Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#750144 2006-10-27 5:58 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Pain-pill addiction's a bitch. Makes you think you have the right to condemn someone who's trying to help a needy cause, like Michael J. Fox. Thus, Limbaugh is an asshole.

Thoughts?

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Rush plays an important role in our lives.

You see, he's a terrific teacher.

He teaches us how not to behave, and about what we ought not to say.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
See...I don't deny him the right to have and express his ideals any more than anyone else. The real problem here is the narrow minded simpleton masses that put stock in this drivel.

The public is the real enemy here, not one man with delusions of importance.

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I suppose it depends on your definition of "trying to help people."

Fox was appearing in a partisan campaign ad. If that's "helping people," then isn't every attack ad an effort at "helping people"? After all, each side thinks "their" cause is correct.

As for Rush, while I think his comments were strong, Limbaugh has always been part commentator, part "showman/provacateur". Therefore, its not terribly surprising that he'd follow along the same footsteps as the mocking the "South Park" guys gave Chris Reeve once Fox stepped into the arena of partisan politics.

In that vein, on yesterday's Today show, the normally reliabily moderate to moderately liberal Matt Laurer, while interviewing Susan Estrich about the Fox v Limbaugh kerfluffle, observed:

...if Michael Fox goes out there politically and puts himself into the fray, he has to expect to be, you know, taken to account, correct?

Estrich, a former Democratic campaign consultant, interestingly, agreed: "Correct. And he is being taken to account."

There's also the fact that a fair number of people are saying that Fox lied in the ad.

For example, Mary L. Davenport, MD is an obstetrician and gynecologist, and a Fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

She's called Fox's claims "unconscionable":

Mr. Fox and his ads' sponsors are guilty of conflating embryonic stem cell research, which the GOP candidates and many Americans oppose for destroying a human life in the name of curing other people's diseases, with stem cell research in general, which includes adult stem cell research and umbilical cord blood stem cell research.

The only limits in question are on federal funding of new embryonic stem cell lines, requiring the sacrifice of new embryos. Private and state-funded research is ongoing. The implicit claim that research based on new embryos is "the most promising" is absurd, completely unsupported by the scientific literature, and an insult to voters, based as it is on the assumption that they are incapable of understanding the issue. Too stupid to tell the difference, is the elitist assumption underlying this campaign.

Flim-flam is a charitable description.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
See kids...this is what happens when you spout pc rehtoric without knowing the issues at hand.

I'd like some ketchup with my foot please...

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
klinton #750149 2006-10-27 6:45 PM
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
It's okay, Klinton. The ponies still love you.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
There's also the fact that a fair number of people are saying that Fox

From REPUBLICANS for a Fair Media. The article is also titled "Limbaugh + Coulter were Right", then citing that "author Ann Coulter says Democrats often use the sympathy strategy."

So, totally unbiased, right?

Quote:

lied in the ad.

An Op-Ed piece from The Orlando Sentinel....so, obviously fact, right?

Quote:

For example, Mary L. Davenport, MD is an obstetrician and gynecologist, and a Fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Mr. Fox and his ads' sponsors are guilty of conflating embryonic stem cell research, which the GOP candidates and many Americans oppose for destroying a human life in the name of curing other people's diseases, with stem cell research in general, which includes adult stem cell research and umbilical cord blood stem cell research.

The only limits in question are on federal funding of new embryonic stem cell lines, requiring the sacrifice of new embryos. Private and state-funded research is ongoing. The implicit claim that research based on new embryos is "the most promising" is absurd, completely unsupported by the scientific literature, and an insult to voters, based as it is on the assumption that they are incapable of understanding the issue. Too stupid to tell the difference, is the elitist assumption underlying this campaign.

Mary Davenport

Mary Davenport is an obstetrician/gynecologist practicing medicine in El Sobrante, California. She graduated from Smith College, received her M.D. from Tufts University School of Medicine, and completed her residency at the University of California, San Diego. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and has served on the clinical faculty of the University of California, San Francisco Medical School. She is a member of the board of directors of the American Association of Pro-Life Obstetricians and Gynecologists and strictly follows the teachings of the Catholic Church in her practice of medicine.

You forgot that part, I'm sure...

Sorry. I'm not up to being spoonfed Conservative rhetoric today, thanks...

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
There's also the fact that a fair number of people are saying that Fox

From REPUBLICANS for a Fair Media. The article is also titled "Limbaugh + Coulter were Right", then citing that "author Ann Coulter says Democrats often use the sympathy strategy."

So, totally unbiased, right?

Quote:

lied in the ad.

An Op-Ed piece from The Orlando Sentinel....so, obviously fact, right?

Quote:

Mary Davenport

Mary Davenport is an obstetrician/gynecologist practicing medicine in El Sobrante, California. She graduated from Smith College, received her M.D. from Tufts University School of Medicine, and completed her residency at the University of California, San Diego. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and has served on the clinical faculty of the University of California, San Francisco Medical School. She is a member of the board of directors of the American Association of Pro-Life Obstetricians and Gynecologists and strictly follows the teachings of the Catholic Church in her practice of medicine.

You forgot that part, I'm sure...

Sorry. I'm not up to being spoonfed Conservative rhetoric today, thanks...

Are things just overheated 'cause of the upcoming election, or is it always like this around here?

Beware the advice of successful people. They do not seek company.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
She is a member of the board of directors of the American Association of Pro-Life Obstetricians and Gynecologists and strictly follows the teachings of the Catholic Church in her practice of medicine.

But how does that prove she is wrong?

Basically, you're attacking her simply on the basis of her religion. How...tolerant...of diversity.

But even if you assume she has a bias based on her personal life, then you need to admit that Fox also has a bias on the basis of his personal life.

So we have two biased individuals. One's a doctor and the other's...an actor.

Finally, as noted above, even if you think Fox is correct, the fact of the matter is that he inserted himself into the political debate voluntarily. Are you saying the fact he has a disease makes him, unlike other partisans, somehow immune from criticism or ridicule?

dogbert #750153 2006-10-27 7:23 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Have a look around the this forum. It's always like this. The moderator (well, one of them...but, since Wednesday never involves himself in anything here lately, really it's just G-Man) has hard Right leanings, and likes to spin as much as he can to make it fit his political idealogy. Not all of us agree with his views. Thus, welcome to the Political Forum of the RKMBs.

P.S. Don't read too much into our venom. G-Man and I like to spar. Keeps my heartrate up and is probably good for his blood pressure, too...

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Have a look around the this forum. It's always like this. The moderator (well, one of them...but, since Wednesday never involves himself in anything here lately, really it's just G-Man) has hard Right leanings, and likes to spin as much as he can to make it fit his political idealogy. Not all of us agree with his views. Thus, welcome to the Political Forum of the RKMBs.

P.S. Don't read too much into our venom. G-Man and I like to spar. Keeps my heartrate up and is probably good for his blood pressure, too...

Oh, I'm all for a good fight, and I like putting spinsters in their places.

I'm just wondering if things are gonna simmer down after the elections are over or not.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
But how does that prove she is wrong?

Basically, you're attacking her simply on the basis of her religion. How...tolerant...of diversity.

Oh, so quick to judge, aren't you?

It proves that she cannot make any form of objective argument, as it's obvious her personal beliefs sway emphasis to her opinions. Even science can be spun. Just ask all the doctors and scientists that support stem-cell. Think they're all wrong?

Quote:

But even if you assume she has a bias based on her personal life, then you need to admit that Fox also has a bias on the basis of his personal life.

So we have two biased individuals. One's a doctor and the other's...an actor.

And yet, only one of them has Parkinsons. Which one?

Quote:

Finally, as noted above, even if you think Fox is correct, the fact of the matter is that he inserted himself into the political debate voluntarily. Are you saying the fact he has a disease makes him, unlike other partisans, somehow immune from criticism or ridicule?

Not at all. And, I never said that. The point, and my opinon following, is that instead of tackling the subject from an objective stand-point, Rush decided to go for a smear tactic and tries to state that Fox is exagerrating his illness, or, isn't taking his meds to garner more pity. That's not only immature, and illogical, it's reprehensible coming from someone who has little to no knowledge of what the fuck he's talking about. Fox is doing this to try and gain push behind the cause of research for an illness. Limbaugh only wants soundbytes. Thus, whether you agree with Fox or not, it's obvious that Rush is just being an asshole...

dogbert #750156 2006-10-27 7:32 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

dogbert said:

I'm just wondering if things are gonna simmer down after the elections are over or not.

I doubt this forum will ever "simmer down". You just have to jump into the deep end and swim...

300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

dogbert said:

I doubt this forum will ever "simmer down". You just have to jump into the deep end and swim...

*Puts on goggles*

Works for me.

For now, I'm content to sit back and watch...and learn...and plot...

Soon enough, I'll enter the fray in full force. And dominate all who stand in my way.

dogbert #750158 2006-10-27 7:47 PM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

dogbert said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:

I hope not. I'd hate to think of what adler will do for new material after all this is over.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Even if we concede that Limbaugh was over the top (again, ala "South Park" and Reeve), Fox was the one who chose to use his illness to score political points.

Clearly, Fox wanted people to feel some level of sympathy for him personally, and to vote based on that emotional response.

That's his right. However, as Lauer and Estritch noted, by doing so he opened his illness up for discussion and, therefore, criticism.

As someone who's been in the public eye for over 20 years, surely Fox is not so naive as to think his entry into partisan politics was immune to comment.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
He's from Hollywood. He's not used to people around him having opinions that differ from his own.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

I hope not. I'd hate to think of what adler will do for new material after all this is over.

Which one's adler?

dogbert #750162 2006-10-27 7:52 PM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
r3xyz... something. Can't be arsed to look it up. Much like Jon Stewart, he'd be one of my favorite comedians if he weren't so hopelessly mired in his own political leanings.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Even if we concede that Limbaugh was over the top (again, ala "South Park" and Reeve),

Why you keep comparing Rush, a political commentator, to South Park, a cartoon on Comedy Central, I have no idea...

Quote:

Fox was the one who chose to use his illness to score political points.

Did he? Or, did he step in to try and promote political backing and awareness for a prominent disease?

Quote:

Clearly, Fox wanted people to feel some level of sympathy for him personally, and to vote based on that emotional response.

How so? By appearing and speaking? By making an ad? Does the very fact that his disease is visually evident mean that whenever he appears anywhere, at any time, he's trying to garner sympathy or emotion?

Quote:

That's his right. However, as Lauer and Estritch noted, by doing so he opened his illness up for discussion and, therefore, criticism.

As someone who's been in the public eye for over 20 years, surely Fox is not so naive as to think his entry into partisan politics was immune to comment.

Again, and repeated, not in doubt. However, there's a difference between someone who is critical of him based on logic and facts, and not just "the other side" trying to smear him with lies and spin...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
He's from Hollywood. He's not used to people around him having opinions that differ from his own.

Phil Smith, the RKMBs #1 Sideline Cheerleader...

Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
Much like Jon Stewart, he'd be one of my favorite comedians if he weren't so hopelessly mired in his own political leanings.

You prefer Bill O'Reilley to get your laughs?

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Oh, so quick to judge, aren't you?

It proves that she cannot make any form of objective argument, as it's obvious her personal beliefs sway emphasis to her opinions. Even science can be spun. Just ask all the doctors and scientists that support stem-cell. Think they're all wrong?

As usual, you prove yourself to be the biggest moron on the East Coast (before, it was the South). You haven't even heard her arguments and yet you judge her and then go onto say that the majority is always right. You probably haven't even paid as much as two glances at the stem-cell debate to know whether or not she's "spun" anything let alone proved it. If she's a doctor, then that puts her in the same arena as those other voluminous doctors and scientists you fall back on. In which case, you can't just brush her word off.

Quote:

And yet, only one of them has Parkinsons. Which one?

So, for the record, you feel that anyone who has Parkinsons should be believed regarding anything they say as long as they say it?

Quote:

Not at all. And, I never said that. The point, and my opinon following, is that instead of tackling the subject from an objective stand-point, Rush decided to go for a smear tactic and tries to state that Fox is exagerrating his illness, or, isn't taking his meds to garner more pity.

Fox has been seen on many other appearances before that commercial, and he's never shaken that badly. He's made a show of moving around a lot to cover up the shakes, but they were small. Unless your next argument is going to be, "He's showing how intense it can get--It's for a good cause," then you're just re-hashing an old grudge with Limbaugh for anything he says (no matter what it may be).

dogbert #750167 2006-10-27 8:48 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

dogbert said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

dogbert said:

*Puts on goggles*

Works for me.

For now, I'm content to sit back and watch...and learn...and plot...

Soon enough, I'll enter the fray in full force. And dominate all who stand in my way.

Look everyone! Whomod's back!

Pariah #750168 2006-10-27 8:49 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts

Can't you let the new guy settle in before you show your ignorance, Pariah?

Pariah #750169 2006-10-27 8:55 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
As usual, you prove yourself to be the biggest moron on the East Coast (before, it was the South). You haven't even heard her arguments and yet you judge her and then go onto say that the majority is always right. You probably haven't even paid as much as two glances at the stem-cell debate to know whether or not she's "spun" anything let alone proved it. If she's a doctor, then that puts her in the same arena as those other voluminous doctors and scientists you fall back on. In which case, you can't just brush her word off.

Certainly I can, just as fast and as much as I do yours. Neither you, or the Doctor, can obviously make objective analysis of this situation. You make insults instead of arguments, Pariah. Stop being a joke. Please. For your own sake.

Quote:

So, for the record, you feel that anyone who has Parkinsons should be believed regarding anything they say as long as they say it?

Spin it, baby, spin it! You and G-Man should join forces and fight crime.

Quote:

Fox has been seen on many other appearances before that commercial, and he's never shaken that badly. He's made a show of moving around a lot to cover up the shakes, but they were small. Unless your next argument is going to be, "He's showing how intense it can get--It's for a good cause," then you're just re-hashing an old grudge with Limbaugh for anything he says (no matter what it may be).

You assume you've seen every appearance with Fox, and then, you assume I have an "old grudge" against Limbaugh.

These are the reasons why I never feel the need to debate with you Pariah. You live in a fictional world, and attack everything you disagree with and do not understand. Make assumptions all you want. When you want to debate the facts and points of what G-Man and I are talking about, get back to me. Until then, keep on keeping on...

Pariah #750170 2006-10-27 8:55 PM
300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Look everyone! Whomod's back!

Whomod's on first?

(Whatmod's on second, I Don't Knowmod is on third, right?)

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Why you keep comparing Rush, a political commentator, to South Park, a cartoon on Comedy Central, I have no idea...

As noted earlier, Limbaugh has always been as much a satirist and provacteur as a legitimate commentator. He performs in skits, plays parody songs and tells jokes on a regular basis on the program.

He uses humor and exageration to make points, not unlike Stone and Parker.

Stone and Parker mocked Reeve for his stem cell "obsession", Limbaugh mocked Fox.

Quote:

Did [Fox use his illness to score political points]? Or, did he step in to try and promote political backing and awareness for a prominent disease?

He went beyond stem cell research advocacy. He specifically endorsed one candidate and attacked the other. That's "poliitcal"

Quote:

Does the very fact that his disease is visually evident mean that whenever he appears anywhere, at any time, he's trying to garner sympathy or emotion?

He specifically asked people to vote for his endorsed candidate. He did so at a time when, for whatever reason, his seizures were visibly more pronounced than when he, for example, films "Boston Legal."

Why did Fox do the ad, if not to stir sympathy and emotion?

Furthermore, as noted above, there is a real question whether Fox's statements against the Republican candidate were even accurate:

"Senator Jim Talent opposes expanding stem cell research," Fox says in the 30-second spot. "Senator Talent even wanted to criminalize the science that gives us a chance for hope."

Talent's campaign called the ad a false attack.

"Senator Talent supports medical research including stem cell research that doesn't involve cloning or destroying a human embryo," said Talent spokesman Rich Chrismer.

Earlier this year, Talent withdrew his support for a Senate bill that would ban all embryonic stem cell research and impose a million-dollar fine and jail sentence on violators. But he opposes the Missouri ballot initiative, claiming it would "make cloning human life at the earliest stage a constitutional right."

Granted, you may, for whatever reason, chose not to believe Talent. However, the mere fact that Fox, who "has been politically active for Democratic causes [and] campaigned for John Kerry" might suffer from a disease doesn't make him automatically more credible that Talent, or anyone else.

Finally, as noted on another thread, even Scientific American (hardly a "right wing" or "Catholic" magazine) has reported on some of the inherent dangers in embyonic stem cells, including cancer. Much of the Republicans opposition to federal funding has been based on those dangers. In contrast, many (if not most) Republicans support federal funding for non-embryonic stem cell research which, as noted in the other thread, may be even more promising.

Given that support, isn't a bit disingenuous for Fox to portray Talent, as wanting to criminalize stem cell research?

Finally, if we get right down to it. Fox, a millionaire, is attacking politicians for not spending other peoples' money, and engaging in perhaps scientifically risky research for his Fox's personal benefit.

Is that nobility...or self interest?

And, if so, why is Fox's self interest any more important than any other "special interest group"?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Certainly I can, just as fast and as much as I do yours. Neither you, or the Doctor, can obviously make objective analysis of this situation. You make insults instead of arguments... Stop being a joke. Please. For your own sake

Quote:

Prometheus also, and paradoxically, said:
Limbaugh is an asshole

Quote:

Prometheus also said:...spoonfed Conservative rhetoric...

Quote:

As well as:
...she cannot make any form of objective argument, as it's obvious her personal beliefs sway emphasis to her opinions

Quote:

and
That's not only immature, and illogical, it's reprehensible ...someone who has little to no knowledge of what the fuck he's talking about...Limbaugh only wants soundbytes...Rush is just being an asshole...

Well, at least your above insults and nonobjectivity.

the G-man #750173 2006-10-27 10:15 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Well spun. But did I insult anyone here? No. Pariah makes it his mission to butt into conversations, insult people, and then run back to re-writing the Bible, or whatever it is he does in his off hours.

Oh, and it's "you're" not "your". -4 points...

Prometheus #750174 2006-10-27 10:17 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Promod corrected my spelling in lieu of addressing my points.

You know what that means.

I win again.

the G-man #750175 2006-10-27 10:37 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
As noted earlier, Limbaugh has always been as much a satirist and provacteur as a legitimate commentator. He performs in skits, plays parody songs and tells jokes on a regular basis on the program.

He uses humor and exageration to make points, not unlike Stone and Parker.

Stone and Parker mocked Reeve for his stem cell "obsession", Limbaugh mocked Fox.

So, then, it's your stance that we should take Rush Limbaugh's opinions with the same amount of intellectual cred as we take South Park? Heh. Oooookay...fair enough...

Quote:

He went beyond stem cell research advocacy. He specifically endorsed one candidate and attacked the other. That's "poliitcal"

Did he "attack"? Or, did he state his lack of support for the opponent? There's a difference.

Quote:

He specifically asked people to vote for his endorsed candidate. He did so at a time when, for whatever reason, his seizures were visibly more pronounced than when he, for example, films "Boston Legal."

And, yet, any time spent reading about Fox, and his current acting gigs, knows that he can only film so many shots at a time without jerking, as well, as the fact that the crew shoot around his visual availability. Why wasn't the same done for the "commercial"? What's the point of being the poster boy for the disease, if you have to hide it while trying to make a point about it? That doesn't seem logical to me.

Quote:

Why did Fox do the ad, if not to stir sympathy and emotion?

I've answered this.

Quote:

Furthermore, as noted above, there is a real question whether Fox's statements against the Republican candidate were even accurate:

"Senator Jim Talent opposes expanding stem cell research," Fox says in the 30-second spot. "Senator Talent even wanted to criminalize the science that gives us a chance for hope."

Talent's campaign called the ad a false attack.

"Senator Talent supports medical research including stem cell research that doesn't involve cloning or destroying a human embryo," said Talent spokesman Rich Chrismer.

Earlier this year, Talent withdrew his support for a Senate bill that would ban all embryonic stem cell research and impose a million-dollar fine and jail sentence on violators. But he opposes the Missouri ballot initiative, claiming it would "make cloning human life at the earliest stage a constitutional right."

First of all, if you were cutting and pasting the quote, why did you edit out the "Unfortunately" at the beginning of his statement? To make him sound more "accusatory"?

Second, you left off this bit...

Supporters of the state referendum deny that assertion, noting the language of the proposed constitutional amendment explicitly bans human cloning.

Thus, sounds like Fox was pretty accurate in his statement.

Quote:

Granted, you may, for whatever reason, chose not to believe Talent. However, the mere fact that Fox, who "has been politically active for Democratic causes [and] campaigned for John Kerry" might suffer from a disease doesn't make him automatically more credible that Talent, or anyone else.

No one said it did. And, again, you're straying from the issue. Disagreeing with Fox is fine. But, like Limbaugh, don't make assumptions about him "acting" or "being off his meds" just because you (not you, literally, but Rush) disagree with his politics. Instead of coming at him with facts and reason, Limbaugh wants to smear him personally. That's the reason he's an asshole.

Quote:

Finally, as noted on another thread, even Scientific American (hardly a "right wing" or "Catholic" magazine) has reported on some of the inherent dangers in embyonic stem cells, including cancer. Much of the Republicans opposition to federal funding has been based on those dangers.

Somehow, I doubt fear of cancer keeps them from supporting, at the very least, active research into the concept. More to the point, I would bet dollars to dicks that it's the religious base of their party that thinks it's "unholy", or something. However...and I freely admit this plainly...that's just my opinion.

Quote:

In contrast, many (if not most) Republicans support federal funding for non-embryonic stem cell research which, as noted in the other thread, may be even more promising.

Then, if it's all the more promising, why isn't it given more support? What would be the point of even bothering with embryonic research? Could it be that the results from testings are incomplete? Or that it's only in theoretical stages, and thus, would set back the research decades? Curious.

Quote:

Given that support, isn't a bit disingenuous for Fox to portray Talent, as wanting to criminalize stem cell research?

Where did he say Talent was wanting to "criminalize" anything? He simply pointed out the fact that Talent doesn't support the research. And, given the above, he's right.

Quote:

Finally, if we get right down to it. Fox, a millionaire, is attacking politicians for not spending other peoples' money, and engaging in perhaps scientifically risky research for his Fox's personal benefit.

Is that nobility...or self interest?

Oh that's petty, man. You cannot say that he wants it because of himself. That's an illogical line to draw. If they had a spokesperson for the disease that didn't even HAVE the disease, how on Earth would that be effective by any stretch?

Quote:

And, if so, why is Fox's self interest any more important than any other "special interest group"?

Who said they were? He didn't. I didn't either. Where's that coming from? Don't blame Fox because he has Parkinson's, and happens to be a celebrity...

the G-man #750176 2006-10-27 10:38 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Promod corrected my spelling lieu of addressing my points.

You know what that means.

I win again.

I didn't see in the Political Blog Rule Book that there was a time limit...

Prometheus #750177 2006-10-27 10:43 PM
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I saw the ad in question. Fox was bobbing and weaving like a drunken sailor in a barfight.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Prometheus #750178 2006-10-27 10:53 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

And, yet, any time spent reading about Fox, and his current acting gigs, knows that he can only film so many shots at a time without jerking, as well, as the fact that the crew shoot around his visual availability. Why wasn't the same done for the "commercial"? What's the point of being the poster boy for the disease, if you have to hide it while trying to make a point about it? That doesn't seem logical to me.

I'm sure you have no problem with shelling out for sympathy, but I would want my favorite actors or politicians to make a coherent point without the use of exaggeration. If Paris Hilton was going to give a lecture on the dangers of herpes, would you really want to see her in an outbreak of disgusting sores while she talked to you about it? Or worse, what if she tried to hammer the point home by showing how damaging it is elsewhere.

Quote:

Then, if it's all the more promising, why isn't it given more support? What would be the point of even bothering with embryonic research? Could it be that the results from testings are incomplete? Or that it's only in theoretical stages, and thus, would set back the research decades? Curious.

The entire debate over stem cells evolved from scientific value to moral justification a long time ago. Since embryonic research has fallen flat while use of dead adults and umbilical cords has proven many times more successful, the embryo-exploitation camp is too embarressed to admit defeat.

Quote:

Where did he say Talent was wanting to "criminalize" anything?

Did you even watch the commercial?

Quote:

If they had a spokesperson for the disease that didn't even HAVE the disease, how on Earth would that be effective by any stretch?

.......Are you serious?

Pariah #750179 2006-10-27 11:20 PM
Regenerated
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
I'm sure you have no problem with shelling out for sympathy, but I would want my favorite actors or politicians to make a coherent point without the use of exaggeration.

Heh...explain "Mission Accomplished" then...

Quote:

If Paris Hilton was going to give a lecture on the dangers of herpes, would you really want to see her in an outbreak of disgusting sores while she talked to you about it? Or worse, what if she tried to hammer the point home by showing how damaging it is elsewhere.

No, I would need her, or anyone else, to obviously be afflicted by whatever disease they are championing for me to accept their expertise on the subject.

Quote:

The entire debate over stem cells evolved from scientific value to moral justification a long time ago. Since embryonic research has fallen flat while use of dead adults and umbilical cords has proven many times more successful, the embryo-exploitation camp is too embarressed to admit defeat.

Yeah....that's it. They're too "embarressed". No reason to actually go investigating the best possible lead for the cure. No, they have their "egos" involved. Right. That makes sense...

Quote:

Did you even watch the commercial?

Yep. Did you?

Quote:

.......Are you serious?

I could ask the same of you...

Prometheus #750180 2006-10-27 11:47 PM
500+ posts
500+ posts
I haven't seen the ad, but have always thought of Limbaugh as an ass. Will return to argue the point after I see the ad and read/watch Limbaugh's response.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle
Prometheus #750181 2006-10-28 12:05 AM
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
Online Cool
brother from another mother
15000+ posts

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Pain-pill addiction's a bitch. Makes you think you have the right to condemn someone who's trying to help a needy cause, like Michael J. Fox. Thus, Limbaugh is an asshole.

Thoughts?

It's been argued before that liberals like to hide behind the "untouchable". Have someone who's an identified "victim" make your political claims for you then if anyone criticises them hang them for being insensitive or an asshole. Look at Pro's response here. Fox can't be condemed because he's trying to help a needy cause? I guess if you call getting Democrats elected a needy cause, but i call it politics.

Here's teh add in question. Agree or dissagree you should all be honest enough to recognise it as a politcal add and not a Public service announcement.

* Youtube isn;t working for me... so here's the link.

here.

Last edited by wannabuyamonkey; 2006-10-28 12:46 AM.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Believe it or not....I agree with G-man, Rush and Michael J. Fox all at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard