Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
few posts
OP Offline
few posts
Hi there!

A lot of you have been enquiring as to the whereabouts of The Mole at 1700 – the undercover agent who used to print snippets of information on forthcoming DC titles in the previews section of their comics. Well, it turns out that his cover was blown. Someone I know on the fifth floor says that they saw him being dragged into an elevator, which went down to the subbasement of the building. I’ve heard rumours that Geoff Johns worked him over in the boiler room and then dumped the body in the Mississippi river. I went ahead and queried this since (what with us being based in NYC and all) I figured that it would make more sense to dispose of a body in the Hudson. Anyway I got this memo back:

Quote:

TO: Wondrous.Platinum.Owl

RE: The secret execution of the Mole at 1700

MESSAGE: You fuck! If Johns says that he dumped the body in the Mississippi then that’s where he dumped the fucking body! Don’t you fucking waste my time again, you fucking fuck!

Hey, that told me!

I hope Paul’s memo clears things up for everyone. I guess that it’s true what they say - Spying don’t pay.

As you probably know the American comics industry is currently embroiled in a Big Tobacco-style lawsuit! It turns out that some of the kids who read our comics back in the 50s and 60s never lost their virginity. Now we are being sued on the grounds that our comic books stunt sexual maturity and cause obesity. As curator of the archives at DC comics and an avid comic book reader myself, let me assure everyone out there that you have as much chance of getting laid as the next overweight, Klingon-speaking, socially-retarded freak in an Aquaman costume.

Hey, I’m just kidding!

You know, people often say to me: “Mister Owl, I bet that you have some great stories about working for a world-renowned comic book publisher. Why don’t I rock rhythmically back-and-forth on your lap while you tell me all about it.”

Well to be honest kiddo it’s slim pickings. When it comes to amusing anecdotes and interesting personalities, comic book publishing is on par with the sheet metal-working industry.

Sure, there’s a few famous stories like that incident during the war when DC claimed that its comics were inked using the blood of slain German soldiers and sold all those full length Superman posters on the guarantee that eight pints of Nazi gore was used to colour each cape. Then later it was revealed that they were really using cows’ blood.

I'm afraid that stories like that are pretty thin on the ground. Having said that, every few years or so, something of note does happen. Today I thought that I would throw open the archives and shine some light on one of the lesser-known incidents in the long history of DC comics. So make yourself a glass of Tang, pull up a beanbag, sit back and enjoy:

THE PLOT TO GIVE BATMAN ECZEMA!

In 1992 a teenage writer by the name of Augustine Lee approached DC comics with an audacious plan. He boldly claimed that if his idea was taken on board it would change the face of comics forever, while the actual covers would remain as they were, and would still feature large-breasted women in tight catsuits.

Up until this time superheroes had always been portrayed as the embodiment of everything that was noble and good about the human race. Lee’s concept was simple: What if these costumed paragons were in fact weak, simpering individuals, riddled with human frailties? What if Wonder Woman caught a cold and couldn’t stop sneezing? What if Superman was dyslexic and borderline illiterate? What if Batman had eczema?

Lee seemed particularly willing to explore the Batman angle. As part of his proposal to DC he submitted a detailed script for a six issue arc, provisionally titled The Skin Deep. The story follows Batman as he struggles to come to terms with an outbreak of eczema on his back which, in his ignorance, he blames on The Joker.

There are many moving scenes in the script, including this touching interaction between Batman and Commissioner Gordon:

Quote:

COMMISIONER GORDON: “I’m giving myself 24 more hours to hunt down the source of this eczema, then I’m throwing myself off the force.”

Batman stands silhouetted in profile. His hands are planted rigidly on the edge of Gordon’s desk and he is hunched-over. All that we can see of his facial features is the white slit of one eye and his lower jaw, which has cemented into a hardened scowl.

BATMAN: “Jim, you don’t have to do this.”

COMMISIONER GORDON: (eyes lowered, brow furrowed with age and concern) “Yes I do Bruce.”

In the climatic scene Batman very nearly kills The Joker, who is only saved by the timely intervention of Alfred the Butler:

Quote:

BATMAN: “Joker, you gave me eczema.”

JOKER: “It warms my heart that you’ve finally found an itch you can scratch!”

ROBIN: “Batman, I’ll distract him with a series of acrobatic leaps and tumbles, while you deploy the Batnet!”

BATMAN: “Not this time Robin. This time he’s going to pay. Hand me the Batzooka.”

ALFRED: “Batman stop! Even though I have no personal connection to you per-se and know nothing of the man who lurks beneath your mysterious black cowl, I have been researching your family tree. Your eczema is an hereditary condition! Your grandfather ‘Batgrandad’ had it, as did his grandfather!”

At the end of Lee’s arc Batman’s eczema is cured by a new steroid cream developed by Wayne Industries. A final, full-page panel shows Robin, naked but for a white bath towel wrapped around his waist, massaging the salve into the muscular contours of Bruce Wayne’s bare back.

Lee conceded that if DC didn’t want to make Batman’s eczema part of the continuity it could be incorporated into an other worlds story – perhaps a hard-bound graphic novel, featuring indecipherable photo-artwork from Dave Mckean. However, after a long discussion, his concept of physically flawed superheroes was rejected by DC. As is the case for all rejectees who have deigned to show up at DC Headquarters in person, he was soundly beaten for wasting everyone’s time and then thrown into the street from a first-storey window, with the understanding that, if he made a second unsuccessful submission, he would be departing from the building via the second floor.

Who knows what might have happened had Lee been a little less smarmy and had not behaved like such an obnoxious prick when Neil Gaiman bought him a Pepsi, instead of the Diet Doctor Pepper he ordered?

It might be that one of our greatest comic book heroes could count a nasty skin condition as one of his recurring enemies.

"Season three of The Wire opens with two towers being blown up. This initiates a dumb and protracted war. Now people will come to me and ask, 'Is there a metaphor here?' Well what the fuck do you think?"

- David Simon
cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wondrous.Platinum.Owl

As you probably know the American comics industry is currently embroiled in a Big Tobacco-style lawsuit! It turns out that some of the kids who read our comics back in the 50s and 60s never lost their virginity.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Are you Greg Rucka?

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts

yes.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
What makes you think its Rucka?

Whoever he is, he's funny.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: harleykwin
owner of a lonely heart!

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
this is what I get for missing rehersals...

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: harleykwin
What makes you think its Rucka?

Whoever he is, he's funny.

Yeah. It's Rucka.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Its backwards 7

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
It's fucking hilarious.

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
backwards7 is Greg Rucka?

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
Show of hands as to who was inquiring about this "Mole".

Yeah thought so.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
That was nasty, Jeremy.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Uschi
It's fucking hilarious.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
That was nasty, Jeremy.

But not as nasty as giving Batman eczema.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

100+ posts
100+ posts

Link Copied to Clipboard