

As for Jay, no one is attacking you. I'm simply noting that your support for the hunt in its current form rests on the premise that government employees will do their jobs correctly...a premise that some might find faulty.

I'm not the one that has a problem with the government. I work for the government and I'm proud of it. Unlike certain ingrate lawyers that bite the hand that feeds them!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
a professional is still a professional and Jay has a point about hunters and their effect.

But many, if not most, police agencies do rely on assistance from volunteers. See, eg, "Neighborhood Watch" programs.

Furthermore, I think you're assuming that a forest ranger is, per se, a more skilled hunter than someone who actually enjoys it and does it on a regular basis. I also think you're assuming that the government wouldn't, or couldn't, put in safeguards to assure that the people who are permitted to do this are properly trained.

Do the Neighberhood Watch volunteers use deadly force? Properly trained? Let's give G-man an aexpenses paid trip to the woods of Wisconsen in the fall!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
IRS visits Sacramento carwash in pursuit of 4 cents: Rather than shrug at a four-cent error, the IRS dispatched two agents to deliver a letter by hand informing the owner of his tax debt.

I'm so glad we put them in our charge of our health care. What could possibly go wrong?

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Maybe an IRS agent just wanted an all-expense paid trip to Sacramento!

I read an article several years ago that it costs the U.S. Treasury 1.5 cets to make a penny, and that every year they debate whether or not to stop making them, and just round everything off to 5 cents.

And yeah, it's scary that something as inefficient and wasteful as our government can take over healthcare from private industry. Fortunately, there is a chance that it can be repealed before it goes into effect before 2013.

Interesting also, that the Obamacare plan that was supposed to LOWER the cost of healthcare, has actually RAISED the average family's healthcare cost by $5000 per family.
And that those raised premiums are already going into effect, as insurance companies try to raise extra capital, to offset coming cost before the added cost hits them.
Cost passed on to those who can least afford it, of course.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
Maybe an IRS agent just wanted an all-expense paid trip to Sacramento!

As someone who lived in Sacramento no amount of money or perks would make me visit that shit hole.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.

Link Copied to Clipboard