Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Do you think HE has a plan for each of us? Do you think GOD knows what is best for us?

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
yes

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
yup

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I concur, as well..anyone care to elaborate a bit?

life." - Tuvok.

URG Offline
URG am real man!
7500+ posts
URG am real man!
7500+ posts
God am told URG it am would be best if URG am not say anything here.

Cave Babes
http://www.robkamphausen.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/824582#Post824582
Cave Drawings
http://www.robkamphausen.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/860036

Some days urg makes me proud to be his friend. Then there are the days that he steals my beer and fucks my woman. Somedays he gets that backwards.-Lothar

"Those were good days. Sitting around the campfires, eating dinosaur meat, and clubbing our wimmens in the head. I dream of those days sometimes. When Urg would make speeches and lead us to victory over the neighboring tribes. Good days, man. Good days." -Grimm
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Which one?

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
300+ posts
300+ posts
I believe that God knows what's best for us and that he has a plan for each of us, but that isn't the problem. The real question is how do you discover what God's plan for you is?

I am a man with needs. Rack JLA!!!
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Do you break into his house and steal his file cabinet? Or simply hack into his computer?

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
That is the tough part..knowing what God's plan is for each of us. It is a road to discovery that is as unique to each individual as each individual is unique.

life." - Tuvok.

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
That is the tough part..knowing what God's plan is for each of us. It is a road to discovery that is as unique to each individual as each individual is unique.

I agree with you, but I was wondering what our more theistic friends would say. Should we just read the Bible, or wait for a revelation, or pray, or "steal His filing cabinet," or read philosophy, or what? How do we discover what he wants us to do?

I am asking because have found myself in something of an existential/spirtual crossroad.

3000+ posts
3000+ posts
What a fuckin perv.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Could you be more specific? There are a lot of choices out there.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

I agree with you, but I was wondering what our more theistic friends would say. Should we just read the Bible, or wait for a revelation, or pray, or "steal His filing cabinet," or read philosophy, or what? How do we discover what he wants us to do?

I am asking because have found myself in something of an existential/spirtual crossroad.

I understand that completely. You must search your feelings. It's sort of a gut feeling..that is how I would describe. I just KNOW instinctively... that I must be as good to others as I can be...and, if you look at my signature..I DO believe that, although we can never become the "Ultimate" version of ourselves...we can work at becoming better than we are...

We are, after all..only human. God just wants us to do our best, not be perfect.

At least, that is what I feel he wants us to do.

life." - Tuvok.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
God opens and closes doors all the time. If you're interested in finding out what He wants for you, study what He has to say in Scripture, and just ask. The answers come in different ways for different people.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Which God do I ask, though?

Yahweh, Allah, Buddha, Jesus, Vishnu, Zeus, Jupiter...Ra? Jerry Orbach?

What if I ask the wrong one? I was never good at multiple choice tests. Is there an "all of the above"?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:

What if I ask the wrong one? I was never good at multiple choice tests. Is there an "all of the above"?

When all else fails, ask PJP.

But seriously.

If you really want my opinion, Yahweh and Jesus are the furthest thing from mutually exclusive. In the NT Jesus said a number of times that God/the Father/Yahweh would hear and answer our prayers, and specifically that He would if we prayed 'in Jesus' name' (which I interpret as being thankful for God's grace (through Jesus) and praying in the fashion of Jesus (always asking that the Father's will be done)). In my experience, amazing things have happened when I've tried that. Specifically, I would not have made it through the first month without my dad (especially having to deliver that eulogy) without praying time and time again for strength from God. I dunno if that helps any but that's my perspective.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
God opens and closes doors all the time. If you're interested in finding out what He wants for you, study what He has to say in Scripture, and just ask. The answers come in different ways for different people.

Phil, did you read either my thread on "Premonitions" or read my answer in another thread where I talked at length about my "special dreams" ?

I have always felt that those dreams are a gift from GOD. However, I have YET to be able to change or prevent them from happening..and I am beginning to accept this.

It is due to these dreams that I have always felt close to GOD.

life." - Tuvok.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

Phil, did you read either my thread on "Premonitions" or read my answer in another thread where I talked at length about my "special dreams" ?

I have always felt that those dreams are a gift from GOD. However, I have YET to be able to change or prevent them from happening..and I am beginning to accept this.

It is due to these dreams that I have always felt close to GOD.

I read those. That's really something else, Jerry. As I said, God speaks to different people in different ways. The only requirement is that you're willing to 'listen'.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
I DO believe that, although we can never become the "Ultimate" version of ourselves...we can work at becoming better than we are...

I agree. The best we can hope for is becoming the All-Star version of ourselves.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:

Buddha isn't a God.

Yaweh and Allah are of the same origin.

Christ is Yaweh.

The Polytheist religions (see also: Egyptian Ra, see also: Hindu Vishnu, see also: Roman Jupiter, see also: Greek Zeus) are not in any way historically comparable to philosophical monotheist religions such as Christianity, Judaism, and Muslomism. For example: Zeus' arrogance should have earned his direct wrath by now after so many people conclude that he doesn't exist. This is opposed to the fact that the other religions you mentioned, and carelessly lumped together with the Hellenic beliefs, stipulate the requirement of faith. i.e. God's not going to descend and punish people with an avatar. The point of the faith is that God's already given you the intructions to reach him when you pass. Thus, you have faith and philosophy as opposed to trust in a fickle and random person--Zeus.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Buddha isn't a God.

He's only a Lord. Of the Dance.

Quote:

The Polytheist religions (see also: Egyptian Ra, see also: Hindu Vishnu, see also: Roman Jupiter, see also: Greek Zeus) are not in any way historically comparable to philosophical monotheist religions such as Christianity, Judaism, and Muslomism. For example: Zeus' arrogance should have earned his direct wrath by now after so many people conclude that he doesn't exist. This is opposed to the fact that the other religions you mentioned, and carelessly lumped together with the Hellenic beliefs, stipulate the requirement of faith. i.e. God's not going to descend and punish people with an avatar. The point of the faith is that God's already given you the intructions to reach him when you pass. Thus, you have faith and philosophy as opposed to trust in a fickle and random person--Zeus.

So you're saying the right God is Jerry Orbach. I should have known.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yes. You should have.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
So how do I find out what Jerry Orbach wants from me? I've already seen like a million Law and Order reruns. How else must I appease him?

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
"I don't like to dwell all day over one scene as you do in a big feature."
--Jerry Orbach

Think about it.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
What if God was one of us.....just a slob like one of us.

Think about it.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:
What if God was one of us.....just a slob like one of us.

Think about it

GOD was one of us. A couple thousand years ago. It didn't go over too well....

life." - Tuvok.

[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
[insert non-dated reference here]
10000+ posts
Depends on how you look at it, I guess.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
So how do I find out what Jerry Orbach wants from me? I've already seen like a million Law and Order reruns. How else must I appease him?

Sing show tunes.

We all wear a green carnation.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
"I don't like to dwell all day over one scene as you do in a big feature."
--Jerry Orbach

Think about it.

That's deep, man.

Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

Animalman said:

Sing show tunes.

Fine, but I'm not watching Dirty Dancing. No way.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I love Jerry Orbach, but even I won't watch DIRTY DANCING ever again. Stick Baby in the corner and leave her there for all I care.

It's cool though to see Jerry play against type in CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS. He's a a hitman in that one, btw.

We all wear a green carnation.
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
you guys need your art spoonfed to you!

300+ posts
300+ posts
As much as I love Jerry Orbach, I think your responses are bullshit! I mean the topic of this thread is "DO YOU THINK GOD HAS A PLAN FOR YOUR LIFE!" Are you guys so insecure that you need to belittle the signifiance of that prompt? I mean there are a shitload of threads that you could post to? Why this one?

I'm sorry that I am so confrontational, but I take this topic quite seriously and given that it is Saturday I have already drunk two bottles of wine and am on my second JB and Coke. BTW I get very confrontational when I drink wine.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Amen and Hallelujah Brotha Flagg! Nothing brings about the confrontational force of the Holy Spirit like a few bottles of holy spirits!

On a more serious note, I've found that many Christians tend to view God's plan as a justification for why bad things happen in their lives and an excuse not to do anything about them. It's one thing to read the Bible and pray, but there are many times when God seems to be whispering from miles away. During those times, it's important to not just sit on your Biblical ass, but instead to continue living and making decisions.

God's plan is disturbingly close to predestination at times, which is a subject that causes my head to explode. Do I believe God has a plan for my life? Sure. Do I believe that that plan is specificly laid out in great detail and the slightest variation from it could spell eternal damnation in a lake of fire? Not so sure. We were created to have free will, so I wonder if God's plan consists of what we were going to do anyways.

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I believe GOD allows for free will...he gives us the choice:

Right or wrong, fast, slow, hot, or cold.

He wants to see if we have the courage to NOT always do the easy thing..and to instead, do the right thing.

life." - Tuvok.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
I mean the topic of this thread is "DO YOU THINK GOD HAS A PLAN FOR YOUR LIFE!"

No it isn't. It's "Do you think God always knows what's best for us?" Your topic is more of a loud, capitalized command than a spiritual query.

Quote:

Are you guys so insecure that you need to belittle the signifiance of that prompt? I mean there are a shitload of threads that you could post to? Why this one?

I'm sorry that I am so confrontational, but I take this topic quite seriously and given that it is Saturday I have already drunk two bottles of wine and am on my second JB and Coke.

Sir, I assure you, I am a very serious person. Just ask Pariah. He often pleads with me to be more fun-loving and relaxed, to no avail. My belief in Orbachianity is pure, honorable, and unflinching, and I shall not stand for your persecutions, you anti-Orbite.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
No it isn't. It's "Do you think God always knows what's best for us?" Your topic is more of a loud, capitalized command than a spiritual query.

They're synonymous actually.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Quote:

Animalman said:

They're synonymous actually.

Loud commands and spiritual queries are synonymous? Where did you learn grammar?

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

Randal_Flagg said:
I have already drunk two bottles of wine and am on my second JB and Coke

WHOA! Take it easy there. What would Jerry Orbach say?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
What would Modok do?

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
What would JESUS do?