OF-Carlos Beltran
OF-Mike Cameron
OF-Andruw Jones
P-Greg Maddux

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Yeah, now I know nobody puts much stock in defensive stats(and, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of them, myself), but I think it's worth pointing out that Derek Jeter was dead last among qualified AL shortstops in range factor. Last. Even among unqualifed, he's still below everyone who made at least 50 starts at the position.

Now, granted, his RF has improved a good bit from where he was before, in '01 or '02 or '03. Those seasons, he was also last, of course, but he posted a sub-4 RF, and basically, a sub-4 RF means you're barely covering half the area a gold glove shortstop should.

I don't think Jeter is the worst defensive shortstop in the AL, but no real argument exists that he's the best, outside of "that one time he dove into the stands" or "he's handsome." RF isn't the only stat that has Jeter low. zone rating has him third to last, as does runs prevented, fielding win shares places him 10th in the AL among shortstops...basically, of the many defensive metrics out there, not a single one has him as a top five defender. So, he really has no business winning three Gold Gloves. Juan Uribe would have been my pick. He's a lot better with the glove than Jeter.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Yeah, now I know nobody puts much stock in defensive stats(and, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of them, myself), but I think it's worth pointing out that Derek Jeter was dead last among qualified AL shortstops in range factor. Last. Even among unqualifed, he's still below everyone who made at least 50 starts at the position.

Now, granted, his RF has improved a good bit from where he was before, in '01 or '02 or '03. Those seasons, he was also last, of course, but he posted a sub-4 RF, and basically, a sub-4 RF means you're barely covering half the area a gold glove shortstop should.

I don't think Jeter is the worst defensive shortstop in the AL, but no real argument exists that he's the best, outside of "that one time he dove into the stands" or "he's handsome". At best, he's average to slightly-below average. Either way, he has no business winning three Gold Gloves. Juan Uribe would have been my pick. He's a lot better with the glove than Jeter.

That's cause Uribe uses KY with you and is more gentle!

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
Also:

-I think Brandon Inge should have gotten the nod at third base. Chavez won it because of a low error total(and generally, error totals are not a good way to determine fiedling worth) and because Inge isn't a very good hitter. Still, Inge is really good, especially given how little he's actually played there.

-Corey Patterson is probably the best defensive centerfielder in the game right now. Given how gimpy Torii Hunter was towards the end of the year, I think he should have been in there instead. Unfortunately, dethroning a gold glover is pretty difficult.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I think you should get off of Corey Patterson's leg!

10000+ posts
OP Offline
10000+ posts
NL GG's announced, and Greg Maddux won his 16th, which ties him with Jim Kaat for most in history.

Pujols and Beltran are both very deserving first time winners. Vizquel is, of course, a fine defender, but I think Adam Everett is the best defender at any position. He's a beast with the glove(which almost makes up for the fact that he's terrible at the plate).

Pretty standard fare this year. A lot of awards based on reputation, rather than performance. You'd think the voters wouldn't be so lazy.

Link Copied to Clipboard