Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#750922 2006-10-31 7:19 AM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
The season kicks off..well, technically, tonight. A double-header on TNT.

So, some predictions, n'stuff.

Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division:
1.New Jersey Nets(4)
2.New York Knicks
3.Boston Celtics
4.Philadelphia 76ers
5.Toronto Raptors

Central Division:
1.Cleveland Cavaliers(2)
2.Chicago Bulls(5)
3.Detroit Pistons(6)
4.Indiana Pacers(8)
5.Milwaukee Bucks

Southeast Division:
1.Miami Heat(1)
2.Orlando Magic(3)
3.Washington Wizards(7)
4.Charlotte Bobcats
5.Atlanta Hawks

Western Conference
Northwest:
1.Utah Jazz(4)
2.Denver Nuggets(7)
3.Minnesota Twolves
4.Seattle Sonics
5.Portland Trailblazers

Pacific:
1.Phoenix Suns(3)
2.LA Clippers(6)
3.LA Lakers(8)
4.Sacremento Kings
5.Golden State Warriors

Southwest:
1.San Antonio Spurs(1)
2.Dallas Mavericks(2)
3.Houston Rockets(5)
4.Memphis Grizzlies
5.New Orleans Hornets

Finals
Spurs over Cavs

Awards
MVP: LeBron James
ROY: Brandon Roy
DPY: Andrei Kirilenko
MIP: Darko Milicic
6MY: Troy Hudson
COY: Jerry Sloan

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division:
1.New Jersey Nets(2)
2.Toronto Raptors(8)
3.Boston Celtics
4.New York Knicks
5.Philadelphia 76ers

Central Division:
1.Cleveland Cavaliers(3)
2.Chicago Bulls(4)
3.Detroit Pistons(6)
4.Indiana Pacers
5.Milwaukee Bucks

Southeast Division:
1.Miami Heat(1)
2.Washington Wizards(5)
3.Orlando Magic(7)
4.Charlotte Bobcats
5.Atlanta Hawks

Western Conference
Northwest:
1.Denver Nuggets(3)
2.Utah Jazz(6)
3.Minnesota Timberwolves
4.Seattle Sonics
5.Portland Trailblazers

Pacific:
1.Phoenix Suns(4)
2.LA Clippers(5)
3.LA Lakers(8)
4.Sacremento Kings
5.Golden State Warriors

Southwest:
1.Dallas Mavericks(1)
2.San Antonio Spurs(2)
3.Houston Rockets(7)
4.New Orleans Hornets
5.Memphis Grizzlies

Finals
Mavs over Wizards, in 5.

Awards
MVP: LeBron James
ROY: Andrea Bargnani
DPY: Tyson Chandler
MIP: Sebastian Telfair
COY: Avery Johnson

He fixes the cable?
TK-069 #750924 2006-10-31 4:42 PM
500+ posts
500+ posts
YAY RAPTORS!

Toronto is buzzing about basketball for the first time in years.

JLA for MO....oh....

999,999 Points, Sucka!
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
I like the potential of a Bargnani/Bosh frontcourt as much as the next guy, but I can't say I'm buying the Raptors as a sleeper team this year(even in the east); not when you're replacing a career year from Mike James and a dynamite young talent in Charlie Villanueva with T.J Ford. That's not to say T.J is terrible or anything. Actually, I'm as big a T.J fan as there is, from his days as a Longhorn. Still, it's a huge drop in production.

Chris Bosh is a franchise player and is really the third best player from the '04 draft(not Carmelo), but for now it's still pretty meager after him.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
go warriors...i really hope don nelson knows what hes doing

big_pimp_tim-made it cool to roll in the first damn place!
Mon Jun 11 2007 09:27 PM-harley finally rolled with me
"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

Some day, Knutreturns just may be the greatest of us all...."-THE bastard
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
I like the potential of a Bargnani/Bosh frontcourt as much as the next guy, but I can't say I'm buying the Raptors as a sleeper team this year(even in the east); not when you're replacing a career year from Mike James and a dynamite young talent in Charlie Villanueva with T.J Ford. That's not to say T.J is terrible or anything. Actually, I'm as big a T.J fan as there is, from his days as a Longhorn. Still, it's a huge drop in production.

Chris Bosh is a franchise player and is really the third best player from the '04 draft(not Carmelo), but for now it's still pretty meager after him.

Mike James might have had a career year, but he was a shoot first pg and a very selfish player who was just playing for a bigger payday. With T.J. Ford, Toronto gets an unselfish player that'll feed Bosh and Bargnani and then when other teams start to compensate with double coverage, T.J. can convert on his own.

Add that to the points that Fred Jones will put up and the points that Morris Peterson will comtribute off the bench, I think the void left by Mike James won't be as noticable.

And after watching Mike James for a whole season, I can tell you that it won't be long until Kevin Garnett complains to coaches about not getting enough touches.

JLA for MO....oh....

999,999 Points, Sucka!
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Quote:

The Watcher said:
Mike James might have had a career year, but he was a shoot first pg and a very selfish player who was just playing for a bigger payday. With T.J. Ford, Toronto gets an unselfish player that'll feed Bosh and Bargnani and then when other teams start to compensate with double coverage, T.J. can convert on his own.

Mike James was a shoot first point guard, but there's nothing wrong with a shoot first point guard. I think that's one of the biggest misconceptions held by most basketball fans(and some analysts, as well).

I watched him a good bit while he was in Houston, and I followed his boxscores last year as much as I could. I didn't see anything that made me believe he was "selfish". He took 15 shots a game. Hardly a grotesque total, especially given the number of minutes he had to play, and the fact that the Raptors were terrible last year(no offense, and by that I mean both that they were offensively inept, and that I mean no offense to you, a Raptor fan). He was an effecient scorer, he didn't turn the ball over, and his assist rates were respectable for a player who didn't have many quality finishers to pass it to.

T.J Ford is a terrific athlete and an exciting player when he's on...but he's an awful shooter, and a lot more turnover prone. Unselfish as he may be, there will be a big drop in production. It isn't a sure thing that Bargnani will duplicate Villanueva's stellar rookie season, either.

Quote:

And after watching Mike James for a whole season, I can tell you that it won't be long until Kevin Garnett complains to coaches about not getting enough touches.

Garnett isn't a player that needs the ball to dominate, so that's pretty unlikely. Actually, I bet he's ecstatic to have another scorer on his team. The poor guy has basically been playing alone out there almost his entire career Shockingly, the one year management did get some quality players around him, they went to the conference finals. Amazing what not having a supporting cast of spare parts will get you.

I don't think James will be nearly as good as he was in Toronto, though. His 2006 season had all the signs of a classic fluke year.

500+ posts
500+ posts
My argument about Mike James isn't that he took 15 shots a game, it's when he took his shots. Instead of going through the Toronto's clutch player in Chris Bosh with the game on the line, he almost always decided to shoot it himself.

His "me first" attitude is probably what rubs me the wrong way about him.

JLA for MO....oh....

999,999 Points, Sucka!
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Can't believe the Knicks pulled it out in 3 OT. Thought for sure Isiah would find a way to screw things up.

Steve Francis had 2 points and fouled out. Starbury had 19 and fouled out. In 18 minutes Nate Robinson had 14 points. Jamal Crawford came off the bench for 21. The wrong guys are starting at guard for the Knicks it seems.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Quote:

The Watcher said:
My argument about Mike James isn't that he took 15 shots a game, it's when he took his shots. Instead of going through the Toronto's clutch player in Chris Bosh with the game on the line, he almost always decided to shoot it himself.

His "me first" attitude is probably what rubs me the wrong way about him.

Well, even if he is selfish, Ford and Bargnani won't be an improvement over James and Villenueva. I'm willing to make a heavy wager on that one.

Still, I like the team, on a personal level. Bosh, Ford, and P.J Tucker. I saw all the first two in high school, and the last two regularly in Austin, so I get an extra-giddy cool feeling when I see 'em on the telly, in an NBA uniform. They're like the kids from the neighborhood who "made it". I'd be thrilled to see them defy the odds and make a playoff run.

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Mavs trying to avoid going 0-5 tonight.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
Quote:

Knutreturns said:
go warriors...i really hope don nelson knows what hes doing

He's moving Mike Dunleavy to PG on the logic that since he can't rebound he may as well play a position where he isn't required to.

I guess the bench wasn't an option. Major diss on the guys sitting there.

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.
400+ posts
400+ posts
Does anyone here like the way technical fouls are being called this year?

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Quote:

jafabian said:
He's moving Mike Dunleavy to PG on the logic that since he can't rebound he may as well play a position where he isn't required to.

Nelly has always, always loved two things:

1.Tall white guys that can shoot

2.Big point guards

The only problem is, Dunleavy isn't nearly as good a shooter as people seem to think, and while he's a good passer for his size, the key words there are for his size.

Knutreturns should worry less about Nelly, and worry a whole lot more about Chrus Mullin, who in the span of a year gave $123 million to the trio of Derek Fisher, Adonal Foyle, and, most recently, Dunleavy.

That's a figure that would make Isiah Thomas blush.

Quote:

Brad Lee said:
Does anyone here like the way technical fouls are being called this year?

It's pretty stupid...by the end of the year I expect Rasheed to be so angry his brains actually leak out of the spot on his head.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I completely support Stern on this though. After the whole Pacer brawl in Detroit, you had to expect some things to tighten up. I grew up on a league where players wore suits at press conferences, suit coats and slacks on the road and simply put their hands on their hips and exhaled when they disagreed with the call. And then promptly went out and played their ass off in response. I am surprised at how tight the calls have been so soon though. I would have thought there'd be some leeway because there'd be some obvious adjustment on the players part but it seems to me the refs have been tired of a lot of antics over the years but haven't done anything about it on the premise that fans come to see players like Rasheed Wallace, Gary Payton, Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant and therefore should protect them.

However, the players are bitching so much and so loud I question if Stern might tell the refs to lighten up at some point.

jafabian #750937 2006-12-23 12:21 PM
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
27 games in, the atlantic division leader is the Toronto Raptors, with a half game lead over the New Jersey Nets. True, they're still under .500, and that division is one of the worst in history, but hey: I gladly accept the egg on my face! Provided it's egg, and not..."egg". I know how excitable those Canadians get.

I have gas.
2000+ posts
I have gas.
2000+ posts
I wonder if Phil Jackson will bail on the Lakers and jump to NY once Isiah is fired from the Knicks?

I wonder if Larry Brown will eventually take over for Mo Cheeks since he's a "consultant" for them anyways?

I wonder if newly hired Sonic team president Lenny Wilkens will fire Bob Hill and take over the coaching reigns until he sees that assistants Jack Sikma or Detlef Schrempf are ready to be head coach?

I wonder if Larry Bird might do the same to Rick Carlisle?

I wonder if Corey Magette will finish the year with the Clippers? Why Tim Thomas is starting ahead of him is beyond me.

I wonder if Juanita Jordan will go running back to her former fiance, Reggie Theus, and in response Michael will go out and rack up 50 points on him?

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Corey Maggette is probably the player most likely to be traded. They didn't play him much last year, either.

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Animalman

Finals
Spurs over Cavs

Hey, how 'bout that.

I guess, on that note, I'll restart this. 2008 season begins tomorrow night with doubleheader on TNT.

Mavs open season Wednesday against Cleveland on ESPN.

I'll post some quick predictions:

Atlantic: Boston, New Jersey, Toronto, New York, Philadelphia
Central: Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Indiana
Southeast: Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Washington, Charlotte
Northwest: Utah, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Minnesota
Pacific: Phoenix, LA Lakers, Golden State, LA Clippers, Sacremento
Southwest: San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis

NBA Finals: Dallas over Boston
Yeah, whatever, somewhere in Australia Dirk unlocked some hidden power to never ever pussy out again and blam: championship. Who knows.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
hope the mavs dont get their ass handed to them by my warriors again...

actually...yes i do...

"I'm working with him...he's young but, there is much potential. He can apprentice with me and then he's yours for final training. He will remember the face of his father...

graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
i forget who the spurs play in the opening day doubleheader.

i think boston is just the popular pick.....they should be in the finals, but still, like last year could be detroit chicago, or hell even the cavs again.

i still think suns n mavs will do better during the season to lose to the spurs.

no suprise i pick s.a. to repeat and end all the silly dynasty arguements.
hell, i have heard them callin bo sox a dynasty for 2 in 4, yet people argue bout whether 3 in 5 and 4 in 9 is dynasty material.

only things i have actually paid attention to during the offseason was hill going to phoenix, did the suns ever trade/lose marion?

mavs stayed somewhat the same. (dirk's a chump)

houston got scola, i was bummed the spurs practically gave him away.

and the boston trades.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
another good game against the mavs. and they got the W this time. I swear if we could make free throws we would have one at least two of our games already. Instead we're still looking for win number one...

graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
meh, spurs are where i expected them, doing really well, with a loss here, a loss there. nothing big really. horry hasn't even suited up yet, lol

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
they wont need him till the playoffs anyway so he can get the other teams players suspended again...

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
Atlantic
Boston
Toronto
New Jersey
Philadelphia
New York

Central
Chicago
Detroit
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Indiana

Southeast
Orlando
Washington
Miami
Atlanta
Charlotte

Northwest
Utah
Denver
Seattle
Minnesota
Portland

Pacific
Phoenix
Golden State
LA Lakers
LA Clippers
Sacramento

Southwest
San Antonio
Dallas
Houston
New Orleans
Memphis

MVP: Kevin Garnett
6th Man:
Rookie of the Year: Al Horford
Defensive Player of the Year: Marcus Camby
Most Improved: Kelenna Azubuike
Coach of the Year: Rick Adelman

He fixes the cable?
TK-069 #887795 2007-11-09 6:49 PM
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
not bad predictions there tk...

TK-069 #889239 2007-11-10 6:30 AM
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: TK-069
Atlantic
Boston
Toronto
New Jersey
Philadelphia
New York

Central
Chicago
Detroit
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Indiana

Southeast
Orlando
Washington
Miami
Atlanta
Charlotte

Northwest
Utah
Denver
Seattle
Minnesota
Portland

Pacific
Phoenix
Golden State
LA Lakers
LA Clippers
Sacramento

Southwest
San Antonio
Dallas
Houston
New Orleans
Memphis

MVP: Kevin Garnett
6th Man: MANU GINOBILI
Rookie of the Year: Al Horford
Defensive Player of the Year: Marcus Camby
Most Improved: Kelenna Azubuike
Coach of the Year: Rick Adelman

fixed it, since they decided to have him come off the bench.
and c'mon knute, you saw the replay, as much of a shot as horry gave, it was no where near as intentional, or hard as nash made it seem. upon the hundreds of replays i saw the actual hit, (true twas a good one) then the extra flare nash added.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
i stand by my original statement

graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts

much nash's fault for overselling a good shot, as it was stoudamire and diaw's.
if he hadn't tried his best to make sure horry was gone (when that was assured) he got the other 2 too angry, rules be rules.

besides..... i haven't ever heard the spurs complain about what is called by sports writers at best to be the dubious calls during the spurs/mavs series in 06. but suns fans, good lord they can whine

Last edited by big_pimp_tim; 2007-11-10 8:34 AM. Reason: meh
Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: K-nutreturns
i stand by my original statement

graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
\:\(

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
So, the rosters for the ’08 NBA All-Star game are official.

EAST
Jason Kidd*
Dwyane Wade*
LeBron James*
Kevin Garnett*
Dwight Howard*
Chauncey Billups
Richard Hamilton
Caron Butler
Paul Pierce
Chris Bosh
Joe Johnson
Antawn Jamison

WEST
Allen Iverson*
Kobe Bryant*
Carmello Anthony*
Tim Duncan*
Yao Ming*
Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Dirk Nowitzki
David West
Amare Stoudemire
Brandon Roy
Carlos Boozer

* denotes starters

The All Star game is for the fans, so there isn’t much point in analyzing “who got snubbed”, etc. I am perplexed by Allen Iverson starting at a position he doesn’t play, though.

Overall, you’ve got a few borderline selections(Pierce, Roy, Jamison), and a few flat-out mistakes(Kidd, Johnson), like every year.

The game will be on Sunday in New Orleans, which is cool. Looking at the rosters, it should be a pretty decent game, too. While the difference in quality of teams is certainly significant, the East can match up star against star, unlike recent previous(Garnett-less) years.

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts
baron davis was robbed!!!

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts

I'll post some quick predictions:

Atlantic: Boston, New Jersey, Toronto, New York, Philadelphia
Central: Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Indiana
Southeast: Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Washington, Charlotte
Northwest: Utah, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Minnesota
Pacific: Phoenix, LA Lakers, Golden State, LA Clippers, Sacremento
Southwest: San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis

NBA Finals: Dallas over Boston
Yeah, whatever, somewhere in Australia Dirk unlocked some hidden power to never ever pussy out again and blam: championship. Who knows.

Half-way point has been passed, so it's fair to revisit these for a moment.

4 out of 6 conference winners isn't bad. Obviously, the Hornets have risen far higher and far faster than I imagined. If the MVP was divided by conference, Chris Paul would be an easy choice in my opinion(and he belongs in the discussion overall anyway). I guess they did what I thought the Bulls would. Looking at the two teams, I can see why. I have always thought that while the Bulls had a lot of young talent, they didn't have a young player with obvious superstar potential. Deng comes close, but injuries have slowed his development this year. He's the only guy on the team who's offensive game isn't limited either to low percentage jumpshots or garbage points in the paint.

My Finals prediction is looking a little dingy now, but I will stand by it because blind, stubborn faith is my last resort. Certainly the biggest surprise for me this season has been the way in which two smart, highly competitive franchises so badly panicked and succumbed to idiotic peer pressure with reactionary, kneejerk(and potentially title-shot crippling) trades. If the money could have worked, I wouldn't have minded Shaq on the Mavs, but on the Suns...well, obviously, he just doesn't fit.

The Kidd debacle...a horribly painful experience all-around. I like watching Kidd play just as much as anybody, but he's fools' gold, man. Of the 64 NBA point guards, he's 62nd in turnover ratio. 62nd! And he shoots 36%!

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that so few realize Devin Harris is, at this stage in their respective careers, a better point guard than Kidd. Reputation means a lot in sports. Still, it's baffling, especially as a person who supported Cuban's decision to let Steve Nash leave on the basis that he was going to be too old and too costly, that Cuban would trade whatever flexibility he had for a guy who's even older and even more costly(and not as good). Why commit to something when you know it requires a level of patience you don't have?

Kneel!
10000+ posts
Kneel!
10000+ posts

The Kidd debacle...a horribly painful experience all-around. I like watching Kidd play just as much as anybody, but he's fools' gold, man. Of the 64 NBA point guards, he's 62nd in turnover ratio. 62nd! And he shoots 36%!

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that so few realize Devin Harris is, at this stage in their respective careers, a better point guard than Kidd. Reputation means a lot in sports. Still, it's baffling, especially as a person who supported Cuban's decision to let Steve Nash leave on the basis that he was going to be too old and too costly, that Cuban would trade whatever flexibility he had for a guy who's even older and even more costly(and not as good). Why commit to something when you know it requires a level of patience you don't have?

i guess that answers my question from the other thread...

I wouldn't have minded Shaq on the Mavs, but on the Suns...well, obviously, he just doesn't fit.

little early to be saying that. but we'll see...

graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
it started off lookin good. but he always starts off well with a new team.... i wanna see if it lasts.

and i agree, dallas was foolish for etting kidd. i didn;t want him 4 years or so ago on s.a. for parker.

Link Copied to Clipboard