Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Streak of 14 straight division titles ends as Braves are rained out:

Quote:

Most members of the Atlanta Braves probably weren't even watching when their record streak of division titles ended Tuesday night.

"We've known about it for some time," third baseman Chipper Jones said.

Atlanta's scheduled game against the Philadelphia Phillies was postponed due to rain Tuesday night, sparing the Braves the chore of seeing the Mets-Marlins scores posted on the scoreboard throughout the night.

New York's 6-4 win in a game delayed twice by rain eliminated the Braves from the NL East race, ending their string of 14 straight division championships.

The Braves and Phillies will make up the game as part of a doubleheader Wednesday, starting at 4:35 p.m. It will be the third doubleheader between the teams this season.

The Braves are five games under .500 and they began the day 19 games behind the first-place Mets, so the interest for Atlanta long ago shifted to the wild-card race.

The Braves' playoff hopes are slim. They are five games behind wild-card leader San Diego with 19 games left in the season.

"The margin for error is very small," Braves manager Bobby Cox said Tuesday. "The players know that, and they're going to keep giving it their best shot."

There were comments in both clubhouses that Atlanta's unprecedented run of division championships should be celebrated.

"I think people forget sometimes how hard it is to win," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said. "I think when you look up there and see 14 flags, I would call that better than good. Great, maybe. Then I look over and say, 'If they don't make it, I don't feel sorry for them.'"

Braves general manager John Schuerholz said the end of the run of division titles, which began in 1991 and excludes the 1994 strike-shortened season, is not reason to dismantle the team.

"The spirit of the organization isn't broken, nor is the mechanism that has built this grand run over 15 years broken," Schuerholz said. "It just needs a tuneup."

Added Schuerholz: "There are a lot of mechanics."

Schuerholz said he believes some fans couldn't fully appreciate the streak while it continued.

"I think this streak will look more grand and will stand more strongly at its end than it was appreciated in the middle," he said.

"It was a sort of a sameness to many people. I think looking back it will shine more brightly. It will be more grand. It will stand more proudly in the eyes of the people who understand baseball."

Jones said more time may have to pass before the 14-year streak can be placed in perspective.

"It probably won't be properly recognized for 10 or 20 years from now, but we can't do anything about that," Jones said.

Meanwhile, Jones said credit this season goes to the Mets.

"They've played well," he said. "They've played better than us.

"When they go out and stick it to you, you just have to tip your cap to them."

Tuesday's postponement came after the Braves took three of four from the Chicago Cubs to open a 10-game homestand. After three games with the Phillies, the Braves host Florida in a weekend series. The Phillies and Marlins are ahead of Atlanta in the wild-card standings.

Second-year Braves outfielder Jeff Francoeur was giving no thought to the end of the streak as he focused on the team's wild-card hopes.

"We're going to play as hard as we can the next six games and see what happens," he said.

Even if the Braves don't make the playoffs, Manuel said they should not be overlooked in 2007.

"I think if they get eliminated, I bet they bounce back next year," he said.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Sorry, drzsmith.

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Yeah...

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
what the fuck happened to the NL east this year

giant picture
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
the Mets happened.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
the mets are a phenom, no doubt.

but you go back just a single year, and every team in the division was above 500. ...except the mets. but even they were just 2 games under.

this year, they're all shite.

giant picture
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Last year, there wasn't a team(or teams) good enough to simply take control. Much like the NL West this year. Parity does not denote quality.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Liriano had to leave the game today in the 3rd against the As after pitching 2 beautiful innings.....if he can't come back that will hurt the Twins too.

Link Copied to Clipboard