I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
5-Year-Old in Coma After Dental Visit
By Associated Press
2 hours ago

CHICAGO - A 5-year-old Chicago girl who was sedated during a visit to the dentist never woke up and remained in a coma late last night at Children's Memorial Hospital.

Hospital officials say Diamond Brownridge, who had just started kindergarten, was on life support and in critical condition.

The girl's mother said her daughter was given an oral sedative, followed by an intravenous sedative and nitrous oxide gas at a storefront dental clinic in Chicago's Little Village neighborhood.

Diamond had complained of tooth pain and had been diagnosed with two cavities. In addition she was going to get caps on her lower front teeth.

The mother said she was told to leave the room during treatment, and when she returned a half-hour later, after paying the bill, she found her daughter lying on her side in the chair, not breathing.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
This is very sad. I hope the girl is all better soon!

life." - Tuvok.

Eat Me
500+ posts
Eat Me
500+ posts
Unfortunately, she passed away.

Girl dies after getting dental treatment

CHICAGO - A 5-year-old Chicago girl who never awoke from her sedation during a visit to the dentist died Wednesday at Children's Memorial Hospital, a hospital official said.

Kindergartner Diamond Brownridge had been in a coma and on life support since the weekend dentist visit, said Julie Pesch, a spokeswoman for Children's Memorial Hospital.

Family members have said Diamond received a triple dose of sedatives — an oral agent, an intravenous drug and nitrous oxide gas — during Saturday's exam at Little Angel Dental. The girl was having two cavities filled and caps placed on her lower front teeth.

The girl's mother, Ommettress Travis, has said she was asked to leave the room during the half-hour procedure. When she returned, her daughter was lying in the dental chair, not breathing, Travis said.

The girl's dentist, Hicham Riba, was certified to administer anesthesia to patients and his state license was current, said Susan Hofer, a spokeswoman for the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.

Speaking to the Chicago Sun-Times before the girl died, the 40-year-old Riba said he was traumatized by what happened. "I don't think I will ever go back to a normal life after an experience like this," he said.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
And in a really creepy, ironic, note, this is the banner ad for this thread, as chosen by Google.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
That is extremely sad. She was only five! Her life had just barely started.

I feel very sorry for her mother. She has to live with this for the rest of her life.

Damn.

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
OP Offline
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Dentist Suspended After Patient's Death
By Associated Press
1 hour ago

CHICAGO - State regulators have suspended the license of a dentist whose 5-year-old patient fell into a coma in his office and later died.

Dr. Hicham Riba's practices posed an "imminent danger to the public," the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation said Friday. It said Riba failed to properly monitor Diamond Brownridge's blood pressure, pulse and respiration during her treatment Sept. 23 at his storefront clinic.

The complaint said Riba recorded that Diamond was "alert and responsive" on discharge, although her mother claims to have found her comatose in the dental chair.

Diamond died Wednesday at Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago. She had been on life support for four days after her visit to Little Angel Dental to have some teeth filled and others capped.

Riba's attorneys confirmed the suspension late Friday pending an Oct. 13 hearing.

"Diamond's loss is tragic," Riba said in a statement. "As we have stated before, we have fully cooperated with the investigation and will continue to do so."

Riba, 40, faces up to $10,000 in fines for each of four violations, which include making false or fraudulent representations, professional incompetence and gross malpractice.

State regulators said Diamond received two injections of diazepam or Valium within five minutes, followed by oral Valium, lidocaine, several other medications, and nitrous oxide. The regulators did not say whether the combination or the dosages were appropriate for the 35-pound girl.

life." - Tuvok.

Link Copied to Clipboard