Print Thread
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080125/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_britain_castle
 Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - A farmer built an entire mock castle behind a screen of hay bales and lived there concealed for four years to evade planning regulations, officials said on Friday -- but it may be torn down anyway.

Robert Fidler hopes to take advantage of a provision of planning law that allows buildings without planning permission to be declared legal if no objections have been made after four years

But Reigate and Banstead Borough Council in Surrey is not impressed.

"It does not count because the property was hidden behind hay bales," said a spokeswoman. "No one knew it was there."

The council wants the building near Redhill some 30 km south of London to be demolished, along with an associated conservatory, marquee structure, wooden bridge, patio, decking and tarmac racecourse.

"It looks like a mock-Tudor house from the front and it's got two turrets at the back," the spokeswoman said. "I understand there is also a cannon."

The couple would have been unlikely to get planning permission as the farm was in "green belt" land where building was restricted, she said. A hearing takes place in February.

Fidler's wife Linda told the Daily Mail newspaper the children grew up looking at straw out of the windows of the house and that they kept their son away from playschool on the day his class were due to do paintings of their houses.

"We couldn't have him drawing a big blue haystack," she said. "People might ask questions."

Planning inspectors had been called to the site by concerned neighbours shortly before Fidler took the hay bales down in summer 2006 but had not seen the house.

"When the inspectors went there, all they saw was hay bales and hay bales on agricultural land are not that unusual," the spokeswoman said.

"I think the neighbours thought there might be something going on but it is difficult to tell, isn't it?"

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
What a bunch of jerks! Let the man have his castle--Or at least give him a horse in exchange for knocking down his hard work.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080125/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_britain_castle
 Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - A farmer built an entire mock castle behind a screen of hay bales and lived there concealed for four years to evade planning regulations, officials said on Friday -- but it may be torn down anyway.

Robert Fidler hopes to take advantage of a provision of planning law that allows buildings without planning permission to be declared legal if no objections have been made after four years

But Reigate and Banstead Borough Council in Surrey is not impressed.

"It does not count because the property was hidden behind hay bales," said a spokeswoman. "No one knew it was there."

The council wants the building near Redhill some 30 km south of London to be demolished, along with an associated conservatory, marquee structure, wooden bridge, patio, decking and tarmac racecourse.

"It looks like a mock-Tudor house from the front and it's got two turrets at the back," the spokeswoman said. "I understand there is also a cannon."

The couple would have been unlikely to get planning permission as the farm was in "green belt" land where building was restricted, she said. A hearing takes place in February.

Fidler's wife Linda told the Daily Mail newspaper the children grew up looking at straw out of the windows of the house and that they kept their son away from playschool on the day his class were due to do paintings of their houses.

"We couldn't have him drawing a big blue haystack," she said. "People might ask questions."

Planning inspectors had been called to the site by concerned neighbours shortly before Fidler took the hay bales down in summer 2006 but had not seen the house.

"When the inspectors went there, all they saw was hay bales and hay bales on agricultural land are not that unusual," the spokeswoman said.

"I think the neighbours thought there might be something going on but it is difficult to tell, isn't it?"

faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
sad

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts

Not bad for a rook-ie.

This is not vengeance. This is pun-ishment.

"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability." — Edgar Allan Poe
faggot
15000+ posts
faggot
15000+ posts
hot. I wanna storm the fuck outta that castle. BURG! Come up with a battle-plan! I want to live there!

Old men, fear me! You will shatter under my ruthless apathetic assault!

Uschi - 2
Old Men - 0

"I am convinced that this world is of no importance, and that the only people who care about dates are imbeciles and Spanish teachers." -- Jean Arp, 1921

"If Jesus came back and saw what people are doing in his name, he would never never stop throwing up." - Max von Sydow, "Hannah and Her Sisters"
500+ posts
500+ posts
no shit, that castle is nice. they should let him keep it. i don't understand why they wont let him. who's it bothering so much

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
How do neighbors not see a castle being built?!?

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts

I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I won't lie... the whole "it doesn't count" argument is pretty funny. Cool castle, though.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Fuck him. The city should blow that thing to pieces.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
But he's got a cannon. Soon as he sees 'em coming he'll start loading that sucker up. Nothin' like having 50 pounds of iron crash through your windshield to deter you from kickin' someone outta their castle.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
why does andrew get to build a castle? if he builds a castle. we'll all build a castle. it will be anarchy!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: PCG342
But he's got a cannon. Soon as he sees 'em coming he'll start loading that sucker up. Nothin' like having 50 pounds of iron crash through your windshield to deter you from kickin' someone outta their castle.

Pistol beats cannon. Less loading time.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Mr. Perkins?

Stone is kinda sorta pretty good at stopping most bullets. Except these.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
A bazooka would be better. More damage and destruction!

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: PCG342
Mr. Perkins?

Stone is kinda sorta pretty good at stopping most bullets. Except these.

Heh, I made my Bazooka post before I saw your post.. yeah, that would work pretty damn good, too!

life." - Tuvok.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Yeah, but most normal American police departments don't carry anti-tank weapons.
... Which pretty much rules out the 20mm.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Heh.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
That is my favorite scene from Doctor Stranglove.

life." - Tuvok.

Link Copied to Clipboard