Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yes, the fact that he is gay had obviously escaped me, since I know nothing about him. At all. Ever. And, thus, me wanting to fuck him in the ass wasn't a two-fold joke, or anything. Thank you for capturing the essence of the obvious. Your superior intellect has, once again, defeated me...

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Hey, you're the one taking consensual love between two men who favor selective continuity and making it something dirty and forced with words like "sodomize" and "fuck him in the ass", Pro.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
You say "man-love", I say "love"...

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Quote:

Brad Lee said:
He goes back to the diner to beat up a guy who now didn't beat him up in the first place. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

When I watched it that scene was still in there. Clark gets punched out right before the Zod broadcast.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yes, but if Clark uses time travel to erase everything that came before, then he never lost his powers, he was never actually in the diner and the guy never actually beat him up.

So Clark is taking revenge on a guy who didn't assault him.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Good!

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Clark Kent is a cunt!

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Kaz Offline
500+ posts
500+ posts
Saw this at the rental place... worth picking up, yes or no?

Bob Burden said: Pie for the pirates, wine for the dogs.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think it proves that Superman is a Republican-Neocon. He was engaged in a pre-emptive retaliation.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Good!

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I've had the DVD for over a week now, but this is the first time I've had a chance to watch it. I liked it. A lot of things made more sense. Though I do find the middle very jumpy from the point that Zod and crew land on Earth up until the taking of the White House. I guess that's the footage that Donner didn't get to, and they'd left out all of Lester's shots because Donner fucking hated it (more on principle than artistically). Smarter Lois. More emotion between Jor-El and son. Better movie all around despite its very few flaws.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
Quote:

Jason E. Perkins said:
According to my craziest comic book friend, Donner's cut is "like a whole different movie." Whether that means what it really says, or something closer to what Rob expects, I dunno.

i just bought and watched the new superman II tonight, and its pretty much like a whole different movie.

the basic plot is the same, many scenes and dialog are the same, but there's so much new content and so much reworked content that it feels entirely different.

significantly better, too, i'd say.

Quote:

Pig Iron said:
All the goofy stuff is cut out... {snip} no stupid celophane "S" being thrown

the best part about the donner version is what was left out from lester's.

(THPOILERTH!!)

the entire, awkward "battle scene" that ended the lester version, with the ... teleporting... duplicating people, and giant "S"aran wrap, and ability to "force" lasers with hands, its all gone.

lois doesn't nearly drown by the falls, weird crystal tv's don't appear in the fortress, supes mommy is nowhere to be found, and even the weird skeleton/melt effects of the power booth... thing are no more.

whats left is a film significantly more true to the first film, true to the characters, and true to the established lore, enhanced by all of the "new" aspects; the farewell lois / superman scene, jor-el's interaction with his son, luthor's quips, etc. fantastically done.

Quote:

Pig Iron said:
It also makes Superman Returns make more sense--because "the son becomes the father the father becomes the son" kryptonian prophecy is played up in the donner cut and makes Returns more fluid to follow... i now like Superman Returns better because of this version of II.

agreed.

Quote:

Pig Iron said:
The original ending to movie 1 was meant to not happen as such, and i think the lois death was added at the last minute. The going back in time ending for 2 was the way in which II was supposed to end-not 1.

aye.

in the dvd extras, they explain in better detail that superman 1 & 2 were shot at the same time, not sequentially, and that the "around the earth" part was meant to end the second film.

however, with time limits at hand, and a stronger rush to get the first movie out on time, WB opted to use the "big finale" to end the first movie. donner figured he could always go back and create a new ending to superman II with the extra year before it was in theaters, however he was fired before getting the opportunity.

Quote:

the G-man said:
Yes, but if Clark uses time travel to erase everything that came before, then he never lost his powers, he was never actually in the diner and the guy never actually beat him up. So Clark is taking revenge on a guy who didn't assault him.

thats the only part i didn't really care for.

for starters, i'm against the whole "go back in time" notion, as its just too easy of a fix. i take a strong stand against such a travesty! i didn't like it in the first film or in the donner version of the second.

but mostly... i just didn't understand what superman undid in this film. he went back in time to just before zod arrived? earlier? and why? wont they still be knocking at the door soon enough? did the diner guy remember him? did the chief sorta remember his desk was fucked up?

why couldn't superman have just gone back in time during the manhatt...polis street fight, to undo things then?

and what was even the motivation for going back in time here? he saved the day, re-imprisoned luthor, got rid of the phantom zone folks, and could have easily helped rebuild whatever was destroyed. the only thing that "needed" to be undone was the fact that lois knew his ID. ...which ... is a lame reason.

i know that it had to be completed in that fashion, because it was the only available footage to tell the story, but... i still didn't like how it completed the tale.

however, minor nerdy gripes aside, it was still a very kick ass flick.

giant picture
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
See, I told you.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
The actor who played NON has been answering questions at IMDB's message board for almost a year. Sounds like he's not a big fan of Richard Lester.

He says that Donner shot a scene where the villains are taken away by the cops at the end of Superman II... I think you can actually see this happening in the background of one of the deleted scenes in the DVD, the one where they're taking Luthor away. He also claims that Donner had plans to bring them back in future movies.

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Well looking at Superman II, it looked as if Superman dropped them onto his mattress that was inexplicably shrouded in a thin layer of artificially generated fog.

I don't see how that'd be impossible to return from.

Very well rested and refreshed even!

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
He dropped them into those foggy pits in the Fortress. Who says the pits were more than a few meters deep? Even if they were bottomless pits like everyone assumes, he could have easily flown down there and rescued them.

Based on the scene with the criminals being taken away by the police, it looks like Donner never intended to suggest that Superman had killed them... which makes a whole lot of sense.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Where did this stupid idea that it was bottomless come from anyways? It sure didn't seem "bottomless" when i saw it. It looked just as I jokingly described.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Yes, but I'm stupid and I missread your first post. I thought you said it was impossible to come back from the sauna. So there, I win again.

100+ posts
100+ posts

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard