Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Police report: Owens hospitalized after suicide attempt:

Quote:

DALLAS -- Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide by overdosing on pain medication, even putting two more pills into his mouth after fire rescue personnel arrived, The Associated Press reported Wednesday citing a police report.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told a friend "that he was depressed." The report was first released by WFAA-TV.

The friend, who is not identified in the report, "noticed that [his] prescription pain medication was empty and observed [Owens] putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said.

The friend attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied. Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time [he] stated, 'Yes.'"

KTVT-TV in Dallas reported that a woman named "Etheridge", likely his publicist Kim Etheridge, called police at 7:51 p.m. to report a suicide attempt. KTVT-TV reported that Owens ingested 35 pills.

Owens left the hospital early this morning, The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported. A hospital spokeswoman told The Associated Press early Wednesday there was no patient registered as Terrell Owens, although federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released.

Dallas police officials, who said they were planning a news conference later Wednesday, did not immediately release a time. The Cowboys have called a 2:30 p.m. ET news conference.

Owens' publicist and agent, and the Cowboys, did not return repeated calls from The Associated Press. No teammates or Cowboys officials were seen entering the hospital late Tuesday night.

Owens was taken to the emergency room Tuesday night. A source close to Owens had told ESPN's Ed Werder early Wednesday morning that Owens was suffering an adverse reaction to painkillers taken for treatment of his fractured hand.

"This is not serious," Etheridge said in Wednesday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, before news of the reported suicide attempt was released.

A report earlier Tuesday stated that Owens would practice with the team Wednesday and possibly play Sunday at Tennessee, but his availability this week and beyond is now uncertain.

Owens fractured the fourth metacarpal bone in the Cowboys' victory over the Washington Redskins and underwent surgery on Sept. 18. The next day, a plate was screwed in, protecting the bone so it can heal without further damage.

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells mentioned in a press conference shortly thereafter that pain medication had made Owens ill, apparently making this the second time he has had an adverse reaction. The incident that sent him to the hospital Tuesday night apparently occurred sometime after Owens took medication after catching passes at the Cowboys' facility on Tuesday.

With the Cowboys having had a bye last weekend, it was thought that Owens could return without having missed a game. Before Wednesday's developments, Owens said he would play Oct. 8, when he gets to face his former team, the Eagles, in Philadelphia.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
I heard he had been taken to the hospital last night(it was all over the local news), but I assumed it was due to an allergic reaction or something. It wasn't until later it was being reported as a suicide attempt. I'm not exactly sure if that was what really was going on, but the smoking gun seems to think so.

A very odd twist in what seems to be the pathogically odd life of the one self-proclaimed "TO".

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
It is sad to attempt to end one's life. There are always other options.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

400+ posts
400+ posts
It was a reaction after all. The media just projected a lot of wishful thinking into a nonexistent story.

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Actually, in this case, I think the media is fairly innocent. Owens told the police he had intended to harm himself(later saying that he was incoherent and was too dazed to remember what he told them), and witnesses who watched him chug a few pills corroborated that claim.

So, in this case, the media only reported the "facts" that came from the police reports. That's why the police are apparently asking for an apology from Owens.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
It's my understanding from radio interviews (sorry, no link) that Owens has had the bottle of pills for 9 days and now he's out of them? He's been taking his supplementals regularly and NOW he has a reaction? And why are the police involved?

Just weird stuff. And to think Keyshawn was the normal one...

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.

Link Copied to Clipboard